Foodie gifts

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Foodie gifts

Postby Amber » December 29th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Did anyone get any exciting or unusual gifts this year?

My most unusual (to me) was a type of beeswax cling film. I’m looking forward to using it when things have calmed down after the holidays. :)

And a nice espresso machine. Two or three years ago, I wouldn’t drink espresso...now I love it :) .
Amber
Registered

Re: Foodie gifts

Postby StokeySue » December 29th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I ought to be looking in the sales for an espresso machine as mine died

I have a box of “tomato vodka marshmallows”. We are eyeing each other up cautiously from opposite ends of the living room :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 29th, 2018, 11:14 pm

I got a one cup caffetire and a tin of Costa ground coffee which smells divine.

I have lost count how many bottles of wine.

A big box of Ferrero Roche chocolates. I deliberately left those behind at my sister's Boxing Day, accidentally on purpose.

Quality Street.

I might be sent home in the morning with more wine and pickles.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » December 30th, 2018, 12:17 am

Does Gin count? Got a nice bottle of Hendricks - my fave! :cocktail:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2018, 10:42 am

I was given a chilli lover's kit today. Chilli rub, salt, oil and actual chillies in oil and a pestle and mortar. Quite cute and handy!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 30th, 2018, 10:48 am

I got some Hooting Owl gin one from each riding of Yorkshire and apparently all different, A fine Microplane. Anne-Sophi Pic cookbooks, A Jersey cookbook. Some Hotel Chocolat chilli truffles and- strangest of all, a meat curing set. This was one of my s-i-l's stranger presents. She is world class in odd gift giving. I'll have to refurbish the old pig sty in the yard and raise my own bacon and ham!

That beeswax wrap is great isn't it Amber? Your , sound shall we say intriguing? Sue
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 30th, 2018, 12:23 pm

What lucky people! I had nice presents but food-wise only various types of biscuit (including Cornish Fairings) and the usual Lindt chocolate figures from DD which i love to look at for weeks before eating.

Sue - do let us know when you finally pair up with your marshmallows!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » December 30th, 2018, 12:33 pm

i think all but one or two of our received christmas presents were edibles and drinkables. all of ours to others were, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 30th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Our nephew sent us a big bag of fair-trade coffee beans. Bag is in the cupboard which smells divine! Will grind some up as soon as we've finished current coffee.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 30th, 2018, 9:32 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:A big box of Ferrero Roche chocolates. I deliberately left those behind at my sister's Boxing Day, accidentally on purpose.

If those are the gold ones, you could have sent them my Mum's way - she loves them!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby scullion » December 31st, 2018, 11:29 am

i, too, would have left them somewhere. i think they're my least favourite form of chocolate.
i was given a box of chocolate orange segments - i think i've only eaten two of the dark ones and the rest of them are all gone. i have eaten one chocolate ball - the rest of the two bags have also gone.
i do like chocolate but obviously in a more controlled way than some people in this house!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 31st, 2018, 8:59 pm

I got a woollen scarf, two bee glasses and a box of chocolates! But my mother gave me her set of three nesting Mouseman tables, so I am very happy indeed with those.
The 'Belgian' chocolates make me think that 'Belgian' has gone into the same category as 'artesan' when it comes to an indicator of quality. i.e. meaningless, but my mother (they were from her) does her best, and they seem to have disappeared (er husband...)
I feel slightly unloved but really I am not that bothered :)
Before Christmas, partly in anticipation of a dearth of gifts, I bought myself Ottolenghi's Simple, a lot of interesting German spice mixes - ones I'd seen in Germany, but purchased by mail order when I got home - very reasonable delivery charge - and quite a lot of cheese. (And, on the non-food front, some King Louie clothing.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 1st, 2019, 1:20 am

I would be ecstatic with a Mouseman table let alone three! Thompson’s are a local company, in fact I have just spent the evening with someone who did his apprenticeship there, he now makes very exclusive hand made kitchens and has some very famous clients. I would love a piece of furniture but even a small foot stool sells for circa £500.

Maybe one day.

Enjoy your tables Herbi, Wishing you a happy new year and better news on the job front.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 1st, 2019, 11:11 am

I am Busbybee. I love Mouseman things anyway, but they are also part of my childhood, being older than me. Not in perfect nick (My mother applied a stain to them after next door's cat peed on them about 30 years ago :o) but pretty good unless you scrutinize them.

I have kept nagging my husband to get a chair, as it could be regarded as an investment, and mainly haven't done so, as I wanted to go and look at them. But I guess that's not going to happen now, possibly at all, if we have to downsize, but certainly not until he has a job. (Although I did just get a Mouseman chair sized bonus....) But I have my lovely tables now.

This is a pic of my father, the day they bought the tables. Am wondering if there is a mouse on that gate. The google street view pic has slightly balls up the image of this house.

8801164970_a6f6f9b34f_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 1st, 2019, 11:20 am

I’ve pic and lovely tables Herbi!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm

Seriously Herbi if you ever do come up to look at Mouseman furniture please let me know, you are most welcome to have a pit stop here - we are six miles away.

Our local auction house often has his stuff for sale but still at quite high prices.

Love the photo, the village is gloriously pretty any time of the year but stunning in summer. Very good cream teas in the next village along.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 1st, 2019, 4:05 pm

Another Mouseman fan and owner here. In fact my cheese boards have just been admired over lunch today. We also have a comissioned book case a side table and a stool. We had a late friend who lived in an old schoolhouse in Northumberland and his living room was panelled with thompson panels - each with a mouse somewhere. Our children just loved finding the mice!

My uncle who was a woodwork teacher and then inspector knew the original Mr T very well.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 1st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Thank you Busybee. I suppose one thing about OH not being in Germany, assuming he won't be, is that it will be easier for us to go on short breaks in the UK. Would love to drop by. I am actually really keen to go to the east coast too. (it was Bridlington most years, as a child :) Not been back since.)

Rats the children looking for the mice reminds me of the Usborne books thing about finding the duck on every page.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » January 2nd, 2019, 9:06 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Rats the children looking for the mice reminds me of the Usborne books thing about finding the duck on every page.

We still have the book(s?), and the matching soft toy duck.

I’d forgotten, we also got a personalised tin of Quality Street, with ‘Quality’ being replaced by our surname, and the chocolates inside being chosen by our daughter....to her taste ;) :D .
Amber
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 2nd, 2019, 9:12 pm

None this year, as such; we were obliged to spend a frugal Christmas given the 1,000,000% inflation.
However, on New Year´s Eve, cousins brought loads of delicious cheese from Perú, including a Manchego with Black Truffle. Omigosh, what a lovely surprise!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 3rd, 2019, 9:37 am

The vast majority of my pressies were food related including a lovely bag of homemade goodies from my friend. I also got a copper whistling kettle and a much wanted shallow stainless steel casserole. I have a cast iron one which I adore but find it too heavy to lift safely now so I just use it on the hob. I also got an old fashioned toasting fork, I must get some crumpets to toast in front of the fire :D
I was delighted with all my presents this year :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 3rd, 2019, 12:55 pm

I usually come home from my uncle's armed with pickles and chutneys at Christmas but this time I returned with a huge jar of homemade orange marmalade which I haven't tried yet but it will be tried this weekend on toasted pitta. He tells me it is a bit on the runny side so I might boil it down a bit.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 3rd, 2019, 11:32 pm

Amber wrote:We still have the book(s?), and the matching soft toy duck.

I have had to proof read quite a few of those books in my time...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 6th, 2019, 11:08 am

I'm very pleased to have received a cheesemaking kit. Plus various types of booze and pickles, including a chutney made with hogweed seeds.

Let's hope that whoever made it can tell hogweed from hemlock :shock:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2019, 11:20 am

I tried one of the vodka and tomato marshmallows

More Bloody Mary heavy on the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco; but a sweet squishy marshmallow dipped into it. I can imagine someone liking them but I don’t :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2019, 11:47 am

You're not making them sound at all attractive, Sue! :sprout:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Bubbles » January 6th, 2019, 1:05 pm

'MIL' was given a huge box of Montezuma Truffles and kindly shared a few with her son and me. They are gorgeous, and probably worth the £30 or so they cost.
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop