Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby Ratatouille » November 3rd, 2018, 2:29 pm

Zosh its a creamy sauce made with crayfish butter and squashed up shells and is the tradition accompaniment to go with pike quenelles. A speciality of the Lyon area.

It's not something you knock up in a few minutes - neither are the quenelles come to that so almost everyone buys both - preferably from a very good traiteur although you can get a version from the supermarket. Just as you can get a version of all sorts of dishes in the UK
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 3rd, 2018, 3:10 pm

Sauce Nantua is absolutely delicious :chops:

I'm a very happy Wildie ... I've assembled a chicken biryani for our supper and it's chuntering quietly in a very slow oven .... now I'm putting my feet up and getting the knitting out.

Emoji knitting.gif
Emoji knitting.gif (107.14 KiB) Viewed 697 times
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 3rd, 2018, 8:23 pm

Salivating here.... Sounds delish Rats. :chops: Enjoy when you get to eat the dish....

I've snoozed and caught up on some very early mornings (excitement!) Supper is a (cobbled together) beef in brandy mustard with celery and walnuts. Some left over (reheated) chips and some mixed veg. It's a mild evening with the TV turned up to cover the local fireworks, the cats have their paws in their ears ! We are just about to eat to Dads Army.....A Saturday fave in this household. I shall never tire of them ! I have the most enormous turkey leg in the oven for stripping the meat off for another time.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 3rd, 2018, 10:03 pm

Evening all,

I haven't read back on goings on! Will do in a bit! I've had a decent day, which doesn't include collecting my new prescription varifocals. I can't see anything through them! On the plus side, I obtained a vintage Maldon salt pig from a charity shop for £1.50, and a very good condition queen size mattress for nowt! :grin: My sister will help me build my bed frame next week. Until then the mattress can sit happily in the living room where it isn't really in the way.

Shattered me will be lucky to keep eyes open for even one episode of Millionaire, even with all the noisy fireworks still going off. I hope everyone's fur babies are safe inside! :hug:

Nite nite folks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 4th, 2018, 6:55 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the water is off again, it returned about 4 00 pm yesterday.

Collected Deb from the airport as scheduled. They had heavy rain on every day except the last on her Tuscany trip. She bought back a couple of packs of dried Porcini. they are enormous, I must find a recipe that pays them proper respect, also a large quantity of pine nuts. The Heathrow T5 M&S yielded good sausages, bacon. the duty free shop produced Elderflower Gin liqueur and the compulsory Toblerone. I also have a tea towel showing a map of Tuscany.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2018, 7:02 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Don’t s’pose your map shows a little hill village called Biforco does it Moira? Stayed there years ago. Had a lovely time.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 4th, 2018, 7:48 am

Good morning wild ones. :mug: anyone :?: it looks like we are in for a nice day today, its not cold just a tad overcast at the moment.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2018, 7:51 am

Morning all,

I knew there was something I needed to add to my shopping list for this coming week -dried porcini. :luv: They will be used for risotto and JO's Hamilton squash recipe soon.

Fireworks here went on a bit last night. Our main display is tomorrow night at the local football club. They have fire dancers (whatever they are!) apperently. I'm not sure public displays are any safer than amateur back garden ones are these days reading what has happened in Woking this weekend. I really think as a nation we should be thinking of better and more enjoyable ways of spending our time and our money.

Job assessment prep today and keeping warm for me! Have a stress free Sunday folks! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 4th, 2018, 9:11 am

I know they are dangerous and that animals hate them but I absolutely adore fireworks and find it hard to wrestle with my conscience. Very sad about the Woking incident. I am starting to dislike inflatables more and more (and you don't really need them on bonfire night!) DD was badly hurt on one once.

A dull November day outside. We are having a few small fireworks at GD's this evening with hot dogs to eat. I might make something to take but am not sure we really need it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 4th, 2018, 9:30 am

What is the best way to freeze basil?? I know if its chopped it goes black, so would I have to freeze the leaves whole??
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2018, 9:48 am

They'll still go black. I've never found a satisfactory way to freeze basil. I either make pesto and freeze that, or dry the leaves and crumble them and keep them in an airtight jar.

I don't know if they'll freeze in ice cubes ... worth a try I suppose ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Another nice morning but no newspaper because the tabac at St Sat was also closed :rolleyes:
I'll cheer up soon though because we're going to Mannu's for lunch.

We had real live procini for supper last night in the form of risotto. It was gorgeous. I have a rather goof recipe for soup using dried ones and chestnuts. It is very rich but delicious. I often use dried morels, in fact I used some on Friday to make a sauce for boudin blanc with morels. Sounds and tasted very luxurious but the boudins and the dried morels came from Lidl and the whole dish cost about €5.00.

I hate anything that goes bang but I quite like a firework spectacular from a safe distance. I do not like DIY firework displays. My current favourite is the 14th July display in the village where our friend Paul lives. They set them off from the chucrch which is at the top of the hill opposite the hill where his house isso we can sit on his terrace with suitable refreshments and enjoy in safety .
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 4th, 2018, 10:23 am

Fireworks are illegal in Cyprus because of the very real fire hazard but they do have them at New Year and for weddings. Mentioning fire hazard, the fire fighting helicopters were flying earlier this morning, there is a very strong breeze. I watched one of them fly down to the sea to fill its bucket, there is probably not much water in the dams.

Mentioning that reminds me, after collecting the papers I drove round to the beach, I like to check on activities. I knew that they were collecting the sun loungers and straw parasols, they were going in a large container. I was surprised to see that the portacabin had gone too but then realised that during the winter storms the waves come right over that area.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2018, 11:52 am

Good morning
I’ve frozen my basil as pesto this year but I also have some sprigs that I open froze, they will be crumbled into soups etc as needed, not very pretty but the flavour is fine, I do this all the time

Went to the fireworks last night, then 10 of us went back to my friend’s house for bowls of stew and too much wine. Was very nice, two old friends were back for the weekend, they moved to Denmark 10 years ago.

Must go shopping, I need stuff and I have a voucher to use

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2018, 11:54 am

Morning Wildies :wave:

I don't mind a decent organised firework display but frankly, as I say every year, I'd be all for a ban on private sales. We live opposite a park and I can guarantee that every night from now until New Year there'll be someone letting off fireworks indiscriminately in the early hours :evil: . It's so infuriating to be woken at some ungodly hour by a loud bang and in addition, our poor Ollie hates fireworks and gets really stressed by it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 4th, 2018, 12:00 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, the water is off again, it returned about 4 00 pm yesterday.

Collected Deb from the airport as scheduled. They had heavy rain on every day except the last on her Tuscany trip. She bought back a couple of packs of dried Porcini. they are enormous, I must find a recipe that pays them proper respect,:

We love the Simon Hopkinson recipe for ‘posh’ cheesy pasta...the porcini give a really nice flavour.
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/baked_ ... with_21046
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2018, 12:21 pm

That sounds nice Patpoyntz, but an awfully high ratio of sauce to pasta?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 4th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I had a grandstand seat for the fireworks last night; the sofa at the front window! The cricket club over the road had a 'do' and they surpassed themselves this year.
Bryn sat and watched them with me, but the other dogs were not bothered at all. It was very pleasant sitting in the warmth next to hub, with a glass of red to hand, surrounded by dogs!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 4th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Freworks (2).jpg

View from the sofa!! (I have edited the road out though)
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

B9E2B57C-A0D0-4281-8E51-62E7F4F303EE.jpeg
Hackney Fireworks, Clissold Park
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 4th, 2018, 1:45 pm

StokeySue wrote:That sounds nice Patpoyntz, but an awfully high ratio of sauce to pasta?

Doesn’t come out too runny, it’s baked for quite a long time, so the sauce must get reduced.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 4th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Back from a lovely lunch chez Mannu.complete with a take home bag of petites fours for this evening.

Very autumnal menu. We passed on the ceps rosotto with St Jaques and settled for a tarte payssant with vegetables a mushroom foan and a perfect poached egg on top,
Main was pan fried turbot on a fondant style potato with a chicken jus and barigoule artichokes.
Dessert for me was a pear poached in a pomegranate juice and filled with curd cheese with a praline biscuit and topped with pear sorbet. Mr R had a fantastic looking chocolate concoction,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2018, 3:50 pm

What a lovely sounding menu Rats. :chops:

I had a beautiful autumn walk to exchange a top in town where I wasn't too happy with the neck! Got back to notice the police in attendance on the ground floor..... :tu:

I must say, I do love a good firework display....from a distance! I always watch new year in London on TV and for some reason get awfully emotiinal! :oops: The dangers of stock piled explosives for the occasion worry me though. When I lived in Stansted some years ago there was a lovely old coaching inn at the bottom of our road which had arranged a wedding party with an evening firework display in the grounds. At about 10pm one evening during the build up to the big day, WOOSH! The whole lot went up. We heard it from our luving room. Shook the windows and everything. Not sure if anyone was hurt! In Iceland today I saw they were selling rockets behind the counter. Ok having the over 18 rule, but they are still getting into the wrong hands unfortunately. I think a licence system needs to be enforced personally.

Prep for my food course tomorrow and my interview on 20th done, hair washed, laundry dried and put away. :grin: Now, what's for for dinner..... :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 4th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Tezza you wrote "The whole lot went up. We heard it from our luving room." Hope it didn't interrupt anything :lol:

I just can't wrap my head around shopping for clothes or anything other than bread and the paper on a Sunday.

I hope you enjoy yhe course tomorrow.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2018, 4:55 pm

:lol: Not that I remember, although the earth did move! :lol:

I just read in detail that tomorrow's course includes working as a team to cook a hot lunch. I've gone for the veggie option over the chicken one. It should be interesting! Good job I checked instructions for the day. 'No jewellery, false nails, false eyelashes' That could have been embarrassing! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Zosh its a creamy sauce made with crayfish butter and squashed up shells and is the tradition accompaniment to go with pike quenelles. A speciality of the Lyon area.

Oh my, that does sound good! :chops:

The only time I have ever eaten pike was in France (at a wedding reception) and I loved it. I don't think I've ever seen pike on a menu in the UK. I think it's classed as a 'muddy' fish and therefore not considered good eating.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2018, 6:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we have not had any water for over 24 hours. Drinking water is OK as we buy it in containers but we have no idea how much water is left in the storage tank. I did not have a shower last night, it was a quick rub down with wet wipes, lavatory flushing is being kept to minimum. Deb has the inevitable large pile of ironing after her holiday, she cannot do that.
I shall be calling into the village office to find out what is happening later on

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 5th, 2018, 7:57 am

suffolk wrote:They'll still go black. I've never found a satisfactory way to freeze basil. I either make pesto and freeze that, or dry the leaves and crumble them and keep them in an airtight jar.

I don't know if they'll freeze in ice cubes ... worth a try I suppose ...

Thanks Suffs :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 5th, 2018, 8:00 am

Good morning wild ones. Monday again :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 5th, 2018, 8:56 am

Morning all. A foggy start here. I hope there is a warm kitchen awaiting me at the course!

Have a good day everyone!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2018, 9:09 am

According to Nektaria in the village office the pump on the village water tank has broken, it should be fixed today and we should have water by this evening. That last statement depends on where you live, we live at the top of the village so gravity dictates that the lower village gets topped up first. Of course Sods Law said that the pump would fail on a Saturday when they could not get spares.
Good Luck, Tezza :tu:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2018, 9:30 am

Morning all …. I see nobody noticed I wasn't on here yesterday ;) My Contact the Elderly Group had been invited to a charity viewing of the original King and I at Pinewood Cinema. This meant co-ordinating collection of those who wanted to go, with meeting up with the other driver who didn't know the area, to get us all there for mid-day for sandwiches and cakes …. so I left home at 10.15, getting petrol on my way to collect my first passenger in North Watford, then heading back to collect the next 2 passengers in central Watford, then heading back from where I had started out to meet up with the other driver at Denham … then onwards to Pinewood Studios … The film was shown at 1.30 and at 4 pm the whole process was reversed to take everyone home - I got home at 5 pm :( :rolleyes:

Never having seen this film before, I was surprised to discover that the King dies at the end ;) :lol: :? :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2018, 9:36 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun is trying to shine and there is a breeze so my washing might just dry outside.

Mr R is on an expedition to Lidl to buy some track spots for the library and I have asked him to have a look at the French caviar they have on sale. It seems remarkably cheap so it could be worth trying a small amount pre Christmas. I do like a HM blini and some caviar and icecold vodka. A nibble worth having.

We had a long chat with DD last night . The Headteacher from Hell has caused her and 2 others od the 3 membersof teaching staff and the new secretary to hand in their resignations. I wonder if this will be what it takes to get the LEA and the governors to wonder why? She is very upset for the children and parents but surely the parents should also have realised that all is not well. All this upset in rural Derbyshire. She is considering going back to law because she has recently met up with some friends she made at Law School.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2018, 9:37 am

spoiler!!!
hahahaha!
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2018, 10:00 am

Sorry Pat we must have posted at the same time.

Lucky people. I adored the King and I. I hope your oldies did too and yes, it has a sad ending.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 10:08 am

Good morning everyone.
Despite some hideous weather the party was a roaring success, those expected came, the food was raved about, the meds & gin worked ;) and my cousin made a beautiful cake to celebrate the "Greek/Scottish pairing". Yesterday was a bit chaotic and I've lots of tidying up and laundry to do today but it was completely worth it and now it's back to just me I can potter about at my own pace. :D

45290498_1996976197048910_64804794434322432_n.jpg
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2018, 10:11 am

That's wonderful LTC :hug: :hug: Brilliant cake.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2018, 10:15 am

And far better than Bake Off LTC!
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 10:24 am

Thank you - we do tell her she should enter but she reckons that it would spoil the hobby for her and she'd probably murder Paul H ;) , her cakes not only look great they taste wonderful. :D The cake inside was Victoria sponge with lime buttercream and rasberry jam. The wee dishes have baklava on them that my sister made :D.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

Morning all!

So pleased to hear that the party was a success ltc! What a pretty cake. Now you must take it easy ;).

I don't think I've ever seen The King & I. I know the soundtrack well though. My grandmother bought a stereo record player in the early 60's which was quite a talking point. She bought LPs - My Fair Lady, The King & I and various ballets were my huge favourites.

Went to an interesting community meeting yesterday. They're trying to drum up enthusiasm for a scheme where on a set weekend, everyone decorates their windows with designs made from tissue, card etc which, when lit from behind, look great. A lady based in Bristol oversees such projects and they have really caught on in places. On the night, people follow a trail to look at the houses which are participating. It is supposed to bring communities together - I can see it working well in some places. They will be having workshops where people can get help and inspiration. That was followed with a lovely fireworks party at GD's with hot dogs afterwards.

Back to work tonight. Must go and collect a parcel in a minute - will be a nice walk.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2018, 11:13 am

The Kng and I is one of my favourite films, and a wonderful soundtrack.

LTC, I just love that cake, a cake with tunnocks tea cakes is seriously special. There would be fights in this house for the Tunnocks! Please tell me you live near where they are made? So pleased it all went off well, now have a breather.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 11:40 am

Busybee wrote: There would be fights in this house for the Tunnocks! Please tell me you live near where they are made? So pleased it all went off well, now have a breather.

BB

:lol: :lol: I'm about 30 miles away from their "home"- personally I prefer a carmel wafer ;) but I'm sure the ten that were spare won't last long...... ;)

I used to love watching the "King & I" when I was young, it always seemed to be on around Christmas time and I have an association of watching it eating Quality Street and "Eat Me" dates :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2018, 11:46 am

My son takes a caramel wafer in his lunch box every day, tea cakes are for special occasions only!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Busybee wrote:My son takes a caramel wafer in his lunch box every day, tea cakes are for special occasions only!

BB

:tu: :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm

We can buy Tunnocks Tea Cakes in Cyprus, there is obviously a local demand.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I come from the south coast, where Tunnock’s counts as foreign produce. For some reason our local bakery started to stock some packaged stuff, and they went for caramel wafers. My Dad was very happy when he discovered them :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2018, 1:24 pm

We both love Tunnocks, both the wafers and the tea cakes. I like the 'snowball' ones too (but Mr S hates desecrated coconut :) ). When on fell-walking holidays we always have a Tunnocks wafer in our respective sarnie tins :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I'm just about to spontanously combust. The power has gone off for the 6th time today. Not for much longer than 5 or 6 minutes at most but each time it does it puts everything out of synch. There is no explanation as to why or indeed any information at all.

It goes along with the news that 2 quite large buildings have collapsed in Marseille near rhe Vieux Port and another is in danger. Agai no reasons as to way at the moment.

However, in the meantime, on a happier note GD has just messaged me to tell me she has put in her applications for Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool and Nottingham medical schools so all fingers and toes are crossed
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I'm sure she will find the right niche Rats!

Commiserations to both Moira and Rats. Water and power on tap we really take for granted now don't we!

I'm sorry to say that Munchmallows were the big wrapped mallow treat of my childhood and Tunnocks, although nice, are not quite the same. I like the caramel wafers.

I don't seem to have achieved much today but did go out for the parcel and cooked up a lunch of things that needed eating up. A text has just come round asking for cover on our night shift. That means someone's gone sick. I hope we get a volunteer.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 5th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Evening all! Just popping in before dinner and the start of the town firework display, which is held at the football club grounds where I worked in the kitchen today. I will be able to watch from my kitchen window in the warm. :tu:

So....the food safety course this morning.....

What do you get when you put twenty like minded apron wearing out of work hopeful strangers into a commercial kitchen with a packed larder and fridge, a menu but no recipes? Utter chaos to start with! :lol: But through good communication and a fantastic head chef we all worked in small groups and by midday were tucking into a choice of macaroni cheese, chicken curry, rice, jacket potatoes, veggie side dish, sponge cake with custard and a fruit salad. :chef: We were feeding on a big scale as some staff on site also popped by for lunch. It was fantastic! What an absolute buzz! It was very interesting to watch how our natural skills took over. So, for example, I felt myself steering away from the huge sponge cake making area and over into the veg prep area where I took over on onions from a lovely lady who had so many tears in her eyes she was in agony and couldn't really see what she was doing. A lovely bunch of people, some with absolute horror stories of how they found themselves suddenly out of work. Friendships have already been formed! :grin: Tomorrow we do theory and prepare a buffet lunch. Wednesday is the test. Love it! :bounce:

Spicy veg stir fry and egg fried rice for dinner, then pyjama and firework time for me.

Have lovely evenings!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop