Would you agree to this ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Would you agree to this ?

Postby Zosherooney » October 5th, 2018, 10:54 am

Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Would you agree to this ?

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 11:05 am

A dear friend (the one we stay with in Devon) is a Waitrose delivery driver ... I'd trust him with my life ... and I'm sure he's not an exception ... having read about the heavily pregnant lass who lived at the top of two flights of stairs and the delivery driver (was it T*sco's?) who refused to take her shopping up to her flat for her, I'm sure it'll be handy for some folk ... also for couples both working full time this will do away with trying to get a delivery slot when you're at home ... I can see it being a useful service.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 11:13 am

The first person I knew who had home delivery from Tesco, the only people who did it then was immobile due to a motor bike accident
He used to leave the door unlocked, they brought it in, put it on the table, and stowed stuff in fridge and freezer that needed immediate attention, but that was a personal favour I think. Then they locked the door behind themselves

I'd think twoce about signing up, and perhaps don't wan tto be the first person in the area while they may hit teething trouble,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 11:36 am

My late Aged Ps had deliveries from Farmhouse Foods ... the delivery chap would let himself in (he had the door code) put the new delivery in the freezer, keeping any already in the freezer to the front so that it was always within date etc, then go through to the sitting room where my parents would have a cheque ready for him and the order for the next month ... at that stage neither could walk without a zimmer . It was a marvellous service. Sometimes, if Ma was a little 'under par' she'd give him the cheque book and he'd write the cheque and she'd sign it ... initially I was alarmed by that but he was totally honest.

I see no reason why W'rose would employ less reliable delivery personnel ... believe it or not there are a lot of very trustworthy folk about. :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I can see how useful it would be for many. One would assume that the drivers were vetted properly etc. People like Wiltshire Farm Foods already unpack the goods and put them away and will do it without the occupant present. In my present situation I doubt I would use it but if I worked full time and had a family and large house to look after I might consider it. I would probably lock away anything I didn't want them to see but the real down side would be having to leave the house/kitchen in a decent state before going out in the morning :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2018, 1:37 pm

That would make my mother happy. As it is, when she occasionally lets me do an online Sainsbury's shop for her, she asks the person to let himself into the kitchen (there's access from the back) as she can't get up to answer the door (or indeed anything other than the commode... tmi!) and put any frozen stuff in the freezer. Folk in Sheffield are very kind.

I'd hate it. I'd worry they'd let the cats out, and I'd have to tidy my kitchen/fridge and I might not be able to find things.

What my mother really needs is a smart fridge linked (to her iPad) that can let her know when things are running out. Her carers are very bad at mentioning it, a situation which is made more difficult by the fact that she doesn't have the same ones from one day to the next. (4 visits a day, potentially 6 different carers.) However the carers probably wouldn't have time to scan things as they put them away, I imagine. It needs to say when things are approaching their sell by date too. Carers chuck out anything that's gone past it - even chocolate.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm

I wish your mum would have Wiltshire Herbi ... it would make her life (and yours) so much more straightforward ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 3:31 pm

The trouble with all these things is that they won't be used by many those who need them most - the more or less housebound frail elderly

I'm not sure if they'd have allowed the delivery person in, they were used to the home help type of carere ciming in using the key safe, so perhaps that would have been OK, though mum wouldn't have liked it

But there would be no way of ordering the stuff as they didn't use internet or mobile phone, and I don't thinl they's have let me or Sharon do it on their behalf

Also I think Mum would have decided she didn't recognise the stuff, bin it, and go to the shop
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » October 5th, 2018, 3:46 pm

In a word NO
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 5:39 pm

StokeySue wrote:The trouble with all these things is that they won't be used by many those who need them most - the more or less housebound frail elderly

I'm not sure if they'd [eta: my parents I mean!] have allowed the delivery person in, they were used to the home help type of carere ciming in using the key safe, so perhaps that would have been OK, though mum wouldn't have liked it

But there would be no way of ordering the stuff as they didn't use internet or mobile phone, and I don't thinl they's have let me or Sharon do it on their behalf

Also I think Mum would have decided she didn't recognise the stuff, bin it, and go to the shop
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 5th, 2018, 6:17 pm

IME the Waitrose and JL delivery people are fab. Waitrose prices are not extortionate and the value is good. Hooray, when I lose mobility and marbles they will look after me. Excellent. That is good news.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Suffs the portions are far too big for her and they actually look rather expensive (or she'd think they were.) Also the carers won't cook anything that takes longer than 5 minutes, she says. I think she did try them when her appetite was a little larger, and didn't like a lot of them, but the main thing is portion size. And it would be wasteful not to eat everything... :)
Most of the things that come in the shop are yoghurts, Rachel's rice pudding (she really loves the coconut one) milk, instant cupuccino, eggs, biscuits, sliced meat (plus loo paper, wipes, toiletries, household things etc.)... i.e. not what we would think of as meals. She has a routine - microwaved poached eggs on toast for breakfast, a tiny sandwich (equivalent of one slice) and a bit of salad for lunch and a yoghurt for 'dinner' plus maybe a bit of chocolate or a biscuit with milk. She has no desire to change this. I can't presuade to eat anything else when I offer to cook when I'm there. (Well maybe I can tempt her with a different dessert. Sometimes I slip different things into the shop too. I spend a lot of time (and if shopping in person, energy) trying to find differnet things that and second guess what she might like.)

Most of the time she relies on people to pick up bits and pieces. Every now and then either we do a big shop for these, plus things that don't go off, either online or me in person (by bus and taxi) when I go up. She'd still need someone to do the non-grocery items. I can send, and often do send things via amazon in an amergency (free to her then...!) Pretty much trained delivery people to leave things in the shed now.

edit: recently she keeps sayins she needs to learn how to do an online shop herself on her iPad. I am very very nervous about this!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Just for the record, both Wiltshire Farm Foods and some supermarkets sell small portion ready meals.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2018, 7:43 pm

I checked that. They are not that small/small enough, I am afraid. I was buying her toddler ready meals at one point and she rgeard those as twice as big as she could manage. (Stopped buying them partly because she went off them and also I had suspicions that they were right nutritionally speaking.)

But the bottom line is that she doesn't really like them.

She is immobile so I suppose she doesn't need as much food. She also says she is never ever hungry :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm

My lovely late MIL disliked Wiltshire Farm Foods, said they didn't taste nice.
She preferred me to fill her fridge with microwave ready meals and was happy to nuke then herself.
Her favourite was Sainsbury's ham and mushroom pasta.

She was reasonably mobile in the house and didn't really lose her appetite though.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 1:33 pm

There used to be people around who did catering mainly for functions, but would also batch cook for your freezer, my friends father was well fed by one for the last two years he stayed at home

He liked knowing the provenance of the food

I thought they’d died out and were mainly a country thing anyway but it seems they are back even in London, presumably it’s the gig economy at work. Seen ads recently
Best place to find them seems (round here anyway) to be on Facebook community pages
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 1:41 pm

There used to be people around who did catering mainly for functions, but would also batch cook for your freezer, my friends father was well fed by one for the last two years he stayed at home

He liked knowing the provenance of the food

I thought they’d died out and were mainly a country thing anyway but it seems they are back even in London, presumably it’s the gig economy at work. Seen ads recently
Best place to find them seems (round here anyway) to be on Facebook community pages
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 6th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I don't think my mother really wants to eat cooked meals.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop