Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 11:16 am

52 sausage rolls made .... 51 are cooling on the rack .... 50 will be packed up to take to MIL's tea party ;) :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 14th, 2018, 11:42 am

Suffs, do you have sausage roll addicts in your part of the world?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Moira ... my late Pa was a sausage roll addict ... it was a standing joke not just within the family but in the wider village that in order to ensure Pa's attendance at an event one had to serve sausage rolls. We served sausage rolls after his funeral but as he didn't eat any there were loads left :lol:

MIL is having a tea party to 'open' her new 'garden room' ... she says she's invited around 40 people :shock: I'm making scones tomorrow :chef:

Sausage rolls for MIL.jpg

The first batch of sausage rolls ... these are made with GOS sausagemeat and have some tomato chutney in them :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Oh wow! They look delicious. How will you keep them fresh if they are not to be eaten today?

Really came here to say i have spent all morning sorting out the junk mail. I have recently been inundated with clothes catalogues from firms I've never heard of before, some quite exclusive and nice ... but I wish I knew who had sold my details on to them!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 12:21 pm

They'll be wrapped in greaseproof and put in a Lock n lock box in the fridge ... they'll be fine there until Sunday :D We'll zap them in MIL's microwave and serve them still warm. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Am I invited?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 14th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Just got back after a busy morning . Chiropodist, fish monger etc etc so on the way home we jumped off at the relais routier for Moules frites :chops: Before that I had the great discovery of a fresh crab , a rare beastie in these parts so it's devilled crab tonight.

Yummy looking sausage rolls Suffs. Sounds as if it is going to be a good tea party.

It was a beautiful morning this morning and the mountains looked wonderful. There was a number of foreign cars around. People who can come on holiday on days like this are very lucky.

Sue I love the picture of the urban WI ladies whittling in the cemetery :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Am I invited?

Of course ;) ... I think there'll be ukeleles 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 14th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I wondered about the ukeleles :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 1:08 pm

We're wondering whether a scheme is afoot for the Garden Room to become a rehearsal space ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Are neighbours in close proximity?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 2:04 pm

The houses are all detached with quite decent sized gardens, plus Pam on one side is deaf and dear Bert & Mary on the other side don't hear that well either ... come to that neither does MIL ;) ... perhaps it's to do with them all living opposite the church with it's loud clock which chimes the quarter hours :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 14th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Evening all.

I could almost smell those sausage rolls looking at the photo. Enjoy the tea party! :grin:

Lunch with mum happened as semi predicted. Well, I say lunch. I ended up with the freshest, most full of jam doughnut I have ever eaten. It was a filthy operation but someone had to do it. :lol: A visit to the library did not happen as their closing time daily is 2pm while they await the move across the centre of town this winter into the new leisure complex being built. We will have a brand spanking new swimming pool as part of the build. Guess where I will be spending most of my spare time when it opens! :bounce:

The skies are dark here already. Food show heaven is imminent. Pyjamas and fluffy slippers at the ready. I think I should light some candles and relax. Tomorrow is another day.....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Those sausage rolls :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Had a busy day today! Builders came this morning, and took down the old front wall, replacing it with a fence (and a very good job they've made of it, too). In the afternoon, our local sparky put our lounge wall lights back up - the lounge is now officially finished after 2 weeks of work :woohoo: We've been doing some planting, and also, it's clean-up day today - so, busy, busy, busy all day.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby scullion » September 15th, 2018, 12:45 am

StokeySue wrote:had a very interesting outdoor session with Jo from the green wood working group

are you now a bodger‽
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2018, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I like to think of Sue and her fellow WI members whittling away in Stoke Newington. I had read about the "new" WI branches, not all Jam & Jerusalem.
I am salivating about sausage rolls

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2018, 6:37 am

Good morning wild ones. I love sausage rolls :luv: :chops: :drool: :drool: :drool:
I am off to the surgery shortly for my flu jab, I better not be late, I have had two text messages already saying my appointment is six minutes past eight :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 6:59 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Thoughts are with all enduring the vagaries of the planet’s weather systems at the moment.
Today is scone baking day ... but first I’m heading for the shower ....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2018, 7:17 am

Morning all! It's a glorious day. Would like to pootle off for a day out but have promised to visit someone in hospital this afternoon and a friend is coming round to fetch something this morning. I might venture into the garden but try and keep my nails clean ;) . There is plenty of cutting back to do. By the way,, how do you sharpen secateurs? My carborundum stone is only a small one on a handle and doesn't really do it very well.

I too like to think of the whittling ladies but am more impressed at the way the amenity continues to be used so well in the community. One of my great grandmothers is buried there, it sounds such a nice place.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2018, 8:10 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Early dash into the market for Mr R because we will soon be off up the valley with our tame Danes to help celebrate Amanda , the Wheelchair Warrior's birthday. We will be bearing a beautiful birthday gateau from our fab patisserie and a large boquet from our equally fabulous florist whoe real name is actually Florian !

We watched The Post - Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks last night. What a fabulous film, utterly rivetting.

It's a beautiful morning so hopefully we will be able to have lunch on the terrace.

Happy scone baking Suffs - see you all later.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 8:49 am

earthmaiden wrote: By the way,, how do you sharpen secateurs? My carborundum stone is only a small one on a handle and doesn't really do it very well.

Here you are EM https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/g ... secateurs/ All you need to know.

I've just discovered that it's 20% off weekend at the garden centre, so not only do I have to bake scones ... I have to pop up the road and spend money :bounce: ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2018, 8:51 am

Hi :wave: I am back. Flu jab done. It was like a cattle market :o The beasts have just taken OH out for a walk so time to put the kettle on, anyone for :mug: :mug:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2018, 9:02 am

Thank you Suffs. It looks as though I need a similar implement to that shown. I have some money off Wyevale vouchers but don't suppose they sell anything as useful as that (they don't seem to sell anything useful these days :rolleyes: ). I will pop in later if there's time.

You've reminded me icey, we are usually offered flu jabs at work. I had my first one last year.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2018, 9:29 am

One cheese cake made, N Slaters recipe, it is cooling in oven, I shall have to leave it there to deter marauding cats. To be served with passion fruit.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

Like Moira the other day, I am tracking am Amazon parcel due to arrive today (yes, I know, it was the only easy place to find a slightly obscure used book that I don't much want to read anyway :( ). I thought it was just coming from somewhere in the UK but it started its journey in Italy, went to a place called Bardon Hill which appears to be a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Leicestershire (I think it might be near East Midlands airport), then Bristol (possibly by air), then Swindon.

Quite apart from the reasons for boycotting Amazon, as so eloquently highlighted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the air/travel miles for all this ordering individual stuff online are quite dreadful and the cost doesn't really reflect it. I am trying to remember how we might have got hold of a particular secondhand book before all this mail order stuff started. Yes, we would have trawled secondhand bookshops, but, despite having parents whose lives revolved round books both professionally and otherwise, I really can't remember. Perhaps by placing an ad in certain publications?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

Morning all.

You lot put me to shame being so industrious already! I have only just emerged out of my pit after police were called here at 3am to nasty sounding goings on in the building. Not sure of the outcome as I had to put ear plugs in to get some sleep after listening to it from before GBM started until 3am.

Still on track though. :tu: I will be visiting our 3rd Saturday of the month market, the library and then prepping onions, carrots and celery for the freezer. The sun is out and the birds are singing. Should be a good 'un.

I would say have fun but it sounds like, while I have been snoozing, you already have been! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 15th, 2018, 10:09 am

scullion wrote:
StokeySue wrote:had a very interesting outdoor session with Jo from the green wood working group

are you now a bodger‽

No
And neither is Jo really, she whittles and carves and runs the centre and the courses though there are people there who build and use pole lathes. The scoop in my flour bin comes from there

Lovely sunny day here, going to play backgammon then tonight the first event at the new Tower Theatre - a Chigao Blues night

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2018, 12:23 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I am trying to remember how we might have got hold of a particular secondhand book before all this mail order stuff started.

If you had a good local second hand book shop you would ask them to look for the book for you. I think that they had their own catalogues etc. We had a famous s/h book shop in Guildford, Traylens at the top of the High Street, it closed long ago.
About 20 years ago a friend was on a degree course, she had the usual book list and thought that she would try her local second hand book shop, they had the complete set, the same happened with her second and third year books. She tried to find the original owner as they were obviously doing the same course.

Because of marauding cats I am having to cool or defrost items in the office/spare room. I reckon that any cat that eats mayonnaise will like cheese cake. There are prawns defrosting for a prawn mayonnaise salad.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Yes Moira, you are right!

I think an old fashioned meat safe really is the answer for you to keep the cats off! I think they would relish both cheesecake and prawns!

I have cleaned all the windows (quite an event in this household) and now getting ready for hospital visiting. It is DIL's stepfather, we don't have many common interests.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2018, 1:39 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I think an old fashioned meat safe really is the answer for you to keep the cats off!

I will have a look at the back of the local builders merchants, there are all sorts of interesting things lurking there. It is the sort of place that you can but individual nails or screws.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 1:55 pm

A large sheet of perforated zinc ...cut holes in the sides and door of an old bedside cabinet or similar and replace with the zinc ... that's what you need Moira :D ........... and then fit a combination lock on the door :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 15th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I use a metal mesh dome to keep flies off, probably from Ikea.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I use a metal mesh dome to keep flies off, probably from Ikea.

We used to have one of those domes covered with nylon net (a bit like net curtain fabric) ... the cat ate its way through it :shock: :evil:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have some money off Wyevale vouchers but don't suppose they sell anything as useful as that (they don't seem to sell anything useful these days ).

I bought a nice white glazed (frost proof) bowl at Wyevale on Wednesday, also some white daff and tulip bulbs. I had £2.50 voucher to spend … then yesterday some more vouchers arrived in the post :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Result! I got a tool sharpener and bag for weeds at Wyevale and they took all the coupons I had so I only paid half price! I agree they're ok for some plants and decorative pots and fish and chips but everything else seems to have gone downhill in recent times.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 15th, 2018, 9:50 pm

We use a microwave to keep food cat proofed....

We came home to a foil container with cooked peppers in the mini oven........ It had a blue fluffy coat :oops: :oops: :oops: :o

Inspite of first day home, all washing and been done and dusted. Pink Fir Apples all dug (6kg), courgettes up rooted and my one and only runner bean supplied beans for another meal last night. That veg bed now dug over, for no doubt the cats!

Tomorrow is tomato sunday ! I have oodles of them to decant into sauces etc. Think I will make a cherry tomato tart too....it's fave in our house.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 16th, 2018, 6:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
Zosherooney wrote:We use a microwave to keep food cat proofed...
that is one of our alternative uses for the microwave too, :D

I must have a try one of various mail order garments, some may have to returned. One top is a strange shade of pink.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 16th, 2018, 7:45 am

Good morning wild ones. I have a cold, I put it down to the cattle market style operation waiting for the flu jab yesterday. So many people crammed into the waiting room some coughing and spluttering passing on germs :o :o so today I am doing nothing, it is a resty day :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2018, 8:09 am

Morning all! Commiserations icey. I thought colds took longer than that to incubate. Could it be a side effect of the jab?

I had a friend who popped a chicken carcass in the microwave to keep the cat away. Somehow she forgot about it and didn't open the microwave again until the smell had permeated the house and drain men had been called out.

Up bright and early so I could be dressed and ready to watch Andrew Marr and be decent if friend comes to collect stuff (she didn't come yesterday). I didn't know that AM was now on at 10am instead of 9 :evil: . Will eat into the morning a bit if I watch at that time. I'm off to stay with DD later. It's her birthday on Tuesday and a group of us are going to a Chinese restaurant tonight which has come highly recommended. I have read the Trip Advisor reports and am not so sure :?.

Hope the party goes well Suffs.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 16th, 2018, 8:38 am

earthmaiden wrote:I didn't know that AM was now on at 10am instead of 9

I think I saw that mentioned on Points of View on the Saturday programme … apparently something to do with football ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2018, 8:41 am

Good morning all folks :D :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug:

Fell asleep on the sofa last night and consequently couldn't get to sleep until the wee small hours :rolleyes: ... but we're loaded up and ready to go ...

have a lovely Sunday all :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 16th, 2018, 8:59 am

Good morning
Sort of grey and uninspired weather here at the moment - the hourly symbols on the weather chart say sun, the text says cloud, text wins

The Chicago Blues that was the first event at the new neighbourhood theatre last night turned out to be a platform performance of Blues Brothers, all the songs (plus one or two I don’t remember being in the film) and s few bits of dialogue. Theatre seats are comfortable and the sight lines are good. The new foyer bar is also interesting, with wine on tap. Must find someone to go to Henry V with

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:apparently something to do with football ???

I find that if a TV programme has been moved it is usually something to do with football. Do not get me going on the subject, I can rant for hours.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 16th, 2018, 9:21 am

No Andrew Marr is apparently later now because 9am is too early for much of the audience
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2018, 9:46 am

That makes sense in a way Sue. I think that the football which preceeds it might be on for longer too. The programme which used to be on after AM (I forget the name) seems to have gone. I used to find that quite interesting and sometimes watched on catchup.

It seems that keen football fans are prepared to get up early on a Sunday morning to watch. I could write a book about the disappointing habits of men I have known and that was one of them :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 16th, 2018, 9:51 am

I have tried on the various mail order clothing items, one top was a particularly mimsy shade of pink, it is going back.

One of my Pissouri friends has had to replace her dishwasher, when she called Panicos, the dishwasher technician he diagnosed the problem, a mouse had eaten the mother board :o

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 16th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I seem to have completely lost out on time since we went off to the birthday party yeaterday.
Personally I would like to draw a veil over the lunch. This is a restaurant which has fairly recently been taken over by a couplefrom a nearby town because their exsisting, rented, buiding fell down around their ears. Beautifully situated but quite a remote spot. Known to two of the couples and to us but from the previous owners.

The access is not good for wheelchair users because there are 3 levels of decking , each with one or two steps up and no ramps. The men therefore had to carry the chair up to the table which was thoughtlessly situated on the top layer. The menu was not expensive and a good point was the three starters could all be sampled together as one dish if required, The others all ordered either "Le Beef Wellington" or a duck breast/ i settled for the fish - supposedly halibut. It came on a bed of crushed l potatoes and mixed "seasonal" vegetables and looked quite nice. However it smelt accrid.I was the lst to be served and by the time \i bit into it it was a) cold but b) strangely carbonised. When I turned over the fillet it , and the underlying vegetables were carbonised and the fidh had obviously had the burnt bits scraped off. totally inedible.
The one waitress had , by that time mysteriously disappeared. I left it as it was , balckeened, even with the falkes of carbon thereon.

Beacause it was a party I didn't want to make a huge fuss so waited for someone to come and ask why I wasn't eating - no one came. Eventually she came to clear the table and when I pointed out the problem she asked if I would like it reheated because it had obviously got cold :evil: :evil: I expressed at my displeasure but she completely ignored me and just took the plate away. Only Mr R realised what was going on but was too far away to do anything.
Fortunately the cake we brought was lovely, very light and pretty and the birthday girl loved it.

I was furious but wasn't going to spoil the jolly party, which Amanda enjoyed hugely. When we got home I rang to enforce my complaint, but all I got was a verbal garlic shrug and was told i should have said something sooner!!! This is one restaurant we shall not be revisiting any time
soon. How anyone calling themselves a chef could send out a dish like that I completely fail to see.

So today I made ammends to myself and cooked a small shoulder of Sisteron lamb with loads of fresh herds and whole garlic cloves andbaby potatoes cooked around it and peas and fresh beets.

It has been really quite humid and biting insecty for nearly 48 hours. It was 29C at lunch time.

I hope everyone is having a good Sunday.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 17th, 2018, 12:21 am

I have missed near enough a whole day with my WF buds!

Have been spending time at Princess Alexandra hospital Harlow all day with family at my cousin's bedside after he started showing the same symptoms as his sister who died in Spain just recently. It looks like our NHS are taking things very seriously now they are back in the UK. I have never seen such a strong little boy in all my life. Pah! Life hands out some bad deals sometimes. :cry: But it is looking like they caught him in time.

I'll catch up with you all later. In the meantime :hug: to absolutely every one of you and yours.
xx
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » September 17th, 2018, 1:28 am

wow, that's scary, tezza, i really hope everything goes ok for him - and the rest of the family.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 17th, 2018, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I hope that your young relative continues to improve, Tezza, very stressful for everyone.
Rats, I read your account of your meal, the rest of the world is given the impression that meals like that never happen in France.

cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop