Learning to knit

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Learning to knit

Postby slimpersoninside » January 6th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please.

In my teens my mum taught me the very basics of knitting (I got as far as making a scarf) but I didn't carry it on. Fast forward to now (a very long way from my teens) and I'd really love to take it up. My question is how do I go about learning? I don't know anyone who can knit to learn from.

Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Re: Learning to knit

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 6th, 2019, 6:23 pm

I haven't knitted for years … but Suffs does a lot. If you can remember how you knitted a scarf then you already have a head start. There will be YouTube videos you can refer to … I see you haven't put whereabouts in the world you live. You never know you may live round the corner from one of us who knows....

You could also search out a local Knit and Stitch group … I know my library has one ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 6th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Do you happen to have a branch of Hobbycraft in your area? Our local one hosts a range of 'how to' classes, including knitting & crochet.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 6th, 2019, 7:10 pm

It will probably come back to you really quickly. I had the same very basic learning from Mum.

I started again as an adult & got a library book out to remind me of the stitches. That was maybe 25 or more years ago & I didn't have anyone around to show me. It worked well enough, but now with the internet it is amazingly easy to just watch You Tube tutorials for just about any craft. It's probably easier than looking at diagrams in books too. I've learned shetland lace, short row shaping & all new techniques that way, it's wonderful as you can really see what they're doing & pause & rewind as much as needed! The next best thing to having your own Mum or Granny to show you.

I actually go to a knit & natter & to a quilt group, but must say I learn all the complicated bits from online videos. At knit & natter they all just knit simple straight knitting, might be because the nattering is counter productive to complicated knitting & we end up going home & unpicking all the mistakes!! :lol:

If you have a local wool shop they might run classes, or at least start you off with an easy pattern. Once you get started you'll probably be spoiled for choice of all the free patterns on Ravelry & other knitting forums & websites.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 6th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I have the same yearning to crochet. Thanks for the tip about Hobbycraft. So far, 3 local yarn shops have said they don't offer courses.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Amber » January 6th, 2019, 11:01 pm

I have learnt both from books over the years. Anything I have problems with now, there’s always an on-line tutorial somewhere.. ;) :D .

Speed, however, I still haven’t mastered.
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2019, 11:05 pm

you tube is my go-to place if i need to find out how to do something.
you will also be able to find vids on how to knit the continental way - much easier and quicker than the traditional way.
- like this .
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 6th, 2019, 11:12 pm

scullion wrote:you tube is my go-to place if i need to find out how to do something.
you will also be able to find vids on how to knit the continental way - much easier and quicker than the traditional way.
- like this .

I had no idea that there was a "continental method - perhaps that explains my wizard knitter German friends!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2019, 11:19 pm

actually, this is a similar but slightly different way of doing it and was the one i was taught.
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » January 6th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Youtube is great! I was never a great knitter (my mother was the knitting and crocheting champion in the family), but I can work a knitting Susan or a loom ring. So I made a scarf for Axel's granddaughter on a knitting loom. And since that worked so well I tried a bobbly hat for myself from very basic polyester yarn and that worked well, too. Will try and expand my range by learning to knit and crochet properly. :bounce:
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2019, 1:15 am

It depends on how you want to do it as a hobby - but I know of a couple of knit and natter type groups here and our local wool shop does both knit and crochet classes, she’s a good teacher and they aren’t expensive, and I’d probably start with a couple of classes then move to a group if I were doing it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2019, 9:26 am

Ma was what is called a good ‘plain knitter’ keeping us all kitted out with warm and serviceable jumpers and cardigans, and she taught me the basic pearl and plain stitches, but I’d never knitted anything beyond scarves until I started on matinee jackets when I was pregnant. I had two ‘difficult’ pregnancies and had to ‘rest’ so spent every afternoon teaching myself how to follow the little lacy patterns and sew them up and I just carried on from there.

Books from the library helped a lot but if Utube had been around then it would’ve been great ... I've used it recently to improve my sewing up :D :tu:
Ive not been to Knit & Natter groups (or Stitch & Bitch) but I know folk who have and they say that other knitters are really helpful in sharing tips.

I used to belong to a village WI which had some amazing knitters and there were also knitting classes in the local Horticultural Show. and I think that seeing the standard of some of the work there enabled me to work out how to improve my own knitting techniques.

I really enjoy knitting and have found that it helps me in the way that meditation helps some other folk. Apparently it had similar effects on the brain.

Enjoy :D
Last edited by suffolk on January 7th, 2019, 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2019, 9:46 am

I can knit and I have done in the past but I have very unhappy memories of being taught by my godmother's m-i-l who was a ferocious Victorian lady who hit me over the knuckles with her steel knitting needle every time I dropped a stitch.
I'm much better at sewing - my lovely gentle Granny taught me.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 7th, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm not sure about the Continental versions of knitting - they look pretty awkward to me but I was taught by my Scottish granny who used to walk around while knitting - she tucked the needles under her arms :lol: :lol: She would keep small balls of coloured wools in her apron pocket and would knit complicated Fairisle patterns whilst walking up and down the garden!
My only contribution to the conversation would be that once you have practised and mastered the art and are going to make your first proper garment - buy the best wool that you can afford. Cheap yarn produces cheap looking garments - and they won't wash well and keep their shape.
I love to knit and make sweaters for my GS that are passed around DD's friends when he has outgrown them. It is a very relaxing pastime and in the evening it stops me from drinking too much wine :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2019, 11:34 am

Meganthemog wrote:I'm not sure about the Continental versions of knitting - they look pretty awkward to me

many things are awkward until we get used to them!

did your grannie use a knitting stick as well?
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » January 7th, 2019, 11:49 am

My mother was very fast in that Continental style. Once, on holiday on Dartmoor, my father fell ill and she wanted something to do. She could knit or crochet so many stitches and styles, but when we hit the craft shop in Okehampton she realised that the knitting "alphabet" was different in English magazines. There was a pattern she fancied, and she thought she might try it just from the photograph, but then the shop keeper, with me as an interpreter, helped her sort it. A bit of yarn and needles were produced, amazed looks at the different styles ensued, but in the end my mother and the lady had sorted it all, yarn was bought and three days later my mother took the sweater in cream and old rosé to the shop to show off and buy more yarn for a second one for me.
The shopkeeper asked my mother if she could show it off in the window for a few days while the new one was knitted and my mother agreed. They sold quite a bit of yarn and a few extra magazines. :)
uschi
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 7th, 2019, 11:54 am

scullion wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:I'm not sure about the Continental versions of knitting - they look pretty awkward to me

many things are awkward until we get used to them!

did your grannie use a knitting stick as well?

No she just tucked them under her arms! My mother used the same technique but wasn't as proficient as granny. It was my granny that taught me to do Aran and Fairisle - she had infinite patience and never used a pattern - they were all in her head.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 7th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I attend a craft group on Wednesday afternoons, we have had a least one person who wanted to learn to knit and couple who had not knitted since childhood, there is always someone to help them.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby uschi » January 7th, 2019, 5:49 pm

This is how I made the hat and the scarf.

http://onemamasdailydrama.com/loom-knit-hat-beginners/
uschi
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 7th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Thanks all.

I had a quick look on the internet for a local group but didn't find anything (anyone would think I live in the rear end of the world ;) ). There are no yarn or craft shops in town, I shall venture further afield when time allows, until then I'll look at youtube and get a feel for it.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby uschi » January 7th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I hope you'll find a group of like-minded people soon, Debbie!

I keep thinking that it would be a good idea to start a craft café here on the estate, but I don´t want to be the only one to start and manage it. If a group could be founded and we could do it together, then that would be fun.
uschi
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 8th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Nice idea Uschi. You'll have to try and whip up some support. Good luck.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop