Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 7:37 am

Well... that was a bit of a shock ... but here she is everyone ... Ulrika has arrived ....
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 7:42 am

OH has just made me a :mug: ... as I’m still in bed :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 28th, 2018, 7:56 am

Best place to be to give birth ! And the best place to be on a day like this, especially seeing as we changed the bedding to flannelette last night, so warm and snugly Wuzzle has already put himself back to bed.....

I have a funny feeling we won't be having builders today.... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 28th, 2018, 8:02 am

Welcome Ulrika :cocktail: Does she have Scandinavian relatives ?

Being 2 hours ahead of the UK we are up. The car has been taken for a service and MOT. We cannot get the car, a Renault, serviced at the Renault workshop as they have closed. The only phone number that we can is a Nicosia number so have resorted to a local workshop. This workshop is in the village and is owned and run by Michaeli, Effies brother. Michaeli is in partnership with some British Cypriots down in Episcopi, they have heir own workshop and own the MOT testing station, I think that the car will pass its MOT ;)
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 8:06 am

Think there’s definitely some Scandinavian heritage Moira ... blue eyes, long legs and blonde hair ... she’s going to be quite striking !!! 8-) :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 28th, 2018, 8:15 am

Good morning wild ones. :cocktail: :cocktail: well done Suffs on the birth of Ulrika :tu: :tu: we are in for a wet and very windy day today. :terrified:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2018, 8:34 am

Morning all! That was quite a slow birth but lovely to greet Ulrika.

Foul day here too. I've got a morning at the hairdresser ahead and last minute things to do for tonight's meeting later. The house was quite sweet-smelling until I cooked chicken livers with balsamic vinegar last night. I think some windows will have to be opened later :rolleyes:. (the livers were rtc in Waitrose, I froze half and planned to have the rest for supper yesterday but got in a bit late and didn't want them. As they were past the sell by date by then I wasn't sure I should freeze them).

Something I heard on the radio reminded me that there seems to be a growing trend for people to take cake of some sort to share on their first day in a new job (mostly offices). I think until you know the team it could be quite a gamble!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2018, 8:59 am

Hello Ulrika and all
Unpleasant weather here but will be out in most of the day - meeting, shopping, ophthalmologist

Try to stay warm and dry and have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 28th, 2018, 9:16 am

Welcome Ulrika!

Morning all.

Decidedly soggy here! Enjoyed the first pleasant bus ride in without us almost colliding with other vehicles, kerbs or bollards. Well done that lovely lady driver. :wink:

Enjoy your day everyone!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2018, 9:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Special welcome to Ulrika. Well done Suffs :hi5:

The sun us shining again - that's three days in a row!. However the wind is veering towards the east which is not a good sign so better get outside for a bit and top up the vitamin D.

Have a nice day all and stay warm and dry.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 28th, 2018, 9:32 am

earthmaiden wrote:Foul day here too. I've got a morning at the hairdresser ahead and last minute things to do for tonight's meeting later. The house was quite sweet-smelling until I cooked chicken livers

So more 'fowl' day then? :D

Welcome Ulrika! :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2018, 11:47 am

:lol: :lol: Seatallen.

Been to hairdresser and had nice relaxing time with coffee and magazines I wouldn't normally read under the lovely hot colour setting thing. I would like one of those to sit under all the time in winter :). Now home with the windows open trying to freshen the whiff. I think it will be fine by tonight, it's not that bad really. Time now to give the kitchen and bathroom an extra spit and polish to create the illusion that I am a domestic goddess :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 11:50 am

OH came home the other day with a freebie ... https://www.procook.co.uk/product/proco ... ound-black it was going to be chucked 'cos it has a slight chip in the enamel on the handle ... so the manager asked if I'd like it .................. I've got a similar one but it's quite large ... this one is a better size for the two of us ... I'm christening it today with pork ossobuco :drool: all the veg etc are prepped and I'll assemble it after lunch.

I've also made a batch of pastry and that's resting in the fridge until tomorrow when I'll make a quiche for supper.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2018, 11:54 am

What a nice surprise Suffs!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 28th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Good afternoon everyone and welcome Ulrika
Nice looking pan suffs:)
EM- I'm sure your guests won't notice any whiffs but if your unconvinced a scented candle should banish them ;) . My go to in the winter if I've been cooking anything smelly and don't want to open the windows is a Price's Chefs candle. They're brilliant :)
It is very stormy here with some really strong gusts but thankfully much milder than yesterday which was baltic. Despite multiple layers and the heating cranked up I struggled to get warm until I headed to bed in fleecy pjs, a heat pad and popped a hot water bottle at my feet. I think the flannel bedding will be going on when the next cold spell is forecast. Luckily I don't need to go anywhere today as I'd struggle to keep my balance in the wind. I've enough to do to be quite happy pottering in the house and there is always Christmas card writing if I get bored.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Gorgeous pot Suffs.

I'm a huge fan of cooks candles though usually I hate scented candles, The Prices ones really work don't they?

The sun is still shining but our neighbour is having his trees pruned/trimmed and the whole thing is rather noisy - however it did stop between 12.00 and 2.00 so everyone could have a peaceful lunch and siesta.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby nursemimi » November 28th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Morning all it is a lovely day here in Oklahoma fixing to head to school.
We are having our fund raiser for our graduation in May today.
One more :mug: then I must head out.
Hope everyone is having a good day today. :wave:

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 28th, 2018, 1:24 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Been to hairdresser and had nice relaxing time with coffee and magazines I wouldn't normally read under the lovely hot colour setting thing.

I love doing that! I always ask hairdresser to bring me a pile of a combination of the celeb mags (Hello, OK, etc) and the 'lowest common denominator' mags (Bella, Chat, etc). Makes me very happy indeed :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Interested in the cook's candles. Someone gave me one once and it didn't seem to do anything :?.

Seatallen - I was engrossed in 'Red' this morning and rather annoyed when I was whisked away before I had read it all!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Michaeli has bought the car back, which was kind of him. It needed two new back tyres to pass its MOT, personally I am a little doubtful about that but I am not in a position to argue. Anyway we now have all the correct documentation and record cards.
Because of all that I missed lacemaking this afternoon. I shall have to catch up with gossip next week.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Ossobuco is chuntering in a slow oven :hungry:

I've had a red-faced phone call from our power supply company to apologise and explain why we have now had two failed appointments to fit smart meters at this address.

Apparently the appointments should never have been made because the meters don’t work in this area :shock:

i asked why they’d phoned me up on several occasions and asked us to have a smart meter fitted ... he didn’t know :rolleyes:

Piss ups and breweries spring to mind :twisted:

He did say that this wasn't the first instance of this happening with the company they've employed to organise it ... he doubts whether their contract is being renewed. I am now going to be £60 better off ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 28th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Don't look a gift pot in the mouth, Suffolk. Sounds like it's earning its keep already. Paprika chicken tonight. It's basking in a harrissa marinade already.

And nice name for the new babe
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2018, 4:17 pm

suffolk wrote: Apparently the appointments should never have been made because the meters don’t work in this area :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

House all clean and tidy and all the props ready for the Murder Mystery. They'll leave late and I have to get up early tomorrow for a committee meeting (different group) .. in Somerset :rolleyes:. One of our members has moved there. We have been promised local cheese and crusty bread for lunch.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Don't spend it all at once Suffs !

Mr R has spent the whole day watching the World Champion Chess on line. They called it Amagedon - he nearly got it! I gather it is now over, It had better be :evil: I have to keep reminding myself it is putting off the dementia :lol: Though maybe not mine.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Can’t spend it Rats ... they’ll deduct it from the leccy bill ... handy but not a lot of fun ;)

Night night all ... sweet dreams :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 28th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Folks, let's get another happy day under our belts tomorrow. I'm so glad to be falling into my bed. I did manage MC without falling asleep tonight. A miracle. Then had to rip myself away from Detective Dogs on Quest. Amazing.

Catch you all morrowside. Nite all. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 29th, 2018, 6:05 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit gloomy here with a forecast of the possibilities of storms. I hope that Patsy is better over in Kyrenia.

How is the chair construction going, Tezza?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2018, 6:50 am

It's blowing a hooley out there, the fluffs have been out and Gridge is now under the duvet.... probably for the rest of the day. I wonder if the trades will turn up today?

I lost my voice completely last night and it hurts to try and speak, so another quiet day here today. My ears feel red hot and are popping away. Not blocked up at all but head feels like it is fit to burst... Might have another duvet day and join the fluffs.

Looks like our boundary growth will be removed at the weekend. That should please :evil: Nothing to do with us, just the people that it affects...... 8-)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 7:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Have a good day Tezza :tu:
A builder is expected here too this morning ... just to replace a slipped ridge tile. He postponed from yesterday as it was just too wet ... it’s dryish so far today so hopefully he’ll be here around 8:30. He has tea with two sugars :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 29th, 2018, 8:06 am

Morning!
Don't think anyone will be replacing ridge tiles here today
They've even cancelled local weekly markets round here due to the winds.

The murder mystery went well, none of us quite guessed whhodunnit.

Hope you feel better soon Zosh.

Off to get dressed and be blown to Somerset now. Actually, the forecast says the worst will be between 8am and 9am but it still won't be very nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 29th, 2018, 8:20 am

Good morning wild ones. It's blowing a hooley here too. :shock: OH had to retrieve the garden chairs from the bottom of the garden this morning. I had the PC doctor here yesterday sadly the laptop needs to be replaced, it's knackered :twisted: More expense :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 8:30 am

Builder has just phoned ... he’s going to come and have a look
and see how exposed to the wind we are ... the kettle is on ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 9:45 am

Yay! The roof is fixed. We're at the bottom of the hill and it's not too gusty down here ... where the builder lives is on one of Norwich's several hills so he wouldn't be going on a ridge there but it was ok here. He ran a ladder up from the garage roof and the job's done :D

Now to make a Quiche Lorraine for our supper ...... I made the pastry yesterday ... it's resting in the fridge so I'll get that out, drink some coffee and get on with it ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2018, 11:03 am

My builders only have squash and only very occasionally.... They don't even use our loo !!! :shock: But they have turned up today and used Mr. Z's early Christmas pressie to saw thru' a thick beam close to the wall. The young'un spent nearly an hour with a hand saw yesterday and struggled. Our tool was like a hot knife thru butter !!!

This weather is something else, torrential rain with wind, now the sun is out..... We lost power earlier but sturdier batons have been nailed to the wall around the electrics - fingers crossed it works.

It's very mild out there, I donned a woolly hat over my ears and had 10 mins of fresh air, it has blown some cobwebs away. We are having one of my vastly reduced (60p) ready meals tonight - red pepper and beef casserole. Will do some veg to go with it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 11:40 am

I used to be married to a builder ... I know how much a hot cuppa is appreciated. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2018, 11:41 am

Good morning
Just got up as recovering from slightly tricky eye treatment last night
Have only enough coffee beans for one :mug: of the real stuff so will need to brave the elements as far as the corner shop. And do an Ocado order, as I’ve found that their 1 kg bags are both cheaper and more convenient than little packs

It doesn’t seem to be particularly windy here at the moment though I may just be the wrong side of the buildings
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 29th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Good morning everyone
To say it's tipping it down here is a definite undertstatement and it's blowing a hooley too, I was thinking of popping into town for my last bit of Christmas present shopping but I'm not going to bother today.
My stove is getting installed next Wednesday :woohoo: :woohoo: First installment of logs arrive tomorrow as my son is coming up on Saturday for a few days and will stack them for me. Smokeless fuel is ordered and the bins for it arrived earlier. I'm go to go and can't wait to be sitting next to it getting all toasty :D
I made a small pot of savoury mince yesterday, there is some left so lunch will be a favourite of mine- toast topped with mince and a poached egg :chops: .
Gammon steak tonight probably with roast veg unless I work up enough oomph to make some parsley sauce :) .
Might start writing Christmas cards this afternoon though I really should do some ir*ning ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 29th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Afternoon everyone.

I wrecked two umbrellas on the way to the bus stop this morning. :? It was completely pointless trying to battle against the wind with one, let alone having another go with a second. So a big new umbrella is on the shopping list for the weekend. I also discovered that walking into the rain does not just require waterproof clothing and a hood. It also requires a make up retouch when you reach your destination! The wet face look is not good! :lol:

I forgot to mention my new chair. Luckily for me, someone built it for me during the early shift the day after I found out about it. No idea who. I didn't even notice the change until yesterday when someone asked me how I was getting on with it, so goodness knows why they bothered to spend the money.

Things here are picking up a pace as I am learning new stuff. Thank God for that. There's nothing worse than being bored out of your brain with nothing to do!

Talk has turned to Christmas baking and what cakes people want to bring in. So far we have nominees for chocolate, ginger, lemon drizzle and a cherry cheesecake. I'll be looking for a decent coconut cake recipe if anyone can recommend one. :drool:

Right, onward and upward. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 29th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I gathered the UK weather is not shall we say, clement today. Amaxingly it is still sunny here though storms are threatened. It was 17C at lunchtime but there is still lots of standing water around. S-I-L always says that there is no such thing as inclement weather, just inadequate clothing. I'm afraid I would rather not bother about donning anything appropriate when it's easier to stay indoors these days.

The supermarket was rather less chaotic today though i fail to see how the whole of France, let alone the population of a fairly small town, could possibly eat their way through the tonnage of ferrero rocher they have in stock.

Stay warm and dry everyone and hang on to those umbrellas and ridge tiles.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I’m never sure where all those lorry loads of Quality Street go Rats

But it’s odd the things that don’t have Christmas promos - I looked for Werther’s Christmas packs a couple of years running, failed to find them, so checked on line and they don’t exist :o

I’ll go and do something in a moment, but I had to have extra medication yesterday and I’ve therefore got a sort of hangover
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 29th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Very unfortunate Sue - not even having a real one :( :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 29th, 2018, 2:57 pm

WE have been down into Limassol, the weather has reverted to normal, it was 20C at 4 30pm
I have commented on the tapping noises coming from the church, I drove round there, there is a lot of renovation work in progress. Part of The outside wall has been faced with local sandstone tiles, hence the tapping, the rest has been painted white, the roof and dome tiles have repaired, it all looks very smart.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 29th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Afternoon!
I went to my art group this morning. We were a full house and the time flew.

At least it's dry and the wind has dropped somewhat.
It blew down the new shelter in the dog exercise field, so that's out of bounds till it's all cleared and on top of that, the lovely doggie daycare owner has broken a bone in her foot. Bryn is there this afternoon, and luckily, there are plenty of staff on hand to help.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 29th, 2018, 4:06 pm

We are expecting Storm Penelope to blow in from Greece :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 29th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Back from a good trip to Somerset. The weather calmed down considerably as the day went on. The farmhouse that our hosts have been renovating is tucked away in the middle of nowhere with a fabulous view across to Glastonbury Tor and other places. Must be wonderful for sun rises, sunsets and the full moon. We enjoyed local bread, cheese and pickles for lunch followed by mince pies. Just the sort of committee meeting we all approved of!

Re builders and hot cuppas, I find that more and more these days the under 35s choose Coke or squash rather than hot drinks. A bit of a nuisance when I don't usually have either in the house.

Quality Street are taken by managers and others to offices up and down the land throughout December where they are devoured by gannet-like workers :lol:.

The cake thing sounds a bit of a chore for a working day Tezza. It's years since I made a coconut cake. I like it when coconut is sprinkled over the top of pink icing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » November 29th, 2018, 8:09 pm

A quick hello from me.

Tezza, so pleased you are enjoying your new job :tu: :tu: I can highly recommend the Coconut and Lime cake from Delias summer collection, and I can also say that the plain sponge traybake cut into squares and sprinkled with coconut on top of pink icing always sells out fast at cattery sales. As Stokey Sue told us a while ago this is also known as Tottenham Cake.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Thank you EM, I have never had a sore throat for so long....... TCP is being administered... Your day sounds wonderful.....

Both the build chaps don't seem to take hot drinks ???? Is it something with the younger generation ??

I crashed out this ago and slept until 6.30pm, Mr.Z. has had an early night, not sure if he is just over tired or is heading for my lurgy...... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 29th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Before I say nite nite, yes, have discussed Tottenham cake here before, and recollect I passed a recipe for it to my family (Dad's side) who come from that area. I have yet to make that, but have just been notified that at our next gathering mid December, my aunt will be joining us, she lives in North London, and this could be a perfect sweet treat for the 'party'.

Delia's recipe I shall investigate, thanks Chinch. :tu: I gather that the office Mary Berrys operate of a weekend for Monday, so that's good. :tu: We sampled ginger cake today. :bounce: Very light and not too sweet, made with plain flour instead of SR apparently. :chops:

It is blowing an absolute hooly out there right now. I fixed one of brollies in the office earlier, much to the horror of a superstitious colleague. :lol: I should be okay for the morning. I've made a nice, healthy Marmite and salad roll for lunch tomorrow so I can avoid our Fat Friday. My stomach couldn't deal with such an overload of calories within one week. I will sit there wishing I was partaking, no doubt.
:hungry: But I am sure that the inevitable calls to our team from drivers involved in many a range of RTA's will take my mind off the grumbling belly. :sad:

Sleep well all :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Some of the younger generation must be taking hot drinks - the High Street is cluttered with coffee shops and littered with discarded coffe cups :?
In fact it seems most young parents can’t push a buggy without a coffee
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 30th, 2018, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild ones, I do not know what happened to Storm Penelope, she has yet to arrive, maybe storms also suffer from the Greek/ Cypriot inability to do anything on time.

Moira :mug:
Please ignore the above statement, according to the Cyprus Mail there was a terrific storm over towards Paphos, trees were up rooted, the electricity was off, the BA flight from Paphos was delayed owing to heavy rain.
I will probably get the details when we go over to Pissouri later this morning
cyprusmoira
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop