Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby StokeySue » February 7th, 2019, 10:26 am

Good morning
So far dry and fairly bright here

Will go out soon

The rice thing is interesting - 57g is weirdly precise, I’d guess either translated from 2oz or a volume measure. I use a quarter cup measure for myself and it’s an ample amount but I just checked the weight - exactly 50g of brown Basmati but 59g of white Basmati which probably explains why I tend to leave a little bit of white :D

Woke up with a strange discomfort in my back - in this case it’s not me that’s wearing out but my mattress protector, the top is 100% padded and quilted cotton which is in fairly reasonable condition but the stretchy sides have lost their stretch and it works itself into furrows

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 7th, 2019, 10:46 am

Back from swinging Paphos ;) There was a splendid rainbow in front of me for the last part of the journey into the town. Visited the big supermarket, they are excellent for foreign cheeses and because of the large ex patriate population have a good selection of spices and oriental items so worth the visit. I good hear a lot of German being spoken, they have probably come for a few weeks in winter.

Fascinating about Otzi, I would love to hear that ralk

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby uschi » February 7th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Moira, some German states have half term holidays, so a few families may have made a dash for the Med.
Northrhine-Westphalia, alas, must do without.
uschi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Quite warm again today but not so much sunshine.

There was a german family in the suoermarket this morning Uschi. I thought thhere must be a holiday. The kids here have their snow fortnight beginning next week.

I hope things are happier at work today Tezza
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm

752B2CA4-DCEE-424D-BD74-FA7346B4F589.jpeg

You may remember that a couple of years ago Chinch found the lovely Harrie(t) to console DD and SSIL who’d just lost their much loved cat. We went to visit yesterday to celebrate SSIL’s half century ... I thought you might like to see this lovely pic of the Birthday Boy and Harrie :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm

What a lovely photo, Harrie is still a lovely girl. Please send SSIL our very best wishes for his half century! Saw Nephew on Look East yesterday, must get his good looks from his Auntie.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 7th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Well, that cat certainly landed on its feet! :luv:

Got to the snowdrop place but in the end only one person turned up, a man I don't have a great deal in common with. I did my best at conversation and endured a lunch of lukewarm Maggi-style soup at a pub he had recommended and was rewarded by being asked if I would like to go out with him again.

Further to Otzi, I stopped in my tracks whilst watching the recent programme with Anthony Gormley looking at prehistoric art when he said that at the time (I think somewhere in the region of 25,000 years ago) there were 50,000 people in the whole of Europe. I brought the subject up last night and our speaker saud yes, even 5,000 years ago they estimate there were only around 50,000 people in the whole of Europe. That is close to the population of Banbury today. It really puts life at that time both in the light of dangers and availability of food and goods and interactions with others into some perspective doesn't it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 7th, 2019, 5:16 pm

earthmaiden wrote:asked if I would like to go out with him again.

And............????? :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Life's a bit busy at the moment Chinch ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 7th, 2019, 5:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » February 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm

suffolk wrote:Good idea EM ... never known an office to leave cake uneaten :tu:

Or biccies, for that matter :chops:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 7th, 2019, 11:49 pm

My pals, have a wonderful rest this evening. Haven't had a chance to pop in or read back on your exciting adventures today. I am waiting for him below to run out of steam on a very vibrant telephone call that's been going on for two hours. He will fall asleep at some point. Bl**dy hell! No change at work except I feel more comfortable with myself about keeping things together. Had a lovely fish pie tonight, chat with mum, sis, dad, neph. That's what it's all about, whatever other carp is going on.

Another blustery evening here. Keep warm and safe folks :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2019, 6:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we have had a small thunderstorm, now it just raining. I don't think that I shall be taking advantage of the car washing facilities over in Pissouri.
That is a handsome cat, Suffs.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 8th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning wild ones. It's pelting down, it's getting quite breezy too. I have tied the garden chairs to the table so they don't blow away, the weather report has just said we may get 75 mph winds later :shock: Oh well back to tell painting and decorating for me. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 7:58 am

Good morning all :) :mug:
Plumber due in an hour to assess washbasin and decide what’s to be done. I’d better drink this coffee and get dressed ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2019, 9:33 am

earthmaiden wrote:Further to Otzi, I stopped in my tracks whilst watching the recent programme with Anthony Gormley looking at prehistoric art when he said that at the time (I think somewhere in the region of 25,000 years ago) there were 50,000 people in the whole of Europe. I brought the subject up last night and our speaker saud yes, even 5,000 years ago they estimate there were only around 50,000 people in the whole of Europe. That is close to the population of Banbury today. It really puts life at that time both in the light of dangers and availability of food and goods and interactions with others into some perspective doesn't it.

Absolutely. I love that sort of thing- completely fascinating. As for poor Otzi- isn't it tantalizing that we'll never know what the back story was?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 9:38 am

Our new plumber is a very good timekeeper ... so far :D
He’ll get us a similar washbasin and use the same taps but a new pop up plug hole thingummy. We should be back to normal week after next. In the meantime OH’s temporary repair with Sugru is doing the job as long as we don’t fill the basin with really hot water.
Last edited by suffolk on February 8th, 2019, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 9:42 am

Chinchilla_lady wrote:What a lovely photo, Harrie is still a lovely girl. Please send SSIL our very best wishes for his half century! Saw Nephew on Look East yesterday, must get his good looks from his Auntie.

I told Bro what you said ... he tried to disagree ... I said you were not a woman to be argued with :whip2:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2019, 11:02 am

Good morning
:wave: Harrie and SSIL

Overcast here and a bit mis weather wise

I went to John Lewis and bought a replacement mattress topper, 100% quilted cotton top just like the last one except they’ve changed the elasticated skirt a bit, which is A Good Thing as that’s what failed on the old one, but it’s years old. Can’t believe how much more comfortable it is sleeping on something that stays put, should have done it months ago :oops:

Just started pouring. Laundry calls

Stay cosy everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

Good morning everyone,
Lovely photo suffs :)
It's very windy here with torrential showers and odd spells of sunshine. I nipped to the bin and just about got blown over and it's fair to say I'm no feather weight. :shock:
Despite a "duvet day" yesterday I'm till looking for my oomph but I finish the antibiotics today so hope it might return over the weekend but until it does I'm just taking it easy. I've discovered that "All Creatures Great & Small" is on YouTube and as I'm re-reading (and thoroughly enjoying) the books at the moment I plan to indulge in a good bit of nostalgic TV watching until the weather improves. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 11:44 am

The wind has blown the purple sprouting broccoli plants askew ... OH says he’ll go out and re-stake them ... when he’s finished what he’s doing ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2019, 12:15 pm

That is indeed a lovely pic Suffs. :luv: Not sure which one of them is the best looking! :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hello!

Just popping in over Fat Friday lunch. Egg mayo and salad in French baguette. I wish I could attach a photo of it. I have measured it. It is 9" long by 5" girth. :shock: I think it will be more lady like to eat the filling out with a fork and then have a go at getting my face around some of the bread element.

That weather through the night was again noisy and much damage to garden sheds in my street.

Right, time to continue with this blockbuster of a sandwich! :scared:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Seatallan wrote:That is indeed a lovely pic Suffs. :luv: Not sure which one of them is the best looking! :)

LOL :D I’ll tell DD ... she’ll agree with you. He’s not bad for 50 is he 8-) Lovely chap as well :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2019, 1:11 pm

liketocook wrote:It's very windy here with torrential showers and odd spells of sunshine

Sounds like Cyprus :lol:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 8th, 2019, 1:21 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
liketocook wrote:It's very windy here with torrential showers and odd spells of sunshine

Sounds like Cyprus :lol:

Moira

Betten down the hatches all round ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

We have been out most of the morning. Because there is vitually no market tomorrow and our butcher is in the Caribbean we took off to Fresh. Fatal. Far too many good things so came home with a very large crab, A rib of Charolais beef. some bergamots and some Sicilian lemons - among other things. Came home to a string of phone calls and missed calls so by the time they had been dealt with it was lunch time. I had planned a fattouch and did in fact manage to make it - if a little late.

Now waiting for Olivier to turn up to open our American neighbours gate so Mr R can put a huge box which arrived for her unannounced yesterday and was dumped in our veranda. That woman is beyond belief she thinks everything and everyone one revolves around her. She just issues orders from Thailand or wherever she is right now. I'm all for putting it out in front of her door but the men are far too polite.

It's sunny here and really quite warm.

That is one gorgeous kitty Suffs.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 2:31 pm

She’s got a lovely nature Rats, but she is a Daddy’s girl ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2019, 2:41 pm

The postman has just delivered two parcels, one was Deb's original order which should have arrived before Christmas :o , the other is the replacement order, it was posted nine days ago.
The new Lakeland catalogue has also arrived.
Rats, I am jealous about the crab. I can get bergamots here, ours are a type of citrus, good for marmalade.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I ordered a small pack of coffee filters for my AeroPress, not appreciating they would come from China. When they arrived the courier forced them into my mail box, breaking the lock. An expensive repair for a £3.40 delivery, but I don’t know which courier brought it as only the name of the Chinese courier is visible and I can’t identify the UK partner. Grrr
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

suffolk wrote:She’s got a lovely nature Rats, but she is a Daddy’s girl

And that picture shows Daddy thinks the world of her too :luv: :luv:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Yup! :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Evenin' all. I've been AWOL! Busy day... Scaffolding down, Last bit of our furniture has arrived - we gave them a bottle of wine for bringing it over for us. Calculated and ordered coral sandstone for the snug platform supporting the wood burning stove. Researched the adhesive for the sandstone. The ladies from Restorative Justice have spent nearly 2 hours with us. :scared: :evil: as recent as yesterday has been misbehaving again. How can they expect us to move into a positive zone when she behaves in such a negative way...

Moussaka ding dinner for supper. I think Mr. Z can manage that.... :tu: Tomato Mozzarella and basil for starter... :chops:

We have a chap here tomorrow who will be removing the drilled residue to the skip in readiness for the screed that hopefully will be going down on Monday.

Lovely wooser Suff, looks a bit like my old Bella Bubble.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » February 8th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Ratatouille wrote:A rib of Charolais beef.

Ooh, I’d forgotten, we’re staying with family just a few miles from Charolles.

And, I’m embarrassed to admit, it was only a couple of years ago that I made the connection between Charolais and Charolles. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » February 9th, 2019, 12:29 am

hey suffolk, i haven't seen a cottage this close down to the front at this price for a long time!
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 9th, 2019, 7:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, raining again :rolleyes: I know that we need the rain but it does limit your activities. However there is a wonderful display anemones :D

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 9th, 2019, 8:06 am

Good morning wild ones. It is blowing a right old holly has been since early hours. I had to retrieve the garden chairs despite tying them down. I think there will be quite a lot of wind damage out there this morning. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

Morning everyone :wave:

No market today so we are catching up on things we have put off for too long. The sun is shining though and it is mild so outdoor jobs are on the list.
The anemones must be a gorgeous sight Moira. The first wild flowers of spring are so cheering and welcome.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

Morning everyone.

We didn't fancy anything on TV last night, so I ssearched netflix and found 'Film stars don't die in Liverpool'. Despite a somewhat slow start, we stuck with it, ending up in tears (though Mr Sloe denied it!). A flim to watch on a weekend evening with a glass of red to hand.

I wish we still had cats...
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2019, 10:08 am

Good morning all :D :mug: :mug: :mug:
Jolly windy here, but at least it’s dry and bright ... hatches are battened tho and OH will have to hang onto his hat when he cycles to work in a minute ... however it’s a bit milder ... we’re seeing what it’s like without the heating ... and daffodil leaves are emerging all over the gardens ...

Must keep buying the lottery tickets Scully ... it should be our turn soon ...

Edited to add: Heating is going back on! Brrrr!
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 9th, 2019, 11:12 am

I think you are very brave even considering switching the heating off Suffs.

It’s still very cold and windy here, the car door was ripped out of my hand earlier. Luckily nothing for it to bash into.

Currently at Mums, getting her up to go for dialysis. Lots better than she was, but it’s a slow road to recovery. Still got a chest infection, hoping that this course of antibiotics will sort it out.

Washing in the machine. A day of the usual household chores beckons.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 9th, 2019, 11:27 am

Morning all,

Another night (four in a row?) of fiercely howling wind. More fences down, although I do think it's the same ones that are just being propped back up again every time they come down. It has to be expensive refencing I guess.

I might get the bus into town this afternoon. I do need meds from Boots. I had my third gas engineer round at 8am to earth the old gas pipe now that I am connected to the newly fitted gas mains. We have had major disruptions since works started in the autumn in town. Apparently lots of power cuts yesterday. Wouldn't know, wasn't here.

I am going to check out that film Sloe... :tu:

Last word from me on car share... :rolleyes: I think it has resolved itself naturally. Two days of bad atmosphere wasn't good for an office of twelve. Day three car share lady didn't turn in. Three colleagues came over and asked me if I was okay in various ways. One colleague told me never get a taxi home again, I'll drop you off, but I do have to pick my dog up from my dog sitter along the way. She brought me home last night. I'll buy her pooch treats in return as she won't take petrol money. So, we then had Fat Friday :hungry: and the mood was very high amongst the heap of calls we were receiving. Then CSL rolled in three hours late, apologising for lateness (roadworks :?:) and the mood plummeted. We then all left at dead on five while she had to stay on and make an hour of time up alone. I feel horrible for saying it but she has shot herself in the foot really. No need for anyone to be so nasty without getting facts straight first. I know I said in a previous post I'd forgive her.....it's not going to happen. I have plans in place so that car share is not long term. :wink:

Right, on with the day! Have a good one folks!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » February 9th, 2019, 11:33 am

Wind had me awake in the night, weather not H :lol:

I was up a 6am & in M&S by 8, now working my way up to hoovering.
I picked Molly’s ashes up yesterday so have taken to talking to a box in the hallway, I know its just ash but we will scatter her in some of her favourite places in Spring :hug:

Feeling much better now apart from a daft, annoying tickling cough.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2019, 11:35 am

Good morning everyone,
My it was wild during the night and there is quite a bit of damage locally. Thankfully apart from the fence at the front between my neighbours and myself, I can't see anything else that been affected. The fence was on it's last legs anyway and we had agreed to replace it in the summer so no real harm done. It's still blowing a hooley but seems to be beginning to die back slowly.
I'm still feeling pretty wiped out so happy to have another easy day. I need to sort out a grocery order for the beginning of the week but other than that I've nothing that desperately needs doing.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » February 9th, 2019, 11:41 am

Tezza it doesnt sound like she has been nasty maybe she is just going through her own shit at the minute & your missing text added to or compounded her shit, walk a mile in someone else’s shoes & all that, life’s to short for negativity or being judged by those that in the scheme of things, dont matter.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2019, 11:56 am

I agree with Purps ... we none of us know what’s going on in other’s lives ... and it’s good to forgive ... but don’t forget without learning from the experience then rise above and move on. Sounds as if there’s a good team around you :) :hug:

Glad you’re feeling brighter all around Purps :hug:

LTC my knees been a bit irritable over the last couple of days so I’ll volunteer to help you hold the sofa down today ... knitting, good book and :mug: to hand :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2019, 12:59 pm

suffolk wrote:I agree with Purps ... we none of us know what’s going on in other’s lives ... and it’s good to forgive ... but don’t forget without learning from the experience then rise above and move on. Sounds as if there’s a good team around you :) :hug:

Glad you’re feeling brighter all around Purps :hug:

LTC my knees been a bit irritable over the last couple of days so I’ll volunteer to help you hold the sofa down today ... knitting, good book and :mug: to hand :D

I've two sofas with snuggly throws, we can have one each :D :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Sorted LTC :hi5: :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 9th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Tezza, It does seem is if the rest of your colleagues are fine and sympatheitic . Perhaps they know of the other lady's troubles if she has any. I jus can't bear to be at odds with other people even when I have possible justification. It only makes for misery. Gran used to say, be bigger than those who want to upset you. She didn't mean be a doormat but to try and see beyond the annoyance.

Glad you are feeling better Purps.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 9th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Purps :hug:

I have three of those boxes in my bedroom. The time has never felt right to scatter them anywhere. I have moved location since each one passed, never to return. They have given me great comfort through my troubles just being there. I hope your scattering is very peaceful for you. :hug:

I have been thinking about forgiveness and other people's worries all day. I think I have had a brief glimpse into CSL's life and all has seemed well on face value to me, but thinking about it, maybe she has issues outside of work that has not come to my attention that others at work know about. I now just don't trust her, so will keep a distance. If it was just a case of one missed text then that would have been forgivable and a technology fault, but to then deny sending me texts and photos of her snowed in garden over that weekend.....???? I still have it all on my phone. I don't need liars and/or accussors in my life. And yes, I think I have a good team around me at work and will put this as experience. And just to add, if she ever needed me for anything, I would not be able to turn my back.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop