Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Whoops! Late on parade today :oops:

I slept deep and long not waking until 8 but remember vivid dreams again ... not scary but rather odd ... someone took one of my comfy driving shoes and replaced it with a pointy stiletto heeled one ... which was surprisingly comfy ... I spoke at a large meeting coping perfectly well with odd shoes, rather in the style of Shirley Bassey on Morcambe & Wise :lol:

OH is at work and my this morning's jobs have all been done, supper is in the slow cooker (a bacon hock and veg) potatoes have been peeled for mash and parsley is ready for a parsley sauce to go with frozen broad beans ... one of my favourite meals. :hungry: I've done some research re the project I'm advising on and now it's time to get the knitting out ... have a lovely afternoon folks :
Last edited by suffolk on January 6th, 2019, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 6th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Afternoon Everyone :wave:

Epiphany here too and we have our gateaux des rois. However we would disagree with Sue it is not 12th night. Epiphany is the start of a new season in the church ie the day after 12th night. We have had serious arguments over this question all our lives but our theological friends assure us that it is so.

Our decorations are down but not yet put away because we had a rather long lunch. We are very sunny and not quite as cold as of late. Last night we watched Far from the Madding Crowd we recorded earlier in the week. Wonderful, one of my most returned to books anyway. I couldn't live without Hardy.

Hope all those with lurgies continue to feel better. Our Danish friends are in a similar state and have been told by the GP that it seems here all those who had the flu jab seem to be sticken. I don't understand why but as their French is not good enough to either I'll reserve judgement. I don't get the logic.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 6th, 2019, 3:41 pm

We have lunched on wraps and stir fried veg. This morning was a bit on the lazy side but Mr. Z did chop wood for 1.25 hours so he has his brownie points in. We shared a hot bath then donned some of our new toggs from yesterday and had a swift half at the pub (lime and soda for me). Fire is now lit and the fluffs have had an early tea and have bedded down. Not doing much else today....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Rats ... I’m with you ... the twelve days of Christmas include Christmas Day (apart from anything else it’s only logical) and Epiphany marks the start of a new period :tu: ... that’s what our very High Anglican vicar told us when we were teenagers.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Crikey - 1.5 hours of wood chopping isn't my idea of a lazy day! :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I had the special flu jab for over 65s ... all I’ve had so far is a slight headcold :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 6th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I had that jab too, Suffs, No headcold or flu (hope that doesn't bring it on!)
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » January 6th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Ellow! :wave:

Won't be hanging around for long as it's M****y tomorrow, the start of exam time and likely to be very busy!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Evening all,

I'm gearing myself up for bed but have a small amout of washing up to do first. I had my mum round for a shower earlier and as she can no longer get in and out of her bath we have set up a new regime whereby I cook her Sunday lunch, she brings along her own toiletries /moisturiser etc and I launder her towels for her during the week ready for the next Sunday. We were like a couple of giggling schoolgirls with me scrubbing her back and her telling me 'Ooh don't look at my bits!' :lol: She's gone home all clean and happy. Now I'm just waiting for the gormless moron downstairs to turn his rave music off so that I can get my nut down.

I have my meeting tomorrow with the council and police so I am trying my hardest to bear this evening's noise without totally losing my rag.....

Nite nite all.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2019, 9:55 pm

There is a low bridge in this area and every so often lorries get stuck under it. This happened yesterday, the lorry seems to have been considerably higher than the bridge. There are numerous warning signs before and on the bridge but I can see it must be all too easy to have a momentary lapse of attention.

I was however, somewhat surprised to see a discussion start on local social media by those of a generation for whom sat nav has become the norm, suggesting quite seriously that the driver was not altogether to blame because not all sat navs have bridge heights and warnings clearly marked and that that should be taken into consideration.

Sometimes I feel very old.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 6th, 2019, 11:16 pm

EM It's not you but people needing to take responsibility for themselves...... Mr. Z has a SN for trucks and believe me it still lets him down so thankfully he backs it up with the 'old fashioned' way - use your eyes !!!! Read signs !!!

In Andover where we lived decades ago there was a bridge that double decker buses would decapitate the top half off :o :o Thankfully I never used public transport at that time, and even if I had would not have used the upper deck :scared: :scared:

The wood chopping obviously tired him out.... he hit the sack at 7.45pm this evening saying he was going to rest his eyelids for a short while...... I have not seen him since......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2019, 11:26 pm

there is a big red sign on a mini roundabout between scorrier and the a30 that says 'ignore your satnav'.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 6th, 2019, 11:50 pm

A lot of places that are open to the public, like safari parks and adventure parks have a note on their publicity saying "if you are visiting, please use the postcode "*****" to get to the entrance. Do not use the postcode in the address of this location.

The first time I use a satnav in earnest to find fuel in a strange town, I was sent through a housing estate to an 8ft high fence. The Sainsbury petrol station was the other side!! My dash display was saying 1 mile to empty and the actual route was back to the ring road and about two miles... I went into town instead following a bus route in case I ran out. I didn't but it was a close call.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » January 7th, 2019, 6:26 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, sunny here but for how long?
There is Sat Nav available in Cyprus but it is not much use in towns as they keep changing the one way systems :rolleyes:

Moira :drool:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 7th, 2019, 8:04 am

Good morning wild ones. I have a horrible cold, its been coming for a few days, now it's biting big time. Every joint is painful, my head is banging and my throat feels like it has been rubbed down with a wire brush. :( :( I hope I feel better tomorrow it's my birthday.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2019, 8:47 am

Morning all!

:hug: :hug: to icey and anyone else with an on going lurgy.

My point regarding the Sat nav was, of course, the fact that a whole generation seems to think that they might genuinely be excused from their actions because a machine has not warned them of a danger obvious to the naked eye. Presumably Alexa etc will be to blame for our actions very soon as well.

Had a nice 8 hour sleep, my cold feels better and my eye improved. I really need to do post-festive laundry, housework and shopping all day but am going to a coffee morning instead. I will go shopping though, being inventive with leftovers becomes harder when milk is the only remaining leftover. :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2019, 9:38 am

Morning everyone :wave:

First load of washing drying in the sunshine. Christmas deccies and linen all put away, kitchen fllor mopped and cooker cleaned.

I hate sat navs and don't trust them so always sit with a map on the my lap when we go somewhere unfamiliar. He drives I navigate. We usually have the machine on in this case but, for example if you come to a diversion - as you frequently do here -the sat nav just can't cope. Aero our car shouts at us as soon as we have 100 kms or less in the tank and it keeps shouting until it gets fed ! This is so annoying that after the first time it happened we have never let it do so again.

:wave: :wave: to all those with lurgies. I won't offer :hug: because I don't want to catch them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning
I loved my sat nav when I drove, as I mainly drove on my own it was so much more practical and safer than try to map read myself, I really enjoyed rediscovering the lanes round where I grew up as I could drive without having to spend all my time looking for road signs and I also found it great for guiding me through road junctions in town.

But I wouldn’t expect it to guide me round a safari park once it got me there. My suggestion for Dragon’s Den is that someone sets up something so you can download an extra detailed guide for use in the park

Feeling better today, and it’s quite bright out so will potter slowly on

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby nursemimi » January 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Morning everyone :wave: wont hug as I still have Bronchitis but it is improving
a round of antibiotics helped a lot. Christmas decs are down just need to put the boxes
out in the shed. It is supposed to be warm today so hopefully I can get them done.
:mug: on the go right now though.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2019, 1:12 pm

We have just had a remarkable experience. Our Aspergers friend, Edouard, as always, sent us a New Year card. It is a post card of the new Millaud viaduct. The stamp was a special Christmas one which, on closer examinaition turned out to be a scratch card.
We duly did so then went on line to see what to do next. Lo! we have won €100.00 . I don't know who will be the most pleased, Ed or us :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Nice one Rats! :D

On the sat nav theme, Mr S and I have a bug-bear about people who rely solely on GPS when out on the fells. We've frequently met people who have absolutely no idea where they are as a result (sometimes even with their GPS working...) Carry a map and compass and know how to navigate with them say I.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2019, 2:27 pm

How lovely Rats :D :tu:

I love my Satnav ... it saved me hours of time not spent looking for places when I worked, and the Council Tax payers saved a load of money too :D But there’s always a road atlas in the car and i never go outside of my known patch of Suffolk and Norfolk without checking a map to see where I’m going, and making an informed choice if there’s an option of different routes.

Driving down to an out of the way address in Devon in a limited amount of time on my own was soooo stressful ... using a Satnav journeys like that were almost a piece of cake :D I once navigated from Suffolk to Florence and back using a European road atlas ... but it would’ve been much more difficult if I’d had to drive at the same time.

Once a colleague, aged around 30, admitted that she had no idea whether she would be heading north, south, east or west on her journey from Norwich to Birmingham or what places were enroute. She said she’d never used a roadmap in her life and didn’t see the point of getting one. ... I asked what she’d do if her Satnav network went down for some reason ... she thought for a moment and said ‘I’d phone my Dad’ :o ... (honestly, aged 30ish!) ... I explained that if the Satnav network was down there was a strong possibility that the mobile phone network would be down too. She had no answer except that she’d sit and wait to be rescued!

So many people have all their eggs in one basket :!:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 7th, 2019, 4:09 pm

For years OH sat beside me with a road map as we drove around the country side. Never a problem, never an argument.

Then we got a Sat Nav.

We’d have at least one disagreement every journey.

In the IoW, making for Osborne House, I’d checked the map before leaving. Got to roundabout, I wanted to turn left, Sat Nav (and OH) said straight on. We finished up at the back (no) entrance.

Eventually at the right car park I was further irritated to see a yellow coach we’d been following for miles sitting near by. We didn’t use the Sat Nav again!
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2019, 4:35 pm

I don’t think it’s just sat nav that makes folk useless at navigation
About 25 years ago I agreed to meet a bunch of work colleagues at an Indian restaurant in Wembley, not an area I frequent. Three different people asked me, with genuine anxiety, how I would get there when nobody had taken me before? As Wembley stadium is the best sign posted location in London so I followed the signs as far as the bus station, then drove a short distance on a route I’d worked out from the A-Z. Needless to say, I was the first to arrive.

I bet that pre-GPS Seatallen’s fell walking numpties would have been the ones out with an AA road atlas instead of an OS walking map, blithely unawares that there’s a difference

:hi5: Rats and Ed! What will you buy with your windfall?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

I was at university with a girl who liked walking in the Peak District. She would go out on her own with no map at all... "There's no point because I can't read a map" :o

She would get a bus to a village and start walking. When she had walked enough she would go downhill until she found a road. Then she would hitch hike home. But she didn't know which way that was!! If the driver looked at her in a strange way, or told her it was behind him, she would cross over the road and try and get a lift the other way!!

I hate to think what she does now with (or without) a satnav.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm

StokeySue wrote:I bet that pre-GPS Seatallen’s fell walking numpties would have been the ones out with an AA road atlas instead of an OS walking map, blithely unawares that there’s a difference

Spot on Sue! :lol:

Or- possibly even worse- something pulled out of a Sunday supplement ('20 Walks With A View' or similar). That's happened to us many a time. My absolute favorite were the two young guys we once bumped into on the summit of a rather obscure Munro (Scotland obviously) who asked us if we could direct them to where they had parked their van? We asked the obvious question (ie- where they had parked the van) and they had no idea. That was after asking us if they were on Ben Nevis (they weren't by a considerable margin :) ). We did our best and I like to think they made it home....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2019, 6:12 pm

People are very strange aren't they! I think that sat nav is a very useful tool, but I do think that people should learn how to do things the old fashioned way before being allowed to use modern technology whether it be sat nav, calculator or washing machine. Basic skills are often useful. I always find internet gives out if I go out with the intention of trusting I will find information my phone.

Nice windfall Rats!

The coffee morning was nice. The host's 3 week old grandson was there, a bonny boy, he got a lot of attention. I have been doing housework rather half heartedly this afternoon. I have set myself a few tasks to be complete before I allow myself to stop :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 7th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Quite a productive morning. Wood burning stove chap, builder and me have sorted the areas which we had concerns about. We have also now designed and worked out the sandstone slabs we need for the Snug. Quote now received.

Load of washing done and amazingly has dried outside. Mr. Z. has ironed the 2 items that needed doing. I have snoozed and feel better for it. Supper is the french choucroute and sausage meal we bought in france last week, it's slightly short on potatoes so we will have some garlic bread as well.

Builders back tomorrow just to do the 'plate'? Dinner or side???

Well done Rats on the win :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 7th, 2019, 6:44 pm

As an ex rally driver and navigator, I'm pretty good at map reading and actually enjoy doing so, to the point where my son does it now. I taught hub too, after some disasterous journeys. I have an innate sense of direction and he has none, whether that's to do with being a non driver, I don't know. We have sat nav, but mainly enjoy poking fun at its Welsh pronounciations!!

Well done Rats, for noticing it was actually a scratch card.

I find this time of year long and dreary and always feel a little low. I shouldn't, but I do.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I'm ok with a map too , so is hinself but he's always driving so these days it has to be me!.

We did know about these scratch card stamps but has never seen one. We'll t a,d tell him he's actually taking us out.ake Ed out for a meal next time he comes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » January 7th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Evening all :hug:

There is always a road atlas in hubby's car and we both have built in sat navs. Although mine doesn't work properly so I also have a portable one. I prefer to read the map and plan the route then see what the sat nav says. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 7th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Evening all,

I am sorry I can't keep up with CB these days. I hope you are all fighting fit! My half day annual leave spent with my local council with the police in attendance turned out to be breaking my neck to get there with apologies from the police who could not attend for some reason otherwise known to themselves only. I have now had ten hours of my floor shaking with bass disturbance. Where do I go now other than take the law into my own hands? A Community Protection Order was mentioned, briefly. I'll not hold my breath. Luckily my friend called me to enquire how I was and calmed me down a bit after a rather pointless and frustrating day. Bless her. :luv:

I'm grabbing a moment of silence to settle into bed. Happy Tuesdays to you all folks. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Is this the point at which I have to state "My name is Aero and I'm a mapaholic"? :D

I have two bookcases of maps and atlases. Almost as many kilogrammes as OH has sheet music! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Amber » January 7th, 2019, 11:24 pm

I drive! He navigates, with both a Satnav and a paper map.

And surely I can’t be the only person who actually enjoys getting lost? (Just not in city centres!)
I love discovering random new places... :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2019, 12:16 am

I learned to map read aged 8 or 9
The alternatives were either divorce or murder (parents not me) and I guided Dad round much of Europe

OH loved maps, and would map read for me, which could be an issue as I’d ask if I should turn left, being somewhere on page 30, and he’d be day dreaming a tour of page 52 :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 8th, 2019, 12:28 am

StokeySue wrote:OH loved maps, and would map read for me, which could be an issue as I’d ask if I should turn left, being somewhere on page 30, and he’d be day dreaming a tour of page 52 :lol:

That sounds very familiar!! :oops: :oops: OH is far more attentive!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » January 8th, 2019, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, more thunder, I opened the blind to yet another bank of very dark cloud. The mountain roads are closed.

Like Aero I love maps. I was taught to read an OS map at primary school, to this day I know the symbols for a church with tower and a church with spire. I am pretty sure that there was a map reading question in the 11+, it was one of the alternative questions. Later on we had to learn the weather forecast symbols for Geography O level

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2019, 7:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Tezza :hug: Keep your chin up :hug:

My meeting today has been moved to 1pm so a slightly more leisurely start to the morning ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 8th, 2019, 7:26 am

Good morning wild ones. Its a bit breezy here today. I was in bed by 7.30pm last night, but I feel slightly better this morning. Good thing really we have a skip arriving at 9am which needs filling with the old floorboards from the first half of the floor project that OH did. Then we are ready for phase two, if we ever get a call from the company doing that side.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 8th, 2019, 7:27 am

On map reading, I have been congratulated by Mr. Z. (prior to SN's) but he does find it hilarious when I turn the map upside down to determine whether I decide left or right !!!! I too, enjoy map reading, we sometimes go 'off piste' and go through villages rather than the fastest direct route (time depending) and discover new places.

Just found this.... quiet interesting reading.....https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... nt-any-map
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2019, 8:27 am

Ive never understood why some men find it so difficult to comprehend the principle of turning the map to align with the direction of travel when not using a compass. It is the logical and simplest way to use a roadmap and is, after all, the way a Satnav works.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2019, 8:51 am

suffolk wrote:Ive never understood why some men find it so difficult to comprehend the principle of turning the map to align with the direction of travel

because it's a female thing to do - and therefore risible! - although they would also say it's because men have better spacial awareness and are able to manipulate the map in their mind rather than in reality.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2019, 8:58 am

Better spatial awareness!? Let them tell that to Olga Korbut! It’s all about propriorception and is developed and maintained by physical activity. :D something that most females in the 21st century get just as much of as most males.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 8th, 2019, 9:21 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun seems to have disappeared today and it was extremely cold this morning -6C. Apparently jersey has only had 6 minutes of sunlight since the satrt of the year.

Men have better spatial awareness indeed :lol: :lol: I suppose some do but the one I live with has prctically none. No sense of diection either and he can'r recognise things just by their shape. colour etc unless they have words on them. I always pack cases, cars, shopping etc because he will say, "You'll never get that in there" or try to put something the completely wrong shape into a space. If there are writtn instructions he's fine. Everyone has their own talents though and maybe we have been together for so long is a tribute to our opposite ones,so if one can't do something the other will usually be able to.

Tezza :hug: :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

I knew that I had a heavy weight duvet, I found it an hour ago, in the dry cleaners :rolleyes: I must have taken it there last spring and obviously forgot to collect it. The only reason that I was there was to get my blue/white striped quilt washed, it is too big for the washing machine. They are very obliging in that shop.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2019, 9:45 am

Moira :lol: Do they charge storage? ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 8th, 2019, 10:00 am

Glad you found it Moira !

The sun has finally found it's way through the mist and the temperature is rising at last.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2019, 10:09 am

Good morning
The article about printing maps in Stanford’s is interesting
A centred map would make a good house warming gift

We have loveless sunshine so will go for my first proper walk of 2019 soon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 8th, 2019, 10:16 am

StokeySue wrote:The article about printing maps in Stanford’s is interesting
A centred map would make a good house warming gift

Incidentally, you can get customised/personalised maps from the OS. We sometimes design a bespoke one for specific walks (especially if otherwise the walk would involve carrying two maps, or one half is on the 'back' of the map). Mr S gave me a customised local OS map for Christmas a few years back too (titled the 'Royal County of Samshire :D ').
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

What a lovely thought Sea ! We have a very old Wiltshire map in a frame in the downstairs loo. Bought it at a Bootie some years back.

Sun is out here, my flannelette super kingsize set is in the washing machine as I type. I bet it is not dry enough to put back on the bed tonight.... I only have one set of warm winter stuff.

I have emptied out the hoover contents and sifted through it for the turquoise stone that has disappeared from one of my rings - nuffin puffin! Might have to go back to Morocco and visit the silversmiths that replaced the lapis lazuli that fell out some years back (for £6.50!!!!) Think it might be more in the UK.....

Mr. Z is doing some light gardening - removal of the dead grasses from a small bed. There will be some ironing later......
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop