Favourite Nigella recipes?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Favourite Nigella recipes?

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 21st, 2019, 6:27 pm

The last three times that I have been into our large Cancer Research charity store, I have managed to pick up three very good quality hardback Nigella books for 50p each - Feast, Kitchen and Nigella Express. I could be wrong but I don't think I have ever followed one of her recipes. That will change soon.

Do you have any favourites in any of her books?

So far her salads are looking delicious on the whole!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Favourite Nigella recipes?

Postby KC2 » January 21st, 2019, 6:58 pm

I don't have any of her books but have used several of her recipes, mainly from the web, or from friends. There's a great chicken traybake with leeks and frozen peas, and I think fresh dill. Having seen it on TV I was trying to find the recipe and one of you talented Wildies kindly found it for me! I can't remember who at the moment, I'm afraid. Ah, here's the link: https://adobe.ly/2FNurWJ
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 21st, 2019, 7:03 pm

Found the thread, and it was PepperPig who found it for me :D https://bit.ly/2T8qpfA Thank you PP! We've made it often :D
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 21st, 2019, 7:22 pm

Sorry . Can't stand the woman or her recipes.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 21st, 2019, 8:52 pm

I’m a big Nigella fan . Her brownies are fab , are her salt and vinegar potatoes . Her ham in cola is also very good
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 21st, 2019, 9:15 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I’m a big Nigella fan . Her brownies are fab , are her salt and vinegar potatoes . Her ham in cola is also very good

Which brownies are they please? I've got a few of her books so probably have the recipe, just a prod in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 21st, 2019, 9:31 pm

All her Rocky Road recipes are in big demand by my lot. Coq au Riesling is a favourite here. But I’ve never done a recipe of hers that doesn’t work, even if I don’t like it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 21st, 2019, 10:32 pm

I sometimes make her ricotta hotcakes for a weekend breakfast.
Last time we had them with damson puree and a cup of good coffee.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 22nd, 2019, 10:34 am

I´ve made her Chocolate Beetroot Cake about 100 times! It never fails.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 22nd, 2019, 10:42 am

I have a coterie of Nigella recipes that I make regularly though as with many favorite recipes I've tweaked them over the years. Always do her ham in coca-cola at Christmas.

Tezza, two from Nigella Express I do a lot are the mirin-glazed salmon and the 'rib sticking' stir-fry. Both excellent mid-week recipes in my opinion.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2019, 10:56 am

Dear FCQ was a great fan of Nigella's books ... it was on her recommendation that I bought Kitchen and How to Eat and I've never regretted it ... full of good reliable recipes for tasty food for family and friends.

I do find her television manner irritating, but the recipes are so good that I'm prepared to put up with it and at least she's has character and a distinct personality ... and she's had some sh*t to deal with in her life ... and after all, who knows how well I/we would come over on tv :shock: :oops: :lol: ;)

Just a few favourite 'go to' recipes are the Spanish chicken traybake, Vietnamese pork noodle soup, Quick chicken Caesar and her Roasted Seafood ... all from Feast. :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am

I used to make her chocolate mousse a lot .. iirc it involved dark chocolate, marshmallows and cream … that's all :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 22nd, 2019, 11:29 am

Her Gooey Chocolate Puddings are so quick, easy and absolutely infallible. They never fail to impress guests who are conditioned by the many chocolate fondant failures on tv, to think that I’m doing something really clever. I only give very special friends the secret recipe!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 22nd, 2019, 11:30 am

I often do my chicken wings following her recipe. It involves simmering a whole bulb of garlic in water, then blitzing it with EVOO and smothering the wings in the resulting goo and marinading them for several hours. OH can demolish a platter of these on his own. :chops:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am

I find Nigella on TV very annoying, I swear that she is getting worse. However, her recipes work and they are made for domestic kitchens unlike some of those produced by "celebrity chefs"
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am

cyprusmoira wrote: her recipes work and they are made for domestic kitchens unlike some of those produced by "celebrity chefs"

That is hugely important :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2019, 12:10 pm

I don’t have any of her books myself but have used recipes from online sources and eaten them cooked by friends

I cooked my Christmas duck by her method, my new default

I think she’s particularly strong on baking, pasta and rice dishes. She was an au pair in Italy and so pasta and other Italian dishes is one of her things

I like her techniques and how she describes them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 22nd, 2019, 6:37 pm

I love her chocolate loaf cake, it's a dense one, I make it with even darker chocolate, love it.
And of course her clementine cake.
I've also adapted her marzipan cake, the mixture was very sloppy so reduced eggs, plus cook it in individual muffins rather than one big cake. Lovely recipe!
Kavey
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 22nd, 2019, 7:23 pm

Her faux Reese's ;) I do find her very annoying, too - all that hair tossing and wide-eyed come hither thing, not to mention her implausible midnight feasts, which she clearly rarely has. I know she's not quite sylph like (all the time) but if she really ate what she cooks on the tv on a regular basis... well anyway, it's selling a life style dream isn't it, as much as anything - and that did put me off buying her books. I have made exactly three of her recipes. The peanut chocolate cups (yum.) A last minute Christmassy fruit cake ('Date and marmalade. Very expensive to make if you used all the version of ingredients that she demanded, but very good.) And a somewhat disappointing Thai-ish thing. But looking at the one book I have of hers - the Feel Good Food one - I am tempted by quite a few of the things in there.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 22nd, 2019, 11:09 pm

I have never made any of her recipes except the clementine cake once which I didn't like much. Some of her stuff on TV looks very good though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 22nd, 2019, 11:36 pm

I have really delved into her books these past couple of nights. The style of writing really pleases me. I am happily stopping every couple of pages to spot something interesting.

One of the three books, not sure which, has a recipe for Marmite spaghetti. I have cooked that in my vegan days, probably from her book borrowed from the library, underwhelmed because I wouldn't have included butter or Parmesan then. Will have to try that one again, possibly tweaked with cherry tomatoes and avocado?

Thanks for your comments on the subject! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am

earthmaiden wrote:I have never made any of her recipes except the clementine cake once which I didn't like much. Some of her stuff on TV looks very good though.

Isn't that the adaptation with clementines of Claudia Roden's orange and almond cake? The one in which Roden boils oranges until they're soft and then blitzes them, then adds ground almonds and sugar and eggs? I've made the Roden one a lot and it never fails.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am

I've just realised that another firm favourite (and regular) meal here is one of hers from Kitchen ... Quick Calamari Pasta ... it's on the menu for this evening :chops:

And if I occasionally find I've lost my cooking/eating mojo a read of her 'How to Eat' soon gets me inspired again :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2019, 11:55 am

I have made a slightly different version of the orange cake from a colleague who was brought up in Jordan and assured me that every home baker in the Middle East has a version
I've had the clementine cake made by friends, I think depending on the clementines used the flavour varies quite a bit, but I like most versions of that recipe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 23rd, 2019, 12:02 pm

Yes, KC2, it is, as Sue says, an adaptation of that kind of cake. The clementines had to be cooked for ages, filling the house with the 'aroma and I am not overly keen on claggy ground almond cakes. I am sure I got it right but it seemed a lot of faff for a cake which didn't excite me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 23rd, 2019, 8:32 pm

Funnily enough, with oranges I've always felt it was dead easy and very little faff :lol: :lol:

Fair enough if you don't like the texture, EM - I can understand that :D

Sue, would love to know what your slightly different version involves, from your colleague with the Jordan take on it!
KC2
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 23rd, 2019, 11:42 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:One of the three books, not sure which, has a recipe for Marmite spaghetti. I have cooked that in my vegan days, probably from her book borrowed from the library, underwhelmed because I wouldn't have included butter or Parmesan then. Will have to try that one again, possibly tweaked with cherry tomatoes and avocado?

My younger 2 nephews love this and is often made for lunch. I wouldn't make it as a dinner though. I sometimes add cream cheese to it but can't imagine it with tomatoes or avocado at all. I give then a small side salad with it - that said they have a side salad with most meals

I am another who can't watch Nigella on TV, I find her presentation quite cringe worthy as do I with Nigel Slater. I find him rather creepy.
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 24th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Catherine - I am pretty sure you first alerted me to Marmite spaghetti yonks ago! :D

Upon reflection I am also now doubting avocado would work. I do tend to put Marmite with avocado all the time but just remembered that thinking about hot avocado doesn't really do anything for me. :rolleyes:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 3rd, 2019, 7:15 am

I happened to catch one of the Nigella Bites episodes on the Food Channel yesterday, the copyright was 2000 so probably made in 1999. There was very little flouncing about, it was nice to see her first husband, John Diamond in the background. Pomegranate seeds were mentioned in passing "if you can get them"
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Lokelani » February 4th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Also can't stand watching her on TV but like some of her recipes.
I'd forgotten about marmite spaghetti, that was yum for a quick warm lunch.
I love making her chilli jelly.
The chicken pieces with leeks, peas, white wine & dill was great & easy & I was amazed the chicken skin crisped up but it did, we found it really greasy though so I stopped making it. Could take the skin off the chicken but then it wouldn't be very yummy either.
I once made her Sambuca Kisses, for a special treat:
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sambuca_kisses_79344
They were amazing, really light & fluffy, think I used rum instead of Sambuca & we dipped them in maple syrup.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 4th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Lokelani wrote:The chicken pieces with leeks, peas, white wine & dill was great & easy

I was very excited when I saw that recipe but found it distinctly Yuk hen I cooked it.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 5th, 2019, 5:08 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Lokelani wrote:The chicken pieces with leeks, peas, white wine & dill was great & easy

I was very excited when I saw that recipe but found it distinctly Yuk hen I cooked it.

(maybe because you cooked a hen :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't resist :oops: )

Lokelani wrote:
The chicken pieces with leeks, peas, white wine & dill was great & easy & I was amazed the chicken skin crisped up but it did, we found it really greasy though so I stopped making it. Could take the skin off the chicken but then it wouldn't be very yummy either.

Interesting, I don't recall us finding it greasy, Lokelani, will watch out next time we do it.
KC2
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 7th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I had some chillies to use up from last year's crop. Have just made the chilli jam with it, very good. Thank you Lokelani for the inspiration :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop