Christmas - advice ...

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Christmas - advice ...

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Hello, sorry to raise the C word ... but I would appreciate some advice!

I was thinking about getting this: https://bit.ly/2qpTJ4k

The cooking instructions (under product details) say to roast it for 1hr 45mins on what seems to me to be a pretty lowish oven - 150 degrees fan - and letting it stand for 15 mins.

But roast potatoes require a much higher temperature - how would you juggle the different requirements? Fan ovens are supposed to have even heat distribution, aren't they, so you don't get the hotter and colder levels.
I guess simply letting it rest for longer, and having put the pots in earlier, then ramping up the heat to brown them while the meat is having its longer rest?

The last few years we've had a Waitrose 3 bird roast which needed a higher temp and longer resting, so the problem didn't arise.
Unfortunately they are not offering it again this year.

I think I usually do my roast carrots and parsnips a bit hotter too but they don't need to be crispy, like roasties do!

Any thoughts? Cheers, and thanks!
KC2
Registered

Re: Christmas - advice ...

Postby Suelle » November 4th, 2018, 8:14 pm

I guess simply letting it rest for longer, and having put the pots in earlier, then ramping up the heat to brown them while the meat is having its longer rest?

That's what I'd do - once the meat is out of the oven, cover it with foil, then a couple of thick towels, and it will keep warm long enough. If you give the potatoes an extra 15 minutes at the lower temperature, then 30 minutes at the higher heat should be enough to crisp them up.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby dennispc » November 4th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Roast potatoes day before and re-roast briefly or a month before and freeze.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Thanks!

dennispc, I've never tried roasting and re-roasting, I must say. I might experiment!

Suelle, good idea about the towels :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 7th, 2018, 12:09 am

KC2, Lidl do a 5 bird roast if you were looking for one specifically. They have them in already so you could give it a try now and see what you think
Catherine
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 7th, 2018, 8:32 am

Catherine wrote:KC2, Lidl do a 5 bird roast if you were looking for one specifically. They have them in already so you could give it a try now and see what you think

Thanks Catherine, that's good to know. I didn't know they were doing one this year - I've tried to get it in the past without success as they never seemed to be in stock whenever I went and of course you can't check beforehand!
KC2
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 7th, 2018, 6:06 pm

KC2 wrote:
Catherine wrote:KC2, Lidl do a 5 bird roast if you were looking for one specifically. They have them in already so you could give it a try now and see what you think

Thanks Catherine, that's good to know. I didn't know they were doing one this year - I've tried to get it in the past without success as they never seemed to be in stock whenever I went and of course you can't check beforehand!

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Christmas-Meal-15964.htm
Catherine
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 9th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Cheers, Catherine, it looks like really good value too - if only it was possible to check if it's actually in stock! Unfortunately I'm nowhere near a Lidl, so it means making a special journey.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm

I had half seen it on TV I think before it was pulled but only the verse had got through
It should perhaps be pointed out that there is a small amount of sustainable palm oil produced, mainly on disused rubber plantations, but as I have said before, flying over areas of oli palm monoculture is sacry, so much of it, so uniform

Here's the film, it's good.. Another good narration - Emma Thompson I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpspllWI2o

Not sure how II did this - was reply to mum-at-the*oven on Chatterbox. Won't delete as people have replied
Last edited by StokeySue on November 9th, 2018, 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 9th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Sue … I am confused about your comment above … on the wrong thread I think ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 9th, 2018, 3:21 pm

KC2 wrote:Cheers, Catherine, it looks like really good value too - if only it was possible to check if it's actually in stock! Unfortunately I'm nowhere near a Lidl, so it means making a special journey.

Shame I didn't see your post before I went to Zumba this morning KC2 .... I could have popped into my local Lidl while I was out and about sourcing bathroom tiles (a long story) .... I can probably pop along tomorrow, shall I buy one if I see one and pop straight into my freezer ? I don't think we are a million miles away from each other, perhaps meet in Uxbridge at your convenience ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Hi Patsy, what a great idea! Thank you! Funnily enough I was thinking about friends who've got a Lidl closer than me and who I'll be seeing and I've texted one to arrange a pre-Christmas catch - up ... if that doesn't work out, I'll be back to take you up on your offer! Unless it's something you'd use regardless, let me get back to you when I hear back from my friend.

I've reserved the Waitrose one to be safe as you have to book it early to get a decent pick-up time at the local Little Waitrose at the end of our road but tbh I'd be delighted to have the Lidl one anyway! The price is incredible .... and we'll certainly eat both!
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop