Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Sounds brilliant Tezza- so glad you're enjoying it and that you've made some new friends. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Wow, what a lovely day you had Tezza … :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2018, 6:33 pm

am i the only one who thinks tunnocks teacakes are gross?
(that goes for wagon wheels, too).
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 5th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Yep :)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2018, 6:37 pm

fair do's.
Last edited by scullion on November 5th, 2018, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2018, 6:39 pm

:wave: Patsy, nice to see you back in Blighty S&S :luv:

I like Tunnocks caramel wafers :chops: Glad your celebration went well L2C. Very annoying Rats,

We are going great guns here in Wildest Wiltshire..... Guns being the operative word as the army have been very active and very local. Cats have ignored it but the fireworks currently going off are scaring them.

Blockwork has been laid today :tu: :tu: They also got a large truck with a grabber and took way half of the rubble. The is another truck coming for the rest tomorrow.

Blimey it's been positively tropical here today with 17 degrees !

Over to solicitor in Warminster to sort our wills.... I need to get more squash - the builders are really going through it....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm

scullion wrote:am i the only one who thinks tunnocks teacakes are gross?

I'm with you all the way!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Ratatouille wrote:

I'm with you all the way!

All the more for me then :lol: :lol:

I don't think I've ever had a Munchmallow, the only other mallow biscuits I can think of from when I was young were a rectangular biscuit topped with piped mallow, chocolate and coconut. I've no idea what they were called but they used appear at birthday "teas".
That sounds like a really enjoyable and productive day Tezza :D .
My get and go got up and toddled off without me earlier. I'm not surprised as the past few days have been pretty full on so I just gave in and had a lazy afternoon.
I thought I was having a proper "wonky donkey" moment earlier but turns out it was the wheel on my rollator that was wonky not me,all sorted now thankfully. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2018, 9:57 pm

I remember those mallows! I think they were made by Jacobs. Munchmallows were wrapped in red and silver foil, similar to Tunnocks but not the same. I didn't see a Tunnocks teacake until relatively recently (I.e. in the last 20 years or so).

Glad your wheel problem could be resolved ltc!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2018, 10:25 pm

We got Munchmallows too

Smaller than Tunnock’s I think - also known locally in Portsmouth area as penny tea cakes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2018, 10:25 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I remember those mallows! I think they were made by Jacobs. Munchmallows were wrapped in red and silver foil, similar to Tunnocks but not the same. I didn't see a Tunnocks teacake until relatively recently (I.e. in the last 20 years or so).

Glad your wheel problem could be resolved ltc!

I had a quick google after I had posted and apparently what I remember are known a "jam mallows" which doesn't ring any bells but also "Jamborees" which does :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2018, 6:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Still no water, that is 48 hours now, I have no idea whether the pump has been repaired yet. Another call to the village office is needed. :evil:

Glad to read of your positive experience, Tezza

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 6th, 2018, 6:19 am

Yes, Tezza, I meant to say, sounds like you had a lot of fun...

I used my washing machine which is currently plumbed into the downstairs loo last night and it works fine so will hang it out when it gets light.

Still balmy weather here, we did not need heating on last night, just a glow from the small moveable unit that we use if we don't have a fire, it just looks glowy.

Moira, it makes you realise just how easy it is to turn on a tap..... I remember watching chaps with large trolleys selling large containers of water in Mombassa, it made me 'value' water more.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 6th, 2018, 7:29 am

Morning all,

I hope your water supply is restored soon Moira. Mine went off from my kitchen cold tap only recently when the tap siezed and it was only off for about eight hours, but it panicked me enough to stock up on bottled drinking water in case it happens again. :rolleyes:

Wet and misty out there at the moment. I am tempted to get the bus into town so that I don't have to spend day two of the course in wet clothes. A single ticket will force me into a walk to get home again. :grin:

Fireworks last night were pretty good. A half hour display and I was close enough to be able to hear the accompanying music they were playing which was mainly eighties stuff. :tu: Then at around 9.45pm a very nearby neighbour started setting off very loud bangers for a bit. Is there any need for the lateness? :evil:

Have a good day!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 6th, 2018, 8:12 am

Good morning wild ones. It looks quite nice this morning :tu: but the forecast is rain later and heavy rain tonight. :( the fireworks Last night were mostly at the organised bonfire display so not to close to us, one of the dogs needed distracting to keep her calm.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2018, 9:29 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I assume it is morning. The sky is so black it doesn't seem like it. It has rained hard all night and the power kept going on and off. We gather the Calavon river through town is dangerously full It does happen some years and we really get anxious when they station JCBs on the bridge to fish out the tree trunks as they come down river. It is interesting that, a little further down river the Roman bridge has never been damaged because of it's contruction. Until very recently it still carried the main road!

Tezza it sounds as though that was the perfect placement for you. I do hope it leads to even more fulfilling things.

Moira I do hope the water gets sorted today. Island living eh? We had it on Long Island and DS sometimes has problems on Jersey but never to that extent.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 6th, 2018, 10:16 am

I have difficulty eating Munchmallows. In my childhood I would stay with my aunt in her Cornish cottage. The house had a problem with ants. I once took a Munchmallow from the pantry, but some instinct made me peel the chocolate off. I found that the marshmallow filling had been replaced by a few hundred ants!! :sprout: :terrified: :sprout:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » November 6th, 2018, 10:54 am

Good morning
Great that you had such a good day yesterday Teresa! :tu:

I continued tidying and decluttering and can now close all the kitchen drawers easily and see what lurks within. I also discarded a dozen paid of uncomfortable tights that I haven’t worn since I stopped going into the office four years ago. The bathroom is so sparse I’ll pop out and get a plant for it, currently it looks as if I haven’t finished moving in

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2018, 11:31 am

We have water :D Deb is now able to do her washing, she has not been able to do it since she came back from Italy on Saturday.

Rats: that sounds like serious rain. Interesting about the Roman bridge being safe. I remember that there was an earthquake in Cairo over 20 years ago, new buildings collapsed but an 800 year old mosque survived almost unscathed.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Heretic!!! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2018, 2:37 pm

We have a lot of basil so I am making pasta with pesto for supper, I know that there will too much so will store the rest in the fridge. It will be served in the Italian fashion together with a handful of green beans and a couple of small potatoes.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Hello!

Another fine day but I have slept through most of it. Have just had a good tidy up and feel quite virtuous.

I do hope that the storms stop for Rats and water arrives for Moira soon. Both unenviable positions to be in :(.

Sue - I seem to remember from previous conversations that 'de-clutterers' can earn £40 per hour in London ... might be worth considering a new career :lol: .

I have never been overly fond of Wagon Wheels. The biscuit always seems slightly stale. I think jt was the same manufacturer who brought out a similar thing in the 60's called 'Tiger Tails' - they were an oblong shape and I think had a tiger pattern, possibly even an orange stripe and then marshmallow and stale biscuit taste. My parents were wooed into buying several cases for the shop and they were so unpopular we ended up having to eat them ourselves over quite a long period of time. My mother got quite inventive with them but they became a family joke.

Tezza - so pleased your day turned out so well. :hug:

Off to get ready for the night ahead now .. toodleoo.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 6th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I thought of Moira this morning, when I passed a water main speing its contents into the village highstreet. So far, we are unffected.

Bryn has gone for his doggie snip today. It was time! I've elected to have him home in a medi shirt intead of the horrible buster collar, which bashes me in the legs constantly.

Hope this food course opens lots of new doors for Tezza and leads to some staunch friendships.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2018, 4:41 pm

the other yeuk biscuits (other than any that marshmallow is involved in) are the iced ones that always seemed to be put out for parties when i was little, - and iced gems - pointless - rubbish little bit of rich tea (tasteless) biscuit with a lump of hard, coloured sugar on top. i'm not into icing sugar.

the weather deemed it necessary to partake of 'chocolate con churros' when i got back, shortly before midday, - haven't had them for a couple of years, i think.
very indulgent and i'm still feeling full.
maybe a smaller portion next time.

the churros were a frozen pack from lidl. ok but home/fresh made are better and seem less oily - i suppose because they are extruded straight into the oil rather than being par cooked and having a second bath in oil.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2018, 4:47 pm

scullion wrote:the other yeuk biscuits (other than any that marshmallow is involved in) are the iced ones that always seemed to be put out for parties when i was little, - and iced gems - pointless - rubbish little bit of rich tea (tasteless) biscuit with a lump of hard, coloured sugar on top.

Oh I liked them too! :lol:

Do you remember Garibaldi biscuits? Can you still get them? I loved them when I was little and so did my mum.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm

I was looking at viennese biscuits in Aldi this morning, either sandwiched with chocolate or jam, I resisted both ! More healthily I bought Oaties - Aldis version of Hob nobs. :D

Fruitful meeting with solicitor to sort wills and POA's then lunch at The Angel at Upton Scudamore. It was close for a refurb. last time we passed by.

Builders have scooted along and we now have bricks laid..... We might be in it by the end of the week !!!! :lol: They are planning to lay bricks both Sat and Sun :terrified: This is a whole new ball game....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm

scullion wrote:the other yeuk biscuits (other than any that marshmallow is involved in) are the iced ones that always seemed to be put out for parties when i was little, - and iced gems - pointless - rubbish little bit of rich tea (tasteless) biscuit with a lump of hard, coloured sugar on top. i'm not into icing sugar.

Oh Party Rings and iced gems - they only appeared at birthday parties so always felt quite special though were actually quite boring. It's funny how things change home made biscuits & cakes were every day things when I was wee and bought ones were for special treats.

Good evening everyone,
As I thought might happen I had a total crash energy-wise today and my balance is very iffy. Consequently I've had a very quiet day and may well repeat tomorrow ;) . I'm feeling very excited though as I had a survey done earlier to get a woodburner installed, picked a stove etc. and all being ok re the final quote it should be in before Christmas :D :D . I've wanted one for a long, long time so after I swapped my living room and dining rooms round decided just to go for it and getting a new bathroom can wait until I've saved up my pennies. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 6th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Party rings and iced gems go down as horror foods as a kid for me, along with tinned spaghetti hoops. :sprout: I would say it's not the taste, more the association with something unpleasant.

I have had another good day, part two of the food course. Today we talked all things bacteria! Yesterday during food prep, the person dealing with raw chicken asked chef if she expected him to wash it. She told him no! - and that she would explain why in today's session. So today she asked the group how many of us wash raw meat. The majority raised their hand. I thought I would ask on here because I am sure I am within a group of Wildies who have never mentioned that they wash meat. I certainly never have. It's the dangers of spreading bacteria in the splashes that may hit other surfaces. I don't think anyone on the course will be doing that again.

I've also had another job interview invite for next week from a local firm, and to be able to give all my attention on finding paid work have (for now) had to give up volunteering. It was good experience and they are leaving it open for me for future if I can!

Masterchef Professionals tonight and then I think my bed will be calling! :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2018, 6:48 pm

I can't think of any biscuits which I don't consider a bit of a treat. Morning Coffee and Marie are a bit boring but better than nothing. Iced party biscuits are still special and I was always allowed a packet of iced gems when we went to the cinema so have a happy association there. I dislike biscotti.

No I don't wash meat. I knew you weren't supposed to for hygiene reasons but also think you wash away flavour too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 6th, 2018, 7:02 pm

It has never occurred to me to wash meat.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2018, 7:36 pm

It is just not a good idea to wash meat. Never have and never will.

I must have been a very strange child . I didn't like biscuits especially those horrible tasteless thing which children were supposed to like. I do llke vienneese whirls and fingers though. if I make them! I would never go to eat a biscuit willingly - a lump of cheese or an olive yes.A banana or another piece of fruit maybe. I just never ever feel the need to eat when it is not a meal time. So why am I not as slim as a rake? Probably gin!!!!!!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Hello folks ... we’re home and in our own bed. Hope all are ok ... will read back tomorrow.
A beautiful drive this morning over the High Peaks ... amazing autumn colours in beautiful sunshine.

Sad news from Gleneagles that Andrew Fairlie is seriously ill :cry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 6th, 2018, 10:41 pm

It never occurred to me to wash meat
There’s no point in washing the surface to remove bacteria as it will be heated to above 70C as it browns so the bugs will die off, and as for “dirt” - if you think there is any possibility of the surface being unclean, for heavens sake go to a different butcher
I saw an episode of Food Detectives last week in which they demonstrated just how far stuff from the surface could spread, and how much less contamination there was if you didn’t. Alice Roberts got splashes all the way up her arms

I once shared a flat with a girl who put mince in a sieve and washed it under the tap before cooking it. When washed it was almost white, when cooked it was grey :sprout: I think she had some kind of issues with food
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 7th, 2018, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I could never see the point of those iced biscuits either.
Normal service has been resumed as far as the water supply is concerned, now we just have the electricity during storms to look forward to. However we do not seem to have as many problems as Ratatouille

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 7th, 2018, 6:31 am

Morning all, I woke up at 2.47am to hear heavy rain and strong winds. Thought about our (hopefully still) covered electrics and boiler which are open to the elements and tried not to be concerned as there was nothing else that could have been done to protect them. Last time I looked at the time it was 4am so managed another hour or more...

I am off to the village 'ladies brekkie' at 9.30am, have not been before. Mr. Z. has been to the mens version but I am still a virgin ! :o So don't think I will need any lunch today.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 7th, 2018, 7:34 am

Morning all,

Sieving mince sounds ghastly Sue. :sprout: With the washing of meat, everyone who raised their hand yesterday said they did it because their mum or their nan did it but they didn't know why. I wonder if food safety advice was different back then.

It's chucking it down, so I will be getting the bus to my final course day. After that I don't care if I get wet so I'll nip to Asda for a few essentials and then walk home before dark.

Ladies brekkie sounds lovely Zosh, enjoy!

Have fun everyone!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 7th, 2018, 7:36 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining as predicted :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 7th, 2018, 9:20 am

Morning.
I've never washed meat either, but like all of you, am scrupulous about washing chopping boards, knives, etc.

I got up to check on the pupster at 4, then couldn't get back to sleep. He's managed a light breakfast and is fast asleep at my feet, while I procaffinate!!

Sad about Andrew Fairlie. I enjoyed MC the professionals last night.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 9:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Grey and drizzling here ...
Lots of laundry to catch up on today ... it's going to be draped in the study ...
I've never washed meat or poultry
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2018, 9:58 am

Me neither. It's hard to imagine how anyone would have thought it was a good idea really isn't it?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 7th, 2018, 9:58 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Yet another un Provencal morning. Not really cold enough to put a fire on if the sun was shining but it is so gloomy.

Very sad news about Andrew Fairlie.

Taking of laundry Suffs. I am very pleased to have my heated airer on such days I can get at least a couple of loads dried in about 12 hours without using too much electricity.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 7th, 2018, 11:05 am

Very sad to read about Andrew Fairley. It’s our favourite place to go for very special occasions. Outstanding food, always.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2018, 11:53 am

TeresaFoodie wrote: With the washing of meat, everyone who raised their hand yesterday said they did it because their mum or their nan did it but they didn't know why. I wonder if food safety advice was different back then .

I think early domestic science instruction may well have been to wash all possible fresh foods before using
Also, before either fridges or paper towels were usual, meat sometimes was a bit unpleasant on the surface, and may we’ll have tasted better if the unpleasantness was removed

I do occasionally blot the surface with a paper towel, as Julia Chikd said, you can’t get a wet surface to brown :D

Grey here but we have only had a smattering of rain

I’ve lost my Poppy brooch, need to find somewhere that sells poppies before I go to the ceremony on Sunday. Never bought one locally before so no idea - I might walk up to the optician with my food bank stuff , and see if I spot any

Have a good day everyone
Last edited by StokeySue on November 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Ar'ernoon all! The sun is peeping through. I think sleeping through this morning's unspeakable weather was a good idea!

I read on another thread that you'd been to the Tower Sue. It looked quite a moving thing and worth having a look if you don't live too far away.

Hope that the Brekkie was fun (and tasty) Zosh!

Sounds as though doggie survived his ordeal Sloe!

Now to get ready for tonight's offering. I have agreed to take GD to nursery in the morning as her ma needed a doctor's appointment and the only free space was first thing. It means staying up after I get home so I shall be in zombie mode by the time I get to bed :(.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Oooh rather you than me EM ... still I expect GD will keep you awake! :shock:

I've just spent a jolly afternoon sorting out quotes for car insurance ... would you believe that my current insuraer's renewal quote was more than my car is probably worth .... and going just Third Party reduced it by little more than a tenner ... I have beaten them over the head with facts, figures, statistics and a yard broom and they've reduced it by one third!!!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm

suffolk wrote:I've never washed meat or poultry

i have - but then they've had their fur and feathers on - and a heartbeat.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 5:10 pm

:) ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 7th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Good evening everyone,
I had never came across anyone who washed meat until I met my Mother-in-law who always did before and after it went into the fridge. She said it stemmed from her childhood where flies sometimes got into the meat safe and laid eggs on the meat :sprout: . I can understand why that might make you a bit paranoid about what might be on the surface!
I had a lovely meal at my sister's to celebrate my nephew's birthday - curry + all the "bits", it hard to believe we no longer have any teens in the family :shock: . I'm stuffed so happy to be back home and changed into my pjs. :)
A spot of vegging out in front of the telly before an early night is on the cards ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 7th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Evening all,

Well, I'm not sure what happened there....

Went on the last day of the food course, sat the exam, exchanged phone numbers and set up a WhatsApp group with fellow course goers, popped into Asda then sheltered from the rain on the bus home with my shopping, read an ASB letter that the council had poked through the letterbox of all tenants that live in this block :wink: then sat down with veggie sausage, hash browns and mushy peas, stuck Masterchef on, woke up in my armchair with the TV on automatic stand by two hours later! :lol: I'll have to be filled in on who went home.

Not sure how I did in the exam. I was unsure on about four questions and it seems everyone else was too. We can sit it again if need be.

Main food shop tomorrow as our Aldi reopens.

In the meantime, I'm going to say hello to the wooden hill to Bedfordshire. Nite nite folks. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 8th, 2018, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, just missed the bin men, they came before 8 00am, usually they collect mid morning. Not that we have much rubbish, the plastic and paper gets recycled separately , the next collection is on Monday

TeresaFoodie wrote:read an ASB letter that the council had poked through the letterbox of all tenants that live in this block
Tezza, what is an ASB, we far flung folks do not know what that is.

Zosh: How was your ladies breakfast?

cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop