Lunch, Supper or Tea - the third meal of the day

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Lunch, Supper or Tea - the third meal of the day

Postby Rainbow » October 25th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Herbidacious wrote:On coffee and Australia... I have been in a couple (just a couple) of Australian owned coffee places in London and they have offered me coffee before and with a meal. Is that an Australian thing, or just a coincidence, Rainbow?

Hi Herbi. It's not something I've come across but we usually just go for a coffee mid-morning with a cake/muffin, not a meal. Don't do it too often, except on holidays, and rarely go out for a meal. So I'm not the best person to answer that question, I'm afraid!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 26th, 2018, 11:19 am

Marmite on crumpets is delicious.
As is butter and Colman's English mustard - come to think of it, I like butter & mustard on toast as well.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2018, 12:26 pm

earthmaiden wrote:A friend who lived in Germany for several years explained about 'second breakfast'. The first being something light before an early start, especially farming communities etc and the second a spread of breads, cold meats, cheeses etc., I believe at about 9am.

Years ago I knew an elderly gentleman who'd been a horseman on a farm in the first half of the 1900s ... he said they'd be up early to groom and feed the horses so they'd have milky sweet tea and bread (tea and sops) before going out to the horses ... seeing to the horses and then giving the horses time to digest their feed would take time, so the horsemen would then be given breakfast (bread and cheese or cold meat) in back'us at the the farmhouse kitchen door before going back to the stable yard to harness the horses and get on with the day's work. Maybe that was the origin of the second breakfast?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 26th, 2018, 12:29 pm

What do you mean you've never heard of second breakfasts? Have you never met a Hobbit? Jules the cat has another name Hobbit Cat because he always asks for a second morning meal!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Of course Rats ... Hobbits are countryfolk ... from The Shire ... they do things the country way ... :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 26th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Rats :lol:

Yes Suffs, I think that was exactly it. I think that the German day may start earlier than ours even nowadays (school and office hours etc).It is interesting that people's experiences vary. This was a family with two children who went to the suburbs of Stuttgart and joined in with the life of school and work colleagues.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Ratatouille wrote:What do you mean you've never heard of second breakfasts? Have you never met a Hobbit?

:tu: :D

People after my own heart are hobbits. Indeed, I think I may be one.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:What do you mean you've never heard of second breakfasts? Have you never met a Hobbit?

I know that I am ... it's the hairy feet that give us away :rolleyes: :oops: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 26th, 2018, 6:32 pm

DS lives in a beautiful valley in Jersey and everyone calls it The Shire -. I haven't inspected his feet for some time but the first book he ever read - he was a VERY reluctant reader -was The Hobbit. He was 9.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

when my young were early morning swimming training they always required first and second breakfast (5.30am and 8.30am) and on days when gymnastics was also attended first and second tea would be had( before being back in the water for evening training). not to mention lunch and dinner (when we got home at about 10.30pm).
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 27th, 2018, 3:32 pm

scullion wrote:when my young were early morning swimming training they always required first and second breakfast (5.30am and 8.30am) and on days when gymnastics was also attended first and second tea would be had( before being back in the water for evening training). not to mention lunch and dinner (when we got home at about 10.30pm).

Impressive training routine, scully! Have they kept it up?
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2018, 5:10 pm

not competitively - work gets in the way now, although my daughter did used to go before work - before she changed profession and no longer near enough to a pool. my son throws himself into the sea when he gets time - and its not too cold.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm

In my family it has always been breakfast lunch and dinner. I never ate breakfast, I don't actually think any of us did. Lunch was generally a sandwich or roll to take to school with some fruit and a yoghurt. If my nanna had made a fruit cake or flapjacks then we would take some of that too. At the weekend or in the school holidays lunch was never planned it was a case of help yourself and again would be a sandwich, or soup, a small jacket or cheese on toast, something along those lines and usually around 1pm ish. Most of the time though I was playing in tournaments and food fitted in around match times. In term time I would generally have a sandwich when i got home from school to eat in the car on the way to training, then dinner would be around 9:00-10:00 pm depending on what time I was home and where I was training. If I wasn't training then dinner was between 8:00-9:00. If my training was at 9-11pm then I would have dinner around 7:15 then have a bowl of cereal around midnight when I got home. We rarely had pudding unless my nanna had made a roast on a sunday. If she did and it was eaten around 2pm then evening meal was tea. Generally this would be the meat from the roast in a sandwich or salad with a hot mug of bovril
Catherine
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 27th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Thinking back when I was growing up it varied depending on when you ate your main meal which was always called dinner (usually two courses) so either breakfast/dinner/tea/supper or breakfast/lunch/dinner/supper. Supper was usually a hot drink & toast or a biscuit just before bed. Just to confuse things sometimes a "high tea" replaced an evening dinner which tended to be eaten out and featured "something & chips"or welsh rarebit or similiar followed by teabreads & cakes. "High tea" was a treat and very much enjoyed. :D
It was always "morning coffee" mid-morning even if tea was drunk and afternoon tea even if coffee was drunk, a small piece of homebaking or biscuits would feature at both. When I was at Primary school the day ran from 9-4.15 with an hour and half for lunch as most kids went home to eat. There was a break mid morning and mid afternoon - both involved drink + snack usually squash in a tupperware cup with a lid plus either a piece of fruit or more often a piece of homebaking or 1/2 slice of bread with jam folded into a sandwich. It seems like a lot of meals but portions were defintely much smaller :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 27th, 2018, 8:18 pm

At my primary school dinner time was 1200 - 1330 and most of us went home for our main meal.
I have just remembered that my mother used to give me 2 biscuits in a paper bag to be eaten with my milk.
It was referred to as my "lunch"
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 27th, 2018, 9:14 pm

When i was about 12 and got home from school around 4.15 and tea/supper/dinner wasn't until after 6.30pm I used to have 2/3 digestive biscuits and a glass of ice cold milk. At that time I can remember enjoying it more than any other food eaten...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2018, 7:13 am

Love plain digestives and a glass of cold milk ...( but unless we were away from home we only had really cold milk in the winter as Ma didn’t get a fridge until the 70s)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2018, 1:08 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Growing up, we always had two slices of toast for breakfast before school. Never cereal. A meal around midday was referred to as dinner, possibly because five days out of seven this was a school 'dinner'. This was usually a cooked meal or salad. A meal in the evening was referred to as tea. This was generally another cooked meal. Usually meat and two veg. Anything sweet to follow was called afters.

Apart from breakfast which for us was probably porridge rather than toast, our meals were exactly the same and called the same. These days I don't eat before 10 am (unless you count my daily glass of kefir each morning). On the days I am in the shop, I take along an oat smoothie (the only sweet thing being a couple of organic apricots) and usually a hard boiled egg with some tomatoes for lunch, but then when I get home, I am usually starving, so have a snack then (my favourite being cheese on toast). I would eat a more substantial meal around 6 pm. If I ate any later, I would be awake all night trying to digest it ! :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2018, 1:47 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Marmite on a spud honestly works! Same as it works on crumpets, in crisps, rice cakes, I have Marmite cheese in my fridge, added to cheese straws, Marmite Twiglets. I'd slap it on everything if I could. :luv: :hungry:

Only on toast or Ryvita in this house … oh and Twiglets ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 31st, 2018, 7:09 pm

suffolk wrote:
Seatallan wrote:

I know that I am ... it's the hairy feet that give us away :rolleyes: :oops: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 1st, 2018, 1:42 am

I am appallingly erratic with meals. I can remember my first year at university, when we ate breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and a late night curry/chinese/turkish, but unfortunately those days are well past.
These days I try very hard to have a good breakfast. Sometimes, this does not come to pass, so I soldier on until lunchtime-
The days that I manage a good breakfast, it depends on what I´m doing as to whether I have a good lunch or not. A good breakfast can last me until 4-5pm; then I make sure I have a faceful. For example: I have a Food Course - so I don´t have breakfast until 9 - 9.30. Usually an omelette. I - taste all the food I´m preparing, so my stomach believes it´s full , but it´s not. 5- 6-7pm, I´ll have a full meal.
Wierd, yeah?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 1st, 2018, 8:12 am

Back to marmite - how do you actually put it on a potato?! It's not something you can eat my the dollopful. Little specs? Does it melt? I suppose it might be beaten into butter... It's very nice on toast with a poached egg or cheese no top btw :) Not had either of those for years.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2018, 9:36 am

I like Marmite with jacket potato. I would scoop out the filling and being greedy would mash with butter and Marmite and even cheese as well sometimes and then put it back into the skins. The amount you use I suppose is the amount you like, obviously not a huge amount, probably a bit more or the same as you'd put on toast.

The Marmite discussion here has surprised me. It's nice stirred into rice too - if you like Marmite!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 2nd, 2018, 9:00 pm

Herbie - you need to buy the squeezy bottle. that´ll fix it for the potatoes!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » November 2nd, 2018, 10:03 pm

In the winter I stick the jar of marmite in the microwave for a few seconds and then it's easier to spread on my toast.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 3rd, 2018, 9:35 pm

Love Marmite on buttered toast but it has to be accompanied by tea.
Coffee just doesn't work with Marmite.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 3rd, 2018, 10:09 pm

I agree that Marmite doesn't work with coffee. :sprout: Earl grey or grapefruit juice for me!

On a spud I scrape butter on with a knife into a squeezed cross cut and then dollop about the same amount of Marmite on top of that. It does sort of melt in with the butter if you then pour piping hot baked beans over it. :hungry:

I've never tried it with rice so that will have to be rectified!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 4th, 2018, 6:38 am

This thread has reminded me of times when dripping on toast was considered a tea/supper/snack on a Sunday evening. It was fine if it had been a beef roast because dripping was plentiful but if not then beef dripping was 'made' by crumbling an oxo cube into rendered fat then spreading that on toast. The effect was very similar. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2018, 7:42 am

Zosh - you have just reminded me that in the eighties growing up my mum was still saving the fat from a roast in a little dish every Sunday. I presume my grandparents did exactly that also and my mum carried the practice on, but I have not one single memory of us ever eating it. It just sat in the fridge with little bits of roasted meat or potato congealed on top. :sprout: I bet it would have tasted a lot better than it looked on toast!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2018, 8:20 am

I always save the fat from a roast. I use it when browning meat and veg for a casserole, add it to the tray when roasting potatoes and Yorkshire puds etc, and if the jellified meat juices don't get spread on hot toast they’re used as the base for gravy. I never ever throw it away. Why waste all that flavour?! :shock:
Last edited by suffolk on November 4th, 2018, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

I imagine that most people of a certain age were brought up to save fat. My mother saved fat from everything and used it in everyday frying of eggs and things. As we had a small shop there was sometimes a large lump of fat left at the end of a ham. It sat in the pan and rendered down a bit every time it was used. I learned at an early age which fats I liked best and which I hated. I hated the ham. Sausage fat was and is the best and worthy of spreading on toast!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 4th, 2018, 10:06 am

I save the dripping from a roast. I have a stoneware jar that belonged to my Gran which says dripping , so that's what it gets used for. Especially with beef I also do what Gran used to give me as a treat while she was cooking the roast. She would cut a chunk of bread and put it alongside the roasting meat until it got crispy on one side and soaked up some of the juices underneath. Mum used to get very cross with her for spoiling my dinner . Mr R hates fat because he was always made to eat it by his father even when it was horrid and flabby - as on cold ham These days I have persuaded him to try crackling though..
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2018, 10:09 am

Ratatouille wrote: She would cut a chunk of bread and put it alongside the roasting meat until it got crispy on one side and soaked up some of the juices underneath.

:drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 4th, 2018, 11:02 am

I still have what I call a 'fat pot' in the fridge and as you say, I use it for frying eggs or fried potatoes where you want a bit more flavour. On the odd occasion I put a smattering (and I mean a very little) on a slice of bread and put it in the toaster for fried bread, but you do have to be careful. I have never blown myself up yet !!! :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 4th, 2018, 11:50 am

Ratatouille wrote:I save the dripping from a roast. I have a stoneware jar that belonged to my Gran which says dripping , so that's what it gets used for. Especially with beef I also do what Gran used to give me as a treat while she was cooking the roast. She would cut a chunk of bread and put it alongside the roasting meat until it got crispy on one side and soaked up some of the juices underneath. Mum used to get very cross with her for spoiling my dinner . Mr R hates fat because he was always made to eat it by his father even when it was horrid and flabby - as on cold ham These days I have persuaded him to try crackling though..

Yes, I think my earliest memory is being carried through to the kitchen by my Nana, and given a ‘heel ‘ of bread dipped in the brown tasty bits in the roasting dish,. My Mother didn’t worry about it spoiling my dinner, but always said she needed all the dripping for the gravy.
It occurs to me now, that they must have been quite large joints of beef and probably had more fat on them than we get now. Even a family sized quite fatty rib of beef doesn’t seem to produce much dripping, though I think we don’t cook beef as slowly as they must have done then.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2018, 11:51 am

Zosherooney wrote:I still have what I call a 'fat pot' in the fridge and as you say, I use it for frying eggs or fried potatoes where you want a bit more flavour.

Snap! :D :tu:

And I love dripping on toast... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Do you mix drippings from different meats? I like to keep them separate, then find myself throwing it out anyway because I haven’t needed chicken schmalta or beef fat or whatever
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » November 4th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Very difficult to get fat from a joint now unless there's a decent butcher in the area, which I don't. Even the butchers in Leeds market tend to sell joints with most of the fat trimmed off. Don't get me started on supermarket joints where the only fat is some on the top which has been added and dissolves as soon as it goes in the oven. Jelly from a roast chicken also seems to be less now as well.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 4th, 2018, 2:59 pm

StokeySue wrote:Do you mix drippings from different meats? I like to keep them separate, then find myself throwing it out anyway because I haven’t needed chicken schmalta or beef fat or whatever

No, I don’t mix different fats, but I never have much anyway as I almost always make gravy with the pan juices, and as nlb says, there’s never much fat anyway...perhaps from belly pork or chicken, but that’s mostly the cooking butter really.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Amber » November 5th, 2018, 11:36 pm

I love dripping...but we never have a roast these days :? .
Amber
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 6th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Re Marmite. I have always mixed Marmite into butter for spreading in sandwiches an on toast - that way you get an even spread and not 'hot spots'. I started doing this when DD was a baby and have continued with GS - he loves my Marmite soldiers.
I also collect the jelly from the chicken - I find that if I buy a FR chicken from the market I get lots of lovely jelly but not so with a supermarket one.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 6th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I also collect the jelly from the chicken - I find that if I buy a FR chicken from the market I get lots of lovely jelly but not so with a supermarket one.

We've found we get a reasonable amount of jelly from supermarket chickens - it's wonderful in a baguette with the cold chicken, salad and hellman's ... especially if we've roasted the chicken with lots and lots of garlic ... :chops:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2018, 6:43 pm

If you cook a chicken 'dry' in a slow cooker (I just add the juice of a lemon and put the skin and some garlic in the cavity) it makes superb jelly even with a mediocre chicken.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 6th, 2018, 7:52 pm

The last chicken I cooked I got a load of jelly and a bit of fat, both got used as the base for a chicken and mushroom fricassee to finish the cooked meat
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop