Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby KC2 » January 7th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried cutting down the sugar in brownies, and if so, what happened?

I use a pretty standard recipe that perfectly fills the baking tin I use:
100g plain choc, 125g butter, 275g sugar, tsp vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 85g flour, 2 tbsp cocoa powder

Last time I made them I only used 250g sugar and they were fine, but I'm wondering if I could further cut it down without ruining them! They are very sweet - I know that's part of the fun with them, but I would be happy if they were a bit less sweet.

I'm not trying to cut out the sugar for dietary reasons, just because they are so, so sweet!

Am I imagining it or have we had a talk about baking with less sugar on another thread? Does anyone remember? :oops:
KC2
Registered
 
Posts: 992
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: West London

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2019, 7:06 pm

You started a thread called sugar free cake a while back. If you put that in the search facility you'll find it (can't link as no idea how on a phone!).

I think that Brownies have to have a high sugar content in order to be characteristically chewy. Many of us have used Suelle's recipe in the past and the proportions are similar. I think you could probably experiment with reducing gradually until the texture or flavour changed. I really don't like them much.
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 11142
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby Suelle » January 7th, 2019, 8:06 pm

I cut down the sugar in my favourite recipe by 25% - from 600g to 450g (a big trayful!) - without noticing a huge difference, so I think you could probably go down to 200g.

As earthmaiden says - it's sugar that gives the characteristic chewiness, so as you cut it down, the brownies become lighter and more cake-like.
User avatar
Suelle
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5505
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2019, 8:17 pm

In last nights Dragons Den there was a cake/dessert making business which made them without gluten and sugar etc. They said they replaced the sugar in brownies with courgettes. Everyone said they thought they tasted great and wouldn’t guess they had courgettes in them. Worth heading for Catch Up ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 38926
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby Suelle » January 7th, 2019, 9:01 pm

suffolk wrote:In last nights Dragons Den there was a cake/dessert making business which made them without gluten and sugar etc. They said they replaced the sugar in brownies with courgettes. Everyone said they thought they tasted great and wouldn’t guess they had courgettes in them. Worth heading for Catch Up ...


Unless there was artificial sweetener in the brownies, all I can say is that the tasters were lying! IMO, you cannot remove all sugar, replace it with something which much less natural sugar and still have it taste as sweet.

I've only ever made one 'sugarless' cake which tasted almost as sweet as an ordinary cake and it was basically dried fruit and nuts (including date purée), and banana held together by egg whites and a little polenta:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/514 ... d-rum-loaf
User avatar
Suelle
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5505
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby KC2 » January 7th, 2019, 9:28 pm

earthmaiden wrote:You started a thread called sugar free cake a while back. If you put that in the search facility you'll find it (can't link as no idea how on a phone!).


How embarrassing ... :oops: :oops:

I've found it, back in April ... Nice re-reading it!

Well, I will probably make some more in the next few days and will lose some more on the way down to 200 g ....

Suelle wrote:I cut down the sugar in my favourite recipe by 25% - from 600g to 450g (a big trayful!) - without noticing a huge difference, so I think you could probably go down to 200g.

As earthmaiden says - it's sugar that gives the characteristic chewiness, so as you cut it down, the brownies become lighter and more cake-like.


Suelle, really curious now, what is your favourite recipe?
KC2
Registered
 
Posts: 992
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: West London

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby Suelle » January 7th, 2019, 10:00 pm

This recipe - the biscuit pieces can be replaced by nuts, chocolate chips or just left out altogether.

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2018/ ... scuit.html

This is a reduced size recipe, and the sugar has already been reduced - the original made a 20 x 30cm tray, which is impossibly large for me now.
User avatar
Suelle
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5505
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby KC2 » January 7th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Oooh they look fab!! :chops: :chops:
KC2
Registered
 
Posts: 992
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: West London

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby Suelle » January 8th, 2019, 7:46 am

KC2 wrote:Oooh they look fab!! :chops: :chops:


My recipe would probably still be too sweet for you, although the larger amount of flour and eggs might ofset that.
User avatar
Suelle
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5505
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2019, 10:26 am

Suelle wrote:
KC2 wrote:Oooh they look fab!! :chops: :chops:


My recipe would probably still be too sweet for you, although the larger amount of flour and eggs might ofset that.


If the sugar content is what makes the chewiness then so be it :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered
 
Posts: 992
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: West London

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2019, 10:29 am

Suelle wrote:
suffolk wrote:In last nights Dragons Den there was a cake/dessert making business which made them without gluten and sugar etc. They said they replaced the sugar in brownies with courgettes. Everyone said they thought they tasted great and wouldn’t guess they had courgettes in them. Worth heading for Catch Up ...


Unless there was artificial sweetener in the brownies, all I can say is that the tasters were lying! IMO, you cannot remove all sugar, replace it with something which much less natural sugar and still have it taste as sweet.

I've only ever made one 'sugarless' cake which tasted almost as sweet as an ordinary cake and it was basically dried fruit and nuts (including date purée), and banana held together by egg whites and a little polenta:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/514 ... d-rum-loaf


They didn't give the recipe (obviously) but the flour was replaced by ground almonds ... can't remember if they said there was any honey or something like that ...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/dragons- ... s-8315983/
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 38926
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Reducing the sugar in brownies ....

Postby slimpersoninside » January 8th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Suelle wrote:This recipe - the biscuit pieces can be replaced by nuts, chocolate chips or just left out altogether.

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2018/ ... scuit.html

This is a reduced size recipe, and the sugar has already been reduced - the original made a 20 x 30cm tray, which is impossibly large for me now.


I've used your full sized recipe for years, it's great to have a smaller version. Thank you.
slimpersoninside
Registered
 
Posts: 886
Joined: February 20th, 2011, 1:46 pm


Return to The Coffee Shop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests