Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby cyprusmoira » October 5th, 2018, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I was checking through the freezer last night, I found some asparagus. There is debate whether we shall have Asparagus Pasta or Asparagus Tart.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 6:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
EM hope you and everyone else slept well.
We have to be up and about earlier today ... ‘they’ are coming to fit a smart meter this morning :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 6:26 am

Morning all!

Foggy again here this morning. I am off to the non job centre in a bit. It's days like this where I wish I had a flask to take coffee with me. I'm still half asleep! Looking forward to getting home and finishing off getting my crabby looking masking tape off this wall!

Have a lovely day!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 5th, 2018, 7:01 am

Good morning wild ones. Overcast here but not cold. Not a lot to do today, just housework 8-)
Last edited by icelesley on October 5th, 2018, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 5th, 2018, 7:06 am

Amber wrote:Going through town today, my daughter said, ‘Ooh, there’s Tommy Banks’. I’d never heard of him :shock: . I think I may be missing out...

(but her Christmas present may be sorted ;) :D )

so who is Tommy Banks ? :? :?: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 7:46 am

earthmaiden wrote:Muddled people prone to escaping from their bed in the middle of the night will try regardless and the fall would be worse if they attempted to climb over the bars first rather than falling straight onto the floor. He will be given a low bed and a soft mat :| .

Oh EM, that so reminds me of my MIL. Bless her, having been 100% both physically and mentally for well over 90 years it all went south during the last 6 months of her life following a series of mini- strokes and the onset of vascular dementia. When in hospital she was adamant she was going home and would keep climbing out of bed and falling over. They had to do exactly that for her (and the same when she was later moved to a nursing home). So sad.... :(
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 7:54 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Who indeed is Tommy banks?? :lol:

Yesterday evenig's news pushed us a bit nearer to going towards submitting our citizenship apllications. W hat with counting private school fees and university fees- :evil: paid by the students themselves :evil: in the amount "given to education". Then the horrific news about medical waste disposal along with the other rubbish, lies and half truths coming out of the mouths of politicians of all stripes. Rant over.

Mr R has gone into town to collect his new feet and pick up, after paying of course!, some wine at the Leclerc wine fair and some calves liver for supper tonight. It was so chaotic in the store yesterday we lost the will to live in there
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » October 5th, 2018, 8:05 am

Think Tommy Banks refers to a rather young and seemingly nice chef, (family cooking programme?)

Has a Michelin star in his Yorkshire restaurant.
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 8:17 am

Yes I Googled Tommy Banks and once I’d got past the late Canadian classical pianist I found Tommy Banks the Michelin starred chef :D

My hair cut looks good so better get on and do some laundry so my clothes look equally smart

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 5th, 2018, 8:40 am

Keep a look out for drowsy wasps peeps, I just picked up the computer power pack and there was a wasp staggering around underneath it. I could have been stung. They must be looking for places to nest over winter.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 9:55 am

I believe Tommy Banks was on The G reat British Menu last year. I can't remember if he got anywhere with it but have a feeling he did.

Up very early this morning as had to go over and look after GD then take her to nursery. By 9am I had watched several children's programmes, read several books, done a jigsaw and had a walk. It occured to me that all yesterday's and this morning's entertainment were due to people who have arrived in my life through DS. :|. Feel quite sleepy now and am wondering if an 11am nap is beyond the pale. I think it might set me up for research and writing I need to do today.

Thanks for the wasp warning icey - I am waiting for those webs with huge spiders to arrive in the garden. They seem a bit late.

As for politics . . :rolleyes:. The plumber is coming next week to sort out the boiler. He is someone I know well and used to work with. His political views leave little room for compassion for anything and I shall be interested to hear what he thinks of current issues.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 10:18 am

I have already cleared away a spider's winter quarters from the kitchen shelves earthmaiden
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 5th, 2018, 10:22 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

Well ... the Smart Meter person has 35 minutes left to arrive (it was between 8 - 12, not 1), I've checked the paperwork ... apparently I can expect a phone call or text ...................................................................... :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 5th, 2018, 10:31 am

I was up early again too EM 10 to 6..... He's working again today. I took the bin down the hill for emptying @ 6.30am only to find two dogs running around with no one with them. Managed to grab one of them by the collar. A close neighbours light was on and her daughter was there looking after her, seems she fell in town yesterday and was taken to Hospital but brought home late last night. Anyway her daughter (has huskies) so I knocked on her door and she kindly called the tel. no. on the collar...... 3 calls later the owner arrived and took the dog I had but dunno about the other one......

It's now 11.15 and I have only managed to walk to the village shop and pay and collect tickets for the Guernsey film on Sunday eve. The sun is trying to break through. Wuzzle will 'poach' in the GH...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 11:06 am

suffolk wrote:Well ... the Smart Meter person has 35 minutes left to arrive (it was between 8 - 12, not 1), I've checked the paperwork ... apparently I can expect a phone call or text ...................................................................... :?

Well, they've had their chance ............ we have things we have to do this afternoon ;) .... they'll have to rearrange.

OH is a nice chap ... he said 'I do hope they're not laying dead in a ditch somewhere' ... so do I, but I doubt it.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 11:45 am

You may remember my saying that I cancelled a smart meter appointment online some time before the appointment date. Some time after the date I had a letter aplogising for a missed appointment and £30 paid into my account. Looks like you may have £30 On the way!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Well what a surprise Suffs!
Mr R has returned with lots of wine and is walking upright for the first time in his life I guess. He says his whole skeleton feels better. Amazing how simple something like an insole can improve things and why on earth did no-one ever suggest it? Apart form his wife I mean ;)

How are things PP? Lovely to "see" you. :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 12:23 pm

earthmaiden wrote:You may remember my saying that I cancelled a smart meter appointment online some time before the appointment date. Some time after the date I had a letter aplogising for a missed appointment and £30 paid into my account. Looks like you may have £30 On the way!

I've telephoned them ('they' being the company sub-contracted by our power and gas supplier to fit the meter).

Apparently our appointment was cancelled by our supplier with no explanation ... 'they' are going to investigate and ring me back on Monday.

I am not best pleased ... I shall be insisting on £30 ............. I will also take my time when arranging a future date ... it may well be Jan or Feb :evil: or maybe later than that 'cos in the winter we'll want to be able to put the heating on and without power for the pump :rolleyes: ...... I may make them wait until June ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Oh dear. With what I have read about smart meters since I shall wait until it becomes compulsory.

Great news about Mr R's gait. The difference special insoles made to me was wonderful. How sad he has had to wait so long.

I have received a catalogue from Scotts of Stowe this morning. It is several years since their last communication :rolleyes:. Anyway, I am fascinated by a pair of pull-on jeans which claim to be 'one size fits all from sizes 10-18 - always conforms to your shape and height'. The picture shows them being worn by people of varying shape and fitting each quite snugly and buttons at the waistband. The secret appparently is 360 degree stretch denim technology. I really don't see how something that fits someone who is a size 10 and 5' tall can possibly fit someone 4 sizes larger and 6" taller as well.
Last edited by earthmaiden on October 5th, 2018, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Rats - glad Mr R is happy with his new feet! I did have to wonder what you meant earlier! :lol:

I've had reassurance this morning at the job centre that as long as I complete the form they have given me for volunteering and am honest, it won't affect my claim. I will take the form with me to my induction at CAB on Tuesday.

I've had a decent walk, lugged a load of heavy books back from the library and then set to work trying to get my beautiful birds voiles up. They are gorgeous! But with only one fully working arm and a fear of falling from a step ladder.....I got as far as attaching the voiles to the pole which will have to wait until my mum or sister can come over and help me get it up. They will look gorgeous when they are up, plus they will give me a tad more privacy than I currently have. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 1:19 pm

EM ... those stretch denim trousers may fit a wide range of sizes, but I'll guarantee that the slimmer the person the better they'll look in them :shock: :rolleyes:

Tezza ... good news about the volunteering :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 5th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Amazing what proper insoles can achieve, Rats. Down in Limassol Old Town there is a lady who makes handmade shoes, she has the most beautiful leathers. Her son trained as a podiatrist in the UK. This enables them to provide a great service, he does a proper assessment, she makes the orthotics.

We had a visitor join us at Mah Jong this morning, no problem, you just have to agree which hands your particular group play. As previously mentioned we play at a taverna, some people stay on for lunch. This lady thought that she would just have soup, she had bought her gluten free biscuits with her. We had to point out that cannot get soup at this time of year, it was 29C at lunch time, I think that she may have had salad.

Our friend Marylin runs a craft group. Sometimes the Hospice shop gets donations of craft items, they contact her and she sells the items on to her contacts, making the shop more money. This time she had a lot of card making materials, among papers was some wrapping paper. One of the sheets of paper was printed with Brussel Sprouts :!:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Good news indeed Tezza. I hope it is the start of something much more positive.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Has anybody in the UK noticed a huge amount of ladybirds flying around today?

I've just had to close my windows which were covered in them on the outside and starting to make their way in. I cannot recall ever seeing this many at once! I was only six when this news reports back to.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/wi ... ague-1976/
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Oat » October 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm

We stayed in our caravan last week in Scotland and found eight ladybirds that we probably picked up from Thetford two weeks earlier. Hope they are enjoying thier new location :shock:
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm

:lol: The Gardeners' World forum has had reports of ladybirds flocking to find suitable hibernation locations over the past week or so.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 3:27 pm

They're swarming here too- I've already evicted at least 20 of them. All windows shut currently. I don't mind the dear little things but Mr S is phobic about them. It's his worst nightmare...

Tezza, that's good news :) :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 6th, 2018, 5:52 am

My lovely neighbour brought me over a bucket of crocosmia and was hopping around as she thought one had gone down the back of her shirt ! We seem to have a swarm of what look like fruit flies outside the bedroom windows. They have been there for a few weeks. Same thing happened last year.

Mr. Z arrived home yesterday around 6.30 with a huge bag of beautifully fresh mixed bread. Sorry Suff, but they are still wasting huge amounts of food that is criminal in my eyes. Still, we were nearly out of bread so I was glad he brought it and it will not be wasted.....

Glad to hear that Mr. R. is walking tall and not in any pain. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

Nice to see you again PP :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 6:09 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Woke this morning with a runny nose an slightly sore eyes ... turns out the downstairs loo door was open all night and there’s a reed diffuser in there which is a bit strong. Think it has to go in the bin ...
Last edited by suffolk on October 6th, 2018, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 6th, 2018, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit cloudy here but no rain.
I have had several discussions recently about birthday celebrations. A number of people are going out for breakfast, not just any breakfast but one at a 5* star hotel, they not only offer a large variety of food but include champagne. Most people seem to finish at about 3 00pm.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 6:28 am

What is this obsession with breakfast these days ? I’ve lost count of the number of chefs on GBM who think that a breakfast is an appropriate start to a four course banquet. :? To my mind a first course should stimulate the appetite whereas a breakfast should sate it. No matter how they ‘elevate’ it, I’m sure it wouldn’t work for me.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 6th, 2018, 6:58 am

Morning all!

Well, that bread won't be going to waste at least Zosh!

I love going out to breakfast. Not something I had really done before going to the USA but it is nice to meet up with people who you want to spend much of a day with mid to late morning, have what really is brunch and part company without wasting all of the day. Not many people have a lavish breakfast these days so it's a treat and you don't have to cook it. As for the banquet starters, I can see it working in some cases - it is quite far removed from a greasy spoon fry up after all! I do object to champagne with breakfast and with afternoon tea though. Quite out of place.

I'm off to a conference in Salisbury today and haven't even got dressed yet so had better get my skates on. I haven't decided what to wear, I have a wardrobe full of clothes but nothing to wear :rolleyes: .

I haven't seen a ladybird for ages.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 6th, 2018, 7:04 am

Good morning wild o. It's raining. The beasts are snuggled up on the sofa refusing to go out :rolleyes: I might pop over to the garden centre later see what bargains there are to be had. ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 7:15 am

Don’t get me wrong ... im all for a lavish breakfast :hungry: ... but not a pale imitation as a first course when there are so many other good combinations that will stimulate the palate :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 6th, 2018, 8:00 am

I used to make a big deal of breakfast, would try to get as many species on the plate as I could, or a giant's breakfast of unusually sized ingredients. I still like a full English as a treat, but it's a comparatively rare one these days.

I wonder whether the cheffie obsession started with Heston's bacon & egg ice cream? I'm not sure a pretend fry-up is special enough for a banquet. Lots of showing off, but it will still taste of breakfast ingredients.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 6th, 2018, 8:33 am

I like a full Monty but I have to be ravenous to appreciate it. Todays brekkie was 3 ginger biscuits and a bit of bread roll (yes EM from the Waitrose haul) with cashew butter for me and yoghurt and bramble jelly for him.

Full brekkie for me is a bit like a mezze, textures, flavours and colours - delightful. Our local pub does a women brekkie on a certain Wednesday, I have declined so far, I'm afraid it might become too much of a habit ! !

I shall be making crostini today from the french sticks chucked yesterday, I have no space for bread in the DF so dried it will have to be. They come in handy for impromptu amuse bouche/starters.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 6th, 2018, 8:45 am

Just re-visiting the subject of ladybirds … I was going to comment that what you are seeing are probably harlequin ladybirds starting to spend the winter hibernating, but according to 'One who knows' (aka my daughter) … our native ladybirds hibernate too. (So, what do I know :( :? :oops: ) And to identify a harlequin, they have brown legs and markings on their heads that look like a white, capital 'M' …...Now you all know ;) :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 6th, 2018, 9:06 am

Amber wrote:Going through town today, my daughter said, ‘Ooh, there’s Tommy Banks’. I’d never heard of him :shock: . I think I may be missing out...

Blimey first you have never heard of someone, then they're all over the place … on Saturday Kitchen this morning ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 6th, 2018, 9:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I love a proper breakfast - if someone else has cooked/prepared it and it is not too early so roll on Wednesday morning when we will be at maison Pic for my birthday present treat. Won't be the full monty though, this being France.

We had some fabulous brunches in America but the best of all was at Lyford Cay in the Bahamas where an old student took us as a thank you treat. we had cocktails and there was an amazing buffet of Bahamian and American dishes. i don't ever object to champagne EM whatever time of day.

Talking of nothing to wear. I have spent a couple of hours this morning sorting out my wardrobes and have chucked out a mass of stuff which has already gone into the charity skip. Does any woman need 14 pairs of black trousers ? So now the rest are back colour co-ordinated and autumn/ winter things most accessible. what's more I have found one of three dreeses which I own to wear on Wednesday evening that is long enough not to have to wear hosery - which unless they are wooly socks I hate!

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 6th, 2018, 9:15 am

Morning all,

Interesting fact about the ladybirds Pat. I haven't seen any this morning. A single ladybird is such a beautiful thing, but loads of them crawling around freaks me out a bit!

Very dreary here with a misty rain falling. I've trudged in it to my GP surgery for my flu jab. There was someone walking around the waiting room asking everyone to take their coats off because 'You only get two minutes!' Well, not likely, I only had a vest top underneath and can easily pop my arm out walking to the nurse's room. I was left waiting twenty minutes to be called, so was asked three times to take my coat of because 'The NHS are trying to cut costs!' I felt like I was at some kind of cattle market. I was then left in the nurse's room for another ten minutes to have the same debate that I had on the phone when I booked it about whether I should be having it or not! :rolleyes: So my two minutes turned into thirty.....

My mum should be popping over to help me get my new curtains up, we'll probably go for a coffee somewhere afterwards, and then who knows!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 9:45 am

Smelly reed diffuser is in the bin ... it's been replaced with a non-smelly Neutradol thingummy ... we try not to use aerosols but you need something in there as the ventilation isn't great ... well, non-existent since the last owner built the extension ... one of these days when we're having stuff done we'll probably have an electric extractor fan put in there ... the other side of the wall is the garage so that should be ok. I'm surprised that it affected me and not OH who is prone to irritations and asthma type things tho :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 9:46 am

Good morning
The big thing round here is brunch. Usually anything you’d expect with avocado inserted somewhere (really hate runny egg yolk with avocado, weirdly over-rich).
I stayed in Bristol last October and didn’t book the hotel breakfast as I was in the area between the cathedral and the harbour, full of little coffee shops and cafes, thought it would be nice to have breakfast out. None of them opened before 10 am and my event started at 10.30 sharp. Booked it this year

I quite like a full breakfast in place of a supper, but no, not as a starter

Must get moving. Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 10:56 am

Leek and potato soup has been made, and chopped onions have been browned, celery softened and slices of carrots have caramelised edges, shin of beef has been cubed, tossed in seasoned flour and seared, a splosh of wine and stock and some juniper berries have been added and I'll pop it all in a slow oven about 2 oclock. I've prepped some local green beans and have decided we'll have parsley dumplings rather than mashed potatoes ... it's that sort of weather today and it cuts down on the washing up ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 6th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I noticed Kokkina mushrooms in the local supermarket this morning, the name means red but they are actually brown. They are always foraged, you need to brush off the pine needles and are a harbinger of autumn. I use them in casseroles but it is a shredded salad for supper today as it is still warm

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 6th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Are they what we call lactares Moira? Milk caps in English. We have two sorts red ones which are sanguines (bloody) when cut and yellow ones (saffron) when cut. They grow in pine forests and are a special favourite in Provence, I was given a basket full last weekend. I just grill/bbq them with garlic and olive oil.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 1:03 pm

:shock: While I was doing all that cooking in the kitchen (at the back of the house) the postie must've been trying to get my attention at the front ... I just went through to the hallway and found a card saying he had left a parcel by the back door ... the lovely wool I'd ordered for OH's next jumper has arrived (I ordered it on Thursday afternoon)

It's a gorgeous green 'Lotus Leaf' and is going to look fab 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 6th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Are they what we call lactares Moira?
I have been Googling, it looks like a close relative. They are reddish brown in colour. I must try them with olive oil and garlic. Not to be confused with Kokkinelli, the local rough red wine, the downfall of many tourists

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Well, that was a nice day. It was a conference put on by a group from the women's social organisation I belong to. The subject was (loosely) the future of the NHS. One of the speakers was Ann Widdicombe who was very entertaining. I don't think we were any further forward with the NHS by the end of the day though :rolleyes: . We ended by listening to a young girl sing. She had the voice of a lark. Why, oh why do people always find it necessary to hum along with something being sung exquisitely? The same thing happened when I was listening to Lesley Garrett singing something beautiful at the Albert Hall. Lunch was a nice buffet but I didn't think it worked to have to queue a second time for pudding. I had coffee and a couple of nice biscuits from a different serving point instead.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » October 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the link PP. Apparently he has the worlds best restaurant (according to Tripadvisor) :o , beating Le Manoir.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/ ... -2nd-site/

Tonight we’re at the opposite end of the scale...Tesco ready made lasagne.
(It was delicious :D ;) )
Amber
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop