Do you have cleaner ? (domestic help)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Do you have cleaner ? (domestic help)

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2018, 4:49 pm

Can I ask what you pay per hour ? If you don't want to make it public you could pm me please.

I have asked someone in my road if she is a cleaner (the clue was in the Molly Maid sign written car she drives). I thought I would employ one as I just can't seem to keep up with myself - too much else to be doing in the meantime as well.

She has quoted me £20 per hour to do it privately, said going through the company would be more expensive :o :o :o

I have asked a couple of my friends who both pay £10 per hour, so not such a bargain after all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Do you have cleaner ? (domestic help)

Postby WWordsworth » September 2nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

I pay £13ph
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 4:56 pm

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Molly-Maid/salaries

https://www.mollymaid.co.uk/molly-maid-prices/

I think I'd rather get someone on recommendation from a friend.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2018, 5:00 pm

suffolk wrote:I think I'd rather get someone on recommendation from a friend.

I don't know anyone locally who has a cleaner :( The friends I have asked don't live in my locality :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 5:37 pm

Oh that's a shame ... you could ask on the Next Door network. Around here lots of us belong to our local one ... we find out about reliable builders, windowcleaners, gardeners, plumbers etc

https://nextdoor.co.uk/about_us/
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 2nd, 2018, 5:37 pm

Might be worth mentioning it to locals in general, quite often someone knows someone....

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 5:43 pm

suffolk wrote:Oh that's a shame ... you could ask on the Next Door network. Around here lots of us belong to our local one ... we find out about reliable builders, windowcleaners, gardeners, plumbers etc

I have no advice on cleaners, but I like the look of Next Door so have just joined my local one, so thanks for that.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 5:47 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:
suffolk wrote:Oh that's a shame ... you could ask on the Next Door network. Around here lots of us belong to our local one ... we find out about reliable builders, windowcleaners, gardeners, plumbers etc

I have no advice on cleaners, but I like the look of Next Door so have just joined my local one, so thanks for that.

We find it really useful Tezza :D .... local fund-raising events are also advertised so it's a way of getting to know what's going on if you're new to an area ... the local police and the council also use it to make announcements, publicise road closures, changes to bin collections, planning applications etc :D
Last edited by suffolk on September 2nd, 2018, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2018, 5:48 pm

Do you have a local residents Facebook Group?
That would be the place to ask
I think £20 / hour is high
I would expect to pay London living wage + a couple of quid. friends pay around £12 or a tad over
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 2nd, 2018, 5:58 pm

I pay £15 ph, which I think is a lot. Especially for ooop North, but she is good, reliable and known. She has been my Mums cleaner for ten years and is from a local family. Trust is a huge part, especially if they clean whilst you are out. She has a key and let’s herself in and out, I’d try to find someone by recommendation if possible.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 2nd, 2018, 6:07 pm

When I had one (last time was in about 2007) she charged £12. That was London though, albeit south London. And 2007. She was self employed.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2018, 6:08 pm

I had a cleaner during 2008/9. I paid £10 which was quite high end at the time but she was good and I knew her family.

So, I'd say £15 would be quite fair now if they did a good job. Recommendation definitely best if possible, otherwise I think I'd use a firm - for security reasons.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 2nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

Going rate here for is £10-£15 per hour depending on tasks involved and if it is a regular clean, a deep clean or a one-off.
My Dad has a monthly two hour regular clean with a local company and is £10 per hour , it's enough for him to maintain himself between times. They do a really good job and if they had a space I'd use them at the moment they have a 6-9 month waiting list so fingers crossed sometime next year. :)
£20 an hour sounds expensive especially if that is a reduction on the agency cost. :o
liketocook
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 3rd, 2018, 7:06 am

No cleaner here, I have to do it myself :rolleyes: A friend some years ago had a cleaner, just to show off. She used to clean herself before the cleaner got there, can't have her seeing the place a mess :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2018, 7:19 am

There is a big difference between tidying up and dealing with 'stuff' and cleaning. If you do your own, they all meld into one but if you have a cleaner you feel you have to keep up with the former things so they can do the cleaning (which is often the easiest bit!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 3rd, 2018, 8:11 am

Thanks everyone … you have all echoed my thoughts :tu: I have asked a couple of other friends this morning … I was really shocked when she said £20 but by the time she told me that, I had already agreed for her to come and look this afternoon - she lives opposite me. I will give her the chance to revise her price. I do like the idea of a monthly 2 hour clean .. I can then do the bits in between ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am

We have the inimitable Effie, she turns the house upside down once a week, it used to be twice weekly, this is referred to as "being Effied" and forces us to go out.
We are involved in Effie's private life and have supported her through two separations and a divorce. On the other hand she was a great to help to me during my Mother's last year, she enabled me to go to bank/supermarket etc.
I am waiting to hear if my credit card is needed to book flights to Crete so that Hari can continue his training.
Yes, Effie considers us family.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2018, 8:47 am

I haven’t had a cleaner for years but I’m thinking of getting one as soon as I’ve finished the current round of decluttering. I feel I have the time and the energy to do it myself but I’m not that systematic about it - we’ve discussed before that you do a different job doing it yourself, not least because as earthmaiden says you mix in some tidying. But I sometimes miss seeing what needs a clean, and it annoys me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 3rd, 2018, 9:26 am

We have a French version of Effie Moira and she is also just like family. I couldn't live withour her although we do have a standby who help with the house next door from time to time.

I hate housework, always have done and always will, so I've always had help in the house. We don't mind tidying and sorting and I still quite like ironing - except it has been a hot job this summer.

Mr R always teases me about tidying up for the femme de menage.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 3rd, 2018, 11:57 am

I always used to end up doing some cleaning (toilet) before the cleaner came. This was shame rather than pride... or possibly both. Getting people to do things for me does not sit well.

It is essential to tidy before a cleaner comes imo. otherwise they end up tidying rather than cleaning, which is not what you want, as: a) you want things cleaned ; and b) you can never find anything afterwards.

I think my cleaner preferred tidying to cleaning :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 3rd, 2018, 12:05 pm

I think the problem with many of the cleaning companies is that the staff are poorly paid and do the bare minimum. That's certainly been the experience of friends who have used them. I clean for one of my best friends once per fortnight and I do properly clean (but then I enjoy housework! :D ) By mutual arrangement, friend pays me a small amount but also pays me in kind with a bottle of something fizzy.... :cocktail: ;)

(Same friend used one of the big companies for a 'deep clean' when she and her partner were moving out of their previous address and the 'deep clean' was significantly less thorough than my standard clean.)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2018, 12:17 pm

I’m a little scared of the big agencies I’m looking at one that’s local but is essentially a team of four friends, which might be best of both worlds, some cover if one is ill or goes away for a month but not the corporate lack of interest

A friend raved about how wonderful it was that her big cleaning co brought their own cleaning products with them. Didn’t get it :? - want to choose what my house smells of and I wouldn’t trust them not to use an all purpose silicone polish on surfaces that would not appreciate it. I’m going to have to get the French polisher to refinish a lovely little chest of drawers that has been coated in Mr Sheen in my parents house :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2018, 12:31 pm

There are all sorts of health and safety regulations about the use of cleaning products in the workplace ( and it is a workplace for the cleaner). A cleaner at one if my workplaces had to stop using a nice-smelling all round polish which can be bought in a supermarket as it didn't meet the right guidelines with the company she was employed by a d we have had to stop bringing our own cleaning materials for our desks ( which are shared) due to risk from chemicals and alallergies. If you use a private cleaner they are more flexible. I quite agree with all your comments though Sue!

As for getting what you pay for (or not!), when MIL had a home help the normal fee was to clean what could be seen. Anything else was called a deep clean. This apparently included moving the coffee table and chairs round the dining table. :shock: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 3rd, 2018, 12:51 pm

We actually used to top out cleaner's official £12 up to £15. It was awkward when she raised her offical price :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2018, 1:19 pm

As most of the cleaning products I use are Ecover I doubt there would be a problem with workplace safety - I'm aiming to provide less aggressive chmicals

But it does make you wonder why if it is not safe for a group of healthy adults to use in an office, how can be safe for them to sell in a supermarket to people who may use them around babies, kittens, frail relatives etc.. That really is heath and safety gone mad - either it's good enough for routine use round human beings or it ain't surely?

But silicone polish is my bête noire - stinks and ruins wooden furniture
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 3rd, 2018, 1:32 pm

I uase ecco products too Sue. Reinette they are called (tree frog!) and I have converted Sonia to using them at homw too. I too have banned spray polishes and I get her to use wax liquid once a year and we all have fun buffing it off. It smells lovely but we once had a Brit tennager visit the house who told her mother afterwards that our house smells funny. Her mum told her it just smells of bees wax polish but she wasn't convinced, only ever having experienced Glade before.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2018, 2:11 pm

I use Wood Silk - it is a spray but it's beeswax based and silicone free, guess the propellant isn't brilliant Works anyway
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 3rd, 2018, 3:15 pm

Another wood silk fan here. I introduced my cleaner to it and she is now using it everywhere she cleans.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 3rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

I like Wheelers Beeswax Polish and I, too, like the Ecover range of cleaning products but the range Aldi stock are also very good (as well as cheap). My favorite floor cleaner is Waitrose Eco with grapefruit & eucalyptus and I can never see past Lakeland all purpose oven cleaner, and 'Blitz That Mould'. If you ever see it, the 'Iron & Velvet' range of cleaning stuff is also fab, especially the glass & mirror cleaner (Homesense often stock it).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2018, 4:54 pm

StokeySue wrote:But it does make you wonder why if it is not safe for a group of healthy adults to use in an office, how can be safe for them to sell in a supermarket to people who may use them around babies, kittens, frail relatives etc.. That really is heath and safety gone mad - either it's good enough for routine use round human beings or it ain't surely?

I know! :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 3rd, 2018, 5:29 pm

We have compromised … 2 hours once a month for £30 .. hopefully she will do the bits I can't/don't do (behind the sofas, clean the windows etc ) I will have more enthusiasm to keep it cleaner and tidier :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 3rd, 2018, 6:49 pm

Sounds like a good compromise Patsy, I think you just need to be clear about what you want her to focus on :) , my Dad struggles with bending and anything that involves steps or ladders so they focus on the things he struggles with.
My Dad had his done today. It certainly does make him generally more tidier which helps. Next month he's having a 3 hour "winter clean" which includes the insides of his windows, cleaning his blinds and washing not just dusting the skirtings etc. this will cost £40. For another £20 they are taking down his curtains (they are all machine washable), washing and ironing them then rehanging the next day which as he has 4 sets I reckon is really good value.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 4th, 2018, 5:41 am

I was paid £10 ph. she was lovely to clean for with no clutter and just some photos to pick up and dust. She would only let me use water in a spray for dusting, and once a year 'we' would do the beeswax between us. She became and still is a close fiend and Mr. Z helps them with the awkward larger logs every now and then.

Personally I would never have a cleaner I would hate the invasion.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 4th, 2018, 8:25 am

Zosherooney wrote:Personally I would never have a cleaner I would hate the invasion.

When I lived in Hong Kong, a cleaner (called an Amah iirc :? ) was really a must have and even us Naval wives, married to the lower ranks had one. Mine was called Ahdor .. she used to send me out shopping as I felt the need to help her ; so "You go shopping Missie" was the order ;) :lol: I have had lodgers too, so I don't think I would mind leaving her to get on with things - once we have discussed what 'thing's are ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 4th, 2018, 8:44 am

I used to have a cleaner when we had a 5 bedroom house - now we live in a two up two down I can manage :lol: :lol:
MIL had the same cleaner for 45 years - poor Jean was only a couple of years younger than MIL and kept going until she was about 85. By this time all she was doing was running the hoover over the living room floor and washing up a couple of tea cups!
When she retired we used an agency to find a replacement. She was contracted to come in for 2 hours - she would do the hoovering and wash the kitchen floor. Clean the bathroom and change the bed. This would take her about 45 minutes max - she'd then leave. I told MIL that she should be working for the full 2 hours - she never dusted anywhere or moved any furniture. MIL didn't like to ask her to do 'extras'.
When MIL was in hospital I went in to give it a quick clean up before she came home - it was in a terrible state - literally hundreds of dead woodlice and flies under the bed :scared: The upstairs bedrooms had never been touched. I spent days getting the place thoroughly cleaned - literally years of neglect and all the while she had been paying for a cleaner!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 8:45 am

Zosherooney wrote:I would never have a cleaner I would hate the invasion.

The time might come when you have to ... it comes to many of us eventually ... best to get our heads around the idea early on ... even if we don't actually need one it's not a good idea to set your mind against one ... we only have to read our Looking After our Parents thread to see that ... :rolleyes: :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 4th, 2018, 9:12 am

Meganthemog wrote:When MIL was in hospital I went in to give it a quick clean up before she came home - it was in a terrible state - literally hundreds of dead woodlice and flies under the bed :scared: The upstairs bedrooms had never been touched. I spent days getting the place thoroughly cleaned - literally years of neglect and all the while she had been paying for a cleaner!

Absolutely. That's very similar to my friend's experience. I gave their previous rented flat a proper 'bottoming' when they moved out because the 'deep clean' from the cleaning company they had been using was completely pants. It was an old building converted into flats and admittedly not the easiest place to clean (it was all a bit Victorian Gothic and idiosyncratic) but even so. They just sploshed a load of water around to make it look like they'd done something but I don't think they'd ever cleaned under or behind anything, let alone dusted.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2018, 9:23 am

I would have had a cleaner a while back - but as I was working from home I felt awkward about having someone coming in while I was there as this missie could not have gone shopping while she was thrre
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 10:23 am

Seatallan wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:When MIL was in hospital I went in to give it a quick clean up before she came home - it was in a terrible state - literally hundreds of dead woodlice and flies under the bed :scared: The upstairs bedrooms had never been touched. I spent days getting the place thoroughly cleaned - literally years of neglect and all the while she had been paying for a cleaner!

Absolutely. That's very similar to my friend's experience. I gave their previous rented flat a proper 'bottoming' when they moved out because the 'deep clean' from the cleaning company they had been using was completely pants. It was an old building converted into flats and admittedly not the easiest place to clean (it was all a bit Victorian Gothic and idiosyncratic) but even so. They just sploshed a load of water around to make it look like they'd done something but I don't think they'd ever cleaned under or behind anything, let alone dusted.

That's why you need a cleaner before you really need one ... so that you're able enough to check that they're doing a proper job and fire them if they're not.

After a few ladies who had been less than satisfactory, my Aged Ps found a wonderful local lass who also worked for a Care Agency ... she started off just cleaning for Ma and Pa just once, then twice a week and also took their dog to the groomer etc when Pa couldn't drive, and as they became more and more infirm she skilfully guided them to the use of Wiltshire meals, pants and pads etc and introduced the concept of needing more 'Care' very gently ... they took far more notice of her than they ever did of me :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby gillthepainter » September 4th, 2018, 10:35 am

I've had a sorry experience with Molly Maids.
We paid £40 every 2 weeks.
And would come back to ironing being done (badly), that she shouldn't have touched. But the house barely vacuumed.

I was at home one day, and she stayed for 1hr, borrowed our phone to call the office. And said she'd be back, and she was later for 3hrs.
Not her fault really, but she was caught out.

I'd give Molly Maids agency a miss. A use someone you know.
gillthepainter
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 4th, 2018, 11:29 am

I have never intended to use an agency … it's just that my neighbour works for them. During an (online) conversation, I asked her about the cleaning service and she offered to do mine as a private job … Looking forward to seeing how we get on :scared: ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » September 4th, 2018, 1:14 pm

I've had my cleaner fore two years, I love her, we've become really good mates.
Her rate is £12ph but I pay £10- mates rates ;)
I look forward to her coming twice a week for a gossip, and we chat all the time on messanger etc.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 4th, 2018, 6:19 pm

suffolk wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:

We find it really useful Tezza :D .... local fund-raising events are also advertised so it's a way of getting to know what's going on if you're new to an area ... the local police and the council also use it to make announcements, publicise road closures, changes to bin collections, planning applications etc :D

I received my Next Door postcard this morning and used the code to prove my address and activate my account. It looks good so far! A good place for me to look for a window cleaner when they will need doing. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2018, 7:47 pm

I am very wary of Next Door

I was a member of the similar UK service Street life and was one of many people who declined a transfer to Next Door when they took over, because they required you to reveal far too much personal info on line. They also defined the areas you were allowed to join rather oddly. The problem was/is displaying real nam and street address together.

I don’t know if they have changed this, especially since GDPR, but I’d be very cautious. Have they changed the amount of info you need to publish?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 9:49 pm

I too was on Street Life first. I have no problem with posting under my own name ... it’s in the phone book/ electoral roll etc. I suppose I might feel a bit wary if I lived alone but I’m not sure why. I can’t remember having to give any info that isn’t already in the public domain.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 4th, 2018, 11:14 pm

I am usually wary about giving out too much info. I didn't feel this was an issue with Next Door. It seemed a brief exchange of basics which would already be out there. They did ask for details of others in my area, such as email. As I do not know anyone on that level I declined. I'll tread carefully but happy to cautiously see how it goes.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2018, 11:53 pm

It was the obvious linking of address with real name in the original version that gave me and thousands of others. Yes, there is the electoral register and phone records, but it takes some effort. Saying in public hi world I’m Jane Doe and I live at 1 End Street. Oh and I’ll be out all day on Saturday at the fete - is a bit different to me. It might be OK if you live in Greendale or for that matter Emmerdale but in London?

Is the address visible to other users currently?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 5th, 2018, 12:54 am

This won't add much (as I live overseas) other than to feed into the debate on the merits etc to life of having cleaning help..when we moved here in 2010 someone recommended a housesitter (cat sitter) the first time we went away (paying a little nightly fee). When we got back the place was immaculate so the next time we went away we asked her if she would like extra cash to help us with a deep clean whilst we were away. I was gobsmacked by the results. Our jobs (me and OH) are both massively full on so we decided after a while that whilst we can afford it, it is well worth it. She has a key and comes when we are at work and stays every time we are away and looks after the cats. During last year's hurricane her house completely collapsed and she and her husband and little girl were in a shelter. We had one secure room in our house albeit not v comfortable but they lived there for two months and essentially saved most of our belongings by getting rid of flood water and washing by hand (with no running water) all of our clothes and bedding). I can't thank them enough as I was too busy with my government job and they are pleased they had somewhere to,live for a few months. This isn't what anyone wanted to hear I know :oops: ) but Thursday is a year to the anniversary. I suppose my message is that if you can find the right person (and maybe Moira, Rats and I are demonstrating it is easier in expat life) having a cleaner can be more than having a cleaner
Rocky
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 5th, 2018, 10:13 am

That sounds great Rocky! Mutual support :hug: :hi5:

Seems you and MagicMarmite have done well in the cleaner lottery
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 5th, 2018, 10:30 am

StokeySue wrote:That sounds great Rocky! Mutual support :hug: :hi5:

Seems you and MagicMarmite have done well in the cleaner lottery

Absolutely. There are many stories of people with a v different story :tu:
Rocky
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop