Food Bank Donations

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Food Bank Donations

Postby WWordsworth » October 4th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Do you do it?
What do you donate?

Since learning about period poverty my standard contribution is teabags and sanitary protection.
The theory being if you're feeling rubbish you can freshen up and have a hot drink.

How about you?
WWordsworth
Registered

Re: Food Bank Donations

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2018, 9:40 pm

I usually check on the list which says what’s needed and get a few of those ... often things that are near the bottom of the list on the rather unscientific premise that many people will get stuff at the top of the list. The last things I put in were tinned toms, a bag of pasta, disposable razors and shaving gel.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2018, 9:42 pm

We have a separate local Red Box scheme for sanitary products

What I give varies depending on what they are asking for and where I am shopping. Hackney have enough tea, pasta beans, they most need canned foods and basic cleaning products.

There used to be collection bins in my local supermarkets but they have gone and you now have to take the stuff to local collection points, often in non-food shops including my optician and Location Location. There are only eight collection points now for the whole of Hackney Sainsbury and Morrison’s no longer have bins and I don’t know why.

It’s going to get worse I fear
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 12:51 am

We are seeing these bins popping up everywhere lately, but does the regular Joe Bloggs really understand the root level reason of why they are there? It doesn't seem very well thought out to me that as a nation we are expected to see a bin, be it for human of animal donations, and heart strings pulled, think 'I can spare a fiver today!' So you dump a tray of cat food in (I've done it!) and go home and feel slightly pleased that you have been able to help someone somewhere. I am speaking, by the way, as someone who a year ago had to ask my councillor for a food bank voucher because I only had two sachets of minestrone cuppa soup in my cupboard. I have never felt so low doing so. As it happens, my food bank voucher went missing in the post, probably intercepted by another homeless person living in my block. Fair play to him if he was hungry that day!

But, seriously, our nation is rapidly running out of solutions to MAJOR social issues at the moment, poverty being one that is stopping people such as I to potentially be able to afford the freedom to get decent food in. I am very much relying on my food prep knowledge and how I can, for example, turn a 10p bag of leeks into a weeks worth of soup with a couple of spuds and seasoning. I'd hate to be a carp cook right now! I can only imagine how less talented cooks must feel when their funds are so low, especially those trying to feed their kids. My heart literally bleeds daily. Roll on better times for all and the end of the need for food banks.:hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 5:48 am

Well said Tezza! :tu: :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 5th, 2018, 6:33 am

I absolutely agree, Tezza.

I do voluntary work in a Food Bank, on the 'food in' side, rather than distributing it to clients. I think it must be soul destroying to have to rely on Food Bank donations to feed your family. Due the fact that only non-perishable food can be taken in by donation from the public, it's not the healthiest of ways to eat, but it is only supposed to be a three-day stop gap, three times a year.

Our scheme is over-run with sanitary products! They come in far faster than they go out and it's hard to find anywhere to take the excess.

I find that people donate in similar ways to the way they shop, so tinned vegetables are never very high on the list - we're always short. However, we get too many baked beans and packs of pasta! At this time of year, a few luxuries for Christmas are welcome - drinking chocolate, nicer biscuits, tinned fruit, good quality tinned meat instead of a tinned 'ready meal' - but in general not things that need other ingredients added before you can use them. If you've got an empty cupboard, you don't want a pack of cake mix which needs eggs added before it can be used.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 7:55 am

In my previous life, we were a distribution centre for the local food bank project. There was a time when on average we were giving out a couple of bags per week but by the time I left work it was at least ten per day.

I agree with Suelle about the way people donate. Another problem was catering for people with specific needs (health issues such as diabetes or allergies, religious factors, etc).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 5th, 2018, 8:11 am

I need to consider my donations more carefully after reading this - especially Suelle's contribution.
Sometimes one needs to have the obvious pointed out.
but in general not things that need other ingredients added before you can use them
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 8:15 am

Well said Tezza and Suelle.

In the uk I used to help out at a place called Peoples' Kitchen which still provides hot food every lunch time and other volunteers go out at night to provide food from vans. and Restaurants du Ceour

Here there are 2 organisations which provide such help. The Red Cross and Restaurants du Ceour. They both collect in local supermarkets every couple of months but they also collect everyday from local food outlets who donate surplus stock and from producers who commit to regular donations. Most shoppers seem to donate to the supermarket collections and like some of you I usually give either toiletries , sanitary products or baby products.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 5th, 2018, 8:17 am

Basic cleaning products such as washing up liquid and cleaning sprays for floors and work surfaces are always welcome too.

I don't know if all schemes work the same way, but our scheme allows people to take 'extras' such as toiletries, pet food and baby care products (including food) on top of what food is allocated (depending on family size).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 8:36 am

Many (though not all) food banks are affiliated to the Trussell Trus
Here’s their website which is very badly structured IMO and if you follow to the trail marked Donate it takes you to a page for donating money not food; but does have all th info somewhere
https://www.trusselltrust.org/

I found the info about my local one more easily by googling “Hackney food bank collection”

The apparently national site for the Red Box Project may be dodgy, I’ll follow up
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 5th, 2018, 8:43 am

I have never seen any collection bins until this week in Morrisons, they had a trolly marked food bank donations at the back of the tills, but I had already paid for all my shopping. Next time I go in I will buy some tins of soup to put in it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 5th, 2018, 9:47 am

Our scheme is over-run with sanitary products! They come in far faster than they go out and it's hard to find anywhere to take the excess.

Schools or womens' centres maybe
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 10:09 am

icelesley wrote: but I had already paid for all my shopping.

It annoys me that there is rarely anything at the start of one's shop as a reminder. I do not do a routine weekly shop and forget. I would donate much more with a little memory jog. When I remember, I go for things required on the current list. I always think that tins of meat, stew etc will be useful and they are often on the list.

Supermarket collection points seem much more low key than they were. We had a local food bank run mainly by volunteers but it folded and I think Trussel do it now. The collection point in Sainsbury's is usually for the local Women's Aid group.

Of course we shouldn't need food banks but while we do, the public needs reminding to donate and there have to be enough volunteers.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 10:13 am

WWordsworth wrote:

Schools or womens' centres maybe

Right, I've checked with the Red Box Project and the link below is their official web site, although my iPhone didn't like it. They would be the best organisation to take excess or advise on where else to donate it, our local group is very good, it should be noted that although they now have a national website, they are very much a network of local groups, so their coverage does vary.. For this reason, the best place to look for local groups is probably still Face bool, link to the national level page there as well

Web
http://redboxproject.org/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/theredboxprojectuk/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 5th, 2018, 11:01 am

I will remember to vary my donation in future - not just pasta and tinned tomatoes. On a different note I have a lot of Tesco's own make cat food - Buddy is a very fussy cat, but since he is confined to a cage I am indulging him! Could I put that in a plastic bag and put it in the donation's trolley or does it have to be a complete box?
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 11:08 am

I think you'd have to check with your local bank if they take pet food at all - if they do I don't suppose they care about the units is sealed

Local cat rescue / rehoming will take anything a cat can use, they will probably have a flier at the vet's - if not the receptionist will know or they will be on FB or local community sites.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm

If there is a collection at our supermarkets there are always volunteers handing leaflets to customers as they arrive and others collectiong the donations in trolleys according to type. One can hardly avoid them !!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 12:47 pm

We have days like that but not very often. Usually Saturdays near Christmas. I don't think there are enough volunteers to be a regular thing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I think that both organisations have found that regular but not too frequent blitzes are more likely to produce a good response than the bin in the corner. At tleast that's what one volunteer told me. They do get a very very good response. i think their dedication and enthusiasm are infections.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 3:30 pm

StokeySue wrote:Local cat rescue / rehoming will take anything a cat can use,

If you have a Pets At Home nearby Megan, they often have a donations bucket for pet food (and then pass it on to local rescue charities).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 6th, 2018, 7:11 am

earthmaiden wrote:
icelesley wrote: but I had already paid for all my shopping.

It annoys me that there is rarely anything at the start of one's shop as a reminder. I do not do a routine weekly shop and forget. I would donate much more with a little memory jog. When I remember, I go for things required on the current list. I always think that tins of meat, stew etc will be useful and they are often on the list.

Supermarket collection points seem much more low key than they were. We had a local food bank run mainly by volunteers but it folded and I think Trussel do it now. The collection point in Sainsbury's is usually for the local Women's Aid group.

Of course we shouldn't need food banks but while we do, the public needs reminding to donate and there have to be enough volunteers.[/quote

I think they should put the collection point where you enter the shop as a reminder whilst you are shopping, its to late once you have finished. I also think there should be someone at the collection point too, I am not saying there are many unscrupulous people about, but I am sure some would help themselves when nobody is looking sadly.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby uschi » October 6th, 2018, 9:10 am

uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 9:22 am

My hairdresser collects nice but not expensive toiletries under the Christmas tree every year, they go to local women’s aid
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 10th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Today's donation was hot choc and instant porridge sachets.
I looked in the tub and there was cat food, pasta and tinned tomatoes.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 10th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Ours are always looking for "no cook"/just add water food as many folk using the food bank are working with just a kettle and maybe a microwave. Noodle pots, instant noodles, ping rice mixes, tinned tuna/ ham/veg and cupasoup tend to be what I give along with soap bars, baby wipes and toothpaste/brushes (also asked for). We are fortunate that we have a "ant-period poverty" scheme so there sanitary products aren't needed for donations.
liketocook
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 10th, 2018, 7:55 pm

You have reminded me that I had a clear out and found half a dozen toothbrush / toothpaste sets from aircraft toiletry kits.
They were all donated.
I realise the toothpaste is titchy but the brushes were full size.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 11:04 am

Just seen this Tweet from Jack Munroe

[quote=“Jack Munroe] Very proud to announce my next cookbook, which will be donated to foodbanks, is ENTIRELY from tins. 75 beautiful, delicious, surprising recipes, from cans. I've had a lot of fun with this and think it's my best book yet. You can order it here. #TinCanCook [/quote]

Not available to buy yet
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Can-Cook-Store-cupboard-Recipes/dp/1529015286
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » October 23rd, 2018, 8:33 pm

I have two old cookbooks...I Can Cook, and I Can Cook Two(Too?).
Amber
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop