Blast from the past

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Blast from the past

Postby hickybank » January 9th, 2019, 8:55 am

We are having 4 friends round on friday night,so for a change I thought we will go retro & have dug out my old Fondue set,
I cannot remember the last time we used it but really looking forward to it.
I remember it was popular in the 70s/8os I wonder why it went out of fashion.
I will stick to the traditional Swiss Fondue, with Bread,Brocilli. Cauliflower & Celery dips,
There might be a lot of alcohol involved as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Blast from the past

Postby Ratatouille » January 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

Don't forget the Kirch then Hicky.

They never went out of fashion and we always used to have a bourgignon fondue on Christmas Evein this house. It's a favourite when the family comes.

Our Swiss friends invite us at least once a year to have a Swiss one. She normally serves only bread with hers but serves mixed charcuterie with drinks before and there is always a glass of kitrch in the mixture and everyone has a shot glass to have with it. She claims it cuts the fat but I reckon it's just because it seems just right! :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 9th, 2019, 10:23 am

I have the Kirch standing by with shot glasses, the veggie dips are just a trial really.
I think perhaps in France, Switzerland etc they are still popular, in the UK not so much I don'y think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2019, 11:47 am

We had one on NYE. We often do. Will probably have another soon, as we only half used the gel fuel and there is lots of cheese to use up post Christmas,
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » January 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm

My long post disappeared :shock:, but have lots of spare gel cells. :oops: ;) :D

I found the photo of our lovely red wine fondue. No cheese? I thought it was in Bruges, but it may have been here http://www.fonduetje.be. Kortrijk?

41D577BC-127F-4ED3-94F2-9539215C1BF7.jpeg
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2019, 2:25 pm

My fondue history began in Bayonne with a friend I used to go on road trips with in the '90s. Then, when she started coming to stay when I was in Oxford, we would hire a camcorder (big heavy things) and a fondue would always be made and recorded, along with lots of other silly things. It always seemed to take hours to get it to work (I would always be tipsy by the time it was ready :oops: ) It was an all-evening experience! Now it seems to be all too quick. The time taken was part of the fun.

I did digitize all those old videos, but seem to have lost the conversions. I should do it again. (It was a bit tricky, I seem to remember.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Tonights the night for ours. all set up, the Fondue runs off Methelated spirits, & the best bits are always the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pot.
I agree it is usually a tipsy evening & our 4 guest's have all never had one so should be interesting.
Good thing is they live a short walk (or stagger) from us
Kirsch is ready & shot glasses,they don't know whats comming do they :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2019, 8:22 pm

The only downside is cleaning the pot...? My first fondue set was stainless steel, and no dishwasher. Current one is cast iron so not so bad.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 12th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Mine is crock, it does stick but not too bad to clean.
We had a brilliant night, sat round the table chatting, eating & drinking till late
I feel a little the worste for wear today though, when will I ever learn :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 14th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I love fondue, we had it most recently in Lille at a cheese place...
I prefer crusty white bread, some good ham, gherkins and some small boiled or steamed new potatoes, to dip.
Not a fan of the broccoli or celery stuff, but as long as you enjoy is the most important thing!
Kavey
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 14th, 2019, 7:53 pm

My fondue set is Le Creuset - would never ever tip over and is not at all difficult to clean, Mr R bought it for me for a birthday present in 1986. Trouble is it need 2 people to lift it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I am inspired to dig out my old fondue set....we have a new DiL, and I think it might be a new thing for her...she loves her food, and I think she’d find it fun.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 14th, 2019, 9:25 pm

I love it because it brings the art of conversation back to the table, along with the fact you do not have to be a good cook ( or even a bad one } to put a Fondue evening on
hickybank
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 15th, 2019, 9:53 am

I agree, perfect for family gatherings. Also excellent for getting even quite young children to take part in a meal and te behave very well too. We used to tell ours that fondues were really for grown-ups because some children can't behave properly at the table and it would be too dangerous. We never had any problems because they loved them so much
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » January 15th, 2019, 8:55 pm

For much the same reasons, we love raclette. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 16th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Us too Amber. My raclette set is about 30 years old!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » January 16th, 2019, 9:35 pm

We have several raclettes and could probably cope with twenty+ people? I’m not certain because we chucked some old ones out recently. It’s cheaper to buy new than spend hours cleaning them :shock: .

Maybe we should try having a mixture evening? Fondue and raclette?

For anyone interested, the Andrew James stone raclettes (available direct, by pick up, or from Amazon) are excellent value for money, and easy to clean, but buy spare raclette pans if you can. And...remember not to put them back under the grill after use :shock: :D

Another tip, we find it much easier to buy raclette cheese from Waitrose; the local (good) cheese shop always slices too much, and too thick.

Btw the reason we have so many options are allergies, vegetarians etc
Amber
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop