Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2018, 9:42 am

StokeySue wrote:Talking of certain politicians some commentators think getting the personal stuff out of the way while not in a prominent office or running for one will mean that it will be back burner and so irrelevantvby the time there is a leadership challenge. I think they are right

I think that might work if he had the good sense to keep a low profile for a little while but while he keeps sounding off with such total inanity in order to impress yet someone else who seems to have more ambition than sense there's a very strong change nothing's going to get left on any back burner. And while we're on the subject, what qualifications does a 21 year old fresh out of uni with a degree (albeit a 1st) in Art History and Theatre Studies have to be appointed firstly as 'an Advisor' to an MP and then as Director of Communications at No 10 ......... :?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2018, 9:49 am

suffolk wrote: And while we're on the subject, what qualifications does a 21 year old fresh out of uni with a degree (albeit a 1st) in Art History and Theatre Studies have to be appointed firstly as 'an Advisor' to an MP and then as Director of Communications at No 10 .........

I missed that one but being charitable I would say that it was a relative.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 10th, 2018, 9:52 am

Good morning everyone,
We had some fierce wind & rain overnight and it's still very stormy this morning, unfortunately the fluctuating air pressure has affected my balance so I've had a very gentle start to the day. Given the weather, making pea & ham soup yesterday was a good decision. :D

ETA - Lovely sounding soups Patsy :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2018, 9:59 am

Reading back, Rats, I suspect that your hostess is not very interested in food, unlike some of us :rolleyes:

Because we have visitors in a couple of weeks time I have been checking the flight arrivals timings at Paphos. Today not only are the UK and Irish flights on time, they are up to 30 minutes early, must a following wind.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2018, 10:02 am

Moira ... you're obviously a nicer person than I am ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2018, 10:04 am

What’s wrong with young Tomasz? Have to stick up for a fellow Pomponian (person from Portsmouth) :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2018, 10:12 am

Suffs: I did say that if I was being charitable :lol: The thing that worries me about so called Parliamentary Aides, is that they leave university with something like a degree in Art History, do various political type jobs, then stand as MPs, having never been in the real world of work
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2018, 10:25 am

cyprusmoira wrote: ... then stand as MPs ...

This one seems to think she's found a way to get herself a position of power and influence without having to bother with the inconvenience of democracy :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2018, 10:59 am

I see why the chat about aides, I was mildly determined not to find out who The Other Woman is but she is unavoidable
She at least is too silly to go on to political office (fingers crossed) but PR does seem to be where they park these doozies until they can marry them off Things haven’t changed very much from the pre-war London society depicted by Evelyn Waugh sadly
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2018, 11:25 am

StokeySue wrote:... She at least is too silly to go on to political office (fingers crossed) ...

I'm afraid that plenty of precedents prove otherwise :rolleyes: but suspect that her plan is to move into No 10 with him ... and not as an employee ... and she's manoeuvering him into a corner ... he's such an arrogant fool ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 10th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Afternoon wild ones. Just finished chopping and prepping for tonight's dinner, we are having chicken chasseur with mashed potato following a recipe from slimming world. You can tell autumn is on its way can't you. :lol: We will be talking the C word soon. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2018, 12:21 pm

suffolk wrote:
StokeySue wrote:... She at least is too silly to go on to political office (fingers crossed) ...

I'm afraid that plenty of precedents prove otherwise :rolleyes: but suspect that her plan is to move into No 10 with him ... and not as an employee ... and she's manoeuvering him into a corner ... he's such an arrogant fool ...

Until the next one comes along Suffs :lol: :lol: Fingers crosses indeed Sue. It doesn't seem to have been too much of a barrier before!

Autumn is absolutely not round any corner near us. It was 30C at lunch time and not a breath of wind. I think the whole problem with yesterday's lunch was taht the cook had not taken the weather into account and went for mostly autumn dishes. The other thing is that her OH hates vegetables and doesn't see any reason to serve them to anyone!!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 10th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Good morning all It is lovely and cool here this morning and finally clear sky's
after a week of rain. My OH wasn't fond of any vegetables but corn and green beans
when we got married but I have over the years got him to eat everything but cauliflower.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 10th, 2018, 12:34 pm

30C :o :o :o It's a cool breezey 18C here at the moment, I have just put a cardigan on. I don't want to turn up at the surgery on Saturday for my flu jab with a cold. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 10th, 2018, 12:46 pm

We have already had are first case of Flu at the hospital this year!
Flu shot this week at work for me I will need to schedule OH and appointment
to get his.
16 degrees here this morning.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Ratatouille wrote:The other thing is that her OH hates vegetables and doesn't see any reason to serve them to anyone!!

That is the problem when people just cook for themselves and do not take their guests into consideration, vegetables could have been prepared for the guests.

Every thing is back to what passes for normal here. The builders trucks are thundering past, the children are back at school and there is a noise of diggers in the background.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Afternoon all! Was only supposed to have a short sleep today as I will be going to bed as normal tonight but I slept later than in any of the past few days :rolleyes:. It's a lovely day. I shall walk down to Morrissons for a few things then come back and catch up on housework so I don't have to think about it for the rest of the week when the big September garden prep for winter and tip visit must be done.

The trouble with politicians is that we can only select them from those who choose to stand, even in a so-called democracy ... and people vote for them too. I am afraid that the class clown tactics are wearing rather thin here.

The question is ... Ladies, could/would you take the path of our illustrious aide to further your career/social standing? What a catch :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 10th, 2018, 7:05 pm

With Boris?
Not ruddy likely.

PS predictive text wanted me to put "spreadsheet" after ruddy.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 10th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I don't think there is enough gin on the planet :sprout: :sprout: and believe me I've had some well dodgy boyfriends ........
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 10th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Evening all.

I skipped the decorating today as I could feel my shoulder would be complaining. Instead I went out for lunch with my mum and picked up some essentials, then booked in some repair works. My toilet seems to be leaking from the cistern again, and the front of my cutlery drawer is hanging on by a thread! I could attempt the latter myself but I am afraid of buggering it up! I also booked my flu jab for two weeks time.

Some good TV on now. I'm aiming NOT to stay up until 1am watching Millionaire again.... but we'll see! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Oh gosh no, never ambitious enough to go for Boris. I’m with you on the gin ltc. I did have one dodgy right wing boyfriend, but in my defence he was a ringer for Edward Fox circa Day of the Jackal

Like I said - assuming all constituency Conservative selection panels still contain one or more middle aged female battle axes I don’t think the bimbo aide could get selected as a candidate in a safe seat
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 10th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Funnily enough I was at Trafalgar Square on Saturday and Boris cycled past me. He seems quite jovial
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 11th, 2018, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bright and shiny morning here.
There is a debate in progress, as previously mentioned my Bro &SIL are visiting, where shall we take them? Also where shall we eat out? On checking my original suggestion in Pissouri has poor Trip Advisor reviews for the last month, it looks like they have trouble in the kitchen.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2018, 5:46 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Has a decision been made Moira? Hope you have a lovely outing wherever you go 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 11th, 2018, 5:57 am

We are promised 33 degrees here today, good job we are planning a chill out day around the pool....

p.s. predictive text changed chill out day to children's day out !!!!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2018, 6:05 am

Morning all! What an idyllic place to laze Zosh! 33 degrees is a distant memory here, it's getting more and more autumnal and I need the light on this morning :(.

Up bright and early as I am going with DIL to drop GD at nursery so that I know where to go when I pick her up later and they know who I am.

Hope your dilemmas are suitably sorted Moira!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 11th, 2018, 6:45 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: we have the double glazing company coming today to replace the back door hinges which have worn out. Nice day to have the door taken off for an hour. :|
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 11th, 2018, 8:26 am

earthmaiden wrote:Hope your dilemmas are suitably sorted Moira!

Our visitors are not due until the end of the month but we like to have some ideas in place. Earlier I remembered that we have not been to the Venetian Bridges, they are some picturesque bridges further up in the hills, built by the Venetians in the 16th Century so that copper ore could be transported from the mines to the coast. The tourist coaches cannot get down the narrow roads.

I came back from the supermarket via Kurion Beach. There is an hourly bus service, I was pleased to see half a dozen people pile off the bus onto the beach.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2018, 8:34 am

Our local Freecycle is offering 'a box of unrequited kitchen stuff' ........... wonder what could be in there? :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 11th, 2018, 8:38 am

I think I would have to get that just to see..... :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2018, 9:07 am

Good morning
We have a wind and it’s bringing the clouds

Some of the things people attempt to sell on our local Facebook market page amaze me - things I’d sneak into the rubbish hoping nobody would see - that were cheap to start with, have obviously been used close to destruction, and they are still asking money for it :?

Need to resume doing my exercises properly now the soft tissue injury from the fall has cleared - the arthritis is still a bit sharp but I think I can soothe it a little by keeping moving little and often

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 11th, 2018, 9:16 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's going to be a hot one here too Zosh. We had 31 yesterday and it was more than a little muggy.

Perhaps The Artist could introduce some of the shops more up-market eqipment to the poor lonely box suffs.?
I've jys blitzed the back of the kitchen door and am wondering why any human being would need 11 aprons :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: OK. 2 are Mr R's and i need one for the bbq, one for baking and one anti-gravy stain one but 6 more??

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Funnily enough I was at Trafalgar Square on Saturday and Boris cycled past me. He seems quite jovial

Couldn't you have stuck a foot or and unbrella out??? My F-I-L was somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan. he was of the opinion that the England football team wasn't English because they were no longer all white!. It wasn't worth arguing because it just upset M-I- as she got the backlash.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2018, 9:35 am

Back from nursery school - all very nice :luv:. I thought I was collecting at midday but it's not till 3pm so there's time for :mug: before making a Noodle cheese cake for the Romanian evening tonight. Sadly (or maybe thankfully) I am on a special diet in preparation for a medical check on Thursday so won't be able to have any.

I know people who have had dealings with Boris and he is apparently both jovial and charming. I still don't much want him as a suitor or PM though.

Glad things are improving Sue, was getting a bit worried about you but hopefully a little more of the right sort of exercise will be beneficial now.

I had forgotten how entertaining Freecycle could be. Our local group folded - I don't remember why. There is something called Freegle but I have never used it. Freecycle was so simple to use.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 11th, 2018, 10:07 am

Good morning everyone,
Noodle cheesecake sounds interesting EM!
Still wild & windy here though dry so far this morning. I'm hoping the weather holds as I want to clean the front porch and if it stays dry get the front windows washed.
Pea & ham soup again for lunch :chops: but not sure what to make tonight.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 11th, 2018, 10:34 am

Morning folks.

My evening unexpectedly ended up with me being on the phone to a friend who had some family worries yesterday. We were chatting until almost 1am. At the same time I was quite concerned about the elder outside my living room window which was being so badly bashed about by the wind the branches were almost hitting the walls of the building.

You do have to wonder what's going on in people's lives when you see what they put on Freecycle. Currently we have somebody giving away empty wine bottles. Point being? :lol: Also, a number of posts by the same person giving away various good quality items of decorating equipment including a very good looking step ladder and a wallpaper stripper. I thought this could be an act of revenge after a marital dispute! I once saw 'Offer - water butt which has sprung a leak' followed immediately by the same person 'Wanted - water butt as my last one sprung a leak'. It can be quite entertaining. :lol:

I have decided to have a lazy day. I don't fancy going out in this wind, plus I'm feeling the effects of such a late night phone call.

Have fun all.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2018, 10:43 am

Wine makers need empty wine bottles Tezza ... when I made a lot of wine friends would use my garage rather than their recycling boxes :lol:

and some gardeners (including my DD) use old leaky water butts to grow rhubarb/horseradish/bamboo in .... almost everything can be recycled if you're enough of a Womble :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 11th, 2018, 10:58 am

You have enlightened me! :tu: Love the reference to Wombles! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2018, 11:21 am

My dad used to take his empty wine bottles for his post grad students to use for home wine making. He was a bit shy of giving away rubbish at first, but they pointed out that they had been paying good money for empty bottles of lower quality, so he was subsidising them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 11th, 2018, 11:43 am

My son happily receives all unwanted beer and wine bottles.........he brews beer. A neighbour is a gardener, nearly every garden he looks after has unwanted apples, so they are going to have a go with brewing cider next. They had difficulty in finding an Apple press they could borrow, but said neighbour got married on Saturday- his new wife got him an Apple press as a wedding present.

Just noticed that autocorrect on my iPad had defaulted to a capital A on Apple...........I wonder why....... :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » September 11th, 2018, 12:29 pm

i am 'live tracking' a parcel that is predicted to arrive in about half an hour - he has just delivered one to a friend the other side of the village from me!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I did that recently Scully. I was astounded how many deliveries were made in a very small area before he reached me!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm

scullion wrote:i am 'live tracking' a parcel that is predicted to arrive in about half an hour

Which reminds me ... Amazon are refunding me the Next Day Delivery charge for the birthday present which arrived late :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 11th, 2018, 1:24 pm

i was astounded that he arrived at our gate just as i got down there - why can't all delivery services have such tracking‽‽
there's another service like that that shows the person you're waiting for's journey in real time on a map - like a reverse satnav. you can see them on the app as you can hear them driving round the corner.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » September 11th, 2018, 1:25 pm

off to see the bleeding people now!
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 12th, 2018, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, very quiet here yesterday evening, where was Grassy?
My SIL has replied to my note about dietary requirements, no change there. She mentioned going to a taverna via a bumpy track, that will be Melanda Beach so that is not a problem. They will be here during Full Moon, Melanda is well known locally as a great place for full moon watching.

My lace and craft restarts this afternoon so I can ask about local tavernas and Deb wants to know where she can buy embroidery threads without resorting to mail order. The two best shops, one on the other side of Limassol, the other in Paphos have closed.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 12th, 2018, 5:44 am

Morning all, Hot hot hot day yesterday, we walked to and from the main supermarket for red wine, lemonchello, local oregano, and some interesting fish stock powder. Then lounged in and around the pool. Sarnie made from brekkie buffet was lunch on the balcony. Afternoon nap was spoilt by an upsetting e-mail from :evil: niece querying solicitor detail on Dads probate which will only result in more time delay and more expense. She seems to think she is going to fight the whole of Europes legal fraternity over costs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck with your medical EM :tu: Penultimate full rest day and he sun is already up and hot. I am advised this unseasonal weather is coming up from the Azores. Sept. can be changeable, cool and rainy, but the Beeb says we are due 32 and wall 2 wall sunshine......AGAIN !!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 12th, 2018, 5:50 am

I’m off to the Azores in ten days, I hope it remains hot!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » September 12th, 2018, 6:21 am

28 for me later today in Paris, don’t think I’ll need my “big coat” :lol:

Its hard traveling light when you leave 13 & jump to 28 :rolleyes:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2018, 6:46 am

Good morning wild ones. It's not as cold this morning. Yesterday afternoon we had sunshine, it is predicted again this afternoon too :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2018, 7:24 am

How can it be 28 in Paris?! (I am not doubting this, but well it's not that far away...) Mind you 31 in Karlsruhe where husband is in southern Germany, which is oddly (I feel) due east of Paris. I wish I had time to visit him/go away. I want some sunshine!

I am off to Normandy in two weeks. It will be cold and wet...
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop