Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 8:57 am

Morning all,

Wet and gloomy hers again here. I was planning on a trip to Sainsbury's today for some bits including make up which I would have got yesterday until I discovered that Superdrug has closed to be relocated to our retail park. But yesterday I was full on all day and could do with a bit of a day of rest. I will do so if I can reassure myself that my make up will last another five days.

I might read a very good book that I started last night instead. I'll pop a note about it on the book thread if it turns out to be a success.

Happy Sundays all.
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on December 2nd, 2018, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2018, 9:41 am

Good morning
Not a huge fan of musicals in general and Les Mis in particular, think Dream is the best song in it. I actually had a bit of trouble watching that dance as there was so much black I couldn’t follow Stacey very well apart from the lifts

Will be interesting to see who goes tonight, there wasn’t a bad performance at all, the standard is so high this year

We had sun a minute ago, but it has clouded. No rain forecast though. Will make my Gulyás today, didn’t get round to it yesterday as I didn’t get started soon enough, I was doing admin, and I wasn’t very hungry

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am

Good morning everyone,
Thanks for all the good wishes re my son :luv:
Today is "operation fill the log store" and we'll need our waterproofs as it's still raining. Thankfully it's not too cold. :D
Roast chicken dinner tonight :drool:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 2nd, 2018, 10:46 am

Had a slice of toast with scrambled egg and chopped hot dog sausage (his fave) and have gone back to bed with a co-codamol. It's dry here with some sun, we have one very quiet bricklayer ! Last weekend they were slicing bricks with a mechanical saw (for a very short time), that area is now done and it's just blockwork going up at the moment.

Can't believe the warmth here, we have not had any heating on for 48 hours and with the sun out the house is like a greenhouse ! Builder bloke is in shorts.... Scrumpy is in the airing cupboard and Wuzzle is in his snood and Grigia is..... as always, behind my shoe rack, in the dark at the back of the wardrobe.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am

Shoulder of lamb has been slashed and thoroughly rubbed with mix of chopped anchovies, capers, rosemary and lemon juice and is in the lidded roasting tin soaking up the flavours :tu:

Potatoes and leeks have been prepped for boulangere and baby carrots are prepped ready for roasting alongside the lamb and a large head of wet garlic I bought from the market the other day.

OH has gone to work ... there's a bottle of Adnams Broadside waiting for when he comes home, and by then the kitchen will smell fantastic :hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 2nd, 2018, 12:42 pm

Oooh that does sound good Suffs! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 2nd, 2018, 1:24 pm

We had Chicken & Sweetcorn soup for lunch, a rather more substantial version than your usual Chinese restaurant as it contained more chicken and vegetable.
The weather has turned rather grey and British :( , no rain forecast for today

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 2nd, 2018, 1:30 pm

I have had a repeat of Christmas cake making. Last week 8 knew the mixture didn’t look right, and sure enough the cakes were a disaster.

I couldn’t work out what I had done wrong, but Tuesday inspiration struck........I had tripled the mixture and had weighed everything correctly apart from the mixed fruit........no wonder the mixture was sloppy and there wasn’t enough if it in the tins. So a bit of a costly mistake, but the flat cakes were eatable and the birds got the rest.

Today’s efforts look magnificent in comparison!

Additionally a spiced pumpkin soup has been made and everything prepped for fesenjan tonight along with meringue nests filled with raspberries and cream.

Busy day in the kitchen. Meanwhile outside the men of the household are busy putting 1500 tiny white fairy lights on the 30’ Christmas tree in our front garden. The lights stay on year to year but the last lot failed last year and I bought the new ones in the January sales. It’s quite a task getting them right up to the top, that’s usually DS’s job.

I need to make a start on writing cards.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2018, 2:31 pm

A quick :wave: . Hard to believe that I am in the same county as Zosh. It's not cold but there is certainly no sunshine and is far too damp for shorts.

Icey - it might be worth growing a bit of salad greenery on the kitchen window sill or under a cloche!

Glad to see everyone scurrying round on the day of rest. There will be some pretty houses and wonderful dinner at Suffs's by the end of the day (and at BB's too!).

Last night shift tonight, time dragged last night. I have 1001 things to do in the next week or so and my mind is racing even though I know I have it all under control. Looking forward to my few days away.

I wonder why my predictive text always changes of to if. It's not as though of is an unusual word. :rolleyes:
Last edited by earthmaiden on December 2nd, 2018, 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 2nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

Sainsburys this morning, bought 200g fresh yeast. As staff member passed the bag to me it felt warm. Queried it and was told it came out of the fridge.

Drove home, OH picked it up to put in fridge, it felt warm to her. Left it on the side for a couple of hours, still warm, registered 31C in room temperature of 20C.

The bottom of the bag was now feeling moist as well as warm, and colour from the bag (pinkish) had stained the work top.

Any ideas about what's happening please? Is it OK to use do you think?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm

Evening all :wave:

What a day! Useless weather despite Meteo promising us sunshine. Hostess felled by sudden back pain - very worried in view of her current health. So Mr R went up to wine fair and I went over to help in the kitchen

Thank goodness I had done evrything I needed to do yesterday. To add to the problems their heating went off and their oven packed in so the potatoes were cooked in their swiss neighbours oven and the pork in another neighbours - a lovely muslim family!! She was so worried about Margrethe she turned up with Moroccan pastries and her 15year old daughter to help in the kitchen.

In the end we had a jolly party including our uni friend's wheelchair bound wife into their very wheelchair unfriendly house.

The chestnut soup went down a treat - pleased evryone. The truffle shavings were particular popular with the French who "got" the whole dish immediately. Everyone mucked in to help and we left with plenty of goodies for them to nibble on tonight and tomorrow

Fingers well and truly crossed for tomorrows medical appointment for M.

Talking of that, Sue I wish you the very best for tomorrow and hope all goes well.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » December 2nd, 2018, 6:11 pm

We've been gardening - tending the wilderness, more like! I pruned the blackcurrants and planted the cuttings, so we should have more blackcurrants next year.
WE have Welsh lamb tonight, with roast tatties for hub, plus roast cauli and carrots.

Hope all goes well for Sue.

Sounds like everyone pulled together today, rats - glad it went well.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:15 pm

Evening!

Nice to hear you are all eating (or will be) some lovely food today! I had a toasted teacake with marmalade in Sainsbury's earlier when we actually did visit for make up. I have absolutely vowed that I will never return. Standards have drastically slipped since the last time we visited, and quite frankly I am fed up with complaining, so it has to be a boycott. First of all there were two men dressed as Santa outside the front entrance irritatingly shaking collection boxes in customers faces as they went in, Christmas music blasting from a mini sleigh, piped Christmas music in store, then before we ate, I nipped to the loo. Both disabled toilets were shoddily coned off after what looked to be a flood of some sort, the ladies had one cubile coned off out of action, the other blocked with all sorts of horrible debris :sprout: and the smell. :sprout: And to add insult to injury, just before 4pm closing, we could see the sleigh being towed away on the back of a van, and the two Santas stripped off their costumes, chucked them onto the back seat of their car, jumped in and drove off! Talk about spoil the magic. :lol:

I'vd had a mini roast dinner with veggie sausages, roast potatoes, stuffing, sprouts, peas and lashings of gravy. I think I'll be hitting the hay after The Chase and the Dragons. What a weekend!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 2nd, 2018, 8:02 pm

Did a lovely dinner today!

My version of corned beef hash in a large (ready-made) YP, with steamed savoy cabbage & gravy - YUM!

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 2nd, 2018, 9:08 pm

Time for bed, said Zebedee.

M****y tomorrow! :o

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 2nd, 2018, 9:08 pm

My appetite has gone..... struggled to eat a marinated beef skirt and stir fry veg wrap. I have now given in and gone back to bed. Would not have been able to do the lamb justice Suff.

Night all.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

Night both.

A Yorkshire pudding would've been a great addition to my dinner today.

I'm very pleased with myself. I have just ordered the perfect Christmas present online for my friend. I call her Chewie, as whenever we yack on the phone for hours into the night and start yawning at each other, she sounds like Chewbacca. :lol: She also suffers from bad circulation in her feet. So I have bought her a furry Chewie bed warmer that you heat in the microwave. I just know she is going to love it. I'll have trouble not spoiling the surprise!

Until tomorrow folks. Hope you feel better Zosh :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2018, 9:59 pm

Hadn't clocked that it was tomorrow for Sue. Best wishes :hug:.

The yeast sounds a bit odd.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 2nd, 2018, 10:08 pm

Got everything crossed for you Sue, will be thinking if you tomorrow :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2018, 10:40 pm

Thanks - but I’m not being “done” until Wednesday, early afternoon

Got a lens taken out of my spare specs this morning as I might feel a bit seasick with one eye at 0 d and one at -10.5 (that’s a huge difference)

Made my Gulyas, yum
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 3rd, 2018, 1:32 am

dennispc wrote: Is it OK to use do you think?

personally, i wouldn't. yeast is usually a beige colour not pinkish - there are some other yeasts/fungi that are pinkish and i don't think they're that good for you. it also wouldn't come out of the fridge warm unless it had only just gone in warm or there were some strange, rather strong, energy releasing reactions going on.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 3rd, 2018, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, sunny here today but storms forecast on all the weather sites tomorrow :o
There was some very nice food being prepared yesterday. We had ham sandwiches for tea.
Mentioning food, when we were over at the Artemis Taverna there were delicious smells coming from the kitchen.They were making Chicken & Kolokassi, a dish unique to Cyprus, seldom found outside domestic kitchens. It is basically a chicken casserole, Kolokassi is a tasteless tuber similar to taro, there are the other usual vegetables in it as well. At this time of year most of the Artemis customers are local, hence local dishes.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2018, 7:18 am

A lie in until 7am !!!! Unheard of in this household...... Too early tho' to tell if I feel any better today, thanks for your wishes everyone.... I have another :shock: blood test at 11am so need to make sure I can get the car out before the builders arrive at 8am. Let's hope this one is normal. I suspect not as I have been hitting the over the counter drugs with a vengeance with this lurgy, so that will probably upset the reading. I am going to mention my earache to nursey and hope she can 'do' something for me.

That local dish sounds different Moira, why would they not do it for tourists ?

Good luck for Wed. Sue :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 3rd, 2018, 7:48 am

Good morning wild ones. It is very wet here this morning, it must have rained quite heavy during the night. I have to troop across town this morning to drop off repeat, script request, such a faff. :rolleyes: Good luck Wednesday Sue. :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We’ve slept in too :shock: !!! :D OH is making coffee ....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 3rd, 2018, 10:14 am

scullion wrote:
dennispc wrote: Is it OK to use do you think?

personally, i wouldn't. yeast is usually a beige colour not pinkish - there are some other yeasts/fungi that are pinkish and i don't think they're that good for you. it also wouldn't come out of the fridge warm unless it had only just gone in warm or there were some strange, rather strong, energy releasing reactions going on.

Yes, either it’s autolysing (self digesting) - or it’s infected with a bacteria or mould. I can think of one common pink bacterial pest, not very nasty, but not something you want around. Use anti-bac spray for clean up and wash your hands well

It’s sunny here, going for a hair cut at noon, need to get moving as I have to find some gifts for the Christmas collection en route

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We didn't sleep in because the sun was shining. :bounce: :bounce: Bed changed, linen now hanging out to dry. How long this continues I don't know but it's my version of making hay!

One of the guests at yesterday's lunch was our neighbour who was , it turns out, knows a great deal anout the hsitory of the two adjacent hameau (x?). Ours was based around a protestant family, which we knew but the next one was catholic. He says that's why a couple of families are still at daggers drawn. He also told us that one of the oldest houses here, where our Danish friends first lived but has been empty for nearly 10 years due to a land dispute - not French at all! - has been sold. It is potentially a lovely house. The land in dispute included several very nice out buildings to which the previous owner had claimed ownership. However the court upheld our neighbour's claim and ruled that they are his. It's only taken 30 years apparently!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2018, 10:40 am

Sounds like Jarndyce v Jarndyce Rats :shock:

Just swallowing another :mug: before we head out to the city and the Castle museum ... we're treating ourselves to a day looking at art ... some interesting sounding exhibitions on at the https://www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/norw ... xhibitions and the cafeteria usually provides a good lunch :D

I'd better put some shoes on .......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 3rd, 2018, 10:40 am

Oh dear Rats - what’s French for Jarndyce v Jarndyce? :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 3rd, 2018, 10:45 am

One here for Rats and any other French dwellers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46329850
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 3rd, 2018, 12:00 pm

Thanks scullion and Sue.

The yeast is beige as I would expect, I think the pink on the work top came from the colour of the paper bag it was in, hence it was probably autolysing. I will get in touch with Sainsbury’s, particularly as it came from their in-house bakery.

I’ve now taken it out of our fridge to see if it warms up again.

IMG_0418.jpg

The paper bag it was in and stain on work top - ignore the oats in the background - after I'd used Cif on it.

stain.jpg
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2018, 12:41 pm

Back from the Quacks.... Nuther :rolleyes: blood test (3rd) and we have both been seen about our current (week old) lurgy. Apparently she has seen 3 others this morning with the same symptoms. I have a prescription for 'just in case' I show no improvement within 3 days.

Whilst out I finally purchased our haunch of wild boar steaks for Christmas Day - they are not huge but I am sure with everything else, we will not go hungry. I also collected 20 litres of used engine oil from our garage bloke, this will be poured down every mole channel and hole that we can find ! He will have the container back tomorrow when Mr. Z. fulfils my script.

I am currently back in bed with a hot blackcurrant and another co-codamol. Apparently my ears are bad because I have narrow channels. Flagging on the energy front.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

Thanks PP and lovely to hear from you. This village has featured quite a lot in the English newspapare The Connexion. I have to say that a very similar feeling in our village - if not so public. We often get asked rather anxiously if we thing we might have to leave and our reply ( in FRench)is always "No, not unless you kick us out!" The reply yesterday was "Who will make the Maince pees when Pere Noel arrives?"

I have discovered, by the way that Janrdyce and Jardyce is just the same in French! Except the French don't really do Dickens.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 3rd, 2018, 1:49 pm

The UK High Commission are holding meetings in various expat centres re Brexit, they seem to have regular "your Questions answered" column local Sunday paper. The most frequent questions are about the status of various properties and the Cypriot Health Service. At present anyone who can prove that they are a British pensioner is entitled to health treatment on a par with Cypriot pensioners.
We do have the advantage that many Cypriots go to the UK for their higher education.

Braised lamb shanks for supper, I was going to use the slow cooker but they are too big, it is small cooker, so they are in the oven on a low heat. There will be garlic mash, leeks and broccoli to go with them. Small problem shall I take the meat off the bone prior to serving?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » December 3rd, 2018, 3:32 pm

Thanks, BBC, for not forecasting heavy rain this afternoon while I was out with the dogs. Soaked!

I have a gammon in the slow cooker, with cauliflower cheese ready to be popped into the halogen. I've lost 3lbs this week, and hub, 4lbs.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2018, 3:59 pm

Zosh ... i know moles are a nuisance but i find it hard to believe that you intend to illegally pollute the environment with waste oil ... risking your own health and that of neighbours and wildlife ... :cry:

I also find it hard to credit that your garage man has risked his business and reputation
by contravening legally enforceable régulations about the recycling of waste engine oil. :shock:

Im sorry ... but you once said you valued my tendency to ‘say it how it is’.

Edited to add link: https://www.gov.uk/dispose-hazardous-waste
Last edited by suffolk on December 3rd, 2018, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 3rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

Have to say I'm with Suffs on this one Zosh. Leaving aside the potential impact on the local environment I think you'd be leaving yourself wide open for your neighbours to take action against you. From what I understand, used engine oil is proper dangerous- contains carcinogenics and everything- and you'd certainly be risking prosecution and a fine.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm

Agree with Suffolk

I also think the oil will do more damage to the lawn than the moles ever did
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 3rd, 2018, 4:59 pm

My fresh yeast? Sainsburys tell me it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll find out tomorrow!
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2018, 6:40 pm

OK I have been out and collected all the oil and disposed of it in an environmentally friendly way !

:D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 3rd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Thank goodness Zosh. I too was really worried. I know the moles are a pain but getting rid of them shouldn't involve more damage. Good for you for doing it!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2018, 7:37 pm

:tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 3rd, 2018, 8:43 pm

There is a stuffed mole among the other stuffed creatures at Cliffe Castle museum in Keighley. Moles are such tiny things.

VERY intrigued about the yeast! :ugeek:

:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 3rd, 2018, 8:53 pm

When my Mum was a little girl she was looked after by the mole catcher’s daughter, and one of her prized possessions was a white mole skin
The interest in moles didn’t last, but she was a lifelong Kidderminster FC fan, caught from that family - one played for thrm
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2018, 9:45 pm

Evening all.

Good news about the change of mind on the mole oil Zosh. :tu: What the others said....

Good luck with the eye appointment Wednesday Sue. :hug:

Dunstablians were treated early this evening. Santa just went past here on his sleigh, which was on the back of an open back truck thing. Gridlock out there on a Monday thanks to him. Inconsiderate if you ask me. As far as I could see he wasn't giving out gifts, just collecting in buckets. He got as far as the Co-op then got off, after holding all the traffic up. Probably needed fags or something. Santas these days it seems can never see the magic through to the end and just disappear into the night after very little effort. No reindeers in sight. Not one. :cry: I hope that sleigh is gone in time for the early morning Warburton's delivery or there will be a local rebellion. :P

I'm off to catch up with Lily and her octopus after checking behind Grassy's door of course!

Happy sleeps everyone!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » December 3rd, 2018, 10:05 pm

Zosherooney wrote:OK I have been out and collected all the oil and disposed of it in an environmentally friendly way !

:D

I agreed with Suffs and all the others.
But I'm curious to know how you actually disposed of it in the end?
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2018, 10:15 pm

I ate it..... !

I shall take it to the recycle site next time I go to town......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-46427406

This (almost) happened to me. After just completing our last extension in our last house, I left a magnifying make up (plug in) mirror on a window ledge and later during a sunny spell could smell what I thought was lit matches. I found the mirror had scorched the paintwork :o :o :o we were very very lucky.
Last edited by Zosherooney on December 4th, 2018, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2018, 11:03 pm

Scary Zosh! Someone near where I used to live had a hole burnt in a curtain from a crystal thingy hanging in the window :shock: ! These things can happen so easily.

Hope things went OK for WW today :hug: and hope all goes well for Sue tomorrow :hug:

Time for bed ...night night all ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2018, 2:20 am

how about this, just behind the leach? needs a bit of renovation but a reasonable sized garden - big enough for a studio in the back garden and some veg plots. you won't get those down by the harbour!
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop