Kefir anybody ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Kefir anybody ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 4th, 2019, 10:03 am

Do you like/drink/buy it ?

Along with Scullion and Hope, I make my own (in fact I first got my 'grains' from Hope :tu: ). If you would like to make your own, I have enough grains to give away … Kefir ferments overnight on the counter top, so every morning, I drink the previous day's brew and then set up a new batch.

Here is an extract from an article in BBC Good Food:

Kefir is a cultured, fermented milk drink, originally from the mountainous region that divides Asia and Europe. It is similar to yogurt – but a drink, with a tart, sour taste and a slight ‘fizz’. This is due to carbon dioxide – the end product of the fermentation process. The length of the fermentation time will affect the taste. Kefir is a good source of calcium and is rich in probiotic bacteria.

If you want to give it a go, let me know and I will send you some live grains with full instructions.

It can be made from all mammal milks and others even use coconut milk too. The fermenation process reduces the lactic acid that is often the cause of intolerances.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Kefir anybody ?

Postby Ratatouille » February 4th, 2019, 10:15 am

A very kind offer Pat but the whole idea of drinking any sort of milk especially fermented I just can't do.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » February 4th, 2019, 10:55 am

Kefir is lovely, especially mixed with a dash of smoothie (I am lazy and buy the stuff at Aldi's).
My mother and I made our own Kefir in the '80s, but after a year or so we grew tired of it. I guess with such a good selection of smoothies it would be different now.
I alternate between Kefir (to be had everywhere here) and buttermilk.
uschi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm

The stuff you buy has been pasteurised and so the probiotics have to be added back … I found it quite pleasant, but now really enjoy my daily morning dose. I have never thought about flavouring it at all and each day's ferment tastes slightly different. It usually depends on the temperature of the kitchen and how long you ferment for.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » February 4th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I eat live yoghurt and live Sauerkraut, so I do get some probiotics.
I have trouble with same-old-same-old, that's why I don't keep Kefir anymore.
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 4th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Yes please Patsy, I do need instructions too... :D I think you have our address. :bounce:

I am just wondering if kefir might help my digestion, I have had a few uncomfortable moments over recent days.
Last edited by Zosherooney on February 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I adore choucroute - wonderful stuff but anything with milk I'll pass thaank you ! xx
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » February 5th, 2019, 6:12 am

I forgot to say, kefir is also used in desserts here in various forms. Very nice and summery!
uschi
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

I buy it at the Polish shop and apparently it is "live" - I hope so. I've started having it for breakfast with cut up apple and banana and blueberries when they're a good price at the market, with a bit of muesli on top.
It's also usually available at the nearest large Tesco. Again, it's Polish but a different brand and I don't know if it's live/got the cultures in.

Talking of muesli I remember a thread a while ago when we discussed which store brands we liked, and a few of us mentioned one of the Lidl ones. I since had a closer look at the sugar content and found it was incredibly high (although not through added sugar) and so have switched brands now.
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop