Who loves a market?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Who loves a market?

Postby suffolk » February 4th, 2019, 10:47 am

Norwich Market is really great ... lots of really good foodie stalls as well as loads of other stuff .... and now it's been recognised as the best large outdoor market in Britain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... in-britain

I regularly buy great meat, game, veg, fish, bread, cheese, spices and charcuterie there.

Who else loves shopping at their local market?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Re: Who loves a market?

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2019, 11:18 am

I do indeed, but they seem to be far and few between, in London, at least, unless you count over priced so called farmers' markets, which are quite abundant. My local one (to work) has transformed into a (quite pricey) street food market in the last few years. There are about 5 non-street food stalls left. I suppose this all reflects the fact that people are not buying day to day goods anymore. (They can, after all, now go to Primark, Ikea, TK Max and Aldi for bargains.) Food markets have become purveyors of upmarket, luxury goods, or 'ready meals', essentially.

Always try to go to one when in France. Our nearest one is in Saint-Hilaire-du-Harcouët. It's huge and they sell everything.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby uschi » February 4th, 2019, 11:22 am

Wuppertal's markets are not great, but I do go to the Saturday market in Barmen quite often to get plants, fruit, veg and freerange chicken from a former classmate of mine.

The food stalls aren't that great otherwise, but we hit the city centre (Barmen is not exactly the greates part of Wuppertal) for a coffee and cake or sandwich afterwards and for a mooch round the shops.
uschi
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 4th, 2019, 11:32 am

In a former life I used to visit Norwich market once or twice a week, always came back with a bloater for Saturday tea :chops:

I was brought up in Edmonton, there's still a market there. The demographic changes over the course of my lifetime have meant that all sorts of produce is available and at a very reasonable price. I always pop in if I'm down there, however one by one my reasons for visiting the area have reduced (job, relatives). On a recent visit I saw some white sweet potatoes, which I was looking for in order to make a Tessa Kiros pudding recipe. I can't say I've ever seen them in Herts. The best market I've seen round here is St Albans, very big and very busy. It's spread along the street rather than in a square like Norwich. The farmers' market is good there too. I quite like farmers' markets, we visit Hertford and Great Amwell regularly, though they are both fairly small. Little Hadham is excellent, the last one before Christmas was buzzing (not simply because of the honey stall :D ) - wonderful considering the size of the village.

Now that I'm toiling in the fields again I don't buy much fruit & veg, except exotics and local seasonal specialities such as asparagus and strawberries. It tends to be more meat and game, fish, cheeses & charcuterie. We've lost our fishmongers round here, not sure where the nearest ones are outside supermarket counters, so the markets are very handy. We have got some excellent butchers around though and I do use those.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 11:55 am

I love markets. We don't have one any more and even attempts at a Farmers Market have been quite poor. The nice one round here is Devizes every Thursday (lucky Zosh gets to go a lot!). Masses of very cheap fruit, veg and cheese and nice bread and a few other treats. There are smaller versions nearer home but not so nice. The trouble is, it's 20 miles away so has to be factored in as a nice day out rather than a moneysaver! Stroud is supposed to be amazing but I haven't managed to get there yet.

Norwich was lovely when I was a child, it's great that it goes from strength to strength. There are still nice markets all over Norfolk.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 4th, 2019, 12:37 pm

I saw that article Suffs and am deeply envious. Our local market is pants. :(
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I use local markets as much as possible. Firstly, they´re generally cheaper, and secondly, the produce is always fresh. Sometimes, I can find unusual or uncommon veg ; last week I snapped up a huge bunch of mustard leaves, and I´ve even found local cranberries at one.
When ever I travel, the local market is always on my visit list. In Barcelona, I went to the Boqueria - fascinating, although expensive. In México City, I went to the Mercado San Miguel and to the Medellín markets, and in Ohio, I visited the Findlay market almost every day!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 4th, 2019, 1:24 pm

AS some of you know we have one of the best weekly markets in France, some say Europe every Saturday in our nearest town. In addition there is a market very single day, including Sundays close by. We rarely buy fruit, veg, cheese. fish and flowers anywhere else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaevCg7ccMs
In Newcastle I used to shop every week in the covered Grainger Market. It has since had a complete refurbishment.

Not very far away is the huge farmers market - called a peasant market here in Velleron. In season only and takes place in the evening when it is cooler. It is a must do and see too
https://curiousprovence.com/velleron-ni ... roducteur/
Last edited by Ratatouille on February 4th, 2019, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm

We don’t have very good markets, our nearest in the next market town is dire apart from one really good bread stall. York market isn’t much good, I think because it’s such a tourist city not many people go into the city centre to actually shop.

You can almost draw a virtual line through York, one side is predominantly touristy and thriving, the other side - a traditional high street is dying before our eyes. It’s very sad but I’m not sure what the answer is. York has been completely pedestrianised, great for tourism not much good if you want to do a food shop and have to carry shopping some distance to a car access point/ bus stop.

In theory I love a good market, the only bit I don’t like is when it’s heaving with people. When we lived in Manchester I was a regular, but very early, shopper at Bury market. Again, renown for its market. Get there early doors before the crowds.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 4th, 2019, 3:18 pm

I love a good market but oddly we do not have decent markets in Cyprus. There is a cavernous Municipal Market in central Limassol but I have not been there for a long time. I have often wondered why the larger villages such as Pissouri or Episcopi do not have weekly markets
There are markets associated with local celebrations and saint's days, they usual sell lots of plastic toys, cage birds, I hate that bit, and household linens. The local ladies stock up on their linens then. There are usually pricey nut and dried fruit stalls.
No local celebration is complete without a Loukamades stall, usually translated as honey balls

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm

I too, love a good market, it is a must for us when in a new area or on holiday and if we are away, my research always includes market day. EM is right Devizes is a good market especially for food. I think I have mentioned Sandridge farm bacon before, I buy the offcuts on the market, a large tray for £2.50 - Golden rind is our favourite. The market also has a good feel to it. If you get to it late morning and they have a glut you can get some great BOGOF deals. I normally try and find someone to share one of their deals with or you end up with tons of stuff that just goes off. There is a fish stall but it is small. A meat 'waggon' I have not bought from there as my DF is chocka ! There is a make up stall too and I have managed to find lines that have disappeared from the shops. A clothes stall and a couple of shoe/boot stalls. There was a haberdashery stall last year but it has now gone. A good couple of dairy stalls with lots of bargains. Thinking about it, you can get most things at the market, right down to fence stain.

Then there is the Shambles a large indoor hall that is ancient. Used to be a cheese market centuries ago. In recent years it is almost run a bit like concessions. I only try and visit town once a week on a Thursday to combine with the market.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I love a good market
I grew up in what is still called a market town (Havant, Hampshire) and just remember the tail end of the original market which was a few veg and flower stalls on a bomb site until about 1962
Recently the council have revived the market tradition, as the main stree is pedestrianised they get those roving French markets occasionally (s’pose thise will die a death now) and a decent weekly market, largely non-food, a wonderful source of old ladies knickers and cheap dog collars

Round here we have a long established all organic farmers market on a Saturday, which seems to be tickling over. We had another produce market on a Sunday for about six weeks last summer then it closed without warning

We also have one of the traditional East End markets at Ridley Road, Dalston. It’s pedestrianised during market hours. Down one side there are permanent stalls, brick built lock ups. A lot of butchers of various ethnicities in there, but other things as well. On the other side are various shops and a labyrinthine indoor market, not food but hair braiding, clothing etc. The main stalls have always been a row of traditional stalls up either side of the road

When I first lived here it was very traditional, basic fruit and veg, some clothing, fabric by the yard, china and pots and pans. If you wanted “queer gear” - exotic fruit and veg there was one Cypriot and two West Indian stalls. I loved it. I did my shopping there most Saturdays. It’s been up and down since but over the last few years it has seemed as if various immigrants, especially West Africans, and a taste for street food have given it a boost

I hadn’t been down since November due to my eye ops. I knew there was a plan to closed the shopping village and build posh flats on the site and rumour had it it is blighting the market. Went down on Friday afternoon and it was dead. Shopping village is still just about open, but many of my regular stalls were missing. Very sad and rather worried. The main thing on sale seemed to be polyester toques
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Growing up in Sheffield there were two big indoor markets (at least one over at least two floors), and two quite big open air ones. My mother used to got once or twice a week - into town, a half hour bus ride away into town, a free bus service between three of the markets and the fourth, armed with her shopper on wheels. I hated going with her! I used to get really bored. I'd be in heaven now (apart from, perhaps, the meat bit.) This would be in the 70s when there were no big supermarkets and she didn't work so she had the time to do this. The fabric stalls were her treat.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 4th, 2019, 10:31 pm

I used to love Norwich market when I was a student at UEA - great to see it's still going strong after all these years!
Where I live now we have several good markets which sell all sorts of stuff including locally grown fruit & veggies and lots of plants.
We usually shop at a local fruit and veg. shop which also has lots of local produce - great for pineapples, mangoes, avocados etc. but also good veggies. We only occasionally go to the markets as they are a lot further away and don't have any more or better stuff than the local shops.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 4th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Not food, Ridley Road, 25 Jan
6C3E49D2-99DA-4595-A392-3CBE88DE685A.jpeg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » February 4th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Norwich market is definitely something special! :D I used to love visiting it when daughter was a student there.

We’ve also been to Dalston market. We stayed at a nearby premier inn, and I had one of the best taboulehs I’ve ever had, in a cafe there. Dalton square maybe? Somewhere near a famous jazz pub.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 4th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Probably somewhere near the Vortex on Gillett Place? The Vortex used to be nearer to me then relocated, remember Ian Shaw there on two different New Years Eve parties. Genius.
http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/

A lot of good Turkish food thereabouts, notably Mangal (Gilbert and George’s one time haunt), Hasan’s Meze and the Istanbul Iskembisi
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 5th, 2019, 6:44 am

Just remembered.... Blackbushe market, now sadly gone..... It was run on the site of BCA near Odiham. We used to go about 3 times a year as it is a bit of a hike. You could get absolutely anything there, you could furnish a house from there ! Every single nation of the world was there ! An Iranian clothes chap introduced us to Tom Waits there - he was playing on his boom box ! Happy times.....

We also like the market in Southall on a Saturday but again, it's a bit of a hike so only go when my Indian stocks are depleted and we fancy a 'Day out in India' !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 5th, 2019, 11:32 am

Zosherooney wrote:Blackbushe market, now sadly gone

It was splendid wasn't it? Such a shame it ended.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2019, 11:42 am

I used to got to Walthamstow market when I lived in Tottenham. Allegedly the longest market in Europe.

Shepherd's Bush and Berwick St in the 80s...

Not been to Ridley Road for years. Do they still sell living Giant Snails?! :shock:

I used to love Bakewell Market when I was a child, although was terrified of the giant (to me) lorries that one had to walk between to get from one bit to another. And my mother used to insist on a 7am start... I think it's all indoors now in a purpose built block. Not sure what's there anymore.

On the St Hilaire market, there is a lovely (very extrovert) elderly lady who sells very small amounts of presumably what she grows. We call her the bean lady (although obviously her actually being abean lady is season-dependent.).

Photos of her taken with her permission...

20134582850_9d1cdf83b6_z.jpg
19701597763_130de096b8_z.jpg
19701648083_0afca135cc_z.jpg
Attachments
26427038997_bcc599a29a_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I’ve not seen any giant snails in Dalston

Bought a load of spring bulbs in Bakewell a few years back, great value, love the market

I used to shop in Berwick Street when I was a student in the 70s
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 5th, 2019, 12:53 pm

The Norwich one looks great.

We have two brilliant ones...both on a separate Sunday each month. A large one in the local town and a smaller village market. Both tend to have live music, bars, themed events and shows etc going on as well as stalls and pop ups. The village market is in a different location each month around the village. I like having them on a Sunday as we’re not as busy as Saturdays and so are more likely to have time for a wander and meet friends or family there for food and drinks. There’s a stall at the one in town which sells the most amazing bacon and maple syrup pancakes... oh god I want one now! :D

https://www.treaclemarket.co.uk/

We used to love Kirkgate market in Leeds too when I was at university there.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 5th, 2019, 1:58 pm

One of the best things about Norwich market is that it’s open 6 days a week ... whichever day of the week you go shopping it’s always market day :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 5th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Tooting and Brixton market are both interesting for foodie stuff but the rest is pretty much tat as I find is the case with most markets. I did used to love going to Blackbushe market with my grandparents when I was a kid, it was huge. I'd love to go to the English Market in Cork
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 5th, 2019, 2:29 pm

The most wonderful food market I have ever been to is the Rialto in Venice. Mr R couldn't get me to leave.

I also absolutely loved the food souks in Marrakesh and Fez - even the camels heads and "other bits"
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 5th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I always look at markets when I’m travelling - seen some amazing markets in other countries, notably Mandalay fish market

In France I am always amused by the presence of the stall selling polyester tabard and house dresses, however upmarket the food stalls.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 5th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I grew up in Harlow which had a market every day except Wednesday and Sunday. Friday they called it a Flea market. Never saw any fleas! I think the regular traders took that day off and other folk could rent the stalls. I loved walking around that market. I think it was probably more pants than I remember. Happy days though!

I have a story about the lovely Norwich market. I took the train from Stansted one Saturday, we basically wanted to see the market, also the littlest pub in England, which we couldn't get in because it was so packed. :lol: My partner at the time had a hankering for trying mussels so we bought some off the market and I carried them home on the train in my backpack without realising they were alive. He knew they were alive and had a good laugh at my expense, but I had the last laugh when he cooked them back at home with white wine, garlic, parsley etc, but could only stomach eating them with a tea towel wrapped around his eyes and the curtains closed for darkness. Again, happy days!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » February 5th, 2019, 9:11 pm

When I first moved to Leeds the market, inside and outside, we're both thriving but over the years both have declined due to the high rents and rates the Council has imposed. There are still quite a few good butchers and fruit stalls but a lot of the quirky one have gone because the stall holders simply could not afford to keep them.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm

My partner at the time had a hankering for trying mussels

The nicest mussels I've ever had came (and still come) from Norfolk - Brancaster on the North coast. I always try to eat some if I'm up there in season. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 5th, 2019, 11:06 pm

The souk in Marrakesh had to be seen to be believed, also the souk in Istanbul - both heaving with peeps and hard work to get through. When we were in Turkey the small seaside town had a fantastic street market once a week. I bought two types of red pepper paste - one sweet the other hot - they lasted me 2+ years and cost me a tenner! Well worth the price.

I bought a scorpion fish in the Rialto market and brought it back to the UK with me ! I found the 2nd half in the DF today ! :D

Going back to Blackbushe market, at it's height large tour coaches used to come from abroad to visit the market, just like we go to their Christmas markets !

Some of the French markets are remarkable for the piles of coloured F&V. Saumur had a fabulous backdrop of lovely old buildings.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 5th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Sadly the best souk of all for my money was Aleppo, in northern Syria, now bombed. It was very much a local market, full of kids being kitted out for a new school term when I was there.

Marrakech and the bazaar in Istanbul both good though, found Cairo a bit too much hustle, did my shopping in Aswan and Luxor
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2019, 7:52 am

Badger's mate wrote:

The nicest mussels I've ever had came (and still come) from Norfolk - Brancaster on the North coast. I always try to eat some if I'm up there in season. :chops:

Oh yes, Brancaster mussels are wonderful :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » February 6th, 2019, 10:56 am

I love a market. We are lucky enough to have the largest indoor market in Wales here in Swansea - you can buy everything from fruit, veg and meat to a gold necklace or even get your umbrella repaired :lol: It's open 6 days a week and is an absolute joy to visit - DD is now completely converted and does all her shopping there.
The souks in Marrakesh were fabulous - I came back with some of the best quality spices at very little cost.
Part of the fun of holidays is finding the local market and just absorbing yourself in the atmosphere with the locals - OH and I love sitting and people watching :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Amber » February 6th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I ‘think’ this was the pub Sue, with the (ordinary) cafe in the pedestrian precinct almost opposite. I thought it was only a couple of years ago, but was probably six or seven years+ ago.

(Pic from google earth, pub looks dead...??)

Sorry, photo too big to load....it was next to the Dalston Eastern Curve garden.

Ah, memories. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 6th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Of course there is also Borough Market which doesn't take me long to get to but it is very expensive. Fun for soaking up the atmosphere though especially at Christmas and in the summer. Luca and I have often ventured over there
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2019, 12:06 pm

suffolk wrote:
Badger's mate wrote:

Oh yes, Brancaster mussels are wonderful :drool:

I’m going to make you jealous now Badgersmate ... I’ve just come home from the market with 1.5kg of Brancaster mussels for our supper :bounce: :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 7th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Where do you live, exactly? :mrgreen:

Actually I'm not sure if the 'mrgreen' smiley is supposed to represent jealousy, a low environmental footprint or Sir Philip...

What are you going to do with them?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 7th, 2019, 1:17 pm

What are you going to do with them?

OK, I've just looked at the other thread! :oops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I’ll probably add a splash of cream in there too Badgersmate. There’s only the two of us; I hope there’s enough .... :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 7th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I guess 1.5kg of mussels would be around two quarts in 'old money', which is what I would have bought for two people - when I bought mussels for two people
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2019, 6:33 pm

14C824E2-D7FE-4CF4-A16C-A6EE345DA5ED.jpeg
You’d better turn around and go home Badgersmate... definitely none left for you ...
C46E6ECF-42C2-4611-926B-6AC649E5FE78.jpeg
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

1.5kg mussels do us for 2 meals. Moules frites then a chowder next day. I can't beear ream with mussels. White wine shallots and chopped parsely for us. Just now and then a few chilli flakes. I also like them cooked, half shell removed, then topped with pistou and topped with breadcrumbs and flashed uner the grill as a starter.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 7th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I like them all manner of ways - hot, freshly cooked with crusty bread, cold with pepper, vinegar & crusty bread, cooked with black bean sauce, reheated with sag, made into a pasta sauce, Thai curry. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop