Black Friday

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Black Friday

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm

Will you? Won't you?

I have....

I have designed a calendar from Bonus print for hub for Christmas, using his own photos (I hope he won't say I've infringed his copywrite!), which seemed to be a good price.

But apart from that, I'm steering clear of any such shopping. I think it's become like Christmas, overated and over hyped.

Any purchases planned?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Re: Black Friday

Postby Busybee » November 21st, 2018, 4:26 pm

I have bought some Merrell winter boots. I was due a new pair of boots so took advantage of £40 off. Waterproof, lined with sheepskin- just the thing for winter dog walking but also smart enough to wear on our trip to Prague in a fortnight.

Apart from that no, and I won’t be near any shops other than food shops on Friday or the weekend.

These but in Black https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/trembl ... on&start=1

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2018, 4:46 pm

Nice boots

I’ve clicked through a few emails to look at the bargains but not been tempted so far

The only thing I really want is an iPad, and annoyingly the most convenient day to go looking for them would be Friday itself! I’m unlikely to get one, but the price to spec ratio has improved a lot anyway
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm

If there was something I considered a major purchase I would probably feel forced to look. Otherwise, I just feel cross that an American Thanksgiving tradition has been foisted upon us. I wish we could just go back to January sales starting in 6th January and reclaim Boxing Day and the few days after Christmas as non-shopping days too. Bah humbug!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 21st, 2018, 7:45 pm

There are some that say that better deals could possibly be available at other times of the year..... I bought a smart TV last week £169 from Currys and we are pleased with it. We have even managed to connect it to the internet to a degree. Lots to learn and practice with.

Snazzy pair of 'metallic' ankle kitten heel boots - very comfy, bling T light holders for the new snug, and a shawl with tassels and a faux fur collar I am more than happy with from Debenhams - Hermes leave a lot to be desired. Will probably never shop on line again because of them. D. did make things right :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2018, 7:49 pm

Apple are very canny
No iPad deals until Friday
And the new iPad Pro 11 inch won’t be available for a couple of weeks yet, so I and others may hang on to look at it and get the launch offer
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 21st, 2018, 7:55 pm

Absolutely not. Cynical American take over again!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » November 22nd, 2018, 2:04 am

black friday things are only a bargain if you need them at that point but i've noticed, in the past, that some things that i've been wanting for a while have had the prices raised for a few weeks before the friday - so no saving at all, really.
i agree, yet another american import, give me the january sales (which i never go to) any day.
i'm not very good at shopping for 'stuff' i don't need at the best of times and i won't be coerced into buying something just because shops want me to spend money that i'd rather spend on things that i really want/need.
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » November 22nd, 2018, 8:54 am

The consumer magazines here found that prices are raised in the weeks leading up to Black Friday, so they can make "reductions". The time when prices are really low are the weeks after Christmas. :rolleyes:
So no, I'm not buying.
uschi
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 22nd, 2018, 9:20 pm

I'm not buying, either, Uschi. I need some new trainers for the Winter, but my local branch of Wyndsors has a good choice and some are very reasonably priced, so I won't be going into the big stores for stuff I don't need. I need some new socks too, but I can get those at our local market.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2018, 10:55 pm

I spotted a good deal for my mother on Cotton Traders, so will be buying for her tomorrow online when she's made her final decision. (Will probably end up paying for it too... she ususally forgets whose paid for things :) )

Boden have 30% off everything. I am trying to persuade myself not to buy anything. 30% is quite good though. 20% is not infrequent but 30%...

I also have a 20% of White Stuff, but gone off them a bit. Plus they are always having 20% off.

I don't need any clothes. In fact, I need to get rid of some. Could do with a bit of comfort present to self buying though.

Actutally I could really really do with some everyday flattish shoes to wear with skirst, but I am finding it hard to find ones I can wear without going through a period of suffering, or not being able to wear at all. My foot is still not entirely ok after my six month stint of great pain this time last year and I am afraid of the problem returning full force.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 22nd, 2018, 11:40 pm

I’m a huge fan of Geox for orthopaedic level of comfort combined with good looks but they are expensive and not doing BF

On the other hand I’ve had my tassel loafers nearly 4 years, wore them nearly every day my last year in the office and they are still good

I’ve got my eye on a pair but £££
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 8:28 am

Will look into Geox. Thanks Sue. The problem area is the place where most courts shoes/ballet pumps i.e. shoes that don't cover the whole of the foot, ends so to speak in the toe area. There must be a word? Just before where my toes begin??!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

Actually Geox have taken 30% off the shoes I want... trouble is the online sizing is in English and my current ones are Continental 38

Not sure about the anatomy, I don’t wear ballet pumps as I don’t find them comfortable
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 23rd, 2018, 9:29 am

just succumbed - a deal on flea treatment for the cats - which i was buying anyway.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 23rd, 2018, 9:41 am

StokeySue wrote:trouble is the online sizing is in English and my current ones are Continental 38

Isn't that an English 5 ? I am most comfortable in 37 ... and English 4.5 (if I can get AAA width ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 23rd, 2018, 9:50 am

Herbidacious wrote:Will look into Geox. Thanks Sue. The problem area is the place where most courts shoes/ballet pumps i.e. shoes that don't cover the whole of the foot, ends so to speak in the toe area. There must be a word? Just before where my toes begin??!!

I have the same problem Herbie. I have big feet, 8-9 English, and a lot of the length is my very long toes. I really struggle to find shoes in the first place and secondly finding ones where most fo my toes show.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2018, 10:27 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
StokeySue wrote:trouble is the online sizing is in English and my current ones are Continental 38

Isn't that an English 5 ? I am most comfortable in 37 ... and English 4.5 (if I can get AAA width ;) )

I’m usually a 39 continental, which in UK terms should be 5.5 or a small 6 - really a 5.75, I often end up trying on 5, 5.5 and 6 to be sure of sizing
So I’m surprised the loafers are 38 not 39 :o
I think the sizes don’t quite match up as the increment from 38 to 39 is a bit less than from 5 to 6
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 23rd, 2018, 11:08 am

Ratatouille wrote:I have the same problem Herbie. I have big feet, 8-9 English

Same here. What really irritates me is that in UK sizes,ninety nine times out of a hundred a girlie '8' is a European 41, not a 42 (which is what I need) whereas a mans UK 8 is a 42. It's not always the case (Moshulu does a 'proper' girlie size 8 for example) but much more often than not. And hardly any of the offending brands go up to a girlie 9 (or if they do, stock is extremely limited). It's a case of grab 'em whilst you can.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2018, 12:22 pm

I see that Iceland stores are offering Black Friday deals .... talk about jumping on the bandwagon!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

You can imagine the looks I got when I treid to buy shoes in France where the top ladies size is usually 39!
Thal goodness Hptter and lands end send to France or I would have to go barefoot!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I see that Iceland stores are offering Black Friday deals .... talk about jumping on the bandwagon!

It’s their job - if they see a marketing / publicity opportunity and they don’t take it they are either lazy or incompetent

And on the whole Iceland are neither
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 23rd, 2018, 4:24 pm

I did buy something from John Lewis which I'd had my eye on for a while, and the price was good even if it wasn't a genuine reduction. Of course, the usual 'click and collect' next day service has failed! The normal system must be overwhelmed by extra orders.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » November 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

And having said I'd not buy anything, I couldn't hep noticing that as I walked past local Gap there was 50% off everything. So I ended up with a parka I'd been after for yonks and a very nice petrol-blue cardi, all for £55.00. Very pleased! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 24th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I too succumbed. We had promised to buy the Jersey family a Sonas smartspeaker system and when I looked last evening they were quite a lot cheaper than they had been so I have been able to add another gizmo to go with them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2018, 11:07 pm

StokeySue wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I see that Iceland stores are offering Black Friday deals .... talk about jumping on the bandwagon!

It’s their job - if they see a marketing / publicity opportunity and they don’t take it they are either lazy or incompetent

Obviously they will ... but I am annoyed that it has reached food stores. Just a personal thing 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 25th, 2018, 1:35 pm

If anyone is still after a Sodastream, they have this offer:
https://sodastream.co.uk/products/cryst ... i=67724754
For £109.99 you get:
the Sodastream
2 Carbonating cylinders
3 620ml glass bottles/carafes

That seems like really quite a bargain to me. Amazon is selling it for £119.99 with just with one cartrage and one carafe/bottle.

I am tempted to get one for France.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 25th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I succumber to some Hotter shoes an boots. 25% off. But as I bought my last pair of boots in about 1875 and have no 'smart shoes' at all, I did splash out. I've also got dreadful feet (after 2 operations) so shoes need to be comfy.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 25th, 2018, 11:47 pm

This morning on Amazon I bought a dash cam. Have been toying with the idea for some time now. Read reviews and ended up ordering a Cobra (can't remember the model number) but seemingly insurance company's offer a reduction in price if you have a dash cam. We will see how it pans out.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2018, 12:07 am

Remember it shows up any misdemeanor on your part as well as those of other drivers! That's why the insurance companies like you to have them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 27th, 2018, 8:53 am

Most cameras have the option to display your speed and record your voice. I would turn both off, just leave the pictures.
My dash cam records in three minute bites. After three hours, the first one is overwritten. I also have a "save" button. When you press it, the current and previous three minutes are saved and not overwritten.

Read the manual carefully. There are a lot of things you can choose, but the instructions are often in "Chinglish" and need to be interpreted.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » November 27th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up Aero..... No doubt I will be asking questions later.... :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby nursemimi » November 27th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Well this American ignored Black Friday completely I refuse to go shopping in
all that chaos.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop