Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2018, 7:25 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I slept in this morning :shock: :D I thought I’d posted yesterday pm but maybe I didn’t. I spent a great afternoon in the studio :D
Tennis starts today and I’ll need to pop to the shops too as I’ve got some baking to do for MILs tea party on Sunday ... scones have been requested.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2018, 8:24 am

Zosherooney wrote:we walked to and from the main supermarket for red wine, lemonchello, local oregano, and some interesting fish stock powder.

Hope you are not intending to bring any of the oregano back with you Zosh…. I suspect you already know that bringing fresh vegetation of any kind back from abroad into the UK is now advised against due to the spread of disease, particularly a nasty virus :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2018, 8:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hot here too 31/2 forecaste and I wouldn't be surprised. Actually it was even hotter 2 years ago I am reliably informed by our resident weather recorder. We were woken at 5.00 by the garpe harvester trundling up and down the vine nearby. They harvest in the early hours so the grapes are as cool as possible when they go into the press. I know it's necessary but it is loud.

I was watering the flowers in the first floor window ledges just now when our friend of the wild boar incident came by below trying to get in his obligatory exercise before it gets too hot. He says it is exhausting. I am doing a little match making between him and our very nice new neighbour. A single lady of about the same age. I have arranged a lunch party next week andI am aslo inviting another single man so as not to make it obvious :lol: :lol: Now all i need to do is sort out a menu. One is a pescatarian the other doesn't eat fruit in any form. I am wondering about a salmon koulibiac for the main?
I

?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » September 12th, 2018, 8:41 am

Showing 27 now Herb, sending some warmth you way 8-)
Attachments
2A0EE1A8-9619-439E-9919-02511F922E81.jpeg
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » September 12th, 2018, 8:57 am

I hope the lady doesn't fall for the wrong one Rats!

Nasty dull day here, I had earmarked the day for garden tidying and shed painting but think it can wait until next week. Have plenty to do otherwise and as I have the joy of a colonoscopy tomorrow am not allowed any more food today (and a date with awful sounding laxatives later). Yesterday I was only allowed pappy white food. I thought it would be a naughty treat but really missed fruit and veg. Made me think hard too over the subject of cheap unfilling food v slightly more expensive filling food with more natural nutrients and roughage in austere times.

The Romanian evening went well and there was quite interesting food. Some small local shops have Romanian goodies, not all of us knew. Mostly cakes and biscuits. They seemed to be impressed with my cheese noodle pie. I would try it again - without the noodles - because it seemed like a good baked cheesecake recipe. There is some left which I will try after tomorrow's fun and games.

Goodness, 10am already ... time to do things! Have a good day. :hug:
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 12th, 2018, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 12th, 2018, 8:58 am

It’s just stopped raining here. It’s 12 deg C. Expected to reach 15 later this afternoon. Nice and cool, so I may spend the morning trying to find out where the coolant is leaking from her car. It’s being very elusive. It’s a black car and the bodywork has been too hot to touch recently because of the sun.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2018, 9:19 am

Well I have so far had a productive morning. :D I have steam cleaned the living room and dining room carpets and the kitchen floor and hoovered right through. :tu: The sun is out and the beasts are back from their walk and currently sleeping in their beds in the garden :D The temperature is just touching 20C with no breeze.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2018, 9:29 am

EM :hug: good luck with the 'prep' and procedure ... not fun but well worth doing :tu:

I've just done an online booking for my free flu jab at the little Boots in the village. Someone please remind me if I'm posting here at 10am on 1st Oct that I need to get my skates on and get down the road :shock: :lol:

Now I must get ready for tennis followed by a quick raid on W'rose ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I had to laugh at this news item - talk about getting the priorities right :lol: :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45494204
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm

My flu jab is 6 minutes past 8am on Saturday at the surgery. The temperature is now up to 24C with a breeze, the washing is drying nicely :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I've got washing out too Ice ... we had drizzle this morning but it's turned into quite a nice, if slightly overcast, day :D

Tennis was fine ... although why do some folk (chaps in the main) not realise that playing on a small indoor court doesn't necessitate a Sam Groth-type serve shock Grrrrr! they spoil it for themselves and everyone else.

I've emptied W'rose and put it all away in our fridges/freezer and cupboards and had the last of the sweetcorn soup for lunch ... made some stock from the remains of Sunday's chicken and swept the floors downstairs. We have some of W'rose's big fishcakes for supper so I'll get into the studio for a bit to finish off a bit of a project ...........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 12th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I have been given a large bag of passion fruits, I feel a need to make cheese cake especially since I found that it can be frozen in slices. Mr Google says that passion fruit pulp freezes well.
It is a hive of industry here in the village. I thought that I could hear a staple gun yesterday, they are relining and replacing the tiles on the church roof. Effie's mother is having her house painted, there is further house painting and roof refurbishment going on around the corner. When I crossed the main road there were Men at Work signs, someone is having the drainage in front of their house improved, they live on a slope, when it rains all the water ends up in their garden .

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2018, 3:39 pm

suffolk wrote:Tennis was fine ... although why do some folk (chaps in the main) not realise that playing on a small indoor court doesn't necessitate a Sam Groth-type serve shock Grrrrr! they spoil it for themselves and everyone else.

The tennis equivalent of blokes swimming butterfly stroke at local pool. Guaranteed to empty the pool of most of the water and practically drown you every time they pass. :rolleyes:

EM- hope it goes well.... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2018, 5:58 pm

earthmaiden wrote:and as I have the joy of a colonoscopy tomorrow am not allowed any more food today (and a date with awful sounding laxatives later).

Been there, done that em …. just make sure you don't move far from your toilet , although that little bit of knowledge may already be too late :( :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 12th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Good evening everyone,
Good luck EM :hug: :hug:
Late online today as internet was iffy earlier so I got cracking on with more "Autumn" cleaning and as the weather was reasonable did some gardening.
I have the kids home this weekend so have just placed a huge Tesco order to be delivered on Friday in anticipation, I suspect the fridge will be bare come Tuesday when they depart ;)
I am well & truly ready to chill out this evening and a :cocktail: may feature :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 12th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Evening all,

Good luck EM :hug:

Thought I'd better pop in and :wave:

I've not been up to much but paid some bills, had lunch with my mum then had a good old brisk walk. I contemplated hanging my pictures up on walls but just can't make my mind up which ones I want in which room. I'll ponder on that one.

Not much on TV apart from GBM that I fancy. Possibly an early night for me.

And that's my excitement of the day! :lol:

Have good evenings everyone.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2018, 6:26 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I have been given a large bag of passion fruits, I feel a need to make cheese cake especially since I found that it can be frozen in slices. Mr Google says that passion fruit pulp freezes well.
It is a hive of industry here in the village. I thought that I could hear a staple gun yesterday, they are relining and replacing the tiles on the church roof. Effie's mother is having her house painted, there is further house painting and roof refurbishment going on around the corner. When I crossed the main road there were Men at Work signs, someone is having the drainage in front of their house improved, they live on a slope, when it rains all the water ends up in their garden .

Moira

Passionfruit curd is to die for Moira
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 12th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Ooh....passion fruit curd sounds delicious! :drool:

Folks - do we have a thread specifically on the subject of slow cooking? I've had a look. Is someone able to bump it if one exists please? :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 13th, 2018, 5:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit chilly (for us) this morning. We will be back up to 30 C by 11 00am
We went to Pastos for supper last night, very disappointing, standard taverna menu but tasteless. I ordered a small pork chop with mushroom sauce, it turned out to be three small chops with a tasteless sauce. It is a popular place, lots of people there, I can't think why

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 13th, 2018, 5:14 am

EM Good luck with the laxatives. Patsy, it is dried oregano and yes I will be bringing it home with me, but it will never leave my kitchen !

Long lazy day around the pool yesterday it got to 36 at 1pm. Supper was out at the local place where we had the takeaway of roast chicken, pork and roast tatos. This time I was recommended to have a local island dish which was a layered affair of a type of tasty stuffing with ham HB egg and mozzarella with a veg plate of mixed stuff, some pickled, some fresh. We bumped into 4 others from the hotel and made a table of 6, we caught the shuttle bus up at 11am and then had one or two for the stairs, hit the sack at 1pm ! :o I fear there may be some sore heads this morning or afternoon.....

Last full day today, this time tomorrow we will be leaving the hotel to catch the ferry back to the mainland for the flight home. :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 13th, 2018, 6:00 am

Morning all! It got so cold last night and the weather man says there may have been frost in East Anglia :o. I hope that the gardens of our friends there have not suffered.

Zosh, I don't think I would ever want to come home from there.

Thanks for all your good wishes ;). It was really easy not eating yesterday, wish I always found it so :rolleyes: . The food on GB banquet looked particularly appealing though (well, some of it at least). Time to prepare myself for the day now. Toodleoo.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 13th, 2018, 6:33 am

Good morning wild ones. A tad chilly at the moment but it's dry. Shopping day again today, veggies need replenishing, there is just one small carrot and a small floret of broccoli in the veg draw.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 13th, 2018, 7:09 am

EM, got everything crossed for you.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 7:39 am

Good luck EM :tu: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2018, 8:53 am

Good luck earthmaiden

I should get going, need to tackle my floors :o

Have s good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 13th, 2018, 8:55 am

Morning all,

Super chilly here! The pidgeons have been going mad in the elder tree out front. I think they are enjoying the dark berries. The tree is now getting scarily close to the building it has grown so much over the summer months, and in strong wind it is almost climbing in through my window. I saw some tree cutters at the end of the street yesterday and hoping that they are working their way down to this one. It does need a hair cut!

A walk is imminent while the sun is out! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2018, 9:06 am

I don’t think elder trees usually do a lot of damage to buildings but they are persistent. They cut one on my great uncle’s grave a couple of years ago, cut right back to a few inches high, darn thing is trying to coppice, I pull the new shoots off about every 3 weeks, it’s a war of attrition. I will win! Thought the hot weather had finished it but had to tidy it on Sunday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

I have the black Elder in my garden - the one with lovely dark purple leaves and pink flowers and it can take a very severe pruning each year. I wish I had the right place in my garden to grow it as a small standard/lollipop - it looks lovely pruned like that :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Oat » September 13th, 2018, 9:35 am

Clothes packed, drill charging, ready for six nights away in the caravan, leaving in the morning. Thetford forest in July was magical looking forward to it in September.
Oat
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 13th, 2018, 9:50 am

Good morning everyone,
Hope all goes well EM :hug:
It's back to wet & wild here today so I'm not planning on straying further than the wheelie bins!
House cleaning continues and today it is the kitchen/conservatory. It's mainly a de-clutter and a wipe down so hopefully not too bendy a job. I'll get the floors mopped this afternoon and that just leaves the bathroom to tackle tomorrow. Once it's done I'll have done all the bits I can do, my son has promised to tackle upstairs when he's next up on holiday. :)
Lunch will be something quick and tonight I'm going to use left over roast veg to make pasta, I've tomato sauce in the freezer so an easy meal to put together.
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2018, 10:01 am

Zosherooney wrote: Supper was out [..]We bumped into 4 others from the hotel and made a table of 6, we caught the shuttle bus up at 11am and then had one or two for the stairs, hit the sack at 1pm ! I fear there may be some sore heads this morning or afternoon.....

that sounds like a very long meal and and a long session at the bar!

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have the black Elder in my garden - the one with lovely dark purple leaves and pink flowers

a friend has one in her garden; she says it makes a lovely,delicate rosé elderflower champagne.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 13th, 2018, 10:22 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have the black Elder in my garden - the one with lovely dark purple leaves and pink flowers ….

scullion wrote:a friend has one in her garden; she says it makes a lovely,delicate rosé elderflower champagne.

Why have I never thought of doing that? ... :o :oops: :bounce: :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 11:03 am

My apologies :oops: I've realised that I didn't say good morning properly ... :wave:

In my defence I've been very busy :D ... I've made two batches of rough puff pastry (12 ozs flour in each batch) to make thousands of sausage rolls for MIL's tea party on Sunday ... it's all resting in the fridge along with lots of W'rose lovely GOS sausages already without their skins courtesy of the lovely lady on the butchery counter, and I'll make them tomorrow and scones on Saturday.

I've also got two loads of washing on the line, cleaned the inside of the washing machine (drawer and drum etc), made a big batch of Chicken and leek soup (that's lunch for the next few days sorted) and cooked down a load of tomatoes ready to freeze for soups/sauces etc ... OH will probably snaffle some of it for the lamb rogan josh he's making for supper.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 13th, 2018, 11:42 am

Zosherooney wrote:Patsy, it is dried oregano and yes I will be bringing it home with me, but it will never leave my kitchen !

This is what I am wittering on about Zosh, but probably too late now as I think you are on your way home ?

http://press.rhs.org.uk/RHS-Science-and ... sts-a.aspx
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 11:50 am

Patsy ... a very good point :tu:

Just a little of something that was intended never to leave someone's kitchen may well have been the cause of a national disaster ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35581830

a bit of infected plant material popped onto someone's compost heap ........... ??? :scared:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Morning everyone :wave:

Last week we decided on a change of routine following last Wednesdays nightmare. So Thursday will now be our suoermarket day. I must say it was better - no kids not quite as many shelf stackers. I just have to get my food planning ducks lined up. meanwhile Sonia has a free run with the mop and duster so we came back to an immaculate house.

It was another hot one last night and there were storms raging to both the north and south and the lightning flashed on and off all night. We had the fan back on again.It was 31C at lunch time too. I bet this is the run-up to another big storm. Let's hope not on Saturday it is our wheelchair warrior's birthday and we have all been invited to lunch in a local restaurant which has a gorgeous terrace.

I hope all went well em and that Zosh has a safe journey home.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 13th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Glad that the new shopping day looks promising Rats!

All went well today, thankfully no problems. Had a long wait before and afterwards with some other women, all of whom were very interesting and we could have chatted for longer! It was noted that instead of the promised tea and toast, we were given tea or coffee from a machine and two packets of three biscuits, one was something plain such as digestive and the other bourbon creams. The nurse opened the plain packs ready for us to eat, which we duly did. Somehow, before anyone managed to open their bourbons it was time to get dressed and they were whisked away unopened. I wondered if they were returned to stock or whether they became nurses' perks once they had been 'served'.

I have tried the cheese noodle pie. 'Interesting'.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Glad it wasn’t too grim EM. :tu: Enjoy your supper. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 13th, 2018, 5:57 pm

EM glad to hear all is well.....

We are just having the last Aperol Spritzer before (the last) supper is served. Early finish tonight, as an early start tomorrow morning. Seems my cat sitter has won over the boys but has seen nothing of the big grey splodge in 2 weeks. The food from her own feeding machine has been disappearing and it is not the boys so we know she is OK, just extremely shy....

See you all on the other side.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 13th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Time for me to hit the hay too.

Dixie is snoring away in her bed. :luv:

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » September 13th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Just back from Paris, the highlight being the most lovely Chicken caesar salad ever, at 16€ maybe it should be but delish.

I’ve sorted the EU for a while & poped by just to make sure EM was fine, I have nightmares of Movie prep :aww: :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Hello
Good that everything went well earthmaiden

Back from WI and pub
Bed soon, good might
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 14th, 2018, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:Back from WI and pub
Not a statement that you see very often, Sue. :D
Much cooler yesterday evening, we had to close a couple of the doors yesterday evening.

We another visit from the little cat. Deb had made a potato salad, left it on the worktop covered with a sieve, came back to find that all the mayonnaise had been licked off the top. Luckily the Cheese & Onion tart was shut in the oven.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 6:54 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Very annoying about the cat Moira ... what a shame ... we love potato salad :rolleyes:
A dry bright morning with a covering of altocumulus cloud ... think that means colder weather’s on its way so shall pick the rest of the tomatoes and bring them indoors to finish ripening.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 14th, 2018, 6:55 am

Good morning wild ones. I hope all a safe. With hurricanes, gas explosions, collapsing cliffs around the world its not a safe world. :shock:
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 14th, 2018, 7:17 am

Morning, and happy Friday folks.

A day at home is planned here unless my mum fancies popping round then no doubt we will end up in Sainsbury's cafe. After that all I need today is a ball of string so that I can hang a new cork board up in my kitchen. Happy days! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2018, 8:22 am

Morning all! A nice day. I shall pootle about this morning and go for a walk later. Just a PS from yesterday, several of us had jumped onto the scales thinking we would be super-light yesterday morning, but none of us was any lighter :( :lol:.

How sad about the potato salad Moira. You will have to get what we used to call a fly cupboard, I think meat safe is the correct name. Funny to think there are now several generations who have never seen one.

Icey :hug:. There is some good stuff going on too! We are so lucky to generally miss the weather extremes - maybe those grey skies are worth it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 14th, 2018, 8:49 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:Back from WI and pub
Not a statement that you see very often, Sue. :D

Actually the new urban WI groups often meet in pubs
We are urban but had a very interesting outdoor session with Jo from the green wood working group, they have an outdoor area in the cemetery park and do a lot of spoon whittling courses
Book club tonight

It’s quite cold, might put the heating on for half an hour and check pressure and bleed a couple of radiators
No rain forecast until after the weekend though

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 14th, 2018, 8:50 am

Glad all is OK EM. Hope you have a relaxing time today. :wave: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 14th, 2018, 11:10 am

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm glad all went well EM :hug:
Chilly, wet & windy here so not a day for venturing far.
Apart from the basic day to day chores I've done all the cleaning I'm going to be doing for a few days. My kids are up this weekend and I'm looking forward to catching up with them and doing a bit of family cooking. There will be 8 of us on Sunday so I'm going for a loosely Tex-Mex based crowdpleasers. I'll make chilli tomorrow and everyone will pitch in on the day with the rst of the meal prep. Burgers have been requested for tonight so I'll make these up this afternoon. :)
liketocook
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop