Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby cyprusmoira » October 7th, 2018, 5:55 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, EM, I know what you mean about humming along to a singer, I think that perhaps people unconsciously want to join in.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 7th, 2018, 7:04 am

Good morning wild ones. We have our first frost, the grass is all white. But I just read my storm (Leslie) ;) is bringing sunshine next week, I must be in a good mood :lol: I bought a couple of plants yesterday, thankfully I put them in the greenhouse so they should survive the frost :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2018, 7:41 am

Morning all! :wave:

cyprusmoira wrote: I think that perhaps people unconsciously want to join in. Moira

I'm sure they do, but wish they wouldn't all the same ;) .

Very nice day dawning, I'm off to another thing today - called a convention, not a conference and far removed from yesterday but it will still involve listening to a lot of speakers .. and we have bowls of lovely home made vegetable soup and hunks of bread for lunch. It is a day we look forward to each year.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2018, 9:55 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

OH has gone to work ... I have a day of sewing planned ... and pork chops with braised fennel and gnocchi to prep for supper ... the new sauté pan will be christened :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 7th, 2018, 11:11 am

Afternoon all,

After a mammoth chat on the phone (5 hours!!!) with a friend about this, that, the other but mainly job searching, I only woke up half an hour ago! Half the day gone!

Off to town now with my shopping trolley, see what goodies I can find. I think I will end up in Farm Foods. I need frozen veg. My veg freezer drawer is looking a bit sorry for itself. There's only a handful of peas in there. That will never do! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 7th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Life got in the way of posting this week but I think I've caught up. Sue :hug: :hug: re the unexpected surgery and :tu: :) tezza re the volunteering.
My "changing rooms" transformation of swapping my living room & dining room with each other is finished and I just love the end results.I just need to get a woodburner sorted out and my living room will have the "hygge" vibe I'm aiming for. Not an easy job as it involved moving a large welsh dresser through a couple of tight turns and recabling my internet/tv. My son did a fab job and I took him for lunch on Friday to say thank you. He headed back to Newcastle this morning.
After a couple of days of nice weather it's back to cold, wind & rain today. Thankfully I managed to get the remaining spring bulbs planted up yesterday :D . My garden is more or less sorted out for the winter apart from the remaining (still flowering) bedding plants and a bit of greenhouse clearing.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 7th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave: ly

Just emerged from a morning of trying to fix the Bl***y lock.Our lovely neighbour has sweated blood over it because it has been there for 30 years and, being on a metal door has become so distorted over the years of extremes of temperature it is hard.

We now have a fixture which means we can go away with a door that is adequately locked for insurance purposes.

I cooked lunch just for the two of us and we really enjoyed it but we are still wavering about applying for French citizanship. coming closer and closerWe are really cofused ans just hate wht is going on but it is coming closer and closer and to be truthful it is tearing us apart - not as a couple but as Brits.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Good evening all!

Bbbbbrrrrrr! Chilly willy here! I had a walk while the sun was out. Picked up a pretty little pink watering can with a spray nozzle attachment, then returned and set to work blasting the fungus gnats on my chilli plant with soapy water. I'll do that each day until I can pick up some compost and gravel to repot it.

This afternoon felt a bit empty for some reason :?: so I stood next to my biggest casserole on the hob and stirred up a big old risotto whilst listening to The Charlatans. :grin: I put in onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, sweetheart cabbage and chilli. I had no Parmesan so I stirred through half a tub of low fat garlic and herb cream cheese at the end. Wow!

Looking forward to the penultimate episode of The Circle with a bowl of toffee popcorn. :chops:

Then tomorrow is another day. :grin:
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on October 7th, 2018, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 7th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Toffee popcorn - yummmmmmmmmm :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:

Plant-pot time for this Hopper now - it's M****y tomorrow! :o

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 7th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Goodnight Grassy
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Goodnight all ... sweet dreams Zzzzzzzzzz
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 8th, 2018, 5:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit cloudy here but it is that time of year.
The attempt to empty the freezer is not working, it does not seem to be getting emptier.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2018, 6:04 am

A beautiful rosy dawn this morning :D

Yesterday I sewed in the sleeves of my jacket and then started knitting OHs new jumper ... I shall finish sewing up the jacket today as it will need to be pinned put on the dining table.

The new sauté pan passed withflying colours. It is large but that’s in the nature of sauté pans of course, so that the foot can crisp rather than steam. However, I may pass on one of my large woks to DD to make a bit of cupboard space!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 8th, 2018, 6:49 am

Morning all.

Warburtons delivering at Co-op just woke me up. That's okay though, because it made me get up, venture into my kitchen and witness two pigeons having a little lovey on a shed roof in a puddle. What a beautiful combination alarm clock that was.

Hoping Dolly cat's eye is still on the mend. :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 8th, 2018, 7:07 am

Good morning wild ones. I have a washing mountain to tackle today :( I think next door must have put theirs in too there is that much :lol: :lol: its very overcast and looks like rain, so the tumble drier will be on the go. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2018, 8:19 am

Morning all! Have had a good night's sleep and little lie in at last. Lovely.

Looks a nice day out there. I've got housework and laundry to tackle this morning and field trip planning and shopping to do later - or tomorrow. I tried an Aldi Spinach, Feta and Pine Nut pie last night and it was absolutely delicious. I don't like Aldi much but may be tempted to go again to stock up on calories.

Yesterday's convention was good but possibly one too many heavy talk. I always find that that particular hall has a rather soporific effect on me :oops:.

Apparently four women who arrived in navy and pink Berghaus rain jackets on Saturday went home with the wrong one. Is this the new equivalent of the Breton top?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 8th, 2018, 8:37 am

I'll be trying that pie EM. :tu:

Collecting a bookcase from FC this morning then cooking my mum lunch as a thank you for chauffeuring. An unexpected twist to the day. :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It has chucked it down all night but at least we have proved that the damaged gutter was properly fixed and we have a dry house :tu:

It is a good job I did the washing I needed on Saturday. As long as we don't have a power cut I'll iron it later. I am now having a bit of a rethink about the clothes I need to take away tomorrow. Mostly footwear which I always find difficult.

Em your experience with the jackets shows that being on trend doesn't always pay. unless I guess, they all came from the same factory oulet - I used to love the one in Swindon. :bounce:

Hope everyone has a good week.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 8th, 2018, 9:31 am

Good morning everyone,
The weather is still dire here which is a shame as I'm meeting friends for lunch. The restaurant overlooks the marina and bay, on a good day the views are amazing but I reckon all we will see is murk today.
I've been caught out with the same jacket thing. A few years ago I bought a waterproof jacket while on holiday in Argyll in a fairly out of the way shop. I liked it but it wasn't particularly on trend , it was navy with a moss green lining. I wore to travel to a meeting and lo and behold did a colleague not have the same one bought from the same shop....Thankfully we managed to keep the right ones when we left :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2018, 10:40 am

Apparently there were things like Tic Tacks and dog poo bags in the various pockets - which would be something of a giveaway you'd picked up the wrong coat I should have thought even if they were the same size!

I am not making very good progress with the housework ... I'd better stop yacking.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2018, 10:43 am

Hello :wave:
I have slept something between 9 and 10 hours and I feel almost human now, been rubbish ever since I saw Prof #2 on Wednesday, lots of little niggles and little sleep

Another :mug: and I should be there

A day of pottering on and little errands, bank, post office etc.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2018, 11:22 am

Here you are Sue :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2018, 11:28 am

Cheers!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 8th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm sitting here staring at a deconstructed bookcase willing it to build itself! Thinking that to build it I have to move quite a few boxes around to clear space and I've got to prepare for my CAB induction in for the morning. But they've just phoned and moved me to Thursday instead! So, no excuse, get on with it! I'm wondering whether to varnish or stain it before I build it though. It's a pine five shelfer. I could have done with three or four of them really! But this one is in excellent condition for a freebie! It's a start! :tu:

Looking forward to the start of GBM finals week. Oh, and The Circle final should be fun too! Nobody else here watching it? :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 8th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I did give The Circle a looksy but it is encouraging people to become too insular to me.

I am late today because of Dr's I will be having blood tests and an ECG in just over a weeks time but so far so good. Nothing bad on the horizon Suffs. We also carried on clearing the garage, I have magpie tendencies ! Building inspector has given the all OK for phase I and builder has been paid and we have all parted on happy terms. They are finishing with building because it was putting a lot of stress on their family so a bit glad we did not get into phase II with them. The "probable" builder is visiting with his business partner tomorrow evening, we have a few more questions we need answers for before appointing him. Just trying to work out if my washing machine could be temporarily be relocated in the en suite - will ask the builder....

Ding (curry) dinner tonight :chops:

The Guernsey film was good with a feel good factor and totally British :tu: :tu: :tu: Just wish I had not been so tired, struggled to stay awake for the last 20 mins...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 8th, 2018, 6:40 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Apparently there were things like Tic Tacks and dog poo bags in the various pockets - which would be something of a giveaway you'd picked up the wrong coat I should have thought even if they were the same size!

You would have thought so unless it was a case of same jacket/same lifestyle/interests :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Glad all seems good Zosh :D but also glad that you’re getting a thorough checking over :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 8th, 2018, 7:46 pm

100,000 mile service !!!! :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 8th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Just back from seeing Caro Emerald.
Relaxing with a hot choc before bed.

She was sensational as usual.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2018, 10:41 pm

I remember turning on the TV so my dad could see Caro Emeald, when she was first well known here. He liked. :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 9th, 2018, 5:03 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, very cloudy here but we are not expecting rain.
I hesitate to ask but who or what is Caro Emerald?
I shall be braving LIDL later, it is supposed to be Italian Week but most of the items seem to pasta, both fresh and dried.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2018, 6:48 am

Morning all! Wouldn't it be nice if we could wave a magic wand to deal with building extensions, bookcases and the like :).

I too have missed hearing about Caro Emerald, Moira. I miss a lot now that I don't listen to radio or read newspapers as much as I did once. I Googled, she sounds the sort of singer I might like.

I wonder if it's Italian week at Lidl here as well. They sometimes have little tubs if the most delicious ice cream in coffee and almond flavours. I am going to venture out to the new Iceland warehouse store later today or tomorrow. I have card from Slimming World offering 10% off for a limited period

Firstly it's the second coffee of the day. The plumber is due at 8am to service the boiler. I have known him a long time and feel sure there will be an enjoyable political debate, a catch up on gossip and an attempt to get me to have a new boiler. At least it's a nice day, once I've got rid of him I am going on a field trip recce out in the countryside.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 9th, 2018, 7:27 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit overcast and breezy with some drizzle, but it's not cold. Today I am going to have a wonder around the shops, start thinking (wisperingsmiley) Christmas :o :o :o it may be a quick look, I have a blister on my toe where new shoes have rubbed, hopefully a plaster and sandles will help :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

Morning everyone :wave:

No rain last night and it looks quite fine this morning. What it will be like further north I'm not sure but you don't need a heatwave to go wine buying! We're planning on stopping off at Beaume de Venise, Gigondar and Rasteau. Tomorrow we'll go over the river to hermitage, St Peray and St Joseph.

Just waiting for Mr R to finish his packing and have checked he has the correct coloured socks. He has a reputation for just grabbing any old pair.
Be good and I'll see you all on Thursday :wave:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

Morning Chatterboxers,

It's a book cull day for me. I hate those. There are three or four charity shops in town so they'll all get a share. I have to wheel them down in my trolley so it will be a gradual thing. At least the sun is out and there is not a single cloud up there. Still going to need a wooly on.

Have fun everyone!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2018, 8:01 am

I woke in the night having dreamt the phone was ringing!!! Thankfully I got back to sleep and woke a little while ago ... :mug: :mug: :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 9th, 2018, 8:03 am

Good morning
It’s bright and sunny here

Caro Emerald is a Dutch singer, slightly retro swing style (hence thinking my dad might like her proper singing) but also her own contemporary twist. She has a degree in jazz performance I believe.

The song Liquid Lunch seems strangely appropriate for Wildies ;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VZY6VPVH-PA

Sunny here, but need to finish the ironing and packing, and wait in for the lady from the council
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 9th, 2018, 8:27 am

Thanks for the info about Caro Emerald. I am listening to R3 via the net at present, local radio is terrible at this time. The announcer has just made a R3 type joke, the weather in southern England is very warm, more like summer than autumn so the leaf blowers can go back in their boxes. This will stop them from breeding which is probably a good thing..
Mentioning weather, the forecast has changed since first thing this morning, we now have the possibility of storms this afternoon, the thunder was muttering very quietly yesterday afternoon. Must check the torches and candles.

I have been to an excellent office, its name translates as Citizens Advice Centre, they are well known for being helpful, unlike most Cypriot civil servants. This is a new office in Kolossi, I went to collect the paperwork to renew my driving license. I need one essential item, my Permanent Residents Permit or as it is always known, my yellow slip. I cannot find it, I can get a duplicate but this means wrestling with the Immigration Department, always daunting.
All that was on the way to LIDL, the Italian week is not very impressive but I did buy a couple of jars of preserved artichoke hearts at half the price of the local supermarkets. Deb does not like salami so there was no point in buying that. I did buy some salmon so it is Teriyaki Salmon for supper.

There is small mutter of thunder in the distance.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 9th, 2018, 8:29 am

She finished with the usual final number A Night Like This.
As there's generally a party atmosphere by the end with everyone on their feet it's quite appropriate.

I saw her in Harrogate a couple of years ago.
At the start of the show all the lights went out and we could hear her but not see her.
After a while a spotlight came on and she was halfway up the aisle in the stalls, that was a pretty dramatic start.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 9th, 2018, 8:43 am

I too love Caro Emerald and her unique style .. :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 9th, 2018, 8:47 am

Good morning everyone,
I'd never heard of Caro Emerald, must check her out :) .
The dire weather continues, I've done the bin dash so I've no need to go out today, thankfully the forecast is much better for tomorrow.
Mince and tatties with savoy cabbage for dinner tonight and I might make some dumplings to go with it :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2018, 9:01 am

I'm aware of Caro Emerald ... I like what she does when I hear it but I couldn't name any of it.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 9th, 2018, 10:00 am

We have just received the Christmas/ New Year programme from the Four Seasons Hotel. On the last page is a list of Christmas and New year cakes made by their pastry department. One of the items is Vasilopitta , the New Year cake, it firmly states that you must provide you own gold coin :!:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 9th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Good Afternoon Wild Ones. I had a quick look around Morrisons, I needed some bread. They have the Christmas wrapping paper, cards and gift sets out already and mince pies and Christmas puds :o :o :o Mind you I suppose it is only 10 weeks away :terrified: and I was browsing the shops for ideas myself :rolleyes:

The sun is out and we have blue sky everywhere, it's like a spring day 8-)
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2018, 12:47 pm

I'm on hold to Npower about our Smart Meter installation that didn't happen on Friday and the explanatory phone call that didn't happen yesterday ............................. :x
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Interesting ... on Friday the chap from the installation company told me that Npower had cancelled the installation and he would contact them to find out why and ring me back yesterday ... today Npower told me that they certainly hadn't cancelled the installation ... on the contrary, in September the installation company contacted them to say that I had cancelled!!!

And no, in spite of what he told me on Friday the chap from the installation company hasn't contacted them since then ... certainly not since Friday ............. methinks someone's pants are on fire!!! :twisted:

It looks as if I'm in line for a £30 payout ... they are investigating ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I am still waiting for my £30 compensation from British gas. It was a rationed September 7th or there abouts. They did say it takes some time to go through :rolleyes: they are quick enough when they want money from you through. We have a smart meter for electric, it is flashing and the little display thing appears to be working, but they keep asking me to submit meter readings. I thought that was the point of them, they did it direct. :twisted: Another service to sort out :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I have my £30 and no smart meter and that's how I intend leaving it!

I've had a lovely day pootling round Wiltshire, having lunch out at a cafe I only found out about the other day (lovely place but I thought it a bit odd to put tumeric in a sundried tomato and feta tart). Popped into the Henge shop in Avebury to look for a book and came out laden with everything but. Finished up locally looking round the new Best Bargains store, Iceland warehouse and the inferior Lidl which is next door (whose bakery was 'out of order' and they didn't have self service tills but they did have nice ice cream). Sleepy now but I have a write up to do for a newsletter ... maybe a little snooze first ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Sounds like a few frustrations have been had today. What is it with energy suppliers? :evil:

I gave a load of books to charity first thing, and lots of DVD's, mainly horror. I decided I don't need those in my collection anymore. The gentleman in the shop told me he would have to go through each one to make sure there weren't any, erm, 'adult' themed discs in there. I thought this a bit of an odd thing to say. Felt a bit creepy actually. Coukdn't wait to get out. I'll move along the high street to Keech next time I think!

The newly acquired bookcase is now in situ ready for lightweight books and other items. I'm quite pleased with it. Veggie burger in a bun tonight for tea. I think that needs chilli potato wedges with it. Looking forward to GBBO vegan week tonight. I wonder why they didn't call it plant based week as per the current trend? :wink:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 9th, 2018, 4:06 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:
Looking forward to GBBO vegan week tonight. I wonder why they didn't call it plant based week as per the current trend? :wink:

If you watched QI last night, you'll now know that not all plants are suitable for vegans. :o

Apparently hardline vegans say that plants which are fertilised by bees which are transported around the country in portable hives, so that they are in the right place at the right time, aren't acceptable to eat, as it's cruel and unnatural for the bees. Avocados and almonds were two of the products mentioned.

I think this takes place in the USA more than here, but apparently it's a big agricultural industry to supply bees to fruit and nut farmers, on an 'as needed' basis.
Suelle
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop