Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby Grasshopper » August 31st, 2018, 9:32 pm

OK, so here we are! I had to finish the labour off by myself :o and it took a LOT of pushing!! :shock: :shock:

However - I made it!

I've named this one 'Tony' for the reason stated on the previous Chatterbox.

So - used teabags in the usual place please!

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby StokeySue » August 31st, 2018, 9:56 pm

Hello Tony! Well done Grassy :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 31st, 2018, 10:04 pm

I think that was induced... ;)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » August 31st, 2018, 10:04 pm

I think that was induced... ;)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » September 1st, 2018, 5:09 am

Two be sure two be sure, Bonjouriono peeps, lovely sunrise here and it's sarong weather at 6am UK time. I have been bitten, but am prepared to put up with that for a view of Versuvius in the distance in the bay of Naples - delightful !

We are aiming to walk to the castle this morning and maybe back to the harbour for lunch. Some interesting folk staying here at this hotel (small and family run) set up on a hillside at the back of the harbour, there are steps down but back up will be a hike, they do have a shuttle bus but need to find out how that is operated.

The pool is one of the naturally heated (volcanic) springs and a swimming hat has to be worn ! I have bought a disposable shower cap with and hope that will suffice as I hate anything tight on my head.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 1st, 2018, 5:37 am

Good Morning Wild Ones and welcome Tony. Zosh, for some reason I thought that you had gone to Corsica, was that last time? Then remembered that you are in Ischia.
There should be some good food :D

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 1st, 2018, 5:43 am

Morning all! Hope that Grassy is having a well earned rest this morning!

Up bright and early for work. Definitely chilly this morning to greet September.

What a palaver with Waterstones Rats. At work we are entitled to join a benefits/rewards scheme - this is common these days. It means that with certain stores one can get a card which is topped up via direct debit each month and there is a small % saving on the amount spent. I set one up when GD was born as my present to them was to pay for nappies and they just had the automatically topped up card to use for them. I have just looked at the website and we can get an 'Easy Saver' top up card for Waterstones. Obviously it is set up via the company that deals with the benefits but it might benefit companies like Waterstones to offer something similar to all customers as they would get a regular income up front.

Sounds lovely Zosh!! Sounds as though you need to start eating Marmite to keep the creatures off. I discovered recently that antihistamines help control the inflammation and itching caused by bites.
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 1st, 2018, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 1st, 2018, 7:01 am

Good morning all :) Welcome to Tony :D and Well Done! to Grassy! :cocktail: :cocktail: Good job it’s Saturday ... you can put your feet up :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 1st, 2018, 7:08 am

Good morning wild ones. Welcome Tony, well done grassy, I hope the birth wasn't too traumatic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 1st, 2018, 7:55 am

Hello Tony! :D :wave:

Have a lovely sunny day Wildies :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 1st, 2018, 8:30 am

Morning all, and morning Tony. Grassy - I could detect the onset of labour last night but couldn't keep my eyes open for the imminent 'pop'. I hope you aren't too sore. :lol:

16° here already. I had a day wandering around in a daze yesterday after hearing family news from Spain. Sat like a zombie in the library for a bit and came away with a Gino D'Campo veggie cookbook which has some delightful recipes in, a marshmallows cookery book which includes a vegan base recipe and lots of good looking flavour and presentation ideas, and two travel books; Sicily and the Greek Islands. Me and a friend have put one or the other on our 'to-do-list' for when we get back into work. Lovely weekend reading there!

Today a walk will be had, and although I did want a veggie haggis either tonight or tomorrow night, I couldn't find one anywhere, but did bag me some veggie mince, so a very spicy chilli is on the cards.

Have fun folks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 1st, 2018, 8:46 am

Good morning
I think round here they only stock haggis from Hogmanay to Burns Night - it’s a short season!

I’ve got a friend coming over and I’ve planned fairly autumnal food hope it’s not too warm for it. I’ve got a guinea fowl for Sunday lunch, wondering whether to try Spencer’s lentils with it. Haven’t got any Madeira though

I’ll maybe check with her

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 1st, 2018, 8:48 am

Good morning everyone,
Well done Grassy :hi5:
Yesterday was lovely- sunny & warm so I spent most of it outdoors tidying and potting up winter pansies :) . Today it's back to gloomy and wet :( . I shall head off to the library once I've finished a :mug: . If the weather doesn't pick up I'll be quite happy with a duvet kind of day :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 1st, 2018, 9:33 am

I am in the middle of placing various mail order items, Lakeland can wait until this afternoon. They will come via DHL, DHL refuse to deliver up here in the villages. Deb has an appointment in Limassol on Thursday so I drive to the DHL office to collect my parcels whilst she is there.
It makes me cross as DHL are not providing the service that the vendor has paid for, UPS deliver here.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2018, 9:34 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Well done Grassy!

Mr R was obliged to wear a sweater when he did a solo run to the market this morning. It was a mere 16C!
Meanwhile i've been making progress with the curries and have included a fresh okra one having discovere some amazingly young fresh ones on Thursady when I went to buy the fruit for the platter.

Ive made the naaaans but I can't decide if I should do rice as well.

Sounds a lovely place to be Zosh. Watch out for those bitey things though. There are some very nasty ones around this year.

I was amazed at Waterstone's short sightedness too em. Everyone else in the family thought it was a brilliant idea.

Have a lovely weekend everyone
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 1st, 2018, 9:49 am

OK
Burning question
Because I was wearing more skirts in the hot weather I decided to also go back to wearing my Posh Shoes. They are Clark’s very simple with a single strap over the instep. They fit well, plenty of room to wriggle my toes. But although they seem very comfortable for the first couple of hours, then my little toes start to feel sore.

Investigation reveals that although the front of the shoe is a smooth shell with no markings on the outside, the lining is pieced, and the seam is rubbing my poor little toesies

So my question is - do other people have the same problem with seam in shoes, especially in linings?

This isn’t the only pair I’ve had problems with, I’ve had two pairs of Eska sandals both of which had the lining sewn in with nylon filament that acted like miniature barbed wire and a pair of boots with a seam like a rib down the back of the heel. Before anyone says - thought I’d checked the second pair of sandals really thoroughly :(

Am I suffering alone?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 1st, 2018, 2:44 pm

I had the same problem with some lightweight walking boots.
A vertical seam on the lining of the heels left me with enormous blisters and I returned the boots.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 1st, 2018, 3:00 pm

Zosherooney wrote: I have been bitten, but am prepared to put up with that for a view of Versuvius in the distance in the bay of Naples - delightful !

Keep Mr Z under control Zosh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Grassy :tu:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 1st, 2018, 3:27 pm

StokeySue wrote:So my question is - do other people have the same problem with seam in shoes, especially in linings

Yes, I have to examine all shoes very carefully to check for seams
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 2nd, 2018, 5:02 am

Up with the lark, the air conditioning went on last night as it was close. The rain stopped yesterday around 10.30am so we walked into town. It was heaving but with a lot leaving on ferries and hydrofoils, seems it is back to work for a lot on Monday. Found a shop run by a 20 something girl making sandals. I was like a kid in a sweet shop ! As I will be celebrating on Wednesday I have chosen a design and Maria will be constructing them for me. I can collect them this evening. Here is her website https://www.mariarosariaferrara.com I have chosen a rich mauve with a subtle bling and a small heel. My left foot is slightly swollen (it always happens as soon as I step onto an aircraft) so she will be tailoring it to fit my fat foot.

We found a good supermarket and bought some local red wine. We were collected by the hotel shuttle bus as 3pm and had some bread, ham, salami, tomatoes, cuc that we did not eat at brekkie. I did have a glass of wine :o and admit to a snooze late pm.

We chose to eat at the hotel again as we had been out and about during the day. Today is dry and breezy but the forecast says it might rain again, we plan to sit on sunbeds, read, swim in the thermally heated swimming pool and then supper in town this evening
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2018, 6:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
Zosherooney wrote:Today is dry and breezy but the forecast says it might rain again, we plan to sit on sunbeds, read, swim in the thermally heated swimming pool and then supper in town this evening

It is going to be a busy Zosh :lol: Hot here too but no rain forecast. Isn't lovely having sandals made for you
It is the big return to work here tomorrow too but the schools are closed for a couple more weeks

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 6:16 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Glad you’re having a good time Zosh 8-)
It’s a beautiful morning here ... blue skies, not a hint of cloud, and really mild ... it’s also very quiet ... not even a crow is making a sound at the moment ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 2nd, 2018, 6:56 am

Good morning wild ones. Not so bright here, in fact it looks like it's about to rain. Last night it seemed like everyone in the neighbourhood had the last BBQ before the children go back to school tomorrow. It will be very quiet here from Monday until half term. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2018, 7:19 am

Morning all! Up with the lark again - looking forward to a lie-in tomorrow. Sounds lovely where you are Zosh.

I've not had problems with seams inside shoes but the back of the shoe can be a problem. I bought quite an expensive pair of light walking shoes earlier in the year and took them to Australia. They were so comfortable I wore them without socks but after walking about a mile they started to rub and after two miles my ankles were in quite a bad way. To this day the backs feel smooth and nice, unlike some shoes so it was most annoying. I spent most of the rest of the trip with large dressings on my ankles.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2018, 9:45 am

I wanted an aubergine to make Baba Ghanoush, I decided against the supermarket and to pop into the little vegetable shop in Kantou. There were no aubergines displayed so I enquired about Melitzane (aubergine), the lady went out of the back door and into the house at the back returning with a box of aubergines. No, I don't know why they were in the house either. The vegetables probably come from their own fields and a family member had just delivered them.
It is Baked Feta, Baba Ghanoush, Tomato Salad, a commercially prepared red pepper dip for lunch together with grilled Mediterranean Rolls. I am not sure about the wine yet, there is a good local rose in the fridge.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 2nd, 2018, 10:18 am

Good morning everyone,
Fab sounding lunch Moira :)
I had the same problem with a pair of Clarks shoes Sue that sound similiar to yours, I ended up taking them back. I did get my money back though they were reluctant at first.
Forecast changed overnight to be damp & murky again though it's very mild. Like yesterday it's due to clear late afternoon for a bit so I might see some more planes though will try and spot the Red Arrows if I can. :)
Lunch will be chicken salad using up leftover chicken and roast veg from last night, tonight I think will be either spaghetti & meatballs or "salisbury" steak & mushrooms with spuds & veg. I have burgers & meatballs in the freezer so minimal prep needed for either. I'll see what I fancy later. It would have been the mid 70s before I had a burger in a bun (birthday treat at the "Wimpy") at home, we always had them with gravy and mash and I've retained a fondness for them this way. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am

Oooh ltc - that was how we had beefburgers too! You're making me hungry. :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 2nd, 2018, 10:53 am

earthmaiden wrote:Oooh ltc - that was how we had beefburgers too! You're making me hungry. :chops:

Sorry, I could make enough for two if you can hang on until this evening? ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 11:24 am

Roast belly of pork with sage & onion, roasties, baked apples and runner beans will be happening here later .... but first there's the small matter of some garden borders to edge now that OH has cut the grass ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 2nd, 2018, 1:02 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

We were not up with the lark or any other bird as our curry party went on @til late as they say. managed to throw most things in the dish washer lasts night before collapsing. I think we are all getting too old for this lark. It was fun though :bounce:

When Mr got up to the viiage for a paper and a baguette there was a brocante ("Antiques" market) in full swing so it was impossible to park. However M Victor from the paper shop spotted him and ran out with the baby telling him he can pay next week! Had to do without the bread though.

I popped a veal roast into the oven for lunch with baby potatoes, cabbage from our Kent friend and roasted beets. The veal wasn't wonderful -wrong cut but as Mr R was solo shopping he didn't realise. We had some cheese and the rest of the exotic fruit + a few bits made into a lovely fruit salad.

I'm also sorry we bought any Sunday papers because they both contain nothing but gloom and doom. I just don't feel i need it.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 2:05 pm

Afternoon all.

Haven't felt much up to posting these past few days, but reading back it seems like most of us were up with the lark today! What a beautiful day we have had here. A lovely blue sky with a just right cool breeze. I managed to acquire a Jane Austin colouring book yesterday so have been immersing myself in that today. I did have a lovely walk earlier. I almost didn't go out, but what I can only describe as an armour plated insect landed on my ankle and scared the life out me! It was huge, and it is still in here somewhere but I can't find It! :terrified: It was a light brown and green colour, almost square in shape, I'd say a bit larger than a postage stamp. Any ideas?

Laundry is done and hung out to dry. Shouldn't take long in this heat. I think I shall put my feet up with a book until Dragon's Den. Nodding of the head is imminent. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

I have had to phone Lakeland as I could not place an order on line, I could not remember my password, despite frequent attempts I could not get a new one. It must be their system as I got an immediate e mail confirmation of my order. Luckily I had my customer number on the back on the catalogue, this saves having to spell our address which, of course is Greek.

Tezza, that sounds like a beetle.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 2nd, 2018, 3:41 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:what I can only describe as an armour plated insect landed on my ankle and scared the life out me! It was huge, and it is still in here somewhere but I can't find It! :terrified: It was a light brown and green colour, almost square in shape, I'd say a bit larger than a postage stamp. Any ideas?

Sounds like a Green Shield Bug to me Tezza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_shield_bug
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 2nd, 2018, 3:54 pm

Seatallan wrote:Sounds like a Green Shield Bug to me Tezza.

Do you stick them in a book and save them towards a tea set or something?

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2018, 3:54 pm

My daughter says the same … :tu: ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 2nd, 2018, 3:56 pm

Rats, forgive me but did you say Mr R is going back to pay for the baby tomorrow? :shock:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 3:58 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Rats, forgive me but did you say Mr R is going back to pay for the baby tomorrow? :shock:

She did! She did! :shock: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 4:26 pm

Seatallan wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:what I can only describe as an armour plated insect landed on my ankle and scared the life out me! It was huge, and it is still in here somewhere but I can't find It! :terrified: It was a light brown and green colour, almost square in shape, I'd say a bit larger than a postage stamp. Any ideas?

Sounds like a Green Shield Bug to me Tezza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_shield_bug

:terrified: Yes! That's it! Still no sign of it..... :scared:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 2nd, 2018, 4:59 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:Do you stick them in a book and save them towards a tea set or something?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TeresaFoodie wrote:Yes! That's it! Still no sign of it..... :scared:

Glad I've solved mystery. Try behind curtains- they seem to like the back of curtains in my experience.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 5:35 pm

I haven't got any curtains up yet! :lol: It could be anywhere! It would be well camouflaged against everything in here apart from the walls. I guess they are just crawlers and it wouldn't be able to find its way out of a window. I am glad it wasn't a cockroach! I am hoping not to hear a crunch under foot any time soon....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2018, 7:31 pm

Shield bugs are harmless s Tezza
Have had a friend here all day
We had roast guinea fowl with stuffing, veg and potatoes done to a Nigel Skater recipe, supermarket washed new potatoes tossed in olive oil with salt, garlic, rosemary and blasted in a hot oven Definitely one to remember for when there are no good roasting potatoes in the summer :)

Have a good evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 2nd, 2018, 7:52 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Sounds like a Green Shield Bug to me Tezza.

Do you stick them in a book and save them towards a tea set or something?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 9:18 pm

My dad asked me if I could save them up and trade them in over at the Co-op. :lol: Harmless as they are, I wouldn't really want enough of them in here to be able to start a collection. I Haven't bumped into him again this evening. I hope he hasn't beat me to bed!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2018, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, our problem is not beetles but wasps, a couple of evenings ago they were so persistent that we had to bring our suppers indoors.

Very hot this morning, unseasonally warm according to the local paper. The humidity was so high yesterday evening that we turned on the sitting room A/C.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 3rd, 2018, 5:36 am

IMG_0843.JPG
Morning all, nuther sunny and warm one here. We lazed by the pool reading and snoozing most of the day and then walked into town down hundreds of steps and collected my new blingy handmade sandals. Very happy with them I am ! We had a long refreshing Peroni on the beach and watched the sun go down and the sea turned to molten pewter, we then shared a pizza and caught the shuttle but back to the hotel at 10am. 6 of us sat and put the world to rights until midnight. AC had to go on again as I had caught a bit of sun and was burning up.

I think we are going to catch a local bus and head off to some botanical gardens in the north of the island today, buses are cheap and plentiful and I can't sit in the sun as I am still a bit pink from yesterday.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2018, 6:36 am

Pretty Sandals, Zosh. Do be careful of the sun, it is still very strong at this time of year.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 3rd, 2018, 7:00 am

Good morning wild ones. Nice sandals Zosh :tu: I don't think sandals will be the shoe of choice here today, it looks like the rain we should have had last night, is going to appear this morning :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2018, 7:23 am

Morning all!

Pretty sandals Zosh. Enjoy the glorious weather where you can wear them while you can! Where you are sounds so lovely.

No work today, hooray! Pilates at lunchtime and 1001 odd jobs to catch up with otherwise.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2018, 7:42 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

:scared: Can't do bits between my toes ... very limiting when it comes to sandals but I've tried and I can't .... they do look pretty tho'.

Will have to be quick with my :mug: as I have to catch the 9.03 bus into the city ... I have an appointment at the Apple shop 'cos my phone isn't quite behaving as it should ... I also need some bits and bobs so today's the day ...

We woke to thick fog but the sun came out about an hour ago and it's burning off now ... looks like it's going to be a sunny day ... again 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2018, 8:25 am

suffolk wrote:Can't do bits between my toes

I can't either, which as you say Suffs is a bit limiting. Not that I have pretty feet anyway despite regular trips for a pedicure.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop