The nightmare before Christmas!!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: The nightmare before Christmas!!

Postby Zosherooney » December 22nd, 2018, 12:07 am

Simp. We try and focus on the positive, yes, everything is all over the place ATM but it is do-able. All my utility contents are in the front porch and other stuff is decanted in various places, it's just trying to remember where everything is when you want it !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 22nd, 2018, 2:37 pm

I know that feeling. It was bad enough before we had to do the emergency clear-out when they found the rotten roof. :(

But the skip has been taken away, and the protective tape has come off the windows. We have our first unobstructed view of the front of the house. Still some tidying and cleaning, but that won't happen until the side extension has been completed in January.

IMG_1774.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg (27.65 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 8th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Things have moved on a bit. Last week the back of the house was painted and is looking 'quite nice"!! :) This week the guys have been digging the footings for the room that's replacing the garage. The concrete was poured this afternoon.

No more excavations!! The only way is up. That and some internal painting!! :)

IMG_1798.JPG
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2019, 8:05 am

It’s looking good Will :D :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

We're happy so far. Inside painting is in progress. The concrete on the side extension is setting today. It's a substantial foundation for the wall. 2ft wide x 3ft deep, then we have to build the wall up to our ground level. We are on a steep hill and the neighbour's path is 2'-6" below our ground level.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 9th, 2019, 9:16 am

What wonderful space you're going to have! The upheaval to your existing space doesn't seem to have been really awful either. You must be very pleased.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 9th, 2019, 10:03 am

Looking good Will :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm

The roof space will finally become useful after being full of rubbish for 40 years, and 20 years with squirrel damage!! :o

Today they have been building the wall for the side extension. it will be quite a narrow room, about 6ft wide x 20ft long. But we plan to use it as a kind of library - my maps, her music - so more of a corridor with bookcases! :)

Here's a picture of the roof room. Almost finished, just some painting and flooring to do, but that will wait for a raining day when they can't get on outside. The only downside of the room is that it has to contain the two water tanks as we have the traditional water system in the house. But they are tucked into the corner.

IMG_1847.JPG

But the footings for the side extension came with their own laser show!! :)

IMG_1845.JPG
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 22nd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Snow has caused the work to stop early. We were planning to have a covered roof by tonight...

IMG_1897.jpg

It's carried on snowing since the photo was taken and there's quite a good covering now.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 22nd, 2019, 11:09 pm

What a shame! Hopefully it won't last long.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 23rd, 2019, 9:01 am

I looked out of the window this morning and saw that the snow was still thick on the new, and newly insulated flat roof, so I went outside to check that the new roof on the house was better insulated than the older roofs on the neighbours houses. It wasn't!! Our roof was almost clear and theirs were covered in snow!! :o

Then I realised that our new tiles are smooth and slippery and all the neighbours houses have gritty sand-faced tiles!! :

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 23rd, 2019, 11:51 am

You need one of those things which measures heat in colour (what are they called?)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2019, 11:56 am

Thermographic cameras?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 23rd, 2019, 12:04 pm

:tu:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 23rd, 2019, 1:14 pm

We are in the dry but no tiles until Monday, windows coming next week too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

The builders had a day off yesterday due to the snow covering everything. Back today, but the Travis Perkins delivery arrived before they did. So I had to remember my site supervision duties from years ago... :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » January 25th, 2019, 6:19 am

Our sand arrived before dark and driver was instructed as to the location it had to be dumped. We have a large drive and it never ceases to amaze me how much 'stuff' we have on site. Our (only) vehicle spends most of its time parked in our lovely neighbours drive. I suppose our drive is actually a small builders yard. This outfit are not the tidiest but at least they get more done than the last lot.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 7th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Getting to the end of the road. :)

The side extension that replaced the garage is structurally complete and roofed. Just awaiting the plasterers on Monday to do the inside. Plumbers came this morning and we have heating in there. Fencing is in progress and the garden wall is finished. Then just the painting of the extension and the paving of the driveway, and some odds and sods.

IMG_1985.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 12th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Very close to completion!! :)

We have a drive and a path!!

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2046.jpg

Electrician finishes tomorrow. Then touching up the paintwork and capping the steps and wall and painting the inside of the side extension and some topsoil in what's left of the garden.

I have a gardening question that I will ask elsewhere.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2019, 12:06 am

All heading in the right direction then? Whoop. Look forward to further updates!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 13th, 2019, 6:43 pm

When's the house/extension warming ? ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 13th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Anyone is welcome to come round, but all we have done is repair and rebuild, so not a lot to see. But a quick tour before a glass of wine is available. :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 19th, 2019, 8:46 pm

And finally the new, long and thin, room that's replaced the garage. Work should finish by the weekend, except for the mods to the flat roof railings which will require a welder to come and measure up things.

This room was planned as a storeroom, but it's a bit too nice for that! It may find a new use :)

IMG_2128.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 19th, 2019, 10:19 pm

It would make a lovely storeroom or 'boot room' IMO. What an enviable space! Are there restrictions on use in the planning regs? I am thinking of relatives who have what is officially called a 'porch' off their kitchen but is more of an unplumbed scullery. They are not allowed to use white goods ( I think a freezer might be allowed) or have it plumbed because of the proximity to next door and possible noise.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 19th, 2019, 11:10 pm

It has some implied limits at the moment. There is a door into the house as well as the front and rear doors to the outside. But it has been called a storeroom and as such the interconnecting doorway is not fire resistant. But that could be resolved quite simply by adding some wider stops around the door frame, and a linked fire alarm. We may do the fire alarm anyway when the burglar alarm is extended to cover the new room.

The loft conversion already has a fire resistant seal around the trapdoor, but if we put a bed up there, that room needs a fire alarm linked to the others in the house. But it's only planned as a further store. Current plans are for OH to use the loft mainly for her dresses. These are used infrequently for the concerts. She has several, all bought cheaply at charity shops! :) Or made by herself.

The side room may become a music room. Not necessarily for playing but for some bookcases for the sheet music. I will probably pinch a bit for my map collection!!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » February 20th, 2019, 1:11 am

don't be silly, it's obviously a skittles alley.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2019, 9:34 am

Of course it is scully :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 20th, 2019, 9:35 am

Gosh yes!!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 20th, 2019, 2:35 pm

We think along the same lines! :D

I did think of putting some milk bottles at the end before I took the photo, but I could only find four and it looked silly!! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Do you remember my nightmare before Christmas? The shower saga ? Well look at it now ! :bounce: I have a lovely new chrome towel rail on the right hand side and for the far corner, I have designed a unit that will sit on the low level boxing in that was required to house the drain away for the shower.. this will hold all my odds and sods with a towel tower above, alongside the 3 shelves … This is going to take 10-12 weeks and is being made by a company called RAW.co.uk … This company is being so helpful , so thanks to Zosh for the heads up. The box seat is intended to be used for laundry, however, I might just put all my bathroom cleaning stuff in it - oh and stain it down to match the shelves and floor. I do need it to sit on to dry my feet ! :rolleyes: :oops:
Attachments
bathroom4.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Nice one Patsy! :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » February 20th, 2019, 7:52 pm

It looks great! I use mine for laundry, too, but it'll hold a bucket and cleaning stuff easily!
uschi
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 20th, 2019, 8:08 pm

That looks very nice! :)

I think that the hard work for us starts now. We have stuff to move back and a lot of "downsizing" from the hoarded stuff over the years.

Building Control e-mailed the Completion Certificate to me this afternoon.

The builders have finished inside and the house is ours now!! :) All that's left is to refit the railings to the flat roof terrace. That might be a bit more difficult as the roof has changed shape slightly!!

I'll post a proper photo of the front of the house and the garden once the Portaloo has been removed!! :o

The work took 12 working weeks, including the scaffolding. It would have been quicker if the very cold snap had not happened as it delayed the fibreglass roof and the rendering. It also included the 10 days or so for the unplanned renewal of the flat roof. So really fast. A similar job being done along the road had the scaffold go up in September and it's still not down!!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 22nd, 2019, 3:36 pm

Portaloo gone! :)

Job done! :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Time for :cocktail: :cocktail:

IMG_2140.JPG
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » February 22nd, 2019, 7:18 pm

Thankfully our new build did away with a flat roof that had leaked into the garage from day one when we moved in 12.5 years ago. Our local council will not allow them now, hardly at all.

Today we have more stud work downstairs and outside brickwork has been cleaned. We have had a major re-think and the old main family bathroom was and is being reduced to entertain a short corridor from old to new section of house. We have now decided that this new reduced bathroom will be better suited to become an ensuite to the new larger bedroom being constructed, so that is the new plan.

Builder pointed out to me recently that our new ext. is, in effect a 2 bedroom house being added to our existing house. :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: stupidly, this was not immediately obvious to me.

Can't post a photo - 'file is too big'....
Zosherooney
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop