Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby liketocook » November 1st, 2018, 9:48 am

Good morning everyone,
"Operation Buffet" starts properly today so when I've finished my :mug: I best get cracking. Chilli con carne & pulled pork to cook today :) .
I need to get my proverbial in gear in the chores department too as the place is needing hoovered and mopped.
S*ds Law has of course kicked in and I've a beaut of a cold sore come up overnight :x , I reckon it might be a polyfilla job under my usual slap on Saturday ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2018, 9:49 am

:lol: :lol: that would add interest! (edited to say I meant the flashing Santa not the added slap :oops: ).
I noticed in the USA, where lighting for every event is so popular, that many people left them up all year but only switched them on at the appropriate time. The wiring and fitting of some displays is so complex it is not surprising. I think they would normally wire them so that Santa didn't flash at Halloween though!

I am so happy, I have been invited to GD's for fireworks and hot dogs on Saturday. I didn't think they'd do anything as GD is still young enough to get away with it but it is my favourite night of the year. Maybe I could persuade them to have a bonfire as well :twisted:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 1st, 2018, 10:07 am

From time to time I go back to Devon for reunions at my old school. At one of these I was talking to one of the former teachers. He recalled getting a present from a pupil who had been with his family to Rome and had an audience with the pope.

The present was an electrified representation of St Peter’s basilica. It was a wall hanging. When you pressed a button, the music played, the doors opened, the pope trundled forwards onto the balcony, whereupon his arms spread wide and his cope opened as he “blessed” the crowd. Then the lights in all the windows went on and off for 10 seconds while a fanfare played.

It was known in the teacher’s family as “The Flashing Pope”. :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » November 1st, 2018, 10:50 am

cyprusmoira wrote:t is not that sort of chocolate, they are LIDL's chocolate coins. I must check the sell by date, they may be OK for Christmas

I have checked, the sell by date is next March. They are Euros as they are from LIDL, including E100 note :D

Most villages leave their arches of lights up from year. Loved the "flashing pope", Aero

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 1st, 2018, 10:54 am

I think I now want a flashing Pope.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 1st, 2018, 11:22 am

A flashing Pope would add to the decor wonderfully

A heads up: BBC2 will screen the Peter Jackson WW1 film on Remembrance Sunday. Not yet available for a Tivi link
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2018, 11:58 am

Morning folks,

I'm back from town like a drowned rat. There is a bit of flooding and lots of discarded carved pumpkins in town.

I picked up much needed toilet rolls, but my new glasses were not ready and neither was my prescription at Boots. I couldn't hang about. Telephone job interview at 1pm. I'll have a bite to eat first and a coffee. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 1st, 2018, 12:04 pm

Been to help take our art group exhibition down today. How did it get to be 1 November?

No trick or treaters last night, possibly due to the fact that our front door light isn't working!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2018, 12:18 pm

Had a phone call from OH ... could I pop up to the shop with some tools as they're putting up a new display ... so I've done that and been to W'rose for meals for the next few days.

Now to sort out some stuff here ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

We had a strange lunch - not the food which was fine, but the weather outside. We ate in the dining room in front of the woodburner. At the front of the house the sun was shining and a brisk breeze was blowing the raindrops off the vine. Out of what passes for a window in the kitchen at the back it was pitch black and lightning was flashing (not Pope or Santa please note) over the plateau. Then it tipped it down everywhere and the power went off.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 1st, 2018, 1:23 pm

Well! what a morning ! Building inspector arrived and is happy with the footings. So major amount of rubble and earth is going tomorrow starting at 7.30am :shock: Then in the afternoon the cement pouring starts.......

Meanwhile, the builder managed to tug our mains tricity cable out with his digger so we have had SSE in to reconnect us. I have just finished making Mamtas broccoli recipe for another time.

After all that excitement we are taking the afternoon off !

Tomorrow should be an interesting day..... We are out for most of it and the fluffs will have to fend for themselves......with the builders..... :terrified:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 1st, 2018, 2:39 pm

Zosherooney wrote:the fluffs will have to fend for themselves......with the builders

My money is on the cats :D
As you know I am by myself this week. I dug out an old copy of Delia's One is Fun, it will be Courgette Soufflé for One tonight :chef:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 1st, 2018, 4:51 pm

We have had rain
I pottered around in my dressing gown for a while this morning, then had a shower at about 11.30. While I was in it, there was a huge roll of thunder, and it started to rain - there was more water per sq fott outside than in the shower I am sure

I was planning to meet peopel in the pub just up the road at 12,30 but we agreed that we would wait until the rain eased, and just go asap
We had a very nice lunch, I had the cod cheeks with fennel kimchi and peanut sauce, excellent - a chicken Caesar salad and a burger were also consumed with IPA and followed by coffee and tea. Excellent value, I really should go there more often, but it gets jam packed in the evenings.

Dark and cold now not leaving the house again, I did have a little walk before I came home
Have a good evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 1st, 2018, 7:00 pm

We had some (but not a lot) of rain. Builder pulled the mains power cable out of its socket late morning and SSE came and did their stuff.... Then the lorry due to take rubble couldn't because of the turning space..... so we are back to skips.....

Busy day tomorrow at the financial pension company we are using.. then lunch at The Pear Tree Inn (ex of Marco Pierre White) I recently found in my stored stuff a rather nice trinket "pear" that splits in half made out of brass that I have cleaned up and will take with me for them. They have been good to us over time and it is a small gift that I hope they will like it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2018, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I was heard on the radio that because of the weather the UK onion crop is down 40%, parts of Europe are not much better

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 2nd, 2018, 6:21 am

Good Morning Moira, then it's a good job I have stock piled them !!! :lol:

Not a mole hill in sight. It must be all the noise of the mechanicals... Our lovely neighbours are suffering with badgers, we have hedges all around but they are totally open with no fences or anything.

Hot water has been turned on. I had to scramble over a huge pile of rubble and earth but did manage to find a torch so I could see what I was doing.

Have a crunchy Friday everyone.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 6:57 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Yes Moira , my brother is one of the larger onion producers in the UK. I think I mentioned some time ago that the onion crop was at least 40% down this year and he told me then that our next biggest supplier Holland is at least as bad if not worse. Prices will be up and supplies will be short. Prices of imports will be very high come the Hungry Gap next spring when our homegrown supply runs out ... and by then there may well be import difficulties too ...
im hoping for a sack of onions for Christmas ... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2018, 7:06 am

suffolk wrote: next biggest supplier Holland is at least as bad if not worse

That is interesting as I have noticed that our onions come from Holland at the end of the Cypriot season. Cypriot potatoes should be OK as they are heavily irrigated. There has been a minor scandal as a Greek supplier has been accused of dipping potatoes in red earth then selling them at a premium as Cypriot :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 7:14 am

Apparently one of the difficulties with onions this year because irrigation removes the blueish bloom on the leaves which protects them from sun damage .... and with the high temperatures this year the onion plant really struggled ... the high temperatures also increased the numbers of flea beetles which also damaged the crop :rolleyes: They couldn’t be treated even with organic treatments again because applied in high temperatures it would damage the leaves. :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 2nd, 2018, 7:53 am

Good morning wild ones. We are back to a frosty start, only light frost but the roofs are all white. Whilst I was shopping yesterday, I fancied pineapple. Pre prepared in a plastic pot was 2.50, fresh untouched was 1.50 wonky was .87p :o so wonky it was ;)

Edited to say, just cut up the pineapple, it is lovely and juicy, I might go back and get another :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 2nd, 2018, 9:56 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's not raining and it was very much warmer last night. Everytning is soggy though.

Interesting about the onions. I buy them by the sackful from Fresh these days and they have been very good indeed - from a bit further north in France. They are €3.90 for 5 kg. I hang the sack from a beam in the cellar Mr R gets out a few at a time and puts them in the onion bag. I have only had one soft one so far.

The Christmas cards I ordered on Tuesday with the stamps, arrived this morning. Now all Mr R has to do is to get our tempremental printer to print of the labels and I can attack them a few at a time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 2nd, 2018, 10:00 am

Morning all from a sunny Wales.

If it's Fridy, it must be curry! Off to consult Mamta's kitchen
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2018, 10:46 am

Morning all!
GD tired me out yesterday because I still hadn't caught up with sleep. Had a twinge of a sore throat when I went
to bed and one of those annoying nights where I felt cold even with electric blanket, overblanket and layers of clothing. I think its a 'woman of certain age' thing :rolleyes:. Anyway, slept in very late this morning, it's a glorious day and I just have the twinge of a sniffle.

Oh Zosh, they hit a cable already? You must be getting a bit tired of disruption. Strange that the badgers don't come to your garden but be glad, they make a mess!

I don't think I use onions as much as many people although there are always some handy. No doubt the farmers are under pressure to sell for a stupid price, I hope they are not financially crippled as a result when they have worked hard to salvage as much crop as possible.

Talking of crop growing, I know many here watched the series with Simon Reeve in the Mediterranean. I found the section about the Spanish growers very interesting and shocking. For some reason I had thought that those outfits were well run with a lot of mechanisation rather than the reality.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

Good morning
I tend to buy Morrison’s wonky onions, mostly they are not in the least wonky, just smaller than the minimum size for class 2, which suits me

Need to get on and get out. Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am

Most of the onion crop this year are smaller than usual.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2018, 12:01 pm

I have just checked Deb in for her flight tomorrow, she will have to collect her boarding pass at the desk.
I had to go the long way round to Pissouri as the road works are still very much in progress, I got caught at the traffic light then came to a halt in road works because an interesting looking boring machine was spewing sand and gravel into the air. Then when I got to the small link road I was held up by a very long truck tried to get round a narrow 90 degree bend, I bet that he was trying to avoid the road works on the hill.
Spinach Pie for lunch, it was still very hot when I bought it.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm feeling :x :x :cry: :cry: , woke during the night with a horribly sore face - yup cold sore is in fact the shingles, talk about lousy timing. Have seen the Dr and got meds and the ok to still go tomorrow night provided we alert any pregnant women. :) I'm now running behind with my list but the kids will help tonight if need be.
I'm going to put my feet up for a couple of hours and hopefully my oomph will return. Thankfully I was head of schedule for tomorrow. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Oh LTC :hug: :plink: :mug:
Poor you ... been there and it’s horrid ... take it very easy or you’ll feel worse :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

Oh that’s rubbish LTC. :hug:
Hope you still manage to enjoy Saturday nightm
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

Thank you
Dr has said I've to have two paracetomel and a large gin before I go- I like her thinking :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Sounds like my kinda doctor :tu: :tu: :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

Poor you LTC. I got shingles 6 weeks before DD's wedding. I'm sure it was the stress of doing the cake, making the bridesmaids dresses and generally taking on far more than I should. My GP was not in the least but sympathetic though and that was the final straw which made me change GP.

Take it easy when possible and follow your doctors sensible advice!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2018, 1:39 pm

ltc - :hug: :hug:.Hope you can rope people in to help. It will be a lovely evening, much down to all your hard work but we all want you to enjoy it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 2nd, 2018, 2:11 pm

Hopefully you will have caught it in time and the meds will work very quickly. I went to the chemist as I had a very sore patch on my back - she diagnosed shingles and told me to go straight to GP for anti-viruls - worked for me and the shingles cleared within a couple of weeks. I like the gin suggestion - you've got a good GP there :lol: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2018, 3:39 pm

Thanks folks :hug: :hug: - I've had them before so hoping it was caught early enough for the meds to kick in quickly.
I've had a lovely snooze so feeling more like tackling the list.
I'm sure a with a couple of gins down the hatch tomorrow night they'll stop bothering me ;) :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 2nd, 2018, 10:57 pm

Anyone watching Paul Weller on BBC 4?
Loving it.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 2nd, 2018, 11:00 pm

Evening all. :wave:

Haven't had a chance to pop in. I hope everyone is ok and those with lurgy are fighting it off well. :hug:

A bit of a family crisis (sorted now) late last night meant that I didn't hear my alarm this morning and was a tiny bit late for my job centre appointment. :scared: Fortunately they let me off as I could let them know about job interview activity and my invite to a food safety course and job searching work shops. So back home and checking job alert emails I see that I was successful at the telephone interview yesterday and that means an assessment day on 20th! I've spent the rest of the day reeling over that! It's been such a strange day all in all that I haven't really eaten well and am now wondering if it's too late have a bit of toast, when really I should go to bed.....

Happy sleeps to you all! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 3rd, 2018, 6:08 am

Sorry to hear you a bit under the weather L2C, keep taking the gin !

Now you mention it, Mr. Z. passed me an onion and asked if I wanted 2 as they were small....

What a day yesterday! Chaps were with us (2 of them) by 7.30 and were finishing off the digging out by the time we left for our financial meeting, which was complicated with lots of busy detail to get our heads around. Then we headed for The Pear Tree Inn for a celebratory lunch as Dad's probate is virtually finalised except for the fees in various countries which our solicitor has held back funds for. During the clearance of the garage I found a cute brass pear which doubles up as a trinket holder so cleaned it up, put it in a nice box and gave it to the land lady - she seemed to like it. We had a fab lunch, with a sharing board between us, consisting of buffalo wings, scotch egg (nice and runny) and the covering was venison and black pudding (very lush) fish goujons with home made tartare, a pastry cheese twist, stuffed vine leaves and a feta dip and some of their home made pear chutney. We shared a large main course of lamb 3 ways, a very meaty (pink) chop, lamb sausage and shoulder, served on a bed of the most delicious aubergine curry with stir fried leeks, 2 types of chard and cabbage. We had a side of Autumn roast veg - carrots, parsnips, celeriac, and sweet potato. I finished off with a pear and cinnamon ice cream and a ginger biscuit 'person'. Altogether a superb meal.

We found an Aldi and stocked up on some 'liquid' essentials.... :oops: It is the only place I can find low cost 'Aperol'. We arrived home at 4.15 to find builders moving liquid cement around the moat with another load on the way. They were still there at 6.15pm with another delivery of it working by the light on their mobile phones ! ! We rigged up an old light that I acquired from Dad (which seemed apt! as his funds are paying for the build) and they finally left 6.45pm - a long day for them.

What a day, we collapsed, did a few e-mails, went over what was all in all a very productive day. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 3rd, 2018, 6:43 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have been struggling with e mails, I think that Deb sent me an e mail but Google did not like it. So have been changing passwords etc
Your builders have been busy, Zosh

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 3rd, 2018, 7:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A beautiful dappled pink sky this morning.
Moira, I’ve had to do all that recently ... now have updated Firefox and a new version of Chrome and all is good. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 3rd, 2018, 8:05 am

Morning.

I hope LTC is well on the mend - I like the sound of that doc!

I am very glad I'm not still making the chutneys, as onions were the very basis of most of them.

Looking forward to a weekend at home - more jobs to crack on with before winter properly sets in. We are now down to 2 chooks and will not get any more until we have decided if we're moving or not.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 3rd, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. It's dry, frost free but breezy. I need to pop down to the surgery to drop my repeat script request. It's such a nuisance, it was better when the chemist did the automatic request. I have two types off tablet, I am given a month's supply each request so how can I be ordering what I don't need :rolleyes: Having said that a neighbour orders everything wether she needs it or not to save several trips to the surgery to make the requests. So the new system Isn't working there :twisted:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning all! MIL's pharmacy used to send everything whether she needed it or not - much to her annoyance when she'd stated what she needed.

What a busy day Zosh!

Feel lovely and refreshed today. It's a glorious morning and I got lots of bits and bobs done yesterday. I went to a meeting of our local Philosophical Society in the evening. I have often thought of going but a friend has started going and encouraged me. The scene is set by a speaker first then everyone can discuss/rant. Rather good and a very short walk from my house.

A text has gone out this morning as the shift at work is two down due to sickness. We are supposed to cover a set number of requests each year and I'm down on mine so have said I'll go. By the time I arrive there will only be 7 hours of the 12 hour shift left to do 8-).

Have a good day - hope all goes well ltc :hug: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 3rd, 2018, 8:46 am

The water is off again which is a nuisance as I wanted to do a load of washing :rolleyes:

As I have no idea whether Deb will have eaten on route so have made an Onion Tart, it will keep overnight if necessary. She is flying BA, has upgraded herself to Club Class so that she bring back extra luggage, you do get fed in Club unlike standard fares. The Heathrow/ Larnaca route is classed as European so no free refreshments, Heathrow/ Moscow is actually a shorter route but classed as International.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 3rd, 2018, 9:04 am

Good morning
You get fed in Club Class but all we got was a M&S style salad, office lunch type of thing
Afternoon tea going out was quite good

Need to get moving, backgammon this morning Guy Fawkes tonight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 3rd, 2018, 9:18 am

I am back. :rolleyes: Looks like it is going to rain, so washing is going in the drier.
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 3rd, 2018, 10:14 am

Had a phone call from Deb, she is at Heathrow, she tells me that there is a very nice explosives search dog, a Spaniel having its photograph taken. They had rain in Italy every day except the last.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun is shining and th birds are singing and Provence looks more like it shouldd! Marketing all put away and flowers done. I didn't go up to the butcher because it is still very slippery under foot - a combination of autumn leaves and lots of rain.

Mr R came back proudly bearing quenelles for supper because I announced a weekend of cooking earlier in the week. Unfortunately whe we got them home he realised he hadn't picked up the sauce nantua to go with them. So they have gone in the freezer and I will have to cook after all. However as we have some gorgeous ceps I think I can getaway with a risotto.

Your builders seem to have excelled themselves Zosh. All in all you seem to have had a most satisfactory day.

Good luck with the backgammon Sue
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 3rd, 2018, 2:08 pm

Seems most Wilides are having busy days ! Sue yours seems very social. EM like the sound of your ranting social meeting. Take a house point for helping out on the work front :tu: Rats, what is sauce nantua??

We have brochures from the drive man now we need to look and sort out what we would like. The lady from my other house, popped by with a side table she was looking to loose. I do happen to have a place for it..... We have Hoovered up fallen leaves with the mower and are presently removing the debris from inside the house that comes with any build. Goan coconut inspired spicy soup for lunch then a major slob out this avo...

Happy weekends everyone... :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 3rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

Not raining yet but but very grey and miserable. OH is watching football, so I thought I would have a noodle on here if anyone is about. :?: hmmmm, just me :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop