Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2018, 10:40 am

Utility gangs used to be allowed to start making a noise in London from 8am on Sundays, I don't know if that has changed they do seem to get going later these days but that has more to do with working patterns. I know that in Germany there are times when you cannot use garden or power tools. I think it's a great idea. I was brought up in the days when doing any work which other people could see or hear on a Sunday was frowned upon - even hanging out washing. Gardening always seemed acceptable - the biggest chore of all :lol:. I would love restrictions on the use of garden tools - I hate going for a walk somewhere peaceful and always hearing mowers, trimmers and the like.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 26th, 2018, 10:49 am

Good morning everyone,
General rule here for non-commercial noisy work is not before 8am and not after 8pm though I'm not sure if that's a law or just custom. Everyone seems to stick to it though.
Bitterly cold here and temperature hasn't yet got above freezing, still I have just sorted out a log delivery and fingers crossed the stove goes in ok next week and then I should be super toasty. The heating is off just now so I can get the place aired so it's pretty cold but I do like the windows open for a bit on dry days. :)

I'm off out for lunch today to celebrate a friend's 60th birthday. We are going to local country house hotel and the food is usually pretty decent so looking forward to it. My new Seasalt dress is getting worn for the first time and I might even put some lippy on. :)
I'm not planning anything for dinner, I'll have some toast or crumpets if I'm hungry later.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2018, 10:51 am

The laptop decided that it did not want to connect with internet, I know that internet was OK as I was listening the radio via the web.

Builders noise starts early here,7 00am in the summer, they also work on Sunday but that is usually on their own projects. Like Ratatouille we have problems with the shooters at this time of year. The real problem is barking dogs, yet another letter about it in the Cyprus mail yesterday

Moira

Edited to add that according to local social media the internet problems were islandwide
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2018, 10:56 am

Utility gangs round here usually get a council licence to work overnight, which can be annoying but I do see the point as they usually have to restrict or close the A10 which is the main road into the City
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2018, 11:19 am

Deb is back from her Monday group bearing Cheesecake and this years selection of crystallised fruit. It looks as if we have chopped apricot, peach, two sorts of citrus and candied walnut, if you browse through the boxes you can find different selections of fruit. She also bought orchid compost.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2018, 11:42 am

Think you're on shaky ground Zosh http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/env-health-noise

While I don't think anyone would consider it unreasonable to do what was needed to retrieve the keys, for builders to work through the day on a Sunday in a residential area just because someone 'needs to get on' could be considered un-neighbourly and even downright selfish ... you might well be put out if it was going on at NDN's property ... you have to look at things from another person's point of view ...

Just saying :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby nursemimi » November 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Morning all Zosh you would be fine over here no one says anything about a worker getting on with a job on the weekend.
It is cold here today -4 right now but supposed to be 9 by afternoon.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 26th, 2018, 1:06 pm

To be honest Zosh, I'm with Suffs. I'd be pretty dogged off if one of our neighbours had the builders in at 8.15 on a Sunday and we certainly wouldn't inflict it on our neighbours. I do understand you had to retrieve the keys and I do realise there's no love lost where your neighbours are concerned (whereas we generally get on with ours and wouldn't want to do anything to annoy them), but it does come across a bit like upping the anti if you see what I mean. Sorry if I speak out of turn...

Glad you managed to retrieve your keys however. :D
Last edited by Seatallan on November 26th, 2018, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Taken stuff to charity shop and tip, had a good scrump round Waitrose, enjoyed a lovely lunch of rtc items and now feel as though an afternoon nap would be much nicer than housework ;). Suppose I'd better make a start and stop procrastinating - there's washing to dry too. It would be so nice to have a housekeeper.

Enjoy your lunch ltc!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 26th, 2018, 5:14 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I know that in Germany there are times when you cannot use garden or power tools.

Yes, a friend of ours who has lived in Germany for many years has mentioned that. It took him a while to get used to it. He was also once told off by a neighbour for hanging his washing out at the wrong time. :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 26th, 2018, 7:39 pm

[quote="Seatallan"
Yes, a friend of ours who has lived in Germany for many years has mentioned that. It took him a while to get used to it. He was also once told off by a neighbour for hanging his washing out at the wrong time. :)[/quote]
When DD lived in Germany as an army wife they had huge problems about not hanging out washing at the weekends because so many families had kids who were weekly boarders and came home for the weekends with bags of washing.

They also had to deal with the wheelie bin police who would knock on the door in the early hours of the morning to hand back things like yogurt potd which has been put in the wrong bin!

As for using power tools :scared: :scared: :scared:

I don't think they liked the British army!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 26th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Time to start thinking about a female 'U' name coz I think I felt a twinge just then!

:lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Well TV may be settled for this week, Alastair bSooke tackles the Art of Ancient Rome tonight and Mrs Wilson starts tomorrow, as ever the BBC trailer is designed to put you off, but I heard Ruth Wilson, who partly wrote it and plays her own grandmother talk about it on the radio ealier and it sounded interesting
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 26th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Evening all.

Ursula? Uma? Una?

I'll sit back in anticipation happy that I won't have to be doing any pushing. :grin:

What a strange day I have had. The person training me couldn't come into work, and nobody else had time to sit with me, so I struggled to fill the time. My manager alerted me to the fact that a new office chair had turned up for me and I could do with building it. You should see the size of the box it is in. Not sure my shoulder will cope! I may have to ask one of the fit fellas to help.

Right, must make a quick sandwich before bed for lunch tomorrow.

Happy sleeps all.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Sweet dreams Tezza ... and everyone else of course :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 26th, 2018, 10:36 pm

fullsizeoutput_55f.jpeg
As we have tried very hard in the past to be neighbourly towards :evil: I am not inclined to pander to :evil: whims. All efforts have been thrown back in our faces! I will wait and see what transpires. We are quite expecting to receive contact from WCC as she just loves to create and upset. Yes, I know some of you will think that that is what we are doing, but if you knew the half of it..... Builder thinks we only need 2/3 weekends to finish the brickwork. Our houses have a lot of space between properties. :evil: will complain because she can ! What will be will be..... The cement mixer is amazingly quite a long way from :evil: land and they turn it off immediately they have mixed.

:evil: has her radio on in her garden, we have to listen to it, he has a noisy motorbike and rides it on a Sunday? We have never complained, I may do so in the future.....

Anyway....... we attended funeral in Southend... :( A lovely service.

At Sevenoaks we visited the 'stone' place and I have seen what I want for my snug floor. We have chosen our rainbow sphere and have marked the spot to have it drilled through for the water feature. We even found a place that has the reservoir and reinforced grid that will support the sphere. So all I need now is the pump with LED lights at the top. See photo above.... Took me 20 mins to upload the photo !!! It is Indian sandstone and we love it.
Last edited by Zosherooney on November 27th, 2018, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 27th, 2018, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. I have been trying to think of Greek girls names starting with U without any success.
Good luck with the chair, Tezza

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2018, 7:42 am

Ulrika ka ka ka :D ;) :bounce: :tu:

Good morning all :D :mug:

Heavy rain in the night but it seems bright-ish and dry-ish so far ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 27th, 2018, 8:23 am

Good morning wild ones. Dry and very cold here this morning. We have just about a day's work to finish replacing the suspended floor then we now have to wait until after Christmas to have the concrete end of the room done. They wanted to do it the week before Christmas, but I said no way was I having Christmas lunch in the garden :shock: . At least it means by waiting we will have carpet down and a table to eat off :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » November 27th, 2018, 9:40 am

Morning all :hug:

Have not been very well. Don’t want to go into detail here but have been signed off w### for a month but need to go back in by Monday for various reasons but will take it very easy. Paramedics were here for over two hours, early hours of Saturday morning. They suggested I go into hospital but our completely overstretched A & E is like a war zone. I had a telephone conversation with an out of hours GP who said I was totally exhausted and must take some time out.

GP’s are very cautious because of my medical history.
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2018, 9:43 am

Morning all! Nasty dull day.

'Build your own chair' sounds like a horrible testing exercise. Your floor sounds lovely icey - is it the sort where the floor will be displayed or will that section be carpeted?

Made headway with cleaning and tidying yesterday. More this morning and some Christmas present wrapping. Unheard of for me to do that before December but I am seeing the recipient in a week or so and it will save the cost of posting a parcel. Meeting GD from nursery later and look forward to 2 hours of playing houses afterwards :).

Edited to say take it easy jrc :hug: :hug:. Take care of yourself. So sorry to hear things have been tough. xx
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 27th, 2018, 10:34 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Work up to sunshine again - such a treat!

Take care of yourself jrc and do as you are told!

I don't think building your own chair unaided would be a very good idea you need a strong fella to help ;)

Zosh I know you and your neighbours are not on each other's Christmas card list and she is clearly a difficult neighbour but I would caution about giving her any legitimate reason for complaint. Love your ball by the way :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Good morning everyone,
Hope you feel better soon jrc :hug:
I had really lovely lunch and catch up with my friends yesterday. The restaurant is up a hill and overlooks the Firth of Clyde the views were stunning and we stayed long enough to see the most beautiful sunset across the bay. We all opted for the set lunch and I had chicken & ham terrine followed by toulouse sausage in a butterbean stew with mash and veg. I enjoyed every mouthful of both courses. :D
Didn't expect to get up this morning to see snow on the ground, it's more or less away now and it seems as though we have a storm due to arrive overnight!
I am tired today after gallivanting yesterday so happy to have a day indoors pottering. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 27th, 2018, 10:57 am

jrc: please take it easy and look after yourself.
I have been over to Paphos, the TV Digibox needed upgrading. It was a nice trip this morning, they have started pruning the vines in Pissouri, the trimmings are burnt at the edge of the vineyard, the air was still so there were little columns of white smoke going straight up. I had to go into Pissouri for fuel so trundled along the coast road, the sea was very blue and sparkly by Aphrodite's Rock. Plus all the traffic lights were green when I got Paphos :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 27th, 2018, 11:20 am

Hope things improve soon jrc. Do rest up as much as you can. :hug:

LTC, your lunch sounds lovely as does the description of the view over the Firth of Clyde. Could you see Arran?

Tezza, get one of the men to help you. That's what they were invented for. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2018, 11:38 am

Good morning all
I went to bed early and still overslept so I must have needed it

jrc, take it easy and follow medical advice :hug:

Lunch sounds great ltc, snow not so much :D

Must get on a bit, but gently as I feel a bit snugly, hope I’m not developing a cold, I haven’t had one for a while
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 27th, 2018, 12:20 pm

I had a tickle in my throat yesterday, today I am gargling with diluted TCP.... I think I have caught it from the builder. Due to bad weather they have gone home and it is awful out there..... I have been gifted some fresh eggs from the lady I gave all my left over chicken stuff to, so I need to sort some recipes out and use up some surplus.

Thanks Rats, it is beautiful and should look great when in situ.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 27th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Seatallan wrote:Hope things improve soon jrc. Do rest up as much as you can. :hug:

LTC, your lunch sounds lovely as does the description of the view over the Firth of Clyde. Could you see Arran?

Tezza, get one of the men to help you. That's what they were invented for. :D

Yes great view of Arran and Ailsa Craig :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 27th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Lovely! :luv: :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Oh dear, hope we haven't got a Wildie lurgy going around :?.

Feeling very virtuous having wrapped the presents and rearranged the house (because my house is small I have to move all the furniture round when the ladies group come. We are reading a Murder Mystery play tomorrow night, it seems to need a lot of preparation).

Off to shower and get dressed properly now then find the umbrellas for the walk home from nursery.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 27th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Get well soon jrc.

I thought the forecasters said it would warm up a bit. It's 4C, wet and miserable. Wrap up warm, gang!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 27th, 2018, 4:14 pm

For the record Fesanjan sauce freezes well. I defrosted it slowly, heated it then added the sauce to the chicken which is now simmering quietly. I shall make it again with the intention of freezing half the sauce.
There is lightning out to sea but no storms are forecast, not that that means anything

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2018, 4:25 pm

I have frozen a couple of portions of prepared fesenjan. I’ve done it before, worked fine

I see spell checker converted snuffly to snugly earlier

Both currently correct, have popped out and done essential shopping including new ornaments for empty bathroom shelflike
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 27th, 2018, 4:56 pm

I am going to try fesenjan this weekend. The recipe calls for toasting the walnuts and then blitzing in a food processor - what sort of texture am I aiming for? Still identifiable chunks of nuts or more a powder?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2018, 5:11 pm

My recipe does not require toasting the walnuts, just blitzing them as fine as possible then frying them gently for several minutes with the onions, they do smell quite toasted when done.

This recipe is pretty much what I do, once you skip past the chat to the very simple recipe.

https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/khoresht-fesenjan-persian-pomegranate-and-walnut-stew/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 27th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I like Ulrika ka ka ka :tu:

I found the water feature pump I wanted so it involved a trip over to Romsey's World of Water. The store had two lovely pussy cats that got more attention than the pump !

Horrific rain out today, even double speed did not clear the windscreen at one point. Lots of surface water on the road - quite scary. Now hunkered down with the fire lit. Kedgeree for supper with smoked bass. I think Mr. Z might well cook it. I will be chief onion chopper. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 27th, 2018, 6:56 pm

In view of the weather, how about Ualani? Apparently, it's a Hawaiian girls name, meaning 'Heavenly Rain'. :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 27th, 2018, 7:18 pm

I bring gas and air :lol:

I have a Victorian leather covered tub chair that has not stood up well to the ravages of kids, kittens and puppies. My taid bought it from a Dr Hopper, in the cottage next to their farm. Dr Hopper was physician to Mrs Maybrick, who murdered her husband by distilling the arsnic in fly papers. It was thought her husband might have been Jack the Ripper. I am getting the chair recovered at last... who wouldn't, with a provenance like that?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Goodness Sloe! How interesting - I'm assuming it's the original leather and that it will have to be removed? A bit of a shame really.

Tired out tonight - going to have an early night and wake to see what you've named the baby. I steer clear of births, working out the backwards, forwards and Roman numerals is too complicated :). I know the name I would choose though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 27th, 2018, 7:51 pm

It's the Roman numerals that fool me!

I think I might have a name though should a forceps ensue :scared:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 27th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Can't we name our new baby Uschi, or is that against the rules?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 27th, 2018, 8:19 pm

What rules? :lol:
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 27th, 2018, 8:31 pm

http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » November 27th, 2018, 9:45 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Can't we name our new baby Uschi, or is that against the rules?

Excellent idea!

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 28th, 2018, 12:21 am

No birth yet then?

Haven't read back but will! Hoping everyone is ok! I was home before 6pm, washed, teeth brushed, a couple of quick calls and some home admin, pyjamas on, could only fit in an oven chip butty before falling asleep AGAIN in front of Masterchef at the signature stage. :rolleyes: Only just woken up in the armchair. Just checked emails. First pay packet has gone in along with a small amount of money DWP owed me. I am bouyant just in time for Christmas. What a feeling.

I'm off before I start getting contractions.

Hooe you are all sleeping tight folks. Anon for now!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » November 28th, 2018, 1:02 am

i bet that feels so satisfying after all this time tezza, congratulations, well done you.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 28th, 2018, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I was expecting a new baby this morning but perhaps she will be here by lunchtime or even coffee time.

I hear that bad weather is expected today :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 6:43 am

Good morning all. :D :mug:

Yesterday I drove DS to the middle of the Cambridgeshire Fens to pick up his new van for work ... good van (fingers crossed) but not a nice journey back in the dark and horrendous weather with DS following me until I got to familiar territory and stopped for a coffee and to compare notes ... then he headed for Thetford and on to the Suffolk coast while I went vaguely northeast homewards. I think it was around 7:30 when I got back home ...

OH had cooked some salmon, noodles and stir fried veg for himself and saved a piece of salmon and made a salad for me. I must say he’d cooked the salmon perfectly ... still beautifully soft. Then I just flollopped on the sofa for the evening ...

I’ll have to read back and see what you all got up to yesterday ... I see Tezza has good cause to feel proud of herself :hi5: :hug: and that we’re still in an ‘ante-natal situation’. :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 28th, 2018, 7:00 am

Checking back I see that no one is boiling water, I will put the kettle on. If nothing else I can make some tea

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 7:18 am

Moira ... at this rate you’ll have time to make a cuppa and boil the kettle up again ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop