Fibre

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Fibre

Postby dennispc » October 23rd, 2018, 8:03 am

The general consensus amongst the medical profession is that fibre based food (plants) is good for us, which is what I’ve had most of my life. Some people are not so fortunate, as OH has found.

Came across this in August from the Guardian and perhaps it might be of interest to someone. The article is mainly about gluten, which is why I noticed it, but near the end is this:-

A recent scientific review of the effects of dietary fibre on those who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome noted that: “A general recommendation to increase fibre intake in this group of patients would be inappropriate since it could worsen the symptoms.” Yet most of us still assume, because we have been told over and over again, that “brown is best”.
Link to whole article below, which includes a link to the research paper.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... out-gluten
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Re: Fibre

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2018, 9:17 am

IMO this is a good and well balanced article. I'm assuming that people with medical conditions such as IBS are given dietary advice and eat accordingly. For those whose digestion behaves normally then fibre is surely to be recommended.

I recently had a colonoscopy and in the days leading up to it was only allowed to eat fibreless foods (white bread, white cereal such as rice Krispies etc). I noticed how much I ate compared to my normal diet just to feel full. It was an aspect of the obesity problem I hadn't thought of before.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 10:22 am

Sorry, that’s a notorious Joanna Blythman article - the part about gluten is a pack of lies, and the British Dietetic Association and various doctors had a real go at her on Twitter and the Guardian got some very stiff letters about promoting pseudoscience

Joanna Blythman should IMO be consigned to the same circle of hell as Gwyneth Paltrow, Gillian McKeith, and Aseem Malhotra m. That would be a fun cocktail party.

However, I haven’t been into it in great depth but it seems views on fibre are changing slightly. You also have to be conscious that there are various categories of fibre, they aren’t all the same and they have different effects. The main categories are insoluble fibre such as wheat bran and soluble such as found in many veg, especially pulses but of course manny fibrous foods have a bit of both - that’s why oats are so good, they have both. So

1. IBS triggers vary considerably from one person to another. It’s hardly news that cereal bran can be a trigger, there’s a suggestion that it particularly affects those old enough to have eaten the national Loaf during rationing; my Dad was quite annoyed when good granary and wholemeal bread came into fashion in the 70s as he couldn’t eat it. However, If you don’t have IBS it’s almost certainly not relevant

2. People with severe constipation may be told to cut back on fibre but that’s not relevant to anyone who doesn’t have constipation severe enough to require medical attention

3. Those of us who have apparently normal guts should keep right on eating plants and grains, but we possibly don’t need quite as much, especially as much insoluble fibre, as was suggested years ago. We can shelve the All Bran. There’s a suggestion that the most important effect of fibre may be to keep the biome (friendly bacteria) balanced more than the direct mechanical effect suggested by Burkitt, Trowell et al but I think the jury is still out on everything to do with the biome.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2018, 12:28 pm

During my stay in Canada, eating 'gluten-free' was a topic of conversation round the dinner table one evening,I was scoffed at when I said that unless you are coeliac, or have a specific non-coeliac problem with eating gluten, then there is no need to avoid it … The consensus seemed to be that it should be avoided wherever/whenever possible. This from a society who usually start the day with croissants and every breakfast is accompanied by large slices of toast :rolleyes: :? :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop