Food Banks

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Food Banks

Postby Bubbles » November 8th, 2018, 3:54 pm

I know we have discussed food banks before but I have a specific question. My nearest one is in Waitrose but I also shop elsewhere depending on my mood or my whereabouts on the day. I live a few miles outside a large town so have lots to choose from. :D While out and about, I often pick up items to donate eg yesterday, breakfast bars, orange juice and instant coffee. I take these into Waitrose and drop them into the container. Is this ok? Or should I only buy products in Waitrose? What do you think people?
Bubbles
Registered

Re: Food Banks

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Morally I can't see a problem ... however you'd need to ask at W'rose Customer Services to find out whether they have a problem with it. I hope they don't. :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 4:10 pm

It depends on the individual supermarket / food bank combo. There have been cases of supermarkets (never as far as I know Waitrose) trying to stop people dropping off products from elsewhere, but a lot of collection points are at churches, non-food shops or the banks themselves and obviously those will take anything and everything so it isn’t reasonable to stop people dropping other stuff

When I cleared out Mum’s kitchen all the shelves above her rather low eye level were full of cans. Some I ate, some I discarded, most of the in-date stuff went to a supermarket collection point, and nobody objected to me bringing a couple of large carrier bags in from outside.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

I happily drop food from other sources into whatever donation point I'm near - Waitrose is my most convenient. Our Food Bank gets a lot from Aldi, which doesn't have a collection point, but the Sainsbury's opposite does, so I guess it gets dropped off there. Our Food Bank also gets a lot of out of date stuff, which definitely hasn't been bought in the store that the collection comes from! :rolleyes:

The Food Bank certainly won't object - the collection points are Food Bank receptacles, not a 'Waitrose for the local Food Bank' container, although we do let collection points know how much has been donated (by weight).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Bubbles » November 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm

As the container is directly in front of the checkouts, I usually try and be as unobtrusive as I can, but I will ask at cust svs next time I'm in. Good idea!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

I'm with Sue on everything she has said.

I mean, if you dropped off Heinz baked beans for example, you could have originally bought those from any food outlet.

I went along to our Salvation Army last week to enquire about volunteering at their soup kitchen. As it happens, their soup kitchen day clashes with another commitment at the moment so I can't do it, but they have asked if I ever have any spare time I can always help them go through checking dates on food donations, something which I gather is a round the clock operation, taking out anything which is out of date.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2018, 6:45 pm

I just put things into a carrier bag if they have not been bought at that store. They aren't so obvious then! Donating shouldn't be made difficult.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Bubbles wrote: While out and about, I often pick up items to donate eg yesterday, breakfast bars, orange juice and instant coffee. I take these into Waitrose and drop them into the container. Is this ok? Or should I only buy products in Waitrose?

A kind visitor left behind about three tons of some pulse from Tesco. Waitrose didn't have the food collection box out so I asked and was thanked effusively for my donation - I felt a bit of a fraud about that, I was glad to be rid of it. So yes, just dump it in.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop