Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Au revoir Patsy :wave: :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2018, 5:11 pm

suffolk wrote:Whaddayamean EM? Are you saying you don't recall me looking that glamorous :shock: :cry:

Errrr, no. Just didn't recall your skin being pulled taut across your face :lol:.

Hope you have an interesting adventure Pat. :hug:

I have put the heating on <snugsmilie>
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm

:lol: :tu: Very good answer EM :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 17th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Good evening everyone,
It's been a lovely Autumn day here though very chilly too we have frost forecast overnight.
My heating has been on for bits and pieces for a few weeks now. I'm happy to pile on the layers but if I'm still cold then on it goes no matter the calendar date!
EM- I have an ancient fleece cardi I use for reading in bed when it's cold. I hate a warm bedroom so even in very cold weather I have the radiator only turned on very low.
I've not dyed my hair for over 5 years now, I had to stop either side of a neck operation and decided I quite liked my fading auburn so never restarted. Lots of folk think I've had highlights but it is just red getting paler and paler mixed with the grey and some that still strongly coloured.
My Dad came over for lunch but apart from that I've mainly been pottering about outdoors. I'm ready for a sit down now though while I catch up on last night's GBBO :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 18th, 2018, 5:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. The Cypriot airline, Cobalt Air has gone bust, it only did flights from Cyprus to Greece and London, there have been mutterings in the local press about their finances for the last week or so. They had new aircraft unlike BA whose aircraft rattle, when my Bro and SIL came on Easy Jet last month he said that it was a relief to travel on a quiet aircraft. Effie and Hari went to Chania, Crete on Cobalt last week, Effie was due back on Tuesday so should be safe.

Very grey here this morning, when I got up in the middle of the night I could not see the lights of the desalination plant, there must be fog over the marshes.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 18th, 2018, 6:17 am

After Mr. Z did another session on the hedge yesterday, we treated ourselves to a roast dinner at a local hostelry. It's a really good deal for £7.99 we had rare beef, gammon, turkey (all the trimmings) and as much veg as you can load on one plate. My gammon came home and the fluffs got the meet trimmings. We were stuffed !

He has now done the Birthday Certificate and we are happy with the result. Hope the Birthday girl is happy with her pressie.

Slobbed out for the rest of the day with only a snack in the evening.

Today Mr. Z has gone to work and I have bloods and ECG this morning. Might pop into town as it is market day, I must do my filo baking today, the sun will be out so the oven will be going on. I have my marinated pork joint to cook, not sure whether to oven or slow cook it ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 18th, 2018, 7:16 am

Good morning wild ones. Thursday again already :rolleyes: Shopping day again. For dinner last night we had stuffed heart, mashed potato, roast cauliflower, steamed cabbage and carrots with onion gravy :hungry: :chops: :drool: :drool: lovely :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 18th, 2018, 7:44 am

Morning all,

Woken this morning by my neighbour religious chanting at the top of his voice, like screaming.. It's not the first time. Has anyone else experienced it? It is definitely Christianity. I'm thinking there are much worse things my neighbours could be doing! But still, it wakes me up sometimes before 6am.

A second attempt at an eye test this week this afternoon. Wish me luck and have a good dsy all. :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 8:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Rather you than me Zosh ... I don't fancy the idea of mixing beef and gammon ... the two just don't go together in my mind. Glad you had a nice meal tho' .... good luck for the tests :tu:

icelesley wrote:For dinner last night we had stuffed heart,

Oooh, love stuffed heart ... haven't had it for ages (must remedy that).... ox or sheep? Ma used to do a stuffed and roasted ox heart she called Poor Man's Goose ... loved it. :hungry:

Tezza ... I'm not aware of any Christian denomination that requires screaming before sun-up :shock: ... are you sure it's not just very bad hymn singing ;) :lol: As you say, there's worse things neighbours could be doing, as you well know :hug: Hope he's not unwell in any way.

Today has started off bright and sunny and the forecast is dry so a load of jeans is going in the wash ... there are some black clouds over in the west tho' :rolleyes: OH is off to work in a bit and I'm planning to be in the studio for a while. Supper will be roasted butternut squash and sage risotto so that won't take long ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 18th, 2018, 8:59 am

Good morning everyone,
It was frosty when I got up so I was hoping for another bright & sunny day however, it's turned a bit cloudy now so fingers crossed it stays dry.
I've not much planned for today and bit of housework and I should really do some i**ning but that's about it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 9:16 am

suffolk wrote: there are some black clouds over in the west tho'

Phew! They've disappeared ... there's a load of jeans etc in the machine :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 18th, 2018, 10:24 am

Deb is off to the UK next Wednesday, luckily she had some Avios points to use up or she would have gone on Cobalt not BA. Local social media is full of people saying "I booked to fly with Cobalt on Friday, how shall I get home?" I bet that Ryanair and EasyJet are rubbing their hands.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 18th, 2018, 10:32 am

suffolk wrote:

Hope he's not unwell in any way.

I do feel quite sad for him as I believe that he is, and also it sounds like he has others taking advantage of him in the community. He's always very polite to me and my mum! It's a situation where, unlike previous neighbourly issues, this one is pulling at my heart strings. :sad:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2018, 10:35 am

interesting that an island named after copper uses (used) cobalt for their airline name.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 11:03 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:
suffolk wrote:

I do feel quite sad for him as I believe that he is, and also it sounds like he has others taking advantage of him in the community. He's always very polite to me and my mum! It's a situation where, unlike previous neighbourly issues, this one is pulling at my heart strings. :sad:

Tezza ... you're a kind and warmhearted person ... but beware .... if there are people taking advantage of him please don't get involved other than to alert social services or even police. Taking advantage of vulnerable people is a crime.
:hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 18th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Good Afternoon Wild Ones. We have blue sky and sunshine :tu: But it was misty early on this morning. The roasted lambs heart was divine last night, I must do it again sometime, the supermarket doesn't always have them in. I am waiting for a builder to come and look at my floor now. I have been saying to OH for ages it doesn't feel right. He pulled back the carpet and the tiles have moved in places, it looks like we will have to have a new floor laid :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 18th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

After a misty, clammy start the sun came out while we were on the way back from town. The supermarket was remarkably calm and quiet now the tourists have retreated. I found some fabulous dark navy blue coloured plates in Leclerc. The sort of thing I have been lusting for for ages. What's more they were only €2.35 each. After a bit of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Mr R relented so now i have to find 6 to throw out :lol:

Tezza I very much agree with Suffs. Please take care and if you continue to be concerned report it and keep full records Perhaps a local church could help with your concerns?

Zosh I don't see how it is possible to have three different dinners on one plate .. and for under £8.00. I just wouldn't have the nerve to overload my plate then walk out with half of it. As you know I do usually have a plastic bag in my reticule in case I am served too much - but that's when others serve me! I was stunned when we were handed a bag full of all the breads and pastries we were handed at Maison Pic last week - no-one could possibly have eaten them but I did wonder why they didn't just serve fewer and reduce the (rather steep) price
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Good afternoon
It’s beautifully sunny here in London
Safely returned from a lovely trip to Portugal, as always tired out by travelling back, though it went like clockwork
Taking it easy sorting out stuff and catching up on post, laundry etc.
Need to find some lunch
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Welcome home Sue :hug: glad you had a good time ... don't overdo the unpacking ... I find it's always happy to wait for you ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm

scullion wrote:interesting that an island named after copper uses (used) cobalt for their airline name.

They could not call it Cyprus Airways, the now defunct national carrier. I would guess that they went for a shade of blue. You have to allow for a word that sounds similar in both Greek and English
The Cypriot government hashttps://cyprus-mail.com/2018/10/18/s ... assengers/
offered some help. I suspect that is because a lot of influential people used Cobalt.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Welcome home Sue. I'm glad you had a good time. :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 18th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Same here Sue, we will get there one day.....

On the roast front, I was served the meat, one good slice of each which came with a yorkie, a chipolata saus. and a nugget of stuffing and I had a small spoon each of carrots, cheese cauli, broccoli. and about 4 mouthfuls of parsnip. I resisted the tatos as I prefer the veg. I prefer variety and TBH it was like a roast mezze, which suited my palate.

Today I had bloods taken and ECG which I was told was fine, but another Drs. appt on Monday to get all results. Town was painful as the roadworks are still there........They should have been finished in August !!!!

They were selling 2 large caulis for £1.50 on the market so me and another girl did the deal. My oven has been on and I now have with filo pastry, and Ckx. & mushroom pie, and a feta and spinach with a bit of nutmeg. A baked apple with sultanas where the core was and a baked onion. 2 small slices from the pork joint with fresh sage and garlic. The main marinated joint has been in the SC since 9am and smells delicious.

Mr. Z advises me he has a beef topside joint he will be bringing home :D .
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Glad you had a nice break Sue!

Rats - it is quite commonplace here to be offered slices of more than one kind of meat at a carvery and some are quite inexpensive. The chain Toby Carvery gives three very generous slices of each meat and if you don't want a mixture or want a smaller portion you almost have to shout at the person who is doling it out. After that, even if you only help yourself to small amounts of the many veggies on offer the plate is full (even more so if you have a Yorkshire pudding!). Thus, it is hard to create a normal sized meal and I think a lot of cats and dogs probably benefit! It's not surprising it's popular. I'm not keen on more than one kind of meat on my plate. I have a friend, brought up in a traditional Welsh coal mining village ( I.e. not overly well off) whose mother always cooked two different joints of meat on a Sunday and the friend thinks it a bit stingy if people only cook one!

Team meeting at work most of the day (yawn), but had time to whiz round IKEA and Sainsbury's afterwards. I didn't buy any but IKEA have orange and elderflower marmalade which I think sounds rather nice.
Last edited by earthmaiden on October 18th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Chipolatas and stuffing with slices of lovely rare roast beef ......... not for me

We've been to a few carveries with the outlaws (it saves MIL from cooking and us from the washing up) but I only ever have one type of meat and the appropriate accompaniments .... that way I really enjoy it :chops:

OH came home with some canned G&Ts .... a reward for having seriously pleased a Secret Shopper :tu: :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 18th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Evening all,

I haven't read back on all the happenings, but I hope everyone is ok!

suffolk wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:
suffolk wrote:

Tezza ... you're a kind and warmhearted person ... but beware .... if there are people taking advantage of him please don't get involved other than to alert social services or even police. Taking advantage of vulnerable people is a crime.
:hug:

Thanks for concerns on here regarding this. :hug: I had already told my housing officer about things here at my first tenancy visit and was asked to keep notes for them and not to get involved. So, after six months of doing this I asked them how long do I have to keep notes if nothing is going to get done! Around the same time as doing that, I was so concerned for his wellbeing (this was 3am after almost eight hours non stop noise, arguing, shouting, banging, etc) I called non emergency police, told them the council were dealing with the noise issue but that I felt concerned for his safety! They have made notes, apparently. I don't know if they came out or not because I had the job centre next day and had to pop earplugs in to get sleep. I did notice though that since that call the 'hangers on' have not visited much so it might have been the best thing I could have done. :tu:

I think tonight the central heating has to be properly Christened! Brrrr! A dinner of Quorn cottage pie with sweetheart cabbage, baby carrots and lots of gravy has been consumed, job centre first thing (again....) so I feel an early night could be in order.... :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Well done Tezza :tu:

Someone known to extended family (down south) was cuckoo'd by drug dealers ... they moved in, took over his flat and his benefits and forced him to deliver 'packages' for them ... he had a learning difficulty and emotional problems and hethought they were his friends ... he was eventually found dead in the street ... presumed having fallen and hit his head ... :rolleyes:

His neighbours said afterwards that they had thought something was going on but 'hadn't liked to say anything' .... if they'd done what you've done he could've been protected.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 18th, 2018, 6:31 pm

That's awful suffolk! I am actually putting two and two together and very sadly I believe very similar if not the same is happening here. I have already overheard arguments which indicate money and drugs are involved.... :rolleyes:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Then that information needs reporting to the police ... mention that you believe he's being 'Cuckoo'd'.

Lots of :hug: :hug: :hug: for you
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Wow! how scary, keep safe Tezza......and do sleep well..... now where have I heard the before??
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Sweet dreams all ...Zzzzzzzzzzz
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 18th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Thanks both. :hug: :hug: I have to say, I have never heard of being 'cuckoo'd' before. This will certainly be a term I will use in my next batch of notes. :hug: :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 19th, 2018, 5:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we have very high concentrations of dust in the air, my sinuses are playing up.
The plastic bag charge is kicking in, our local pharmacy is using strong paper bags.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 6:48 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A lovely clear morning. OH isn’t working today so he’s going to come shopping with me so I don’t strain my knee steering the trolley. :luv:

Hope the dust clears soon Moira. ... hate irritated sinuses :!:

Tezza :hug: being cuckooed refers to the process of drug dealers moving in with a vulnerable person and using their flat as a base and forcing him to work for them. Like cuckoos use a bird’s nest as their own and then the young cuckoo makes the innocent ‘owners’ of the nest feed him and work for them ... totally taking over ... your neighbour may not be in that situation ... but what’s happening may be part of the process of grooming him ... getting him indebted to them ... :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2018, 7:04 am

Morning all,

Very foggy here. No doubt it will clear when the sun peeps through. :grin:

I researched cuckooing last night. A strong indicator from what I read is that secure doors in the building are being wedged open, here it's with twigs cleverly placed within door frames.....something I have reported already...

It's that lovely job centre time, and today I will be mostly deafening myself on the bus with The Charlatans, happy days.

Have fun everyone!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 19th, 2018, 7:16 am

Bright sunny start here... Saw him off the premises at 6.30am with a red cross parcel for the day. I watched Eat well for less last night and was amazed what some spend on lunches over the course of a year ! Not in this house hold ! !

Bin Day today and ours is chocka block! Mr. Z. even took a boot load to the bins where he works from as we had run out of space.

I have some hand sewing to do when the sun hits the sun room and I can see, a couple of mole hills (mountains!) :rolleyes: to remove and a food list to do. Mr. Z. supplied a stack of stuff and my freezer is fit to burst. I will not have to shop for quite a long time. :D

I think some of your dust Moira is in our vicinity as I have just sneezed 5 times. I think it may be the Autumnal cooler spore ridden air, it does happen at this time of year...

Happy Friday everyone :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 19th, 2018, 7:24 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit overcast at the moment,but the weather report just said brighter later. I just read in the paper we may have snow next week :o it didn't say where :rolleyes: I forgot to get mushrooms yesterday, so I will have to go and get some today . :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 7:54 am

Tezza :tu:

Ice ... we're going to W’rose in a bit ... we’ll pick up some mushrooms for you ... what sort do you want? ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 19th, 2018, 8:20 am

Ooo thanks Suffs, can you get me some chestnut mushrooms and 3 white onions too please. :D OH has gone to have his haircut, I said call in and get some mushrooms and onions on the way back, he said he couldn't he would probably get the wrong thing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Thinking about it he is probably right :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 19th, 2018, 8:42 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lovely sunny day here - gin clear sky and promises of 23C The last of the bulbs to plant and Mr R can have a quick tussle with some rampant Virginia creeper which is threatening to turn the back of the house into Sleeping Beauty's castle.

Tezza hope your day goes as well as possible. The news earlier in the week of the serious underpayment to so many disabled people is utterly shocking and quite unforgivable. Our friend in Kent with MS has been affected but fortunately both her and her husband have decent pensions so it wasn't vital and she has given the back payment to the MS society.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 19th, 2018, 8:44 am

Good morning
Lovely sunny day here, will get out for a walk on the way to my appointment with the surgeon this afternoon. Will also go to the big chemist and have a look for a moisturiser that won’t upset the skin round my eyes

Ended up doing very little yesterday, was zonked out. Hope I’m not going down with the cold that a couple of people on the trip had, and which my friend has definitely acquired.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 9:10 am

Ratatouille wrote:.... The news earlier in the week of the serious underpayment to so many disabled people is utterly shocking and quite unforgivable. Our friend in Kent with MS has been affected but fortunately both her and her husband have decent pensions so it wasn't vital and she has given the back payment to the MS society.

When she died the parents of my young severely disabled friend were querying/fighting the reduction in her benefits ............ :(

icelesley wrote:Ooo thanks Suffs, can you get me some chestnut mushrooms and 3 white onions too please.
On the list Ice :tu:

Sue ...Hope it's a false alarm :) OH never travels with 'the public' without using First Defence ;) Mind you, I don't use it and I don't catch many colds either so ....... :|
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2018, 9:29 am

suffolk wrote:When she died the parents of my young severely disabled friend were querying/fighting the reduction in her benefits

a family i know, with an autistic son, have had their benefit/allowance just stopped, without notice, sliding them into debt.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 19th, 2018, 9:47 am

Morning all! Shocking indeed re the benefit thing. Talk about kicking people where it hurts most ... :(.

Hope you are ok Sue. Round here everyone (literally I think!) has had a horrible cough and cold thing. Luckily mine was very mild. I applied to have a flu jab via work again. Because I work funny hours and was not there when they visited they give a voucher to go to a local pharmacy. An email came back saying they were seeing how many applications they got for vouchers first :shock:. It is now mid-Oct so it will be annoying if it doesn't happen soon.

:hug: to all. I've got mushrooms but no passata. I want to make a fish stew with some of the bargain fish I got at Iceland. I'm off to Pilates at lunchtime so will pop into the little Sainsburys nearby and get the stew made before leaving for work.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad you had a good time Sue, I hope you haven't picked up the cold.
Unfortunately I'm definitely on the snuffly side this morning and feel a bit meh... I'm hoping lots of :mug: and an easy day will knock it on the head!
My son arrives about 1pm for the weekend though he's off out tonight and tomorrow to a couple of "dos" so I'm not expecting to actually see much of him. ;)
My sis through her work has just had to testify in a "cuckooing" prosecution involving one of their service users who lives independently. One of the "heartbreaking" sides to it is the young man misses his "friends" and can't see he was being taken advantage of.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

earthmaiden wrote: Shocking indeed re the benefit thing. Talk about kicking people where it hurts most ... :(.

It's been running for some years has the ESA migration issue. I was fighting it when I was still working. Managed to get significant back pay for several clients (in one case it was over 15k) but it was like extracting teeth (at that point it was on a case by case basis- DWP had refused to engage in any systematic review of claims).

Tezza- I had a client who was cuckoo'd. She was vulnerable (learning difficulty) as most of the victims are. We contacted social services and it was eventually sorted out.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 19th, 2018, 10:09 am

Back from Pissouri, we came to a halt in Zanaja square, kittens everywhere. There are usually cats there but this little lot would not move, Deb had to get out of the car to shoo them to the side of the road. When I write square it is really just a widening of the road with a couple of trees in the middle.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 19th, 2018, 10:48 am

I have just replaced the battery in my smoke alarm and it is still chirruping :evil:. Annoying or what? Any ideas?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 11:13 am

scullion wrote:
suffolk wrote:When she died the parents of my young severely disabled friend were querying/fighting the reduction in her benefits

a family i know, with an autistic son, have had their benefit/allowance just stopped, without notice, sliding them into debt.

It stinks :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 19th, 2018, 11:55 am

Good Afternoon wild ones. The sun has come out to play but it is still quite cool. I was just about to pop out for my mushrooms and onions, but OH is now washing the car so it will have to wait :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 19th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Is there anything like the French SPA in Cyprus Moira ? RSPCA in the uk but not nearly as good, Kitties everywhere is a bit of a problem - for the kitties as well as the public! the ones we "rescued" and were sterilised C/O the SPA are still going strong. The Vet told us they wouldn't last more than a couple of years - it is now 8 :lol: :lol:

I'll be thinking of you this afternoon Sue and wishing you well.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop