Exercise bikes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Exercise bikes

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:15 am

Has anyone got one where they could recommend a brand please?

I've just decided I need to splash out on one but don't really know where to start! Mine field!

Thanks! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Exercise bikes

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am

First think about it
Notoriously, most exercise bikes are used for less than 3 weeks, then end up as expensive clothes horses

If you have room that you can leave it fully set up, and that is somewhere that it will be neither an eyesore nor in the way of anything, then that’s good. They are very heavy - if you have to pull it out of a cupboard or even a corner to use it, you probably won’t and it could be bad for your shoulder

If you do decide to get one, don’t splash out - most of those local buy-sell-exchange forums are awash with them :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 2nd, 2018, 10:50 am

I saw at least 1 on shpock in the last few days...... I sold Mr. Z's 'real bike for £20 you might be better off with a real one.... fresh air, nice vistas, meeting peeps.... I used mine for work when I was gainfully employed....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 2nd, 2018, 11:01 am

As you've had neck/shoulder problems I think it's important that you get one that has been assessed by someone qualified as suitable for you ... using one that puts strain on your shoulders/creates the wrong angle for your neck etc could cause problems in the future (been there done that). Do you still see a physio or OT ? Otherwise a qualified trainer at a good gym might be able to help.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 2nd, 2018, 11:30 am

StokeySue wrote:Notoriously, most exercise bikes are used for less than 3 weeks, then end up as expensive clothes horses

I am surprised that it is as long as three weeks.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » December 2nd, 2018, 11:37 am

have you thought about getting an ordinary bike and a roller for the back wheel? like this - then you can use the bike out on the road when you are fitter/ more confident/ the weather's better.
you can sometimes pick up bikes on freecycle.
scullion
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

I was thinking along the same lines as scully, get a proper bike and use it for transport too.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

I would get a real bike for outside use as I used to be a keen cyclist, but since my fractures and osteopenia diagnosis I have lost all confidence putting my trust out there amongst others. Also I have nowhere to keep one here which would restrict me to having to cart it up a flight of stairs and either park it in my very narrow hallway, or cart it over carpets (when I get them). That's why I am thinking indoor. I will have space for it as being a permanent feature. I don't really care about whether it's eye sore or not, as long as it does the job. I have plenty of space.

I will definitely heed the advice given about making sure it is a suitable model for my injuries. :hug: :tu: And I have seen a few on Freecycle, but they always come with heavy and collection only warnings.

Thanks for your useful comments as usual. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2018, 2:01 pm

My own experience, after buying an 'inexpensive' (But not dirt cheap) one from Argos some years ago was that it was horrible having to leave it up in any room all the time and that the whole experience of riding an inferior bike by myself was a horrible chore in comparison with a good quality expensive one in the ambience of a gym. 5 minutes felt like 5 hours. Unless you spend hundreds of ££ I would be wary. If you can overcome the boredom and clutter I'd look out for a second hand one. I think charity shops get them and you can ask to goon a waiting list. DIL has the thing to turn her bike into a static bike - very sturdy and good.

I think if I went down the home equipment route again I would get a cross trainer that did ski walking. Probably not the thing for your shoulder.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm

Would it not be easier/more effective to join a local gym Tezza? As EM says, gym equipment is generally far superior to home equipment unless you're in a position to spend a lot and there's the added advantages of being able to utilise a range of equipment (with staff on hand to help you devise a suitable exercise programme) as well as the potential for making some 'gym buddy' friends.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

Actually, I think the suggestion of joining a gym is a very good one, and our new leisure centre opens in February/March 2019. :bounce: I will certainly utilise the swimming pool as that will be walkable and really good for my shoulder. I am finding it hard to work out how I am going to be able to fit the gym in during the week while I am without a car. I guess it will be easier from the spring onwards when I wouldn't have to be walking home with a kit bag in the dark. But my working day from waking to getting back home is in excess of eleven hours. I wouldn't have the energy for a worthwhile gym or swim session, plus the hour or so either on the bus or on foot getting there and back. I feel exhausted thinking about it.

I have just seen someone giving away an exercise bike on FC. It's outside of town though and no way of collecting.

Maybe I have just talked myself into waiting for the spring!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 2nd, 2018, 6:15 pm

Sounds like a good plan Tezza... :tu: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 2nd, 2018, 7:05 pm

Yep, same experience as Earthmaiden - we have one and it’s rarely used. Worse still it’s in the front room. We don’t have any where out of sight to put it. During my brief stint of gym going, II enjoyed the bike most out of all the equipment and the one I bought was not expensive, but it was a waste of money as rarely used. It’s also boring and you can’t read while you are doing it. In the gym I went to you did ten different things each for 3 minutes so it wasn’t so boring. (Those 3 minute lasted so long though!)

Gyms are pricey? I made the mistake of taking out a year’s sub, thinking that the outlay would *make* me do it. In fact, I strained my arm, and ended up just feeling guilty for the waste of money. A more sociable exercise class might have been better, but local ones are all during the day,
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 2nd, 2018, 8:01 pm

Tezza, you have just started a new job and are working long hours. I know you also want to keep improving your fitness, and that is hard during the winter months. Don’t overstretch yourself....maybe come spring, you will be more settled in your job and with the the lighter evenings, you can do more outdoors, or join a gym or get to the swimming pool.
I got an exercise bike, quite a good one, with different programmes, when I started having trouble with my knees and discovered this was the best way of exercising them. It fits into a corner of our bedroom, but most important, it faces the tv.
So now I have two new knees, and can cycle outside and do lots of other exercise, but I still use my indoor bike, especially during the winter months.
So, if you can get one on freecycle, or very cheap, get it and use it over the winter, then move it on in the spring if you no longer need it. Just sit on it and ride through your favourite tv programmes...better than sitting still!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:35 pm

That's what I was thinking, stick it in an empty corner facing the TV and pedal of an evening instead of sitting on the armchair. I know I would use it. I am very motivated.

I feel in the winter months I usually do pop a few extra pounds on and I am trying to avoid that. I've spent the last year doing so much walking, now I'm doing too much sitting. Scares me!

I'll mull it all over this week. If a freebie crops up at any time soon I'll grab it with both hands.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » December 3rd, 2018, 1:49 am

is there a gym near your work that you could go to in your lunch hour? or stairs that you could walk up and down for some of it?
scullion
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 4th, 2018, 12:07 am

If you're after a proper spin bike, I think it does need to be a "gym-quality" one otherwise it'll do your head in.

Some gyms sell off their older ones when they have an upgrade. If your new leisure centre is replacing an old gym/centre, they might have some going cheap.

My mum used to work at a leisure centre (council owned) and they sold off lots if theirs in working order for around 40quid I think.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm

It's my experience that most static bikes at home become very expensive clothes horses .. ;) :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm

None of my previous exercise bikes have ever become clothes horses. I have always actually loved having one. :tu:

Work is in the middle of nowhere unfortunately. I mean, outside the access drive there isn't even pavement along the road so I can't even go for a walk. :? I have communal stairs at home, no way would I run up and down those. You never know who you might bump into (see reference to previous posts about ASB...….. :evil: )

Good idea about trying to recycle a used bike from my old gym but it's gone, it's been being built up from scratch for some months, old equipment would have been long gone.

I think I am just going to have to be patient aren't I? :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Keep looking on Freecycle Tezza ... and putting a request on Streetlife/Nextdoor might get a result too ... good luck ... if you know you have the self discipline to use it sounds like it’s the way to go :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 8th, 2018, 9:46 am

I've got one of these, using your own chair. Also, put on worktop and exercise arms.

https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/health- ... gJdsfD_BwE

Something went wrong with the first one soon after purchase, firm told me to keep it and sent another. Gave it to a friend who repaired for his own use.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby uschi » December 8th, 2018, 11:35 am

I agree with what most of the others said, they take up space and don't get used enough.
If you want to excercise, you can assemble a mini-gym that is both useful (you don't have to set up much and keep things handy for regular use) starting with excercise (thera) bands (2 strengths cost about 5 € here), a small Overball https://www.essentialaids.com/overball.html, water bottles for weights and, if you have the room, maybe a gym ball.

It pays to watch a few videos first and, if you still have physio, your trainer how to use them.
These things are so small that they never bother you and you can grab them several times a day, some excercises can be done "cold" on the sofa even. I often take my thera bands and the ball for a few shoulder excercises while watching TV.
For a better overall training, start by putting on good music and dancing or walking on the spot for a few minutes. Once "warmed up" you can start your training. :kneel:
uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » December 8th, 2018, 11:43 am

uschi wrote:I agree with what most of the others said, they take up space and don't get used enough.
If you want to excercise, you can assemble a mini-gym that is both useful (you don't have to set up much and keep things handy for regular use) starting with excercise (thera) bands (2 strengths cost about 5 € here), a small Overball https://www.essentialaids.com/overball.html, water bottles for weights and, if you have the room, maybe a gym ball.

It pays to watch a few videos first and, if you still have physio, ask your trainer how to use them.
These things are so small that they never bother you and you can grab them several times a day, some excercises can be done "cold" on the sofa even. I often take my thera bands and the ball for a few shoulder excercises while watching TV.
For a better overall training, start by putting on good music and dancing or walking on the spot for a few minutes. Once "warmed up" you can start your training. :kneel:

Joining the gym is a good idea. If they are good, they will explain your little tools to you (and will try to flog you "better" ones). Even if you stop going after a while you will be able to draw on what you've learned.
I am in a back class and that has taught me really well what I can do without hurting myself.
uschi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop