Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby icelesley » October 1st, 2018, 7:02 am

Good morning wild ones. :hug: :hug: for those who need one. Sue some of the Amazon delivery drivers are unbelievable. I had one who signed for my parcel himself despite me being in. I just noticed a delivery v a n outside, opened the front door he was about to leave the parcel. I said do I Need to sign for it? No he said I have done it :o Amazon didn't want to know, so annoying :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 1st, 2018, 7:35 am

We had a DPD delivery last week. Mrs B was sent a text to say it would be arriving between 15.21 and 16.21. She was going to be out all afternoon, so I made sure I was back from the plot early. No sign of anyone by the time she got back, but at least I could then have a shower and get ready as we were going out in the evening. The tracking link said we were delivery number 50-something and they got to the previous one, a few hundred yards away, at 18.50. We were due to leave at ten past seven, so we got the car ready and waited. Still nothing by half past, we went off. Later in the evening, the tracking link said the parcel had been delivered at 19.52, and signed for by us.

I closely questioned the badger upon our return, but he strongly denies signing for it.

If you are going to get a relatively precise delivery slot, it's very handy to work around it, but it would be helpful if it were accurate. Moreover, it must have been clear sometime before the slot that they would miss it by a big margin, which would also be useful to know. Lastly, we were pleased that the item was delivered (Mrs B needed it for two days later) but would have been a bit miffed if it hadn't been there when we got home and DPD used a forged signature as a defence.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 7:41 am

Thanks EM, we are heading that way shortly.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 1st, 2018, 8:26 am

You'll be fine, the sun's out now!

This early morning lark's quite good. I had dropped the car off, had a Cook's tour of the town on the bus, been shopping and walked home all by 9am. I cleaned up the house last night so am taking a break for a :mug: and continuation of the weekend crossword.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 1st, 2018, 8:44 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lovely morning and bed has been changed, matresses turned and bed clothes washed and hanging out to dry. The whole thing was done with a left hand which looks like a bunch of thick pork sauasages and is very stiff but, strangely, doesn't hurt.

I fear very few delivery drivers are reliable but one can hardly blame some because they are given an impossible work load and many seem to be scarcely about to read and/or speak the languge of the country in which they are delivering. This seems to be especially difficult in rural areas. Since we got a real address we thought it would ake things easier but we have discovered that most of them can't count either!!

Hope everyone has a good week
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 1st, 2018, 9:09 am

Good morning everyone,
My word you are an industrious lot :D , I've managed a shower and breakfast so far ;) .
My younger son comes home today for a few days. He's going to help me swap my living and dining rooms around so I'm likely to be awol for a few days hope everyone has a good week.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 10:04 am

What-ho chaps!
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 10:46 am

Hello again :wave: I'm back from having my free N 'flu jab at the Boots pharmacy in W'rose down the road ... all very efficient and proficient ... nice young pharmacist said that I should remain in the pharmacy for a short while to ensure that I didn't feel dizzy etc ... I had some shopping to do so we agreed that should I faint in the W'rose aisles he'd probably hear about it and be summoned, so I was allowed to get on with my shopping :tu: and in a couple of weeks I will (or should) be immune to three different types of 'flu :tu: Boots will inform my GP that I've had my jab so that will cut the workload/queue at the surgery ... all very organised :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2018, 10:52 am

Good morning
Well, I’ve had two deliveries this morning, around the same time as Saturday’s Heard the bell both times, entryphone in full working order

Will continue to follow up

Eye treatment later so pottering around

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 10:54 am

Glad to hear you didn't faint in the aisles, Suffolk.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 11:02 am

cheshire-cheese wrote:Glad to hear you didn't faint in the aisles, Suffolk.

:D

Nearly did when I got home tho' ... for some reason OH was so pleased to see me that he gave me a tight squeeze ... pressing tightly on my left upper arm :shock: :rolleyes: .... when I squeaked he was a little puzzled ... and then light dawned :lol: :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 11:13 am

Ouch
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 11:16 am

He put all the shopping away for me tho' ... and made me a :mug: :D :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

Every cloud...
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

.... that reminds me, still no word about flu jabs at work this year :( .

Car fetched, awaiting GD. She is having lunch out first so I needn't have gone shopping this morning :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 11:21 am

I'm not on lunch for another 40 minutes and someone's come in with hot chips :drool: :evil:
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 11:27 am

cheshire-cheese wrote:I'm not on lunch for another 40 minutes and someone's come in with hot chips :drool: :evil:

That's not fair :shock:

We're having chips with our supper ... those gourmet oven chips cooked in beef dripping ... with bacon, chipolatas, pigs kidney, big mushrooms, fried eggs and a choice of baked beans or sweetcorn ........... a guilty pleasure :oops: :hungry: :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 11:34 am

suffolk wrote:
We're having chips with our supper ... those gourmet oven chips cooked in beef dripping ... with bacon, chipolatas, pigs kidney, big mushrooms, fried eggs and a choice of baked beans or sweetcorn ........... a guilty pleasure :oops: :hungry: :drool:

Well thanks for that. My butties just aren't going to cut it this lunchtime. Work today is flanked by purveyors of pasties and fried food.
I will be strong. I WILL be strong.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 11:42 am

Quick question: what year is it?
I've just been asked for a soap-on-a-rope
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 11:45 am

cheshire-cheese wrote:Quick question: what year is it?

That's what my then teenaged DS used to get from his paternal grandmother for his birthday/Christmas presents ... he's in his 40s now :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 11:47 am

suffolk wrote:

That's what my then teenaged DS used to get from his paternal grandmother for his birthday/Christmas presents ... he's in his 40s now :lol:

Mind you, I've just remembered the parent of a learning disabled young man recommending soap on a rope as a way of making her son more independent in the shower :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cheshire-cheese » October 1st, 2018, 12:04 pm

Hadn't thought of that, Suffolk. We were just thinking of environments where one wouldn't want to bend down for soap.
cheshire-cheese
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 12:16 pm

:rolleyes: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 1st, 2018, 1:31 pm

I mentioed the other day that we bought a signal booster to allow us to connect with wifi all over the house. It was very cheap from Lidl. Happy to report that it works a treat - after a bit of fiddly setting up. However it doesn't work throughout the 3 floors of our mad house so today Mr R went and bought another and now we can get a signal in everyroom :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: The two gizmos cost about half of one from Orange.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 2:35 pm

I bought one of those Rats for the Hobbit House, signal out there is great now.

Other things came up, will go another day EM...... Mr. Z. will be paid for 4 hours for his wasted journey and fuel last Friday. Building inspector coming tomorrow to OK the finished hobbit house. Builders wife coming Thursday for payment and hand over of tricity certificate and the haggle over what part of the contract was broken and how much it is going to cost them. I had hoped to have Mr. Z on hand but he has said he will work and they want their dosh so it falls to me to do the deal. Unless his day of work does not materialise.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2018, 2:39 pm

Zosh ... could a friend pop around for coffee ... always good to have a witness just in case people's memories of events differ?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 8:47 pm

I have planned to have a 'virtual Mr. Z upstairs' listening to radio 4 and I was going to have my phone on record for the event. I don't really want locals knowing how much we spent on the HH which is bound to be mentioned.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 2nd, 2018, 5:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I must go down to the local supermarket and restock, the fridge is looking empty :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 2nd, 2018, 6:53 am

I have a bag of ckx. breasts to deal with, too many for one use, need to peal some off as they defrost and sling the rest back in the freezer. I think a curry, a pie of some sort and some sort of mix for wraps/tortillas.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 2nd, 2018, 7:22 am

Morning all.

Looks like rain today. CAB informal discussion this afternoon for volunteering. I am hoping I don't have to turn up looking like a drowned rat! Decorating final wall after that.

Have a great day!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 2nd, 2018, 7:32 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining here and a tad cold. I am finally getting over mm y cold Tehran's goodness. Even the hacking cough/ is subsiding. :bounce: :bounce: washing day today, bedding and towels especially. I like to dry them in the dryer so the rain doesn't matter.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2018, 7:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Ive only just woken up :shock: :D
Caffeine is being taken on board ...
Dry here with a hazy blue and white sky.
I have a huge amount of ripe cherry tomatoes and some chillis ...somewhere I have a recipe for a cherry tomato and chilli ketchup... if I can’t find it I’ll have to use Mr Google ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 2nd, 2018, 7:38 am

the french soap people who make the soap hook, rotating soaps, also supply them on rope for hanging by the kitchen sink, for gardeners to hang by the outside tap/utility room etc (as well as for people to use in the shower).
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 2nd, 2018, 8:03 am

cheshire-cheese wrote:Hadn't thought of that, Suffolk. We were just thinking of environments where one wouldn't want to bend down for soap.

Once I finished my last bottle of shower gel, I bought and now use solid soap bars (to reduce plastic use)… but had forgotten how slippery they are … I have lost count the number of times it has slipped through my fingers .. ( The ABBA song comes to mind ! :tu: ) and did wonder if you can still get soap-on-a-rope ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 2nd, 2018, 8:12 am

icelesley wrote: I am finally getting over mm y cold Tehran's goodness
Sorry Icey, a bit confused here, were you using predictive text?

Back from buying exciting items like detergent and onions, now it is just the ironing.

Hari, Effie's youngest has been in. He is going to the Merchant Navy Training School In Crete. He needed a CV in good English to send to prospective employers, Hari does speak and write good English but it means that the CV is properly presented. His grandmother is insisting on going to Crete so that she may see where he will be studying.
Deb reckons that his exam grades are good enough to get to university but he would rather go to sea, which is odd because his family are farmers.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning everyone :wave:
It was quite chilly last night. In fact Mr R put on a pj top :scared:

Lovely this morning though . Jules has started a new hobby - un-wallpapering!! We only have one room with wallpaper, the bedroom on the first floor, and he has decided it needs changing so found a corner and has started stripping it wheneve he can get in there which is quite easy because the door can easily be pushed open.

It is cuz's birthday today and I sent her a gift from Amazon market place - ordered nearly two weeks ago and it hasn't arrived, although my account says it has! Off we go again.

Hope the CAB meeting proves positive for you Tezza.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 2nd, 2018, 9:02 am

Morning all! Predictive text really can be unpredictable sometimes!

I did not think it was advisable to put defrosted things back in the freezer uncooked (or at least admit to it in public ;). ).

Glad to see everyone else is in good form. I wonder why Jules has suddenly decided to do that - a new hobby!

I have caught up with sleep at last and intend having a lazy day. I was going to catch up with Joanna Lumley and Michael Palin before bed last night but dozed off during the first 10 minutes so went to bed. GD must have worn me out. We did a lot of running in the park.

Sunny here, hope you don't get wet Tezza. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2018, 10:21 am

Good morning
I mentioned on an other thread that I was going to try a facial cleansing bar, to save plastic (and money) Got both the Averno and the SebaMed for dry sensitive skin. Much prefer the Aveeno, feels gentler and smells nicer. However what I also got was a little stainless steel wire soap rack to stand it on. - mine came from Muji. The bar dries so quickly it never forms that layer of sludge on the back and you don’t get any mess underneath

Had a bit of a bad day yesterday. The skin round my eyes chose to develop contact dermatitis in response to Nivea eye cream, not good on any day but totally rubbish on an eye treatment day. The treatment went well, but I have to go back on Wednesday to see the glaucoma Prof; not that I have glaucoma but I do have unstable eye pressure which he will investigate and prescribe.

On the plus side slept nearly 12 hours which seems to have done all niggles good

Any recommendations for a good hypoallergenic eye cream?

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 2nd, 2018, 11:56 am

earthmaiden wrote:I did not think it was advisable to put defrosted things back in the freezer uncooked (or at least admit to it in public ;). ).

Guilty! :lol: (though not often and only where I'm pretty certain it'll be OK...)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Funny you should say that Sue. Mr R , who also has vert sensitive skin, always used Nivea face wash, until they changed the formula that is . It took us ages to get the changes they had made out of them but they demanded a full dermatologist report before they would do anything. They refused to admit to any other complaints.

I would be very wary of refrezzing chicken in particular. If I freeze anything that i always do it in one or 2 sized portions.

Sue i don't know how you can be so sanguine about you eye treatment. Chapeau as they say in these parts :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2018, 12:47 pm

To be honest I’m more sanguine in writing than in real life where I have the occasional meltdown
And I have had over 30 years to get used to it - which has its pros and cons

OH used Nivea Sensitive for Men, which didn’t aggravate his ichthyosis, but for some reason they only do a very limited range of Sensitive facial products

It’s odd that with all the fuss about food allergies hypoallergenic face care has almost disappeared from the High StreetI used to buy Almay, but they no longer sell in the UK and Vichy are barely present.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

StokeySue wrote:Any recommendations for a good hypoallergenic eye cream?

Don't use it myself, but a friend recommends the Clinique range very highly .......... they also do men's skincare and it's all supposed to be fine for sensitive skin. You can have a consultation to try before you buy just in case.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 2nd, 2018, 2:05 pm

I can get Vichy quite easily in Boots.
Must admit I haven't looked for eye cream but they seem to do quite a good range of products round here.
Maybe it's a regional thing?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 2nd, 2018, 3:57 pm

The ranges you get in places like Whole Foods or Holland and Barrett are usually trouble free. Dr Hauschka, Benecos etc. I once bought some Origins eye cream in Selfridges which was very expensive but very nice. Our large branch of Boots has a good range but the little one round the corner doesn't. It really depends how much you are prepared to spend. I will only spend so much on 'beauty' products even though the dear ones are usually quite luxurious to use in comparison to the lesser ones. I'm not sure that in the long run they make such a huge difference to one's appearance.

I have spent all day catching up with reading the weekend newspaper, doing the crossword, some other reading and the minimal amount of housework to be decent. It's been lovely! I shall be a total slob and catch up with some TV later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2018, 4:23 pm

Our local Boots is pants - they don’t seem to have woken up to it no longer being an area of sink estates (changed 30 years ago). It’s grubby, inexcusable in a pharmacy. I have been to the bigger Boots in the West End and (the best) the huge one in Liverpool Street station. I’ll have a look, but last time I checked they only seemed to have half the range of Vichy they used to carry.

I’m a little wary of some of the organic / whole food brands. They put in so many exotic plants that are completely useless, can’t really do anything except encourage sensitivity. One thing I really need to avoid is witch hazel for example, a common rosacea trigger
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 2nd, 2018, 4:42 pm

Superdrug online do a good range of Vichy...and other anti allergy makes. I have found their mail order service good, and I don’t think they charged postage.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2018, 4:46 pm

Thanks Pat, I’ll look into that. If they do charge P&P click and collect might be a possibility
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 2nd, 2018, 6:06 pm

i only use water to clean my face (and homemade soap everywhere else) but if think about it i'll use coconut oil as a moisturiser (or a barrier to stop loss of moisture) and sometimes some of the thick layer in a tin of coconut milk - it also has an exfoliating action for me.
( i remove mascara with 'simple' eye makeup remover.)
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

I can just imagine what would happen to me if I used cocnut oil Scully!
I use Clarins sensitive / dry skin face wash. and have done for years. However it does come in a plastic tube :terrified: :terrified: :terrified:
I don't wear eye makeup so don't have to remove it - my eyes just wouldn't stand it. Don't wear lipstick either - I don't want a trout pout through neglect .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2018, 7:26 pm

The idea of walking round in a miasma of coconut oil is :sprout:

I have always tended to use a separate eye cream, as I wore contact lenses for 40 years, it tends not to clog up the lenses like heavier creams, and the skin round the eyes could get a little sore from being wet too often.

I was using Liz Earle, but I don't like the smell of a lot of the products, and she's a complete hypocrite, which is the real reason I gave up, she used to go on TV and give a little tinkling laugh at the idea of anyone doing a separate throat moisturiser - so unnecessary. You also have to watch out for witch hazel which she doesn't seem to have realised should be a no-no in her kind of products

So what doe she sell now? Yup, Superskin throat and décolleté cream :twisted:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop