Would you eat slaughter free meat?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Would you eat slaughter free meat?

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 20th, 2018, 7:21 am

As is the question posed this morning by BBC news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

(I almost posted this over on veggie, but think meat eaters would have some interesting thoughts too...)

Personally, I think the argument could be that this is still falling within the realms of animal exploitation. You could also argue is this a more cost effective way of producing meat for the many that want it? Better for the environment? Just as nutritious? Any health risks or fewer?

Would love to hear your views.

I'm quite happy living mainly plant based so this doesn't bother me, but would I be tempted? Not sure...
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Would you eat slaughter free meat?

Postby Suelle » October 20th, 2018, 8:02 am

Interesting that you've posted this so soon after 'mad cow disease' has surfaced again, in Scotland. I imagine that factory grown meat would eliminate a lot of the health risks of meat - harmful bacteria, growth hormones etc. It's also less exploitative of animals (unless you're a vegan) as not so many would need to be raised to supply meat, and the few 'base level' animals wouldn't be killed to be eaten.

I'd need to be convinced that whatever chemicals were used to encourage the meat cells to multiply were safe for human consumption, but in principle, I would be willing to try this type of meat.

There's an interesting link in the article you posted, to another about the effects of the whole world going vegetarian, and the outcome wouldn't be totally positive, with (for example) loss of biodiversity in areas which rely on grazing animals, and the risk of malnutrition in some parts of the world - worth a read too!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » October 20th, 2018, 9:28 am

i doubt it, i'll probably be long gone before it'll be cost effective.
and why up the chances of getting the medical problems by starting to eat a 'meat' protein.
there are some strange bits of data in the linked article about the world eating a vegetarian diet.
among them the loss of biodiversity on the scottish hills doesn't ring true - it would surely, slowly, revert to a (less intensively) pre-grazed level (unless the sheep have removed the relevant species) in the same way that the reintroduction of the native buffalo on the prairies is returning the land to a pre-cattle ranging state.
the easiest way to eat 'slaughter free meat' is surely to eat our dead humans - far more efficient - and it's just meat, isn't it‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 20th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I worry about this kind of thing, it is so unnatural but might be alright - or could be proven to have pitfalls, not least to human health. There are huge ethical questions about the sanctity of life and related issues ... I don't really know what I think but do know I don't want or need to eat meat every day and nor does anyone else.

Population growth and the related growing demand for food (as well as food waste) is the real issue to tackle ... and that's another discussion altogether!

As for eating humans ... so many pitfalls there both with related diseases and unethical means of procurement ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2018, 2:39 pm

I’d certainly try it

But I see that for some people the fact that you start with an animal would be an ethical block, however many people it subsequently fed

And I think it needs safety testing, and independent auditing of both economic and environmental impact
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm

I think that unless they come up with something else, this, or insects, may be the furutre for people who don't want to go down the vegan route.

We could end up with no cheese...!

I think I wouldn't eat it though. I've gone off the idea of eating flesh full stop somehow. No rational reason if it can be done without any cruelty to living things (why mightit not be eventually?) but I reserve the right to be irrational in this context.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm

I am all for promoting the eating of insects. I remember seeing a programme a while back where families in an Asian country (can't remember exactly where) bred insects in large baths in their back gardens for the purpose of eating. There was enough protein per family to live on and the children ran home from school and picked out an insect to eat as a treat/snack without depleting the stocks too much. I could easily fit one of those in my tiny garden, as could most people with even the smallest back yards. I would rather do that than eat the meat mentioned in the OP.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 23rd, 2018, 7:43 am

Well, we eat sea based 'insects' - prawns, as well as slug type creatures - oysters and mussels.

I’d be wary of it mainly because modern processing adds all sorts of things that may not be good for me.

A vegan wouldn’t eat it because it would be seen as exploiting animals, my vegan friend doesn’t have the flu jab because it’s egg based. Vegans, particularly in the States, are wary of eating almonds, peaches and so on because of the exploitation of bees being shipped all over the country.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2018, 10:26 am

...although a lot of the current/new wave of veganism seems to be more inspired by environmental issues than animal exploitation... so one cannot say exactly what a vegan would or would't eat?

As a long standing vegetarian, I am increasingly feeling I should eschew dairy products because their mass production involves ethically unacceptable practices in terms of animal welfare. If I make this step I will be technically vegan but exploitation of animals that doesn't involve cruelty and suffering wouldn't be my main motivation. So if lab meat can be grown without hurting living animals, I can see nothing ethically wrong with it per se.

I am still unlikely to eat lab grown meat though ;) It's not necessary to me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop