Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby cyprusmoira » December 4th, 2018, 6:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a very noisy storm at midnight, complete with hail. I have checked the kitchen ceiling, there do not seem to have been any leaks, Kyriakos will probably phone later to check.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 7:38 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Frosty here this morning ... looks like it’s going to be bright and dry ... to start with at least ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 7:50 am

Zosherooney wrote:I ate it..... !

I shall take it to the recycle site next time I go to town......

Take it back to the garage ... their customers’ bills will have included a charge to cover the waste oil disposal and they are responsible for disposing of it properly ... no reason why you should have to pay another waste disposal fee at your local recycling centre ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 4th, 2018, 8:11 am

Morning! Frosty in this bit of Norfolk too with sun trying to appear. Yesterday was a bit busy with 3 hours sleep after night shift and then the trip up here. Stopped at a services in sunshine and five minutes later it was raining so hard my umbrella was sopping just from crossing the car park. Was greeted with a lovely supper followed by a long sleep - what more could a girl want? :lol:.

I've read back. Glad you made that decision Zosh, perhaps we should start a thread on moles!

Have a good day folks ... We're out for a Christmas treat today :bounce:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2018, 8:34 am

Good morning
There was a case summer before last where a girl left a coffee jar full of water and those paper water flowers on a window sill and the sun through it ignited her bed and the house burned down. The fire officer on the radio commented that it’s one of those things you know is theoretically possible, but don’t expect to happen in real life, couldn’t agree more

That would just do me scully!

Woke up at some silly hour and never got back to sleep, no obvious reason

Cold and sunny here, have to wait in for Ocado then will try to go and get a new battery in my watch maybe, surprisingly difficult round here but there’s an actual watch repairer the other side of the market it seems.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

Good morning wild ones. I was expecting lots of ice and frost this morning, the gritters were out at silly o'clock this morning :rolleyes: but no frost or ice, just wet from the rain. We are out on a trek to buy a computer today, apparently PC world in I can't remember where :rolleyes: has one on show and in stock. Hmmmm we shall see.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2018, 9:22 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We woke up to thick fog but by 9.30 the sun burned through and is shining from a clear blue sky. Hopefully it will dry things out.

Several forest/ garrigue fires are caused here every year by irresponsible people throwing glas bottles and the like out of cars.

Everyone here is getting very fed up with the number of spam emails from yellow vests trying to get us to join them. I had 9 this morning. It seems Macron, like so many presidents before him is about to cave in over the fuel tax. Just as well I suppose because things are getting rather nasty with extremists jumping on the band wagon. Mr R says the sans coulottes never really vanished!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 4th, 2018, 9:29 am

It is getting very dark here, thunder is rumbling again, Back from LIDL, they had frozen venison (hurrah) although it was not mentioned in the on line flyer. I met a couple by the bakery dept, obviously British, I pointed them in the direction of a local bakery. I literally ran into them later, they have lived in Pissouri for a year, did I know Pissouri? A conversation ensued, someone has been teaching them Mah Jong, they knew about the Friday group and were thinking about joining it. I hope that having met a friendly face that they will do so.

The rain is hurling itself at the windows, lightning is jumping through clouds.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 11:04 am

Our bright morning has gone ... fog is rolling in :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 4th, 2018, 11:24 am

Good morning everyone,
Good luck for tomorrow Sue :hug: :hug:
Miserable wet & cold day here, I had been planning to go to the library but my Meniere's is making it's presence felt, I'll leave going there as I need to be on my feet and functioning tomorrow for the stove going in.
My son did a great job of stacking the logs, it was a job and half. I'm glad I only got two bags delivered on Friday as it involved 30+ wheel barrow trips as it was. Another two are coming on 21/12 :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 4th, 2018, 11:42 am

Good luck from me too Sue- we'll all be in the pocket :luv:

Zosh- seriously good call on the mole front. :tu:

As for accidentally setting the house on fire- Mr S was a notorious arsonist as a boy. He set fire to the inside of a wardrobe once and on another memorable occasion set fire to his brother's bed. He managed to successfully blame that one on sun shining through a magnifying glass. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm

our (ex) neighbour never minded the moles. she would gather the soil up and use it in the greenhouse said, it was really good.
i found a dead mole on our steps a few years ago (there were no obvious signs that it had been got by a cat), it had the most wonderful fur - like velvet made from air - a little denser than chinchilla fur - i did think about skinning it.
glad you're not being an 'enemy of the earth' with the oil. the word karma would have been flying around when your grass had died.

was he holding the magnifying glass at the time‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm

scullion wrote:was he holding the magnifying glass at the time‽‽

No, but there was one in the bedroom. His mum believed him but his brother didn't. Thankfully, his brother wasn't in the bed at the time. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Well Ocado hasn't arrived - because I didn't complete Checkout :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's quite difficult because the first couple of buttons you need to click are of the type that vanish if you have accessibility options turned on - yeas that really is a thing :twisted: But I've done it several times, so I know roughly where the button is and I can watch until the cursor changes then click, I just forgot - it's also off the bottom of the screen so I have to keep scrolling down

Confirmation email now received for rearranged time slot
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 1:54 pm

That doesn’t sound desperately accessible Sue :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 4th, 2018, 1:59 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit gloomy here with a forecast of the possibilities of storms. I hope that Patsy is better over in Kyrenia.

Yoo Hoo .... :wave: :wave: :wave: I got home at 1 am in the morning ... not planned, but due to the failing of Uber ... who I had intended using to collect me from T5 ... No network - and no other numbers for cab companies. So, jumped on a train, got off at Hatton garden thinking that once out of the confines of the airport, that network might be restored - WRONG ! .. 2 buses later and a mystery tour round the airport, West Drayton and finally Uxbridge, tried Uber again ... still no network coverage, so had to get a black cab the last part of the journey. Found the house very cold so straight to bed where I just got colder, so gave in and turned heating on, put on bed socks and heated a wheat pack .. then awake at 6.30 :shock:

Had a brilliant 7 days touring the historic delights of North Cyprus, but think I never want to see another ruin, mosque, cathedral or abbey for a long time. A lovely group of people too. Our half of the group stayed at a delightful quirky (eccentric) hotel in the centre of Kyrenia - run by husband and wife Turkish Cypriots. There was 5 of us, 4 ladies and a gentleman who was a retired headmaster with the most fantastic sense of humour - we called him our slave master and that we were his harem :lol: 8-) Also there was a retired gp, a part time choropodist, an 80 year old who said she was always too busy to watch tv, but could never explain what she was busy with, and me. The other half of the group had chosen a different, much more standard hotel, away from the town centre. Us at 'Nostalgia' thought they had drawn the short straw.

So weather was mainly good, everyone else seemed to feel the cold while I was always hot. We did get the storm the Moira speaks of on Saturday (or was it Sunday ) :?: :oops: I chose that day for bracing walk round the harbour and got soaked right through. Food was generally OK, but nothing really outstanding apart from the whole BBQ'd sea bream we had one day at a beach side restaurant. Lots of mezze which I enjoyed, but a total lack of food balancing; for instance one evening we had 'Cyprus pasta' for starter (basically penne pasta with a tomato sauce), followed by a chicken or beef stew that included potatoes with rice and vermicelli mix on the side. :o

I have brought back some Cyprus honey and something called 'black Olive oil' - a darker green that the norm, due to the olives being steamed, then left to ferment (is how our guide described it) and used as a dipping oil. I am looking forward to tasting it. Moira may be able to explain more ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Welcome home Pat. Glad you had a good holiday but sorry to hear about the lack of tansport.

Have just put the wheat in to soak so I can plant it tonight. Got to celebrate Ste Barbe correctly! Christmas has officially strated!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 4th, 2018, 2:27 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have brought back some Cyprus honey and something called 'black Olive oil' - a darker green that the norm, due to the olives being steamed, then left to ferment (is how our guide described it) and used as a dipping oil. I am looking forward to tasting it. Moira may be able to explain more ???

Try toasting pitta or good bread and drizzling the oil over it, probably better to do that in the sun, can you wait until next summer? You missed a terrific overnight storm, it affected the whole island and is still rumbling on.
I am surprised at your hotel not giving you decent vegetables, they are good at this time of year, I bought some excellent broccoli this morning. Were you given new seasons mandarins?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 4th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Welcome home Patsy, shame about the transfer problems this end....

We have had a bright morning with some odd bits of block and brick work being done, some more clearing and I have sorted the skip going and another one coming.... Scaffolding tomorrow and 500 lit. of oil (err, for heating).

Mr. Z. got up had a cup of T then went back to bed until 1pm..... he must have felt rough, he never does that. I have cancelled our financial visit, the ladies brekkie tomorrow and cooking for our friends (and a rug viewing) for Thursday... This bug is taking longer to go than we 1st thought. Now taking amoxicillin.... :tu: :tu:

We shared some soup for lunch and have wraps for supper. Nothing with too much effort....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Welcome back Patsy! :wave:

Glad you enjoyed yourself even if the grub left a little to be desired. Bet the Cyprus honey you brought back is fab however... :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I am surprised at your hotel not giving you decent vegetables, they are good at this time of year, I bought some excellent broccoli this morning. Were you given new seasons mandarins?

We had to request fruit, rather than the usual Cypriot style pastry deserts .. saw lots of citrus growing in the southern part of the area and even brought home a lemon that I picked myself, however no veg apart from carrots, augergines and peas really; certainly no broccoli, but always salad.

Edited to add that we saw lots of different veg in the markets we visited, but the hotel had a family style 'cook' rather than a trained chef.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 4th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Liketocook …. put this on your Christmas present list - ever seen a coal scuttle like this ? ;) Sorry it has turned out a bit dark - that's a drop down drawer at the bottom, but looks like a piece of furniture …
Attachments
Coalscuttle.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Is the back with the display shelf part of it? I’ve seen one that dropped forward just like that, but where the glass bowl is sitting it had ap padded leather top so you could use it as a stool
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm

My grandparents had one with a leather seat on top. But they only used it for the odd top up of the fire. It was difficult to get a shovel in, so the lumps of coal were removed by a gloved hand and the gloves were kept on the box on top of the coal.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Tongs! You need tongs! :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 4th, 2018, 11:10 pm

suffolk wrote:Tongs! You need tongs!

Definitely. Shovelling the coal on? What extravagance.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2018, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the kitchen ceiling did leak, given the amount of rain that we had, I am not at all suprised :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan wrote:We had to request fruit, rather than the usual Cypriot style pastry deserts
That is unusual, on this side of the island there is not usually what we would call dessert. Very often, especially in local tavernas you are served a complimentary small plate of seasonal fruit, it was similar when I was on holiday in Turkey years ago. The cakes and stickies such as baklava are served on their own

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2018, 7:05 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It’s still dark of course, but it looks very wet out there ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 8:06 am

StokeySue wrote:Is the back with the display shelf part of it? I’ve seen one that dropped forward just like that, but where the glass bowl is sitting it had ap padded leather top so you could use it as a stool

Yes, all of what you can see is wood is part of the piece … it stands about 48 inches high (from memory) The base is as tall as the side table it is in front of.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2018, 8:09 am

Morning! Yesterday cars were thick with ice. Today it is just damp.

Welcome back Pat! Sounds a very quirky place but lovely.

We had a wonderful time yesterday. Went to the matinee of the Christmas Spectacular at Thursford. The place is a steam museum which has grown over the years and people come from all over to see the Spectacular which is a song/dance/musical thing. The music was wonderful and included the Wurlitzer organ housed there. I thought that the eyes of the old boy in front of me were going to pop out as he watched the pretty dancing girls - he was in the front row and looked like a kid in a sweet shop, especially when the can can girls came in :lol:.
When we came out, all the trees were lit up and it looked magical. Christmas has started!

Better get moving, coffee has been enjoyed and the gardener has already put in his weekly hour :o . Norfolk hours .... :rolleyes:.

Have a good day all, hope the lurgies are improving. x
Last edited by earthmaiden on December 5th, 2018, 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 5th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. It is chucking it down :rolleyes: The new computer is wonderful :D Today I am not going anywhere, I might even dig the Christmas tree out :o it seems we are the only house without one :( Now it looks like it will be in the new year the floor is done I can get back to normal for Christmas :bounce: :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 8:15 am

cyprusmoira wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:We had to request fruit, rather than the usual Cypriot style pastry deserts
That is unusual, on this side of the island there is not usually what we would call dessert. Very often, especially in local tavernas you are served a complimentary small plate of seasonal fruit, it was similar when I was on holiday in Turkey years ago. The cakes and stickies such as baklava are served on their own

Apart from drinks, our holiday was all inclusive, so wherever we ate, the meal had been previously been arranged. We didn't get any choice, but that didn't bother me at all. The meals were usually 2 courses for lunch - mains and a desert - and this was just as likely to be the sweet stuff as fruit. I think they were catering for the English market.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 8:32 am

This is the hotel called Nostalgia … from the top : At the top of the stairs from my room ; the bottom of the stairs into the inside courtyard ; outside our hotel, my balcony is the second one .. this 'road' leads up into the town centre ; Our dining room .. it was previously a bakery, with other shops/residencies added on. it sloped down towards the harbour !
Attachments
cyprusmini.jpg
cyrprustopstairs.jpg
Cyprusroom.jpg
cyprusdiningroom.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 8:34 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2018, 8:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I can't belive it, the sun is shining again. That's three days in a row. On Sunday, at the wine fair, we were taking to the lady who comes down with her Champagne. Mr R said he noticed she had brought the northern weather with her and she said, on the contrary they had had an unusually dry autumn.

We've got our tree and the lady who sold it - she comes from the Alps - gave every customer a baby tree to plant. We haven't really anywhere to plant it. Our front garden gets far too hot in the summer. I wonder if it would do OK in the northfacing back in a pot?

The hoel has plenty of what I think is called character Pat!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2018, 9:19 am

Good morning
Not sure if I’ll bother with a tree this year, but the boys over the road have nice ones at a good price ...
Getting going slowly with :mug:
Thought I’d lost my headphones but they were of course in the usual Lost Property department, behind the cushion in the corner of the sofa

Patsy, presumably the hotel’s main clientele is English / German / Dutch / Danish and perhaps they think these northerners expect puds? Turkish and Turkish Cypriot restaurants here in little Istanbul tend to give you a very small dessert gratis, just a square of baklava or a couple of stuffed apricots.

Stay dry everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2018, 9:24 am

Pat, I know several people who have stayed at the Nostalgia independently and enjoyed it, they had the advantage of being able to drive there!
Pity about the food as Turkish food is usually excellent.

The weather here has improved but I was on the bedroom balcony earlier looking down to the sea, I could see large waves. If the waves look big from here the must be enormous as we are a couple of miles away.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 9:25 am

StokeySue wrote:Patsy, presumably the hotel’s main clientele is English / German / Dutch / Danish and perhaps they think these northerners expect puds? Turkish and Turkish Cypriot restaurants here in little Istanbul tend to give you a very small dessert gratis, just a square of baklava or a couple of stuffed apricots.

that was my thinking .. I have emailed them praising their helpfulness and friendliness .. but did mention the catering had room for improvement.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 5th, 2018, 9:56 am

Oh that's wonderful Patsy! :D It reminds me a bit of the Drovers Inn near Loch Lomond if anyone knows it. Similar quirkiness.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2018, 10:59 am

Love it Patsy ... we like quirky :tu: (although we do like good food too ... perhaps they'll get a new cook .... one day?)

Right, the remains of the weekend's shoulder of lamb is simmering away with carrots, leek bits, celery and bay leaves .... more veg will be added this afternoon it will be turned into Scotch Broth for supper ... OH has requested No Dumplings!!! :o He's concerned about his 'white flour' intake as his manager at his new job keeps feeding him with sausage rolls, doughnuts and choc chip cookies :lol:

A batch of pastry is resting in the fridge ... a bit of baking will be done in a little while ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 5th, 2018, 11:24 am

suffolk wrote:his manager at his new job keeps feeding him with sausage rolls, doughnuts and choc chip cookies :lol:

Sounds like my sort of boss! :D :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2018, 11:30 am

Seatallan wrote:
suffolk wrote:his manager at his new job keeps feeding him with sausage rolls, doughnuts and choc chip cookies :lol:

Sounds like my sort of boss! :D :tu:

He feels it would be rude to refuse :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » December 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm

And I doubt he has put on a single pound either!

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Nope ... not a single solitary ounce :mrgreen:

Sue... Apparently there’s an ‘armed police stand off’ situation in Stoke Newington. :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I hope Sue got away for her hospital appointment.

We are very cross here. Our lovely Sonia had a chemo appointment yesterday but couldn't make it because of a yellow jacket blockage - even of ambulance taxis and actual ambulances. It really has to be stopped. Three people have died already. How many more?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Rats that is awful ... and so sad ... she must be quite distressed :x :cry: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm

She is by no means the only one Suffs. Sonia was quite sanguine about it - her husband was taking part in the demonstrations but has now stopped.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 5th, 2018, 5:14 pm

:wave: :wave: We probably should have given our bodies some more time to recover but bargains and deals wait for no one ! We hired a van and collected 9 doors with furniture that match our existing.... for £30 from South Swindon. They are now stashed in our drive thu garage and will keep dry there for the time being.

During the day yellow water has been running from my nose, transpires I have infected sinus's - Thankfully the amoxicillin will be sorting that out. This is a very strange lurgy. We have shopped as well and collected some RTC items which will feed us in the sort term. Now crashed out for the evening...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Good evening everyone,
Hope the op went well Sue :hug:
Glad you had a good holiday Patsy and thanks for sharing the photo. I've never seen a coal scuttle like that before!
I have both tongs and a shovel - I like to keep my options open ;) :lol:
My stove is in and I'm delighted with it :D . Despite me mainly lurking and staying out of the way it has been a long and tiring day not helped by it being bitterly cold and wet here but pointless putting the heating on with constant doors open! It will be 2-3 days before I can use it to allow the surrounding plaster to dry. I will need to redecorate one wall but I knew that and I'll worry about it in the New Year.
Occupied myself this morning making a big pot of lentil and bacon soup which went down well at lunchtime as the guys all had a big mug with their pack ups.
Dinner tonight will be something quick and I think a small :cocktail: may be consumed. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Thanks for news - the armed police apparently went home at lunch time, and it wouldn’t have affected me

Just waiting for last medication to come from pharmacy then I’ll go home
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop