Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Ive just unwound with a slice of stollen and a glass of Amontillado ... very relaxing ... night night folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2019, 10:26 pm

No idea why that’s so small ... I wasn’t whispering ... :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Oh .., it’s not small now ... I’ll blame the sherry ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2019, 11:03 pm

... was it a rather large glass?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 11th, 2019, 6:24 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the temperature has returned to normal. hurrah :D but the ground is still sodden
Off to Pissouri later on, we get a splendid view of the mountains on the return journey.

I hear that Andy Murray is retiring, what will he do with the rest of his life? He has not got the voice for commentating
Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2019, 7:23 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Sad for Andy Murray ... but he can’t keep putting himself through that degree of pain ... must be awful ... he has long limbs/levers which must put his joints under a lot of strain ... Nadal and Federer look as if they both have shorter legs than Andy so presumably dont put as much leverage on the hip joints ... perhaps he’ll go into coaching ... that’s the role a lot of top flight players have taken on ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 11th, 2019, 8:07 am

Good morning wild ones. Temperature has risen here too, so much so, we haven't put the heating on this morning. Shame to hear about Andy Murray, the newspapers are saying he may have to retire as soon as next week rather than drag it out to Wimbledon. My unsympathetic OH says he should finish right away, he has plenty of money, why drag it out in pain. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 11th, 2019, 8:46 am

Well Andy Murray enjoys painting, and he does have a five star hotel he could run, or even follow his mother in spreading the game and promoting tennis in less advantaged communities. Or, he could enjoy a happy retirement with his young family.

Whatever he does I hope he realises just how much enjoyment he has brought to many people during his career, and whilst it would be nice to see him at Wimbledon again I wouldn’t want him to continue in such pain.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2019, 8:47 am

Good morning
Dull and cold here and in Brighton where I’m headed to play backgammon this weekend
Just need to pack and go really

Listening to Greg Rusedski talking about Andy Murray :(

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 11th, 2019, 9:22 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I woke up when Mr R put the radio on at 7.00 to hear the news about Andy Murray. Sad for tennis and for him personally as I think without the injury he probably had some years left in the sport. However , as someone who has had dodgy hips nearly all my life I absolutely understand his reasons.

-5C this morning. The mountains however are suffering from too much of the white stuff and serious avalanche risks.

I hope you have a good weekend in Brighton Sue and the backgammon goes well for you.

Awaiting a delivery or two from my sale shopping.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

I am back. :D OH has taken the beasts out for their walk, so it is quiet...apart that is from me coughing and spluttering. :( I am at the stage now where my throat keeps going dry in patches which sets me off coughing and nearly makes me sick. :sprout: :sprout: So I have gallons of water to hand, which in turn means I am back and too to the loo :shock: I went down to the bottom of the garden to find the damned local cat has been digging in my pot plants, there is compost everywhere. Any tried and tested tips to put it off would be appreciated. :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2019, 10:29 am

icelesley wrote: I went down to the bottom of the garden to find the damned local cat has been digging in my pot plants, there is compost everywhere. Any tried and tested tips to put it off would be appreciated. :tu:

The consensus on Gardeners World forum is either a Water Scarecrow or a Jack Russell terrier. Nothing much else seems to work.

Are you sure it's cats ... blackbirds are poking about in pots looking for worms/grubs and throwing compost all over the place at the moment.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2019, 10:55 am

Morning all! Late on parade as I went to bed late and got up late. Nightshift run starts tonight. It's been such a nice quiet week catching up with things. Today I may even make arrangements for the electrics and phone to be looked at next week and book up for a little trip to London next month.

I am not a tennis fan but it must be very sad for AM to have to stop in his prime and a huge loss to UK tennis. I am sure that if he manages things well that there will be many opportunities for him to make a good living.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Afternoon folks. Lunchtime again - yippee! No Fat Friday today as our collector of food is on annual leave, so I've brought in a rather yummy chunk of French stick with a mixture of tuna and the dregs of a tub of coleslaw that needed using up. Like tuna mayo with crunch. :chops:

I was late (midnight :rolleyes: ) to bed last night as I was earwigging (not difficult!) to an almighty row going on between you-know-who downstairs and four others at the top of their voices about a warning that the council have sent tenant about his shed being a fire hazard. :hi5: Their very vocal stance on it was they cannot believe that the council are just targeting his shed alone. Surely all sheds are a fire hazard as they are all full of carp. Stamp feet, stamp feet, wah not fair, not fair, etc...etc. I think the whole point is YOU are a fire hazard not the shed! Anyway, the council have told me they are considering installing recording devices in my flat..... :P

I was also a couple of minutes late for my car share this morning :oops: but for good reason. Last night I noticed a poster up in our Co-op about a missing black and white cat in the area. Last night earwigging at my kitchen sink I saw one stroll through the communal area, so I nipped over, grabbed the mobile number on the poster so that I could let the owner know. I have never seen a black and white in the area before so fingers crossed it is the missing cat. The owner is going to have a walk round the back tonight and call for it.

Oh well, back on with it! Have a good afternoon all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 11th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Re cats digging in your plant pots, and their other unsavoury habits.. Fox poo works a treat as well.
If a fox uses my lawn as a toilet I leave it there at this time of year, when we're not gardening or using the washing line much.
Can't do it in warm weather though ;)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Interesting developments Tezza! There were adverts all over our area recently for a missing ginger cat. It had been brought here from Romania and was much loved. A few days later I was in a nearby area where there are a few shops and restaurants and a ginger cat was coming up to passers by, it looked a bit hungry. I got out my phone, looked at the local FB page and the cat looked similar. I rang the number only to be told it wasn't the missing cat and they'd been inundated with calls about the cat at the shops who belonged to someone up the road!

I have arranged for the Virgin phone man and the electrician to come out next week and booked my little trip to London in February. :bounce: (rather pleased as I got a return National Express ticket for £9, it is usually nearer £20 and the train nearer £40)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 11th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Ice, Holly seems to work......

We are back from the private viewing at the Art exhibition, which was great, some good stuff there. The chap who did Mum and Dads crem. tablet turned up with his wife and younger son. We had a great natter and it was good to see them again.

The new Bose music system has turned up and from a short initial listening, it looks like it will do the job but more tuition needed over the w/e.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2019, 7:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Enormous amounts of snow in Europe, has anyone been affected?

Young Hari has to dash back from Crete for some vital paperwork, his fare on RyanAir is E40, it costs me more to refuel the car :rolleyes:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2019, 7:37 am

<yawning smiley> needed
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2019, 8:39 am

Good morning
I’m on Brighton where it’s quite warm but an old school friend posted on Wednesday that they are snowed into their holiday apartment in Switzerland, and she hasn’t updated since. I think they can get around the hamlet with difficulty but not out of it. And there is far too much snow to do the skiing they go there for.

Need to go and investigate the hotel breakfast. Have a good day everyone’s
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2019, 8:41 am

suffolk wrote:
icelesley wrote: I went down to the bottom of the garden to find the damned local cat has been digging in my pot plants, there is compost everywhere. Any tried and tested tips to put it off would be appreciated. :tu:

The consensus on Gardeners World forum is either a Water Scarecrow or a Jack Russell terrier. Nothing much else seems to work.

Are you sure it's cats ... blackbirds are poking about in pots looking for worms/grubs and throwing compost all over the place at the moment.

I think it is a cat, a ginger I have spotted a few times in the garden, it had dug down about four inches in one pot and left a calling card :sprout:
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2019, 8:46 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit wet and breezy here but not cold. I see we have heavy snow on its way in a coup l e of weeks, the beast from the East is returning :rolleyes: given they can't predict the weather two days in advance correctly, I will wait and see.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2019, 9:09 am

Ice ... I see, you have evidence ... :rolleyes:

As for the weather ... Ma always said (and I think I’ve quoted here before) if it doesn’t snow at Christmas it’ll snow for Suff’s birthday ... and she was never knowingly wrong. ‘They’ could do a lot worse than following Ma’s style of meteorology ... she set a lot of store by whether or not it was ‘black over Will’s mother’s’.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2019, 10:33 am

my mother used to say that if new york had snow we'd get it five days later.
it'll be a surprise if we get it down here, though.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

No snow here at the moment just intense cold, -6C this morning but as little as 50km north and west there is massess of the stuff. Neighbours who were going skiing this weekend have abandoned the idea because so many roads are blocked.
I wasn't allowed to the market again.

Dreadful reports of the explosion in Paris. The pictures are horrific. It seems to have diverted attention from the gilet jaunes.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 12th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Not good news Rats....

We are in from 3 hours in the garden - various jobs, mine was reigning in the brambles on the bank I can reach which skirts the private road to our properties. Mr. Z. chopped logs and then we sawed some bigger ones and then chopped them. Moved leafage to expose the snowdrops underneath. Picked 6 daffs from the garden to add to the floral bunch for my fiend when we visit tonight. Boxing day sarnies made for lunch. I think it will be the last authentic one. We have the afternoon off with ankles raised ! Mr. Z is playing with the new music system and I am wondering what might be on TV. Might even manage a snooze later.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Afternoon all!

So industrious Zosh, you deserve to put your feet up!

Very unwelcome news re the predicted cold spell. I hate all the upheaval. Roll on Spring. At least we are not in Switzerland.

A few days of work / sleep /work / sleep here. Looking at what's going on round the world it doesn't seem a bad thing. The Paris explosion looks as though it might be a genuine gas explosion - obviously not much comfort to those affected.

Hope everyone has a warm and cosy evening. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Yes em it has just been confirmed that it was indeed a gas explosion. My first thought was thank goodness., but then I realised that wasn't very nice. Whatever people have been killed and badly hurt.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm

No, I think it is reasonable to say thank goodness there was no malice Rats. I hope it also turns out there was no negligence.
Accidents do in fact happen

I have had a nice walk around Brighton and bought some spices in the spice shop, always amazes me that my local delis and whole food shops stock about seven different salts, most of which taste the same when dissolved in water, but only two kinds of black peppercorns - organic or not organic. I got a single estate Vietnamese pepper that smells lovely. Also saffron an chipotle, dried and in adobo, they stock sensibly small cans at a reasonable price.

The backgammon is going quite well. Lost my first match to a guy ranked way above me but with an acceptable score, it have won my first two matches in the consolation tournament, also against higher ranked players

HAve a good evening everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 12th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Been to look at a replacement car today.
J was at work so I took my pal's husband, who is an army-trained mechanic.
He pronounced it sound.

Treating them both to a curry tonight to say thank you for the lift and the expertise.

Tomorrow we have a birthday lunch party to attend and on Monday we are going to Madeira for a week.
Forecasting 20deg all week, perfect for walking.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Well done Sue. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
See you all tomorrow xx
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 12th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Good evening everyone,
I didn't manage to post yesterday as was getting the house tidied and food prepping for folk coming round in the evening.
I had a lovely time we talked & laughed and generally sorted the world out until the early hours :) . Not a boozy "do" but I've been tired today as woke at more or less my usual time. Despite a nap this afternoon, I'm ready to put my feet up for a bit now, watch some TV and have an early night.
It's not particularly cold here today but wet & windy, we've to a get gale force winds overnight. Being so near to the coast we tend not to get much snow but if we do it tends to be the end of Jan/first couple weeks in Feb so I always make sure I'm well stocked with essentials at that time.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 12th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Evening all,

Grocery shopping for me today on the bus and home to find neighbour's rowdy cuckoos have gone. I am enjoying it while it lasts but I wonder what's happened.

All I have planned for tomorrow is colour my hair and charity clothes shop. If this peace continues I will be a very happy bunny with a nicely coloured barnet. :tu:

Sweet dreams everyone :hug: zzz
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 13th, 2019, 12:20 am

We started @ 6pm and ave just got in.....! :o We also put the world to rights but it has the habit of going back to ratsh*t as soon as our backs are turned.... I decided to wear a pair of heels this evening and my feet swelled and I have just hobbled home and my heels are killing me.... back to flatties tomorrow... Great evening, just the 6 of us and a pile of finger food. We are all cat people so were comparing cats behaviour. I think our have the best behaviour. :D We were greeted by the boys when we got home. They needed biscuits - fawning sycophants !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2019, 6:52 am

Early to bed and early to rise etc :lol:
Jolly blustery out there :shock:
Waiting for :mug: to arrive ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2019, 7:26 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we must have had some rain, the outside tiles are wet.
StokeySue wrote: stock about seven different salts, most of which taste the same when dissolved in water, but only two kinds of black peppercorns - organic or not organic.
Same here, all sort of different salts but I cannot but ground cumin, plenty of cumin seeds.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 13th, 2019, 8:02 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a tad windy here this morning, I can hear the fence panels rattling :o I told OH, the neighbours will be complaining, he doesn't seem bothered. I won't be answering the door when they come to complain that's for sure. ;) my cold is finally getting better, last night was the first night I haven't been coughing and sneezing half the night :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 13th, 2019, 8:39 am

Good morning
Don’t think the wind has got down to the south coast yet but it’s hard to tell from my view of the station car park.
Just pottering around before we start play at 10.30, having to organise my packing so my chipotle flakes don’t scent everything with BBQ smoke

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 13th, 2019, 10:04 am

Morning all. A tad wild and windy out!

I have had a busy, but very interesting few days; I've been Swedish death cleaning! I decided that, because the kids (not kids now, I know!!) do not want a lt of the antique stuff when I go, I will send it to auction, so I have the valuer coming on Tuesday, to see the grandfather clock and a few other things.

Then I got carried away and decided that I'd sell all the old 'jewellery' that I never wear (which would probably end up on the tip if my DiL got her hands on it!). So... if the amber is genuine amber (and not glass) and the lapis lazuli isn't fake, then that can go, along with sundry rings and other bits and bobs. Then I started researched bisque head dolls, vintage watches... it's all going!

It's the start of our 'down under fund' (henceforth to be known as the DUF!) for us going to see friends who are near Adelaide. Or maybe it might just fund a weekend break in the UK. Or maybe the valuer will tell me I've wasted his time.
Who knows? :lol:
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 13th, 2019, 10:20 am

Good morning everyone,
It was wild here overnight and still very cold and windy. I kept been woken by something banging near by all looks ok in my garden so it must have been elsewhere. As usual when the weather is like this my balance isn't great so I'll not be doing much today. I'll do what chores need doing and then a snuggle on the sofa with my book beckons. :)
Leftover frittata with salad for lunch and tonight I'll either make pork stroganoff or goulash as I've some sour cream needing used up.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2019, 10:35 am

Just to cheer you up, it is v windy here too, plus the rain is hurling itself at the windows, I can hear thunder in the distance, the local weather forecast states that there is a thunderstorm over Paphos..
We were going to have biscuits and cheese for lunch but have now decided on Pea & Ham Soup, using up a small piece of ham lurking at the bottom of the fridge.

liketocook wrote: some sour cream needing used up.
Ditto, it is being turned into Chocolate and Sour cream ganache to fill a small chocolate cake as I type this

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 13th, 2019, 10:43 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Just to cheer you up, it is v windy here too, plus the rain is hurling itself at the windows, I can hear thunder in the distance, the local weather forecast states that there is a thunderstorm over Paphos..
We were going to have biscuits and cheese for lunch but have now decided on Pea & Ham Soup, using up a small piece of ham lurking at the bottom of the fridge.

liketocook wrote: some sour cream needing used up.
Ditto, it is being turned into Chocolate and Sour cream ganache to fill a small chocolate cake as I type this

Moira

The cake sounds yummy :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2019, 10:59 am

Guess what ... someone has been watching me accessing porn :oops: ... ;) and unless I send them a ransom in Bitcoins all sorts of awful things will happen to my computer files :lol: I've sent an alert to my email provider, deleted the email and emptied my Junk folder.

It appears that the old email address of The Lovely Home has been hacked. :twisted: OH said that everyone is getting these threatening emails ... at work they've been warned the office email may receive them and they should just delete them etc. Pretty sure my email hasn't been hacked but I'm going to copy this to the Scam thread just in case it spreads and some folk don't necessarily pop in on this thread every day.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Well really Suffs! Now you've owned up to us there's no need to pay the ransom :lol:. I think finding out how on earth to pay in Bitcoin would be a stumbling block for many who feared it was genuine!

It doesn't look particulately windy here but it might be. I have been asleep anyway. Just having my second :mug:. Last shift tonight, I have explained on the what we've been eating thread why I shall be risking reheated takeaway tonight.

Interesting 're the 'death clearance' Sloe! When I become the oldest member of the family I shall go through things with my offspring too. Meanwhile I am always worried that the two remaining oldies might ask to see something they know is in my possession and I have enough room to store small things! When you think that one's own family is only a quarter of grandchildren's families it is rather unrealistic to think they will want more than one or two keepsakes from each at the most! I suppose in a large family there is more scope ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2019, 1:41 pm

EM ... they tell you where to send your money to buy the Bitcoin ... they’re sooo helpful :D :rolleyes: :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2019, 2:17 pm

..... I bet they are!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 13th, 2019, 4:00 pm

We nave just seen our lunch guests on their way home. i am shattered,

I am just so tired of everyone asking about Brexit and what is going to happen, We just wish we knew. the most liely thing is that we will become French. We have lost the will to discuss what the UK politicians are playing at when they don't know themselves. Having been very politically active in the UK we are just so frustrated now and fed up with trying to explain in another language why.

Much warmer here today, we got to 12C at noon.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 13th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Well on the train going home now

Didn’t win a match today but was a fun weekend
Had a nice walk in the brief sunny interval though it was pretty windy
Had a lovely Reuben bagel from the bagel bar in Brighton station for lunch. Lacked sauerkraut but had so much really good pickled cucumber it didn’t matter

Will not be late to bed tonight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Sounds like a good weekend, Sue.
We got soaked in the hills this afternoon, but it was nice to sink into heated car seats! Casserole in the slow cooker and a bottle of red to accompany it.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 13th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Gusty here..... Mr. Z has been removing rotted arch posts and hopefully we will re use part of the metal arch that got hit by the oil lorry some time back. If it works then we shall remove the rest of the rotten lattice fencing and maybe put up some ranch style fencing to support the honeysuckle/clematis etc. before it all starts to sprout.

Meanwhile I have been back to the antiques place and bought 2 of the 4 very pretty glass wall lamp shades. I managed to get 2 to fit the 2nd hand wall fittings I bought from eBay some time back. The colours of the shades perfectly match the curtain fabric I still have left over for the snug blinds. Just hope I have enough fabric. I did a rough measure some time back..... :?

Lunch is a ding diner of chicken and chorizo and some veg stew with barley - very warming for this chilly weather
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop