Lunch, Supper or Tea - the third meal of the day

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Lunch, Supper or Tea - the third meal of the day

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 3:03 pm

I struggle with this a bit, and wondered what others do
I have breakfast - usually not much, but I know what I am doing with that
I have "dinner" - the main meal of the day, usually on the evening,generally a sit down, hot meal such as meat and 2 veg 0r curry and rice or whatever, either at home or in a restaurant. I know what I'm doing with that, most of the time

Then there's the other meal either a light lunch or supper, never quite sure what to do with that, Tends to be lighter than "dinner" and might be a sald, a soup with something, a frittata or something of that type, Occasionally a sandwich but I'm not a huge fan of a sandwich outside of a packed lunch or occasionally if I have something nice for a filling.

Some dieticians work on a plan of 400 kcal for breakfast, then 600 each for lunch and supper. This adds up to 1600 kcal which is deliberately less than most of us need in a day, leaving some space for drinks, a little snack, a bit of extra dessert or whatever. This is essentially what Jamie O assumes in his meal plans

I think I prefer to have a bit less for lunch than at dinner, though I could probably do with a more even split than I currently tend to end up with, as I catch myself nibbling while I prepare the evening meal. I don't really want to cook 2 full meals a day just for me, but I'd like to get out of the soup - salad - sandwich rut

So what do you do for the lesser meal? How do you approach it?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Lunch, Supper or Tea - the third meal of the day

Postby Busybee » October 23rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

We usually have our main meal at night, but to be honest I eat less over the day if I have the main neal at lunchtime. Like you i get the nibbles when prepping the evening meal, and the old saying of ‘kitchen pickers wear big knickers’ seems very apt!

It’s just that it doesn’t feel right eating at lunchtime after a career of having a light lunch and main meal at night after work.

Our light lunches seem to focus on soup or eggs, would be interested in what others have too.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 23rd, 2018, 3:25 pm

I don't have breakfast, unless I'm going to the Food Bank to work - it's physically demanding, so I need some food first. While I was trying to lose weight I would have a bowl of (tinned) soup or a salad for lunch, but I've slipped back into having a sandwich now. Not exciting, but I'm not going to cook twice a day - not even something simple like an omelette. Fortunately, I like sandwiches! :D

Not much help for you, SSue.

If I need to eat earlier than lunchtime for logistical reasons, I usually have a banana, a few tablespoons of natural yogurt, a squeeze of date syrup and just a light scattering of plain granola on top - about a heaped tablespoon.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » October 23rd, 2018, 3:43 pm

Brekkie in summer is mostly toast for him I might have a smaller portion
" " winter (today) was porridge with 1/4 mango mixed spice, vanilla and yoghurt I was going to have a bite but he finished it all.

Lunch was a sandwich of chicken, avocado and Mamtas aubergine pickle - he had 2 slices of bread mine was the crust only.

Supper is a small battered fish and stir fry veg and a small ptn. of pulled pork with 1/2 small baked tato each.

I try not to serve bread twice in one day and summer varies to winter.... and the amount of energy expended.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 23rd, 2018, 6:49 pm

Even as a Northener I am unable to wrap my head around "Tea" which is what my son insists on calling the evening meal which I refer to as supper.

You know the old saying " Break fast like a king,
Lunch like a duke and dine like a pauper1"
I don't follow this but then I belive it depends on your personal clock. Mr R has to have breakfast - without he simply can't function. I have an espresso and possibly some fruit but if it's later and someone else is cooking I can do much much more substantial.
If i was given the choice I would eat lunch at about 1.00pm every day but we only do this on Sundays.

Supper we always have at 7.00pm. When visitors are here it becomes dinner and probably has a course or two more.

When I sent DS some pictures of the wonderful dinner we had at Maison Pic he replied " Mother how naff to send photos of your tea" Wor tea is a blast from the past. I think I am getting to snobby to acknowledge it any more. Tea for me these days is cucmber sandwiches and scones with cream.

Am i growing too far from my routes :terrified: :terrified: ??
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 23rd, 2018, 6:56 pm

Breakfast on a working day is granola or porridge, maybe a fruit salad in the summer.

Lunch is the same as many others - soup or salad or a sandwich

At the weekend we often have brunch, generally scrambled or poached eggs with bacon, mushrooms and toast.
Then tea and a cake in the afternoon.

Dinner is always in the evening, usually just one course but we might have some cheese an hour or two later.

I can't eat my main meal at lunchtime, it wipes me out for the afternoon.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 23rd, 2018, 6:58 pm

To me, supper is Horlicks and a biscuit :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 23rd, 2018, 7:02 pm

I'm usually a light breakfast around 9.30- toast with banana or cheese spread or cottage cheese with some fruit.
Then lunch around 1-1.30pm - generally quite happy with a sandwich or salad or soup/bread but often use up leftovers in what I call a "lunch portion" size aka much less (around 1/2-1/3rd) than I would have for my main meal. I also sometimes make quiche or similiar which I portion & freeze and have for lunch.
A couple of times a week I'll skip breakfast and have a brunch usually cooked eggs in some form or the odd fry (grill) up.
I'm a late eater of my main meal (dinner) due to years of not getting home until after 7pm. It tends to be the more traditional protein + veg + carbs. I seldom eat bread at this meal unless I'm having curry (prefer pitta/naan to rice) or pizza.
I don't really eat puds and I'm not a snacker so apart from my meals I usually don't eat anything else though drinks lots of tea with milk.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2018, 7:04 pm

I eat very little for breakfast - usually a banana or nothing. I usually have a very light lunch when at work. Salad, soup or veg based and low carb. Main meal is then dinner in the evening - usually 7.30-8pm, unless I am going out (then probably just cereal when I get in to avert cramp.) Dinner is a bowl of food of some description, usually. Dessert, if I am being bad but not every day, and periodically not at all.
At the weekend when husband is home, we tend to go out for lunch, which is usually either a starter and a dessert, or just a main course. Evening meal is then usually something very light, or, after he's gone on Sunday, maybe even just cereal. (I've been having porridge a lot lately in an attempt to get my cholesterol down.)

I eat less and low carb at lunch time during the week to avoid the mid afternoon slump. Bread is particuarly bad at making me want to sleep.

The term 'supper' to me means a snack before going to bed. Something I did as a child/teenager/twenty something, but haven't done for decades (essentially since I stopped being young enough to eat almost anything without putting on weight.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 23rd, 2018, 8:26 pm

I have to agree with Herbidacious and WWordsworth - supper is that little extra something before you go to bed. Common when I was a child - toast and dripping, cheese sandwich or even a bowl of cereal - mainly because the main meal of the day was at 4.30pm to fit in with my father's work pattern.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 9:02 pm

I looked this up before
The OED defines supper as “the last substantial meal of the day” - if you want to define a mug of Horlivka (yuk) and a biscuit as substantial... :lol:

Just goes to show that standard English ain’t so standard I think :D

I don’t have the late evening snack, so supper is the main evening meal or nothing here

Not very original in our light meals are we? This may explain the giddy rise of street food in London which fills that gap.

Arancini, falafel wraps, small noodle dishes, small bibimbap... all nice but not things I’d often make as a single portion at lunch

The only takeaway lunch I tend to have is a banh mi (Vietnamese sub) as there’s s good local version, and I’d never have all the bits at home
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 23rd, 2018, 10:03 pm

Growing up, we always had two slices of toast for breakfast before school. Never cereal. A meal around midday was referred to as dinner, possibly because five days out of seven this was a school 'dinner'. This was usually a cooked meal or salad. A meal in the evening was referred to as tea. This was generally another cooked meal. Usually meat and two veg. Anything sweet to follow was called afters.

I was a very overweight child! :?

Once I left home in my late teens I stuck with this ritual for a few years, but soon realised that if I was eve4 to shift some weight, this would have to change! Did a bit of research, followed a few diets, nothing worked.

So, I decided to follow the 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince...' etc rule. This seems to be much better for my body type and lifestyle. I shed lots of poundage.

These days, particularly since being out of work, breakfast sometimes doesn't happen if I've got to be somewhere early. I almost never have toast now. Too much bread makes me feel sluggish all day. If I do skip breakfast, I carry fruit and a cereal bar with me and loads of water. If I do have breakfast it is a mix of fresh fruit, muesli, perhaps yoghurt, tea.

A midday meal is always lunch.

An evening meal is always dinner.

I restrict myself to one meal a day maximum containing bread, same potato and pasta/noodles, no limit to fruit, cereal or grains. Most days i leave bread alone completely. Anything in between meals as a snack would be yoghurt or fruit or nuts or popcorn. :hungry:

I have never referred to any plate of food as supper, and I am not sure I like the word brunch. Is that breakfast and lunch in one, as in the amount you would eat in two meals eaten in one sitting?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 23rd, 2018, 10:36 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have never referred to any plate of food as supper, and I am not sure I like the word brunch. Is that breakfast and lunch in one, as in the amount you would eat in two meals eaten in one sitting?

As a child in London the evening meal was always supper - it always sounded strange to me when I visited my parents back in UK, but that's what they called it. Now I think of supper as a light snack.
We call our evening meal 'tea' but that's from my OH's family, I think. I think of dinner as a bit more formal, or a meal eaten out.
Brunch to me is a breakfast/lunch at about 11am with enough food to keep you going through the day (like lunch). Not something I've done for a long time.
Breakfast is usually muesli with fruit and soy milk - occasionally toast.
My lunch is often a small piece of toast or a ryvita with cheese and tomato & cucumber - not very exciting I know!! Sometimes a scrambled egg on toast, but not often. OH usually doesn't have lunch so I don't bother much.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 24th, 2018, 7:02 am

We have breakfast usually cereal or toast
Lunch around 12/ 12.30 usually a sandwich
Dinner around 5.30 /6 which is the main meal of the day.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » October 24th, 2018, 7:50 am

It can vary a lot with me, generally speaking though..
Breakfast , cereal/porridge, fresh fruit around 9am

Dinner is around 7.15 and is a 'single dish' (rarely meat and veg as such more bowl food, thai curry, slow cooker all in ones, stir fry, pasta or rissotto style dishes) with fresh fruit after .

Lunch is usually 2 snacks/small dishes throughout day, dried fruit and nuts, muesli bars, soup, tea cake, yoghurt, few cheesy biscuits, bread sticks etc....maybe 1 day a week a sandwich style lunch.

Tea is what I drink, my friend in North eats at 5pm (main meal) and my family in Midlands eat as a bread/cold meat/cheese meal also around 5.

My London friend has supper (main meal at 7 ish) at home but going out to eat in evenings is called dinner.

**all this goes out of window when we are on holidays ,just eat what we want , whenever, and who ever invented 'little plate' ( not tapas, but smaller versions of world cuisine)restaurant places is forever in my thanks, love them.
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 24th, 2018, 9:10 am

I believe calling what I call supper, teacomes from the more norther/Scots tradition of High Tea. In my childhood this was partlicularly so on special occassions from funerals to baptisms and birthdays. In the NE this almost always involved ham, pease puddn' and pickles with a fresh loaf and, in summer spring onions, radishes etc from the allotment. This was always followed by scones, cake, a fruit tart, and a plate of cheese and biscuits. In posher households you might even get bought "fancies", a trifle or tinned fruit and evaporated fruit ( :sprout: )

We are not snackers either so the meals we do have have to keep us going. We both dislike eating late. The only thing I eat late at night - well that's 10.30 for me - is a banana as I need to take a tablet for my arthritis and need something in my tum. Antway it helps me sleep well.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 24th, 2018, 9:10 am

I'm with many here in that I can't eat a big meal at lunchtime - I would be asleep in the afternoon. :lol: Breakfast is usually fruit and yoghurt and maybe some muesli, lunch might be half a round of sandwiches and a coffee and evening meal known as dinner of supper is our main meal. I don't eat anything between meals - never been a snacker except for maybe the occasional bag of crisps or salty popcorn. OH always has two Weetabix and milk for breakfast and has done for 59.5 years :lol: He'll eat a whole round of sandwiches with a bag of crisps for lunch and then his main meal in the evening. If he snacks it is on Brazil nuts which I have to ration him with :D
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 24th, 2018, 9:23 am

There were perfectly good reasons for varying meal names and times originally but as we all meld into one it becomes complicated.

As for the content of the meal, well, my routine with shift work is so haphazard it makes it complicated. I do find it interesting that people say they have 3 meals a day when they have 4. Whatever they call them they have breafast, a light meal and a heavier meal (or two medium ones) and what is now called a snack but used to be 4 o'clock tea with bread and cake or a supper of a milky drink and biscuit, depending on what time you ate the main meals. I think that tea, elevenses, supper etc sounds better than 'snack' which has a naughty ring to it and is often unplanned.

As for the content, I presume we're assuming we are at home and not on the hoof. As a child, the lighter meal consisted of things on toast (beans, egg, tinned spaghetti and cheese, sardines, herring roes, cheese sauce etc etc) and I still like them sometimes. My grandmother, who ate her main meal at midday even when working, always made things like noodles in cheese sauce or chicory wrapped in ham in cheese sauce for supper at 7pm. At boarding school our supper would be things in cheese sauce (egg mornay, macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese) or beefburgers or sausages with tinned beans or tinned spaghetti. I think people generally ate smaller portions in those days so it wasn't excessive. I mention these things because they seem to have been forgotten in the soup and sandwich age.

Lunches at home and at work for me these days are often salads with easy things like eggs or fish or fish fingers or pulses. I really don't tire of them as there are so many different ingredients and things that used to seem exotic readily available. I am quite fond of having medium sized meals for lunch and supper. I like to eat in the evening at about 7pm and enjoy breakfast and lunch being quite late so I don't have to fill the 4pm gap that used to be teatime. I rather like brunch and then a meal at about 4.30pm too but that isn't very socially acceptable! If I have a large lunch it fills me for the rest of the day but large lunches are usually long and lingering with friends and impractical for every day. It fascinates me that my father and most people who worked in London offices in the 50's would go to local restaurants and cafes and have a decent lunch every day in a shortish time. Actually, I can remember going to cafes at lunchtime when I first started work. We're lucky to get a loo break these days!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2018, 9:33 am

Yes, I do things on toast sometimes for my lunch

I think part of my issue with sandwiches is that catering for one I can’t really keep a range of interesting filling ingredients and breads on hand so it can end up being very repetitive
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2018, 10:01 am

re unimaginative lunches, I think while I am at work, it's really a functional thing. Fuel. And what I have is more a matter of what I don't eat than what I do. Due to lack of breakfast I am usally so hungry that almost anything is nice, anyway.

Every now and again I take myself out for lunch and then I will have something really nice (or try to.) I wouldn't 'go out' for a sandwich or soup.

I also occasionally buy street food, but not often. (There is a lot on offer: Leather Lane market is now mostly street food, which I think is a hit of a pity.) It seems to come in huge portions and tends to involve a lot of bread and rice. I suspect it's aimed at the twenty somethings who can and want to eat a lot and indeed who are usually to be found forming very long queues for it at peak times (which also puts me off. I can't be bothered with waiting... I can't believe any of it is really good enough to wait 15 minutes for.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2018, 10:13 am

When I worked in the West End decades ago I had a good old fashioned sandwich bar next door, and I had a different sandwich every lunch time, made to order. Yum. Whatever happened to the traditional London sandwich bar? :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

StokeySue wrote:I think part of my issue with sandwiches is that catering for one I can’t really keep a range of interesting filling ingredients and breads on hand so it can end up being very repetitive

That is more a 'cooking for one' thing isn't it! It is the reason I always feel I am 'eating up' things rather than enjoying some of the more exciting menus people on this board enjoy. Unless one is prepared to buy ready prepared food (expensive) all the time then things that don't freeze or keep well don't feature on the daily menu. I don't see any way round it unless one has a close friend who will share packs of ingredients! At least you can buy things like individual bread rolls.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 24th, 2018, 10:27 am

When I worked in Soho we had the San Marco sandwich bar around the corner in Lexington Street. We'd call in every day for a freshly made sandwich and a packet of crisps each - must have cost us a fortune but it was the 80s and we were earning good money. We have traditional sandwich shops here in Swansea - but they tend to be more filled baguettes and rolls than straight forward sarnies. I can't bear Subway - their fillings are IMO rather bland and the texture is all wrong - don't like their doughy bread either.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

It somewhat amused me that Subway had the fact that their sandwiches are freshly made to order as a selling point when they opened on Leather Lane. At that point this was still the norm (about 7 years ago?)

Round where I work there are still quite a few 'made to order' sandwich places left, often doubling up as greasy spoon type caffs. Many have gone though. Two or three in the last 3 years within very close distance of work. One inparticular I was sad about as it was replaced by a paella place that went bust a few months after it opened. The place has been vacant now since the New Year. Possibly rents too high? Generally the vegetarian offerings of sandwich places tend to be mundane and unimaginative, though, so if I risk a lunchtime sandwich I usually go to Pret or Eat.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

I have tried Subway
The portion is too big but the bread is in fact quite nice, and the choice looks good
Unfortunately the fillings - cold cuts, cheeses etc are of a quality I would not buy in a supermarket no deli would touch them)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

StokeySue wrote:I don't really want to cook 2 full meals a day just for me, but I'd like to get out of the soup - salad - sandwich rut

Could you make some savoury rolls/muffins and freeze them and then defrost/warm as needed? A favourite of ours includes gruyere, chunks of ham, spring onions and chopped green olives. I like these with some salad bits and/or a small mug or bowl of soup.

When i'm bored of regular sandwiches I mix things up by doing a hot quesadilla or panini or flat bread. Most sandwiches are improved greatly with hot melting cheese!

Leftovers are of course an option.

Microwave rice pouch tossed with whatever needs using up? It takes minutes and you could add things which dont need cooking (cold cuts, peppers, cheese, tomatoes, cooked prawns, herbs etc). Or flash fry some cubed chorizo, pancetta, mushrooms, paneer, halloumi etc etc and add spices/herbs/squeeze of lemon for an easy 5 minute lunch option.

If you make mashed potato one night, use baked potatoes with most of the flesh scooped out for your mash. Save the skins to be filled with something for lunch the next day.

Save mini portions of ragu/chilli in the freezer and spoon into a roasted red pepper with the top cut off. I love this when I want something filling but light on carbs.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 24th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Meganthemog wrote: I can't bear Subway

Me neither. I always think Subway smells weird. Puts me off somehow.

Sue, there's also always pies/pasties/scotch eggs, etc, that you could freeze and defrost individually for lunch.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Certainly jacket spuds with a topping / filling are an option - can use leftovers or the usual cheese / beans / tuna etc

I use Zoe Laughlin’s method - make a single cut through the skin all round the equator, rub very lightly with oil and salt and bake at about 130 / 140 C for longer than you’d think, obviously doing a batch while something is in the oven - or a very big batch since they keep a couple of days in the fridge and freeze well, can be nuked from frozen to reheat

I keep meaning to try making more savoury muffins , back to soup of course as I think that’s the only way I’d enjoy them, but certainly adding variety to the soups

But the problem remains that the single person doesn’t tend to have a supply of cold cuts and bits
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 24th, 2018, 2:38 pm

I live oop North, so it's brekkie in the morning, dinner in the middle of the day, tea in the evening and sometimes supper at night.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2018, 2:49 pm

I was thinking about the evening meal being known as tea as being a northern thing. My family have no northern connections but it was always tea. I wonder where we picked that up from. It was a term always used in the living room on TV sitcom The Royle Family (northern) when Denise and Dave visited. 'What did you have for your tea?' :lol:

I agree that things do go out of kilter when feeding one. Throw in shift work too and I don't know how you do it EM but I guess you just get used to it.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 24th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I am sure that tea has always been a meal had from 4pm to 6pm. What you ate for that meal differed depending on whether you had just come in after a long day of manual labour and needed a substantial feed or whether you were having something to tide you over until evening dinner at about 7 or 8pm. The more substantial one used to be called high tea (because you sat at the table) or a meat tea because it was more than just bread and jam. We still called it high tea when I was growing up to differentiate from 'low' tea which was just called tea. I imagine it just got shortened to tea after a while. Funny really as tea was originally a rich man's drink. I wonder what the meal taken at the end of a working day was called before that. Supper maybe? People probably went to bed earlier before there was good lighting, especially if they were up early to tend animals or staff large establishments.

In Australia you have morning tea (elevenses), afternoon tea (tea and cake) and tea (the evening meal) :?

We seem to have got quite a few ideas for meals anyway!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2018, 6:21 pm

My father used to have a slice of cheese on toast with a slice of salami/garlic suasage under the cheese every single day for about 20 years! My mother never touched either the cheese or the sausage so the latter must have kept well. (My father never washed his cheese box out either :shock: )

Alpine eggs (eggs baked in cheese) make a quick no fuss lunch if you are at home. You could probably do a quick shakshuka too (or oven equivalent.)
Pancake with savoury topping/filling?
Something lentil based maybe (with ready cooked Puy lentils.)

I used to have baked potatoes a lot when I was a student. I seem to hvae forgotten about them. I must have one for dinner one night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 24th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Grasshopper wrote:tea in the evening

We had tuna pasta bake & salad tonite - YUM! :chops:

:chops:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2018, 9:11 pm

I had jacket potato for dinner tonight with Marmite, beetroot, baby carrots, broccoli, baked beans and salad cream. A bit of a 'use it up' meal. I was cooking for one. Good job really! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 24th, 2018, 10:07 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I had jacket potato for dinner tonight with Marmite, beetroot, baby carrots, broccoli, baked beans and salad cream. A bit of a 'use it up' meal. I was cooking for one. Good job really! :lol:

:shock:
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2018, 10:19 pm

I have never thought of putting marmite on a baked spud -beans, check; assorted veg with, check; even salad cream, after all mayo goes into a lot of standard toppings, but Marmite :o :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 24th, 2018, 11:01 pm

earthmaiden wrote:In Australia you have morning tea (elevenses), afternoon tea (tea and cake) and tea (the evening meal)

'Elevenses' sounds very English!!! Certainly not a word I've heard over here!
Most people here now have morning coffee - can't remember how many coffees are sold each day but it's going up all the time!!

We certainly call the evening meal tea, but I wasn't sure if that's the norm here. The 'Moving to Australia' website tells me that Australians have 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 25th, 2018, 6:59 am

Ha ha Rainbow! When I was over earlier in the year my old school friends still said 'morning tea' even though we drank coffee. It was even advertised as such in our school reunion programme which made me smile. I did notice that they seemed to call the evening meal 'dinner' though. This is a group of girls who live all over Queensland & NSW now ... but we're all over 60 so maybe that makes a difference!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 25th, 2018, 7:03 am

On coffee and Australia... I have been in a couple (just a couple) of Australian owned coffee places in London and they have offered me coffee before and with a meal. Is that an Australian thing, or just a coincidence, Rainbow?

Tea to me is a lightish late afternoon meal. Baked beans on toast sort of thing when I was a child and couldn't wait for my father to get home. Both my parents are from the north, but in the one case (half) middle class, and the other, working class but aspiring to middle classness. I think the class aspect may have been relevant to what you call it 'up there'. I was reading about the history of this the other day. I think afternoon tea arose because the (wealthy) middle classes started eating later at night with the advent of electricty, which lengthened the evening, thus requiring a stop gap betweeen lunch and dinner. I'd have to double check this.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 25th, 2018, 8:09 am

I love how this topic has become a real history lesson. So much detail collected in a short space of time.:tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » October 25th, 2018, 8:46 am

I think it's fair to say that other than breakfast we differ in the names of other meals, much the same as in what is a 'bread roll' called :D

For the record lunch is eaten mid day and I either use dinner or tea in the home interchangeably depending on who I'm talking to. Supper is a light snack later in the evening, which I rarely have nowadays as I tend not to eat much before 8pm.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2018, 9:02 am

We have breakfast and a light lunch ... we have our main meal n the evening and it's called supper ... a one or two course meal eaten usually between 6 and 7, depending on OH's hunger (he has hollow legs and requires frequent stoking ... never known anyone with such a fast metabolism).

Dinner would be a three course meal eaten at around 8pm ... usually with guests.

When we were children living on the farm we had cereals then an egg dish of some sort for breakfast (poached or scrambled on toast etc or the full English). When at the village school we came home for a midday meal and this would be a cooked two course meal and was called 'dinner' ... meat and two or three veg followed by a hot pudding. We would then have 'tea' at five o'clock ... usually something like cold meat, salad/pickles, jacket potato in the summer or macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese, leftovers turned into bubble & squeak, rissoles etc or homemade soup etc in the winter with bread and butter and followed by homemade cake. Later when we were at schools further away, the midday meal we had at school was still regarded as our 'dinner' and the main meal of the day.

Pa would often go back out to work on the farm after tea and would have a 'supper' of bread & cheese or cereals when he came in later. As we got older and stayed up later we could have cereals before bedtime if we were hungry.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 25th, 2018, 9:18 am

I have some short descriptions of Edwardian meals from my great Auntie Violet's 'autobiography'. (In inverted commas, as she didn't get very far with it and it's written on the backs of old envelopes :) We should all do one, though.) Her father and grandparents were arable farmers, although they also kept livestock for personal use.

breakfast: "by the time the men came in to breakfast it was ready to boil the iron kettle, fry the home-cured bacon and fresh farm eggs, at the same time, heating the water in the boiler for washing up etc. They ate voraciously; large portions of bacon with perhaps a couple of eggs, and thick slices of home baked bread dipped in the sizzling bacon fat. They drank very strong tea."

Sunday lunch at her grandmother's on the Isle of Axholme: "The Sunday joint of succulent roast beef and Yorkshire pudding baked in a tin and served straight from the oven, with rich brown gravy, was considered the culinary highlight of the week, and with home grown vegetables in great variety, and pies of fruit in syrup, also from the garden, rightly so... Cream was a luxury in more ways than one; too expensive and too rich for our digestion, so we ate the delicious thin pastry with heaps of syrupy fruit alone."

Then later in the day:
"Tea-time and piles of home-made bread and butter and tarts and cheesecake and the large sponge sandwich to follow. (“You must eat your bread and butter first!”)"

Also:
"At Christmas time when we killed our domestic pig, after the hams and sides had been salted down by my father, she made pork pies, sausages seasoned with sage, etc., real farmhouse mincemeat, delicious scraps - bits of hard fat remaining when this had been 'rendered' down for lard. They were 'browned' and eaten with salt. On Thursday - baking day. The scrubbed white kitchen table (after being used for pastry -rolling, egg whisking - it took 15 minutes to beat the eggs for a sponge cake, done while the dough, previously kneaded, and set in a huge yellow 'panshal' ? (bowl) before the kitchen fire to rise, and all the other numerous culinary tasks) was full of enough loaves and pies, deep pastry custards, scones, fairy cakes, jam etc. to last a week. Several weeks before Christmas, the plum pudding was ceremoniously stirred, tied in its cloth, and boiled in the scullery copper, and the Christmas cake was baked ready for decorating at a later date." (Punctuation, Auntie Vi's.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2018, 9:30 am

At home it would have been breakfast, dinner and tea. My nan would have had her main meal around midday and a sandwich later on. Mum and dad would have had their main meal in the evening after work but that was still called tea. Supper would have been an extra something (almost invariably cheese on toast) for me later on if I were hungry (mum used to worry as I didn't eat much. I have grown out of that phase :D )

These days it's breakfast, lunch and dinner. Gentrification I suppose. Our lighter meal is usually early afternoon, often based upon leftovers, but also the usual suspects of HM soup, jackets, things on toast. If I make a loaf we have it fresh for lunch. If we haven't got any soup, Mrs B prefers butter and HM jam whereas I would typically open a tin of mackerel to go with mine.

If we're out for the day and take a picnic or a packed lunch, I generally over cater. The leftovers are consumed back home with crisps, pickles, dips or salads and then it might well be called tea.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 25th, 2018, 12:48 pm

It has changed somewhat in France too. Petit dejeuner is still a hot drink with bread and jam or honey to dip in it but these days cereal is often added or substituted.
Dejeuner used to be the main meal in many country families but the 2 hour break to eat it and have a rest afterwrads has largely disappeared except in schools. Nearl always 3 courses with starter, main and then either cheese or dessert. The local schools lunchtime menus are impressive. Many business people still go out for lunch, perhaps with colloeagues or to meet clients and the farmers and vignerons have a longish lunch beginning at noon because they start so early. However an increasing number of peole just grab an sandwich these days.

Gouter is a snack when the children come home from school at about 5.00pm. Chcolate often features. it always used to be a piece of chocolate in a chunk of baguette.

If one has eaten substantially at noon the evening meal is souper - to take soup, tardDinner happens in posh households and on high day's days and holidays but lunch is still the main meal on Sundays, usually with family and/or friends and often extends into the evening with more drinks and nibbles.

The French are not, in the main, snackers and after Sunday lunch especially the whole family will go out for a walk or to play boules.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 25th, 2018, 6:45 pm

A friend who lived in Germany for several years explained about 'second breakfast'. The first being something light before an early start, especially farming communities etc and the second a spread of breads, cold meats, cheeses etc., I believe at about 9am. She once hosted a second breakfast for a group of us for a treat.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with German life can explain how it fits in with a modern working day and what and when other meals are eaten
It seemed to still be going strong when they left 10 years ago.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 25th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I hadn't heard about the second breakfast, EM, but I remember from when I was a student in Germany, a friend explained "Abendbrot" to me. It literally means "evening bread" and refers to the cold evening meal - rye bread, cheese, cold meats, pickles etc - as most people ate "hot" at their workplaces at lunchtime.

This was ages ago and I have no idea how things have changed, but these friends were very anxious not to deny me my "hot" evening meal as they understood that was when we ate our main meal of the day in England and so they made a huge effort to offer me something "hot" in the evenings when I was staying with them!
KC2
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 25th, 2018, 8:11 pm

StokeySue wrote:I have never thought of putting marmite on a baked spud -beans, check; assorted veg with, check; even salad cream, after all mayo goes into a lot of standard toppings, but Marmite :o :lol:

OMG - sounds awful! :sprout:

:sprout:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 25th, 2018, 9:07 pm

In a previous life I spent a bit of time with colleagues in Frankfurt.
They used to have second breakfast, slightly more substantial than elevenses I seem to remember.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 25th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Marmite on a spud honestly works! Same as it works on crumpets, in crisps, rice cakes, I have Marmite cheese in my fridge, added to cheese straws, Marmite Twiglets. I'd slap it on everything if I could. :luv: :hungry:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop