Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 9th, 2018, 10:38 am

Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2018, 10:51 am

She's an attention-seeking idiot ... she's 55 ... how young can her children be? They should be sat in front of a continuous stream of Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner and Foghorn Leghorn until their 'little minds' (did she really say that?) are less fragile ..... Grow up woman... get a grip :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 11:02 am

I must make sure that I see the Aldi ad before some jobsworth pulls it
From the still in the mail it’s obviously a take [url][/url]off of the ending of the film the Italian Job - even the camera angle is the same.
Apparently there’s an evil parsnip too :bounce: - yes but obviously there’s more than one ad as no lorry in twitch him
But it’s Jim Broadbent’s narration that makes it for me, man is a genius

Here’s the parsnip ad
https://www.aldi.co.uk/kevin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhN2Xx5PH3gIVB5zVCh0uaQvZEAAYASAAEgIzcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 9th, 2018, 11:29 am

Back from Pissouri with a bag of mandarins, I shall probably juice them. The husband of the friend who gave them to me has just won a raffle prize, A Boys Night In, it consists of Two bottles of Beer, Two Packets of Crisps and a Pair of Slippers :D

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 11:35 am

Found the “cliffhanger” ad with Kevin and his lorry
Brilliant take off of both Coca Cola and The Italian Job (check out the sliding crates)

I think there will be a resolution before Christmas ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfB5P6cswA
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 9th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Thank you so much everyone for the good wishes :D
Rats- the ceremony is at the Arts Centre on Gateshead Quay, it's a "black tie" dinner so he's off to buy an appropriate outfit this weekend.
I'm not a big TV watcher so hadn't come across the Aldi adverts. Some parents need to either switch the TV off or get a grip....
Foul weather here again today so I'm glad I don't need to go. I'm feeling pretty washed out post-shingles/engagement do so very happy to have few gentle days to recharge :) .
Groceries have been delivered and put away so my book beckons this afternoon. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 2:12 pm

liketocook wrote:Some parents need to either switch the TV off or get a grip....

My sentiments entirely - apart form anything else it's a lot less scary than things like Noggin the Nog or Bambi
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » November 9th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Has anyone seen the "banned" Iceland advert about the Palm Oil?

If it isn't already then it should be shown in schools - at the very least!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I posted a reply

But the internet ate it

It's available on line, not really an ad, a short film against deforestation for palm oil (hence being considered political)

Very well done, another good narrator, I think it's Emma Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpspllWI2o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 9th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I found your comment on another thread Sue ……...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm

The Iceland advert is superb, but it's not really an advert is it, so I can understand why it has been banned. But as already said, it should at least be used as an educational tool. It is very hard hitting.

I am not too keen on our Aldi new layout but I guess I will get used to it. I had the carrot ad tune going round in my head the whole time I was in there. :lol: I've picked up a few local history books from the library, also me and my sister are having a girlie DIY day at mine tomorrow (we don't have any handy men in our family :wink:) so I have also picked up some picture hooks so we can get my cat canvasses up in the bedroom. I'll finally have my double bed up and ready to be slept on by tomorrow night. What a relief not to have to sleep laying like a pencil any more.

Chilli for dinner tonight, all I need is crusty bread to go with it. :chops:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 9th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Off to the Watford Beer Festival right now. An evening of third pints awaits!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 9th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I've just checked my emails, and as an Iceland bonus card holder I receive regular emails from them. Their latest email advises customers that this year their Christmas advert has been banned and explains why. It also contains a link to the advert so that you can watch it anyway. Well done Iceland. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 9th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Oooh, have fun aero! (hic!)

As it's starting to get dark I have decided that this will be a pyjama day as I haven't got dressed yet (I was asleep until early afternoon and then watched a TV programme I'd saved) and will give the Philosophical group a miss tonight.

Hope your cough doesn't linger too long Moira and that your toe will soon heal Suffs. Injured toes are such a nuisance.

I seem to remember Zosh saying that her tea party has had to be cancelled due to a bereavement in the guests' family. That's a sad but may be a blessing in disguise to lessen some of the current turmoil before the next invitation goes out!

Thanks for the link Sue. Actually, I do think the Aldi ad is a little bit scary for small people and would need discussion. I feel sure all will be well and Christmassy in the end ;) . As a huge fan of the Italian Job I look forward to some more hairy moments first ;). I don't remember the carrot from previous years but do tend to make an effort to avoid Christmas ads. Part of the Iceland one was a film put out by Greenpeace a while back, which Iceland, with permission, bought and changed the logo to theirs. Hence it is quite political on several counts, I love it though. If all Christmas ads could spend money usefully like that, I for one, would approve greatly. Iceland seem to be doing quite a good few things behind the scenes. I must have a look round again this weekend as the 10% off offer I got with Slimming World finishes. The trouble is, the things there which attract me are not slimming and I still have a lot of frozen fish from the last visit. Most items in the Slimming World range are :sprout: .

On the subject of Christmas trees in November, whilst it isn't something I would want, I think that large Christmas trees are expensive as well as having been nurtured for a good while before being chopped down. Thus perhaps it is good to honour the tree properly rather then just putting it up for Christmas. I don't think I would mind having the tree but not decorating it until closer to the time .. or maybe doing it gradually and adding something for each day of Advent until the week before.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2018, 7:52 pm

My daughter keeps her tree until candlemass - with the lights but without other decorations.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 9th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I like that idea. Things really need brightening up from Samhain until then.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 9th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Ellow! :wave:

Nowt wrong with the Aldi ad! Suffs - I remember Tom & Jerry, Foghorn Leghorn & the Roadrunner - brilliant! Did you know that a coyote CAN actually outrun a Roadrunner? Well ya do now! ;)

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 9th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Blimey! Another dramatic day...... Mainly prepping for the brickies (x 2) that arrive @ 7.30 tomorrow morning. Blocks and bricks are in piles at various points so they can concentrate on laying them. We have firm assurances that by close of play on Sunday we should be up to first storey (ceiling on the ground floor) They have only been here 2 weeks. The rate of progress is astounding! Anyway, regs. re wood burning stove have been confirmed and the oak bloke (for the entrance porch) is due to be with us @ 12.00pm. By chance a visiting (next door) chap who fits wood burning stoves has visited us and will provide a quote for a balance.

Some gardening achieved today before sideways heavy drizzle and very strong winds..... due to be done with by 3am tomorrow. Cats are fed up with the upheaval.... but coping - just about. I need some good quality sleep - please !

Night all.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 9:44 pm

I got quite a lot done today
The new handyman came and gave an acceptable quote, so I spent a while ordering the bits he is to fit on Wednesday. I’m pretty sure I knew his son was he was tiny (now a university student) - think he was a kindergarten buddy of a little boy whose “auntie” I was
Walked to the library, got a poppy for Sunday, joined the library, came back via the shops.
Made and ate Wiener schnitzel

Will watch the Last Leg and go to bed
G’night
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 9th, 2018, 10:50 pm

StokeySue wrote:I posted a reply

But the internet ate it

It's available on line, not really an ad, a short film against deforestation for palm oil (hence being considered political)

Very well done, another good narrator, I think it's Emma Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpspllWI2o

Thanks for posting that link, Sue. Very well done and a shame it was banned - more people should know about the problems with palm oil.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 11:08 pm

To be honest it will probably make more impact being “banned” - it’s all over social media and quite a talking point. Including some interesting takes on the banning process
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 10th, 2018, 7:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am already fed up of this cold, I ache from coughing. Deb and I are trying to coordinate our coughing. ;)

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 10th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. We had a second builder come to look at the floor, it's going to be a big job :shock: we should get his quote after the weekend. We are still waiting for the first company to send their quote, I am thinking they aren't interested, it's been over a week since they looked at the job. We may be walking over planks over wet concrete for Christmas :o but it has to be done. It's the down side of living in a hundred and odd year old house :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2018, 9:44 am

Morning all!

That does sound an upheaval icey. I have noticed that smaller concerns don't always complete paperwork in a hurry because the person who does the work also does the paperwork and they are too busy to do it! If it's a larger concern there's no excuse. The one who looks efficient gets the trade.

Moira - :hug: :hug:.

Looks quite a nice day. The man on the weather forecast last night said it was warmer but I thought it was quite cold last night. Housework and shopping to be done today and a few hours with GD at her house this afternoon. I'd better get started ....!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2018, 10:28 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope you and Debs are feeling better this morning Moira, There will not be a market next week. Town is closed for a huge demo There is to be a country wide furl blackade, Mr R did a solo run to the market because he had some other stuff to doin town. he says the regular stall holders are not happy bunnies about it. Saturdays are when they make their real money.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2018, 10:52 am

How sad for small traders Rats.

I have just seen a bit of James Martin on Saturday Morning. I usually like beards but don't think that his is at all flattering. I didn't realise it was him until he spoke!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

Ratatouille wrote:furl blackade

i can decipher that there's a blockade but don't get the 'furl' bit (other than to roll up).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2018, 11:02 am

Fuel?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2018, 11:05 am

:oops: this is a morning for snarly up wordings!

Fuel it is
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2018, 11:07 am

hmm, those usually take a few days to make a real difference, don't they? so i'd ruled that out but you're probably right.

just googled - there's a france-wide fuel tax protest on the 17th of november but nothing about one today.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2018, 11:14 am

Ratatouille wrote::oops: this is a morning for snarly up wordings!

Fuel it is

ah, right.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 11:16 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Commiserations to all experiencing upheavals, whether they be in the market, re builders or whatever :hug:

If I've seemed a little distrait over the past few months it has been with good reason, but now all is well on the way to being resolved. Back in June DS bought a car on finance from a nationwide second hand car sales company ... it was not a cheap car and had a full service history etc etc etc ... within a few days a series of major electrical faults revealed themselves and the sellers asked him to take it to a main dealer to have the faults diagnosed ... this was done but the sellers said they would rectify the faults themselves ... the inspection by the main dealer also revealed other faults and what can only be called 'recent errors in the service log' :twisted: ... the finance company asked DS to allow the seller to rectify the faults ... they car has been back to them at least seven times ... for several days each time ... each time the fault has not been fixed and they have admitted that on at least one occasion they lied to us about the work they had done. The last time they had the car was for four weeks and a week ago it was returned with even more electrical faults and emergency warning lights flashing up every few minutes.
Yesterday the finance company agreed to take back the car, terminate the loan, refund his money and pay compensation. :woohoo: I've been handling most of this for DS as he has been working 24/7 trying to get his life back on track following his divorce and house sale etc. It has been horrendous. If anyone would like to know which national second hand car seller NOT to buy a car from, just send me a PM ...

Hopefully my stress levels will soon return to normal :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Well done for sticking with it Suffs. Some of these firms are completely beyond belief and so arrogant with it. Perhaps the name of this firm should be public knowledge and I don't just mean here. :hi5: :hi5: :hug: :hug: :kneel: :kneel:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Believe it or not we've been getting emails requesting us to review them on Trust Pilot :shock:. .. when the compensation from the finance company (who have been very helpful) is in the bank they'll get a review all right :rolleyes: :twisted: I've also had a very odd email from them ... even OH who is quite pragmatic about such things, felt that it was verging on an attempt at intimidation ... it's been forwarded to the finance company (one of the Big Banks) who will deal with them Grrrrr Trading Standards are also aware :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2018, 1:21 pm

It must have been a huge worry for you both. Let's hope they get their come-uppance
Last edited by Ratatouille on November 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Why on earth would anyone want to allow a seller like that to rectify the faults themselves?!! Yes Suffs, name and shame once the money's in the bank! They shouldn't even ask you if you'd mind. Makes my blood boil that where even new cars or household appliances are concerned manufacturers/dealers want to be given an opportunity to put horrible faults right. No. Take it away!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 10th, 2018, 1:47 pm

earthmaiden wrote: Yes Suffs, name and shame once the money's in the bank!

Too right!! :evil:

Well done Suffs!!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I'm not one to suffer from stress etc, but to be absolutely honest Rats, I've had sleepless nights and been close to tears on several occasions ... it's been soooooooooooooo frustrating and they've been sooooooooooooooo awful. Believe it or not at one stage they had the car for three days to change the cam belt ... when they returned it we said there was still a problem and they said they'd definitely changed the cam belt ... three days later they phoned mea nd said they'd not changed the cam belt because they didn't have the facilities .... they would send it to another garage to have it done. On another occasion, after working on the heater, they returned the car with no coolant in the system ... not a drop :shock:
The blessing is that he bought it on finance because the finance company are the ones that have to ensure that the goods are of merchantable quality .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Jean -Paul Satre was right when he said "Hell is other people" in this case wasn't he?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Jean -Paul Satre was right when he said "Hell is other people" in this case wasn't he?

Too right! :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 10th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Well, I was busy sorting out my treatment schedule while it was nice and sunny this morning; I suppose it would keep until tomorrow, but once I had the emails I couldn’t settle until it was clear and in my calendar

So now I need to go to the chemist and it’s a deluge of biblical proportions but must go, drops might last until Monday but...

Ops scheduled 5 and 12 December Yikes

Stress all round it seems Suffolk :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 4:06 pm

We'll be with you Sue :hug: :wave: :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 10th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Went to chemist
They had two bottles of drops for me - ones I don’t use any longer :rolleyes:

No brimonidine though, which is what I asked for

They will sort out during Monday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 10th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Hells Bells Suff. I feel for you.... :hug: Name and Shame.... I would want to know who NOT to deal with.....That is not good customer service.

What a day! Brickies turned up at 8.15 and in spite of heavy showers at times managed to make a great indent on the blockwork. I nearly have windows (spaces) up to ceiling height. It is sooo exciting, watching the spaces take shape. They are back tomorrow and a better (weather) day is expected. It will be bricks tomorrow so hope they get a good days work in. I have text a photo to the main man - who was not on site today and he seems pleased as we are.

Oak man turned up but our 'porch' is too small a job for him so he has given us another local contact who I have just sent photos to and he will come and see us soon... Mostly positive. I love networking !

Supper is prepped - a fishy stir fry then an early night for me. All this excitement is tiring me out !

Moira, hope you and Debs feel better soon. Gargle with TCP diluted is a great healer....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 10th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Good evening everyone,
Yikes suffs that sounds like a complete nightmare :hug:
Unfortunately I had a horrible vertigo attack in the early hours meaning today has pretty much been a duvet day. :( Thankfully apart from feeling a bit "spacey" from the meds I'm feeling much better this evening but an early night is on the cards as I didn't get much sleep last night.
So glad I made a big pot of broth yesterday as it has really hit the spot today :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 10th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Evening all,

Crikey, it's all been happening here! I hope everyone is feeling well and stress free now. :hug:

Today my sister helped me to build my queen size bed frame. The frame had been in storage for two years and the parts were delivered to me when I moved here back in March and were poked up in the corner of my bedroom waiting for this day to come. We set all the parts out ready, and my sister said 'Where are the legs?' :shock: Now, I was sure I would have noticed four metal bed legs knocking around, but we were sure we had cleared my mum's garage. But sure enough, on a quick check, my mum found the legs which had fallen into an empty planting trough. So we had to go all the way over to pick them up and back again, over an hour round trip, then we cracked on and got it built before the light faded. I can't wait to get snuggled on it later! We also got some pictures hung up on walls. We had a few giggles along the way!

I've had my dinner which was chilli on jacket potato. I'm going to finish on strawberry yoghurt and will be surprised if I can keep my eyes open past 10pm. Zzzzzz imminent! :P
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 10th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Dealing with secondhand car dealers can be a nightmare. It seems that bigger groups are the worst offenders. I think that their profit comes from moving the cars on without anything being done in the way of service or check. Then let the buyer find the problems. With the large numbers that they deal in, they can accept a small percentage of serious failures and still show a profit by not spending anything unless they have to.

There are one or two large chains that are known for problems among the car clubs. Did the one you dealt with have two names. One associated with a former governor of California, and the second with Superman.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » November 10th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Hells Bells Suff. I feel for you.... :hug: Name and Shame.... I would want to know who NOT to deal with.....That is not good customer service..

It’s not at all clear if the problem is with the pharmacy, the surgery, or as I suspect, mainly with the utterly rubbish repeat prescription program that neither of them can operate as it makes no sense at all.

Anyway, I try to keep at least 10 days in hand as <rant> the manufacturers are allowed to pack the drops in rubbish bottles that may dispense one drop or six at random. This is not an NHS or UK problem but international, the EMA (European Medicines Agency)really should make it a condition of marketing authorisation that the dropper bottles are adequate </rant>
Funnily enough, some of the cheapest generic drops are made by Teva and Martindale, and because they try to use one standard bottle for all products, they use a good one. Pfizer :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 11th, 2018, 7:33 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, some people have been very busy, I am very impressed.
Lovely morning here, recently we have had bright mornings but dull afternoons, including some rain.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 11th, 2018, 8:38 am

Good morning wild ones. :hug: :hug: :hug: for those who need one. EM I agree James Martin does not suit the beard ;) quiet day today, well it is Sunday the day of rest :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop