Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm

You’ve a kind heart Tezza :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 10th, 2019, 1:07 am

We have been to town and have chosen the tiles for the new bathroom. I need to make some calls on Monday re the shower pan but apart from that, it's been bit of a lazy day.... The weather has been awful with storm Eric but it has given us piles of kindling.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 10th, 2019, 7:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, you may remember that Deb put her old wheelbarrow outside the front gate for collection. It took a couple of days but a car slowed down, the driver peered at the barrow, an hour later a pick up truck stopped, the barrow was collected. Freecycle Cyprus style :!:

We have had difficulty cooking items that require finishing off under the grill or need transfer into the oven, A couple of months ago I bought a set of two heavy Tefal pans with a detachable handle. I cooked the family version of Spanish Potato Omelette yesterday, finished off under the grill of the combi oven with great success. I may try Tarte Tartine next.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2019, 7:54 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I’ve slept in .... :shock:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » February 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

Morning Suffs, I managed 7am now on my 2nd :mug:

I feel much better, though about going for a run then started with this lingering cough :evil:

Not sure on todays plans yet.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » February 10th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning wild ones. Guess what,...It's raining :rolleyes: at least the howling wind has gone. Back to decorating today. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

Morning all. Just raining hard here. The howling wind has been replaced by the noise of more digging by gas workmen right outside my window.

Home hair colour for me today and whip my mop round.

Have a lovely Sunday all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 10th, 2019, 10:35 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's very dull here today. I don't think we'll be eating on the terrace at friends' house!
Nice to have a day out o f the kitchen and 2 more next week. To David in the village for Valentine's evening. Normally don't go out but this time is rather special because we will be marking 60 years since our first date! then Sunday we're out fro lunch at one of our fav spots which is reopeneing after their winter break and its Mr R's birthday on Saturday.

Here's the menu for the 14th
https://www.leclosdelaglycine.fr/fr/page-menus-de-fetes

Stay warm and dry and don't overdo the decorating or the hairdying :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2019, 10:42 am

That sounds delicious Rats :drool:

Veg for tonight’s supper have been prepped ... it’ll be roast leg of pork with roast potatoes and parsnips with carrots, cauliflower and white sauce and a sage and apple gravy ... OH is working again today so I’ll read and draw and knit and find an old film to watch ... a proper Sunday afternoon :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

My French ain't great but I can understand enough of the menu to be salivating Rats :chops: :D

Suffs, Mr S would be green with envy if I told him what you're having for tea. :hungry:

Have a good day all :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2019, 12:04 pm

A quick :wave:. I caught the bug which has pulled GD and family down for the past couple of weeks. I haven't got out of bed since Friday but feel a bit better today. I am rather disappointed as I have had a couple of days in London booked for a while, due to travel today and particularly wanted to see the Anglo Saxon Kingdoms exhibition at the British Library which finishes on 19th. I have been refunded for the most expensive things such as accommodation and at least am not letting anyone else down.

:hug: :hug: for all who need them. Pleased to hear that there is a slight improvement with your mother BB. x
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Good morning
It’s national pulses day which I will be unintentionally celebrating as I have a beautiful gammon hock to deal with

Overcast here but currently not raining, in defiance of the forecast

Overslept drastically but never mind must have needed it

Trying desperately to think of something to make for cook book club on Wednesday, I really don’t want to buy the book as it’s big and expensive and based on drawings and diagrams I don’t think I can use - reviews say the Kindle version is poor. The book is Niki Segnit’s Lateral Cooking, which sounds like my kind of thing so it’s a shame. Niki herself will be there to talk about it. I think I might make a family recipe that I have changed a lot over the years

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm

if you 'look inside' the book on amazzzzzzon you'll be able to see if the drawings are too poor to see. they have a few in the extract.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm

It’s national pulses day which I will be unintentionally celebrating

Snap - I didn't realise that either, and I've got a portion of post-Christmas cassoulet defrosting for this evening. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 10th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Back from walking the dog on the beach, not legal but you can get away with it at this time of year. Only one Kite Surfer, I thought that there would be more as there is a brisk breeze..
The local paper is writing about next months Paphos Marathon, no, I am not entering. As part of the overall activities there is a 5KM run the next weekend up at Kathikas, it begins and ends at the Vasilikon winery, all those finishing receive a bottle of wine :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 10th, 2019, 5:39 pm

EM, what a shame you've missed your London trip. Hope you feel properly better very soon. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 10th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Good evening everyone,
Shame about missing your trip EM, hope you feel properly better soon :hug: :hug: .
It started of bright & frosty here this morning and once the frost had lifted I had intended to have trundle round the block to get some fresh air, Between the lurgy & the weather I've not been further than the wheelie bin in nearly a week. Best laid plans and all that..., firt my Dad and then my sister popped by for :mug: :mug: and catch ups and by the time they went and I'd had a late lunxh it had started raining. :( It's stopped now and it's suppose to get well below 0C overnight. Should be a bright day tomorrow and I'll get out then. Plans also to make pea & ham soup were also thwarted as the piece of gammon I was going to use for stock had hardly defrosted overnight in the fridge so another task for tomorrow's to do :) .
Braised steak and onions for dinner tonight :D :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » February 10th, 2019, 8:35 pm

We had an amazing dinner today. Mum got a lamb leg joint from Aldi, which came in a deep foil tray, was covered in a 'rosemary crumb' and topped with a big dollop of garlic butter. All I had to do was take it out of the box, peel the film lid off, put some foil on & pop it in the oven @ 180 deg until it was cooked. We had it with mash, steamed carrots, peas & gravy.
Was quite impressed, but the only spoiler was rather a lot of bone in the lamb, & it was a bit stringy.

Still tasted delish tho :chops:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 10th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Mixed day here, catalogued my small DF with will entice me to use items up, now that I know what is actually in it! Cut 'his' hair.

Lunch was devoured and having cooked biscuits, decided that even with the negative vibes coming from :evil: next door and the suggestions from Restorative Justice to 'be nice' Mr. Z. dropped round with a bag of HM biscuits but got nothing from ringing the doorbell twice so left them on the door step and fired off an explanative e-mail of 'effort' so they knew where they came from. Some hours later received an e-mail back asking us to refrain from visiting 'her' as it would have been distressing for her !!!!!!! Both ours and their e-mails now forwarded to RJ so they can see what 'tremendous' effort they are making. I give up !!!!! I truly think they are going through the motions and have no intention of remedying this awful situation at all.

On a positive note, we have internal trades here this week, platform will be constructed in the snug for stove, coral sandstone paving will be adhered to back corner wall and then the wood burning stove will be situated on the 18th - hugely excited !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » February 10th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Zosh - how frustrating! It seems to me that you are trying your best to build bridges, but neighbours don't want to know. :rolleyes:

Time to hop off - M****y tomorrow! :o

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 10th, 2019, 11:05 pm

We certainly are doing our best Grassy but to no avail, so it seems. We are just hoping that RJ will see the same....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2019, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, last time my Bro & SIL visited I asked them to bring some ground Cumin as I could not buy it here. Yesterday I had a note from my Bro asking if I need any more, he is happy to visit his local Asian store. As a result this morning I shall clean and tidy the Spice Shelf checking my stocks at the same time. In practise we probably do not need much.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 11th, 2019, 8:02 am

Good morning wild ones. We are promised nice weather this week. :D It is dry at the moment. :hi5:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2019, 8:17 am

A sharp frost first thing but now we’re thawing out in bright sunshine.
I need to pop down to W’rose soon ... can I pick up anything for anyone?
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2019, 9:39 am

Good morning
Bright and cold here too
Off to the opticians soon hooray, can’t wait to get my new specs
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 11th, 2019, 9:55 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Min last night was +6C and it a glorious sunny day Tete a tetes are flowering in unison, beds stripped and covers washed and hanging in the sun.
I'm making French onion soup for lunch. I often do on a Monday if there some of Sunday's baguette left.
You must be looking forward to the new specs Sue, enjoy choosing them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 11th, 2019, 10:03 am

Good morning everyone,
Sunny but icey here this morning, due yesterday's rain before the frost set the paths are looking very slippy. I will until it thaws before venturing out.
Grocery order arrives in a bit and I'll pop the now defrosted gammon in the slow cooker early afternoon. I'll use some to make singapore noodles for dinner tonight.
I must remember to soak the peas so I can make soup tomorrow.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2019, 10:06 am

That is the spice shelves cleaned and sorted, out of date stuff was chucked out, there was not as much as I thought.
I am not sure what we are having for lunch, I did ask Deb to buy some rolls when she returned from her Monday group. Last week she came back with very large sausage rolls. Her group meet at the Bowls Club in Erimi, the English woman who runs the coffee shop kitchen produces excellent homemade style goodies.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2019, 10:22 am

Morning all! Yes please Suffs, if you could get me a few things and post a card for me then I won't have to go out. It will do me good to do it myself - I shall go in the car and have a snooze when I get back.

Assume that the glasses are the final hurdle in all you have been through lately Sue - hope that you are pleased with them.

French Onion Soup sounds a lovely lunch. A bit rich for me today but what a delicious classic it is :chops:

Hope everyone has a good day :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

earthmaiden wrote:French Onion Soup sounds a lovely lunch. A bit rich for me today but what a delicious classic it is :chops:

Perhaps the essential slug of cognac, in the soup of course, may perk you up :hug: :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2019, 11:37 am

I think it might :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2019, 11:52 am

Back from an expedition to Wrose; we’d run out of milk, saffron and gin ... three of life’s essentials ... stocks have been replenished. :D

It was freezing in there ... the staff were all wrapped up in thick coats ... the boiler had broken down ... as I left the shop and went into the car park it felt really warm in the sunshine 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Hello all!

It seems we all pretty much had a sharp frost and now sunshine! Spring certainly seems as if it is on its way during the day! :bounce:

I realised that since Saturday when a gas man came round to earth my old gas pipe off and checked everything was all present and correct with the new, my flat has been chilly even with the rads on. I didn't think to check the thermostat, and yep he had turned it right down. :twisted: Why do they do that and not bother to tell you? Anyway, nice and snug and warm for the last hour of my evening after watching Endeavour. What a fantastic drama to get yourself lost in on a Sunday night. Then off to bed and then the noises downstairs started. Quiet all day until 10pm then shouting and screaming until 1am and that was only because I hammered on the floor. The council tell me they should be downloading the sound box this afternoon. No good being locked in a cupboard really is it?

All things very busy at work. We have a long serving member of staff going off next month to have her second child, so there are lots of meetings going on to make she hands over correctly. It's all go! I'll be glad to get back in and put my feet back up!

Enjoy your afternoons all, catch you later!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I have taken by brother at his word and asked him to bring out some black cardamom for me. They only bring cabin baggage so I do not like to take too much advantage

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm

A good day here in Wildest Wiltshire. Having received a recent e-mail from Wiltshire Truffles, I decided to ask Mr. Z not to do flowers this Valentines but buy a truffle instead and cook me a meal !!! So this morning we drove to Ogbourne St. George and collected it. Nice chat with the man and his mother who seemed to be doing all the work. Next drove to Marlborough and spent some time and dosh in W'rose obtaining some essentials that Lidl don't do i.e. loose leaf lapsang souchong etc. Also bought some 'nice' bread and some hemp milk.... Patsy, I might try it with the kefir..... Walking along from W'rose we got to Pretty Polly T rooms and a lady coming out was waxing lyrical about her advacado with grilled haloumi so we decided to go in, ordered one of those and a smoked salmon and crayfish tails on toast...... we shared and swapped. Finished off with a mocha and a shared piece of ginger cake - Gorgeous !!!! And sooooo naughty !

Before leaving this morning locking the house up (best we can under the circumstances) our old utility floor has been lowered to take insulation and some screed so is currently a bit like a sandy beach. In the sand are claw prints of a local badger !!!! next to the cat paw prints. So the little bu**ar has come into the new build through the open doorway (hole ATM) and has been trying to play sandcastles !!! Right next to the cat flap......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Zosherooney wrote:bought some 'nice' bread and some hemp milk.... Patsy, I might try it with the kefir..

Good luck with that …. others use coconut milk but it has to be made from organic stuff with no additives :aww: :rolleyes: (and to add: you may need to grow your grains first … you only have 10gm which will make only 100 ml kefir at the moment. I'm not sure you can reverse the process if you use hemp and it doesn't work :? )

Another edit to say I've sent you and email with some info from the facebook fermenting group.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 11th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks Patsy, I will just try the hemp milk on its own for the time being.... one thing at a time.

I forgot to mention, whilst in W'rose, both veggie and ordinary haggis were less than half price and as I have poached the outer savoy cabbage leaves I bought the veggie version as Mr. Z. does not do offal. I will stuff the cabbage leaves with the 'veg haggis' and see how they pan out.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Thanks Patsy, I will just try the hemp milk on its own for the time being.... one thing at a time.

They won't grow in hemp milk … they need the protein in mammal milk to multiply …
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Oh dear, I had a nice little tootle out to post the card and get some supplies from Morrisons and thought I would have a nap after lunch of a small bowl of Heinz Chicken soup (not as nice as I remembered it, in fact not really very nice at all). I have just woken up :oops:. I did enjoy a little fresh air though.

I think that if you leave the door open it is quite reasonable if Mr Badger to take it as an invitation :lol:. Hope he doesn't start wrecking the joint though, they're notorious.
Last edited by earthmaiden on February 11th, 2019, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2019, 7:49 pm

It seems to have been Waitrose day as I went after the opticians, which was fine if expensive, we have decided that s the transitions is quite small I can go back to varifocal for my "all day" specs but I will have a pair of good reading glasses for serious Kindling and paperwork

So I hopped onto the little bus that goes round the back streets and went to Holloway, had a look in M&S (yawns loudly, I did try on a striped blouse that looked good on the hanger but not on me) and went to the department store to see if they had a dress I'd seen in Seasalt's catalogue, they didn't. I can order it, but there sizing is so random I'd prefer to buy in a shop

Then Waitrose, bought gin too Suffolk, also butter and cream for my food for cook book club on Wednesday, and some wine and bits and pieces. Their Cooks Ingredients range is now half an aisle, and half the world bought some bits, including kimchi, their's conveniently comes in a glass jar, as I notice do many things like miso and gochujang that are hard to buy elsewhere without a nasty plastic tub or silly foil sachet.

Now trying to tidy up, but my heart's not in it.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 11th, 2019, 8:13 pm

StokeySue wrote:
I did try on a striped blouse that looked good on the hanger but not on me) and went to the department store to see if they had a dress I'd seen in Seasalt's catalogue, they didn't. I can order it, but there sizing is so random I'd prefer to buy in a shop

This is my pet hate, stores are closing and retailers bemoan the decline high street but do nothing to address the situation. I get so fed up of going to stores to try stuff on and they never have any stock, they helpfully suggest ordering online. If I wanted to do that I wouldn’t have made the trip to the shop! Marks and Spencer’s, John Lewis and Seasalt I’m looking at you. Then they complain that no one is using their stores, well we do try but it is made difficult when they don’t carry much stock. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm

To be fair it's not a Seasalt dedicated store in Holloway just a couple of rails in James Selby department store, squeezed in between White Stuff and Joules

I miss going to the Chichester store regularly, there are no Seasalt dedicated stores in London, which is a shame
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » February 11th, 2019, 9:00 pm

BOO!
:lol:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I fell asleep in Masterchef :oops: and had to go back via Catch Up ... some promising cooks :tu: and lovely to see last years final three again :luv:

Now I’m in bed and hoping for a decent nights sleep ... have taken Solpadine Max as my shoulders and upper arms have been incredibly painful for the past week or so ... I realised in the middle of last night that it’s happened since I’ve been having porridge every morning coz of my cholesterol level ... the oats, (like Benecol) are preventing my levothyroxine from being absorbed properly and I’m getting the hypothyroid pains again. It’s a bu$$er :rolleyes:

Anyway ... fingers crossed that the solpadeine will allow me to sleep, and that stopping the porridge breakfasts will soon get my thyroxine levels back up again.

Sleep tight all ... sweet dreams :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Shame that something that is meant to be good for you, gives pain :cry: Have a good nights sleep Suff.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2019, 6:25 am

Good Morning Wild ones. I have had an enquiry from my brother as to whether the swallows have arrived yet. They are due this weekend but we are due a cold snap from Thursday so they may delay.
I understand the problem about trying on clothes that you have ordered on line, returning them from Cyprus is fun :rolleyes:
Zosh: I like the thought of the badgers checking out your new establishment.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 12th, 2019, 7:02 am

Moira, the problem is that they are not house trained !!!!

Freezing fog out there today. I am off to coffee and cake at 10.30 but lots to do before I go. I need to double check supplies as we have the couple we met in Egypt coming for lunch on Saturday then there will be 6 of us for lunch on Sunday. Bit silly to have let that happen, but I only have myself to blame ! So, veg will be the same both days as it makes for easy prepping. Sunday will either be roast beef or ckx. breast in chilli and lime - both are in DF so will give me space and help with emptying one of them. Saturday 'he' is veggie so he will be getting Scotland V Poland (veggie stuffed cabbage leaves!). Us non veggies will have something else - not sure what yet. Pudd will be a coconut pannacotta with berries and I will make a mincemeat tart with marzipan topping.

Right, better go and light my kettle ! This time next week I should have my wood burning stove in situ. :D :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 12th, 2019, 7:44 am

Good morning wild ones. Chilly this morning but we have sunshine forecast again later. It was lovely yesterday, I sat out in the garden with the beasts for a while soaking up the "D's" :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2019, 8:04 am

The painkillers worked and I slept like a log until a few minutes ago. I needed that :)
There’s a sharp frost out there but the sun is shining and the sky is blue. I have to head into the city for a dental appointment later this morning, so I’ll get something fishy from the market for supper.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2019, 9:20 am

Back from a quick trip to the local supermarket, the main topic of conversation was that we are due storms tomorrow :o I put out some washing earlier but have already bought it in as the clouds are thickening up.
I made a small diversion on my way back via the road where we used to live. The original owners of the house on the corner did some excellent planting, the mimosa is out in all its fluffy, yellow glory

cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop