A Little Piece Of News

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

A Little Piece Of News

Postby Kavey » January 3rd, 2019, 9:36 am

Pete and I exchanged contracts on our new home in Wales yesterday, located in a small village a few miles from Abergavenny in Monmouthshire.
Completion will be next Friday, after which we'll move all our stuff to the new house, then put the old one in London on the market.
It's a HUGE change for us, and we're excited and a little trepidatious too!
Which Wildfoodies do we have down that way for us to connect with in person?
Kavey
Registered

Re: A Little Piece Of News

Postby cyprusmoira » January 3rd, 2019, 10:15 am

Well done :clap: Are you near any good local suppliers or Farmers Markets?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 3rd, 2019, 10:17 am

Goodness. That is quite a big piece of news. It is a lovely part of the country. What prompted the move?

Congratulations and I hope that the move goes smoothly.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am

Enjoy! Saw the pics on FB, looks great
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am

Abergavenny is a lovely town with lots of fab places to eat - and of course the now famous Food Festival held every September. I'd love to meet up - we are about an hour away in Swansea but often go to Glasbury to the River Cafe which is about 40 minutes drive from Abergavenny. You'll be very close to another of my favourites The Bear in Crickhowell. Croeso Y Cymru!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » January 3rd, 2019, 12:02 pm

can we see some pics on here, please?
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 3rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

Lovely news Kavey! I hope the move goes smoothly for you both. Agree with scully, pics please? :P
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 3rd, 2019, 12:54 pm

Fantastic news Kavey! :D :tu:

Oddly enough, we randomly spotted a house near Brecon recently that we really liked the look of and as we're intending to go back on the market this Spring who knows? We might be sort-of neighbours!

Good luck with it all. Will look forward to the pics. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 3rd, 2019, 1:19 pm

A lovely part of the world ... how exciting :D :cocktail: :cocktail:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 3rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

What a lovely start to the New Year. I hope you have many happy years there.

We had a friend at Uni whose parents had a house near Abergavenny and a crowd of us used to go for the weekend sometimes. It was great fun and the two of us who enjoyed riding used to indulge ourselves because there were 3 horsess there. The scenery was beautiful.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 3rd, 2019, 8:00 pm

Enjoy!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2019, 9:59 am

Will Mum and Dad be following you down ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Thanks everyone!

What prompted it? We've been talking for more than 2 decades of "one day" moving to a rural property with lots of land, outbuildings for holiday rental, and space for our various creative hobbies, whether that's (now) pottery, or brewing or whatever. In the early days, that vision was linked to France, but for several years, it's been back in the UK, as we now have older parents, plus young and adorable nephews.

We made the decision that one day should be NOW, only in summer of 2018. We created a really stringent list of criteria, not just for the property and house but also for what we wanted in proximity, how far max drive could be from family, and many many more factors. That resulted in narrowing down to about three or four areas, but looking at those more closely, we quickly narrowed down further to this part of Monmouthshire OR the area of Herefordshire around Ross on Wye. A circle across the England-Wales border, effectively. And we found the right house in Wales.

I don't want to put pictures here, as unfortunately, the property is still listed on property websites, and it's unusual in that it's possible to identify the address from it's listing.

We know the area reasonably well, and have friends a half hour north of us. We've been to The Bear, The Hardwick and other great local area restaurants before. We have a nice pub in our village too. Farmers markets, I imagine we'll find in Abergavenny (and have been to the festival a few times, participated in it a couple of times actually), not sure yet on other farmers markets, but we know the area is foodie. That factored into our choice. And with the bridge crossing now free both ways, it's not too hard to get to Bristol for when we want decent South East Asian food (both grocery shopping and restaurants).

No, ma and pa are not following us down! But they and my sister, brother-in-law and nephews, plus our family on Pete's side, will hopefully be visiting us often.

<3
Kavey
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 4th, 2019, 5:28 pm

If anyone is thinking of moving to France to a holiday business...

http://www.frenchestateagents.com/frenc ... 9#longDesc
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Kavey » January 4th, 2019, 5:46 pm

aero280 wrote:If anyone is thinking of moving to France to a holiday business...
http://www.frenchestateagents.com/frenc ... 9#longDesc

Wait, that's Ian's house! We have visited them there. Have I missed a post with some news? :shock:
Kavey
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm

No. Ian hasn't been on here for almost a year. I saw them at Christmas and they are hoping to retire at last, and move nearer to the shops and markets.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » January 4th, 2019, 6:02 pm

If you have, so have I Kavey! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I'm afraid no-one ever buys or should have bought a house in France expecting to make a profit - or even recovering one's investment. It's a fat of life. I do hope he makes enough to move somewhere he wants.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I think to realise a dream at a relatively young age and find a place you like to be is such a lovely thing. I hope it all works out really well for you.

I had never heard of Abergavenny until that song in the '60's .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwRgd_Koj8 (sorry!!) I think it was a bigger hit in Australia than the UK :lol:. When I was first married we had friends who married a few weeks before us and moved there. They had a freezing cottage on a remote hillside. It was the first time we ever slept under a 'Continental' quilt and we stayed toasty all night. We bought one soon afterwards, very modern 8-) .

Good wishes to Ian and Jacqui too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 5th, 2019, 9:10 am

Aero, I was aware he'd stopped posting here, but had not heard that he was retiring, or looking to move and your post with no information made me worry that something had happened to one of them. Pete and I wish him and Jacqui the very best in finding their retirement place, we had a lovely visit with them when we went.

Earthmaiden, I don't know that we're relatively young, we are both closing in on 50, but we figured it's a good time to move, we want to do it while we still have (hopefully) many years left to settle in, make a new life, and enjoy it!

Thank you for your well wishes, everyone!
Kavey
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 5th, 2019, 6:27 pm

We had a lovely week in a self catering cottage near Abergavenny & remember excellent scenery & food everywhere we went.

I've also been wondering about Ian, I don't always have time to post much, but when I have popped in every so often I'd never seen any posts from him. Then I was afraid to ask, in case of putting my foot in it, or there being sad news. Glad to hear it's just retirement!

Enjoy Wales.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 7th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Today we signed a contract with a local estate agent to put our current London house on the market. Still can't wrap my head around the fact that the guide price he (and two other agents) valued this one at, this very ordinary end of terrace, with virtually no front garden, no garage or off-street parking, and that desperately needs refurbishment, is valued at more than what we just paid for the new place in Wales, with all the land, and space, and the seperate annexe!
London prizes are crazy, and not in a good way (though I'm not complaining since it's working in our favour right now).
Kavey
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 7th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I know what you mean Kavey, it's almost obscene but...... if it's the means to an end then it will enrich your life then why not. My Dad always said there was nothing wrong with putting your cash into bricks and mortar. Hence our current project.... I could never live in large town, It's far too claustrophobic for me, I can visit but I need the wide open spaces long term... Lucky to have the choice I suppose. My next fear is downsizing but I will cross that bridge when I have to...

Good luck to you and your new venture....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Thanks Zosh!
Kavey
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop