A Week on the Broads - in 1935

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

A Week on the Broads - in 1935

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2018, 8:26 pm

This is a suggested list of groceries to order in advance from a local store when planning a jolly week on the Norfolk Broads in 1935.

I wonder what we'd order nowadays ... or would we eat a lot of takeaways? I expect people with caravans will have this down to a tee!

8515548435_a371d0eae8_c.jpg
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: A Week on the Broads - in 1935

Postby liketocook » October 17th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Wow they were certainly covering all eventualities. :? Personally I be looking at "camping food", takeaways and hopefully lots of lovely pub meals as we meandered along the broads :D ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 17th, 2018, 10:04 pm

I wish my nan and granddad were still with us so that I could show them this. In their sixties they would regularly cruise in Norfolk. I am sure being born in the twenties they would have been familiar with some if not all of these items. It looks rather a lot to be stowed away on a boat for a week! I think I'll point my dad in the direction of this to ask his views as he lives on a boat with wife and pooch and often mentions their lack of storage space.

Interesting article. How did you come about it?

I would be mooring up near pubs and takeaways myself, have a week off cooking and enjoy the surroundings.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2018, 12:39 am

reliable birth control was limited in the thirties!
a family with (only) four kids and two adults, you're looking at over a hundred and twenty meals, without snacks, in a week (if working on the three meals a day rule), - the alcohol may have been a parental coping necessity - and a cause of increased family size for the following year!

i have a bar of wright's coal tar soap - i haven't the foggiest where it came from - we didn't buy it - it just appeared sometime a couple of years ago!
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 18th, 2018, 6:50 am

And all the cleaning needs taken care of with soap and Vim! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2018, 9:20 am

i note that there's no ginger beer (shock), plasters or aspirin. the only 'medication' is a pack of eno's, at the end of the list - probably needed after all that meat!
- and only one 'sanitary roll'‽‽

i think i'd take a couple of bags of muesli and research pubs, for dinner, before i left home.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2018, 9:28 am

Fascinating. I hope they picked up fresh fruit and veg while there.

Crustless cheese?!

My other had a fliratious sailing holiday on the Broads with some teacher training college (all girls, of course) friends c. 1946. I shall have to ask her if she remembers what she ate.They wouldn't have been able to afford to eat out much? People didn't then though did they. I mean we didn't, even in the 70s and 80s when on holiday. It was deemed to be too expensive.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2018, 9:30 am

All the booze inlcuding wine... clearly affluent middle class.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 10:08 am

I doubt if there were many places to eat out in rural Norfolk in the 1930s ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 18th, 2018, 10:55 am

I think there’s an element of advertising in that - I doubt anyone ordered the whole lot as written

I notice a the meats are in cans and jars and the make is Brand’s who I only knew as the makers of Essence of Chicken and Essence of Beef - Beef tea concentrate, sold at chemist’s shops as well as at groceries

Quite a lot of the products are familiar from my childhood though [Haywood’s] Military Pickle for example, and of course Oxo and Bovril
Wincarnis wine jelly amused me - Wincarnis, like Sanatogen was a “tonic” wine, so the acceptable sly nip for old ladies, again sold by the chemist as well as the off licence
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 18th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Dad would have had his wright's Coal Tar - he never used any other soap. I can just see Mum scrubbing the decks with the Vim too. The Braods were clearly not a make do and mend holiday in those days were they?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 18th, 2018, 4:10 pm

It all looks scrumptious! :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » October 18th, 2018, 4:13 pm

StokeySue wrote:Quite a lot of the products are familiar from my childhood though [Haywood’s] Military Pickle for example, and of course Oxo and Bovril
Wincarnis wine jelly amused me - Wincarnis, like Sanatogen was a “tonic” wine, so the acceptable sly nip for old ladies, again sold by the chemist as well as the off licence

In how far was it "military"? Or is that what they fed them at the army? We had something called "Komissbrot" (Komiss = a slang word for army and Brot = bread) which had some similarity to military loaves.

As for these "healthy" wines we had them, too, called "Frauengold" (women's gold) and the like. I suppose they were to make the day more bearable for the Hausfrau. 8-)
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 18th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I hope there were lashings of ginger beer ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2018, 5:37 pm

It really hits home how hard 'mother's' would have had to work doesn't it! Making jellies, blancmange etc each day. I suppose salad could be bought locally to eat with the cold meats and bread bought daily too. I think some of those meats could be heated for a main meal. It is a reminder of forward planning with no fridge too (though I grew up without a fridge I don't remember self catering holidays as we lived by the sea).

It is from a Facebook page which has past memories of Norfolk. It is part of a brochure from the Roys of Wroxham emporium suggesting the provisions which might be required. Roys are still the main traders in the village and it is still the starting place for many Broadland boating holidays. You placed your order ahead of your visit and the provisions would be ready for your arrival.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 18th, 2018, 6:08 pm

How gloriously quaint EM, many thanks for sharing.... :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 18th, 2018, 6:11 pm

uschi wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Quite a lot of the products are familiar from my childhood though [Haywood’s] Military Pickle for example, and of course Oxo and Bovril

In how far was it "military"? Or is that what they fed them at the army? We had something called "Komissbrot" (Komiss = a slang word for army and Brot = bread) which had some similarity to military loaves.

As for these "healthy" wines we had them, too, called "Frauengold" (women's gold) and the like. I suppose they were to make the day more bearable for the Hausfrau. 8-)

Hayward’s not Haywood’s of course
Not sure why military, dates back to pre-1900
Hayward’s factory was quite near Woolwich, where the army was based, perhaps they sold it to the soldiers to brighten up the rations? There were quite a few products marketed in that way.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » October 18th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Thanks for that, Sue. :D
uschi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop