Premium Bonds

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Premium Bonds

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 12:17 pm

We've talked about them before, I know, but I would be interested to know if anyone has risked using them as a source of income with any success.

I visited a financial advisor this morning to discuss finances for retirement. Amongst other things I have what is considered (in the financial world) to be a small amount of savings currently not doing much which obviously I would like to do something but not tied up or high risk. He suggested premium bonds.

I have heard people before say that they can be worthwhile if you buy a lot. DD invested a lump from proceeds of a house sale for a while and did very well. Today's chap said that his wife has invested £50,000 in them and done very well indeed without having to do anything.

I wonder how much you have to invest before it becomes likely you will do well. I have had 2 since 1956 which have reaped nothing and £100 worth for 10 years or so which have also reaped nothing. Obviously I don't expect people to divulge their finances but do you think £1000, 10,000, 20,000 or only over £50,000 reaps almost guaranteed rewards? I do not have a huge sum to play with but think I might try it and see, I won't be losing much interest and can always sell them again. Any thoughts?
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Premium Bonds

Postby Seatallan » February 4th, 2019, 12:36 pm

We have money invested in premium bonds and we do fairly well. We don't have a win every month but over the year we have fairly consistent ones (albeit small amounts though this month we won £175 :D ). The advantage, of course, is that it is tax-free and there's always the chance you'll hit the jackpot....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 4th, 2019, 12:37 pm

£50,000 is the maximum you can invest.

I hold premium bonds somewhere around half the maximum and it's a rare month when I don't get any prizes at all, but the most I've ever won in a month is £50. Over the years I reckon my average return has been a bit below what NSandI PB says is the prize fund interest rate - 1.4% at the moment. Not a brilliant return, but not bad while interest rates have been so low. It's the gamble of a big prize, without loss of capital, that keeps the money there.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » February 4th, 2019, 1:06 pm

I have one PB left - not that I had many anyway but this one is more valuable apparently than most of the prizes i might have got. It was one of the very very first issued and was bought for me by Uncle Ernest!!. I dealer told me to hang on to it because the peice of paper itself is worth quite a lot!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm

That's interesting Rats! The two I mentioned were bought for me by my grandmother when they first came out. I must make sure that my offspring know they could be valuable!

Thank you Seatallen and Suelle. I didn't know about the high end limit but that is encouraging and I might give it a try, I doubt interest rates will be going anywhere much anytime soon and as you say, it is tax free. Wouldn't it be nice to win the jackpot!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 4th, 2019, 1:27 pm

My Mum and Dad had a little competition, mum invested £30k in premium bonds ( the limit at the time) and dad put his £30k in an ISA. Mums investment has consistently outperformed Dads. It’s now approaching the 15 year mark and it’s unusual if Mum goes two months without at least one win.

I feel they are a good bet at the moment when investment rates are so low, just keep an eye on rates and if they ever start to rise then reassess your situation.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I have definitely made up my mind and will at least give it a go! Thank you dear people :hug: :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

My sister won £100,000 on the PB's ! …. I felt very much after that my chances of winning anything had dropped to almost zero. I think she had about £20k worth at the time .. I still have £5k's worth, but perhaps I should think about increasing my stake (and chances ;) ).
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 4th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Mine too are proving a better bet than the current lack of interest rates.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I have £5 from the very first issue....they have never won anything. But I have quite a few now...maybe half the maximum, and I win a small prize or two most months. I think I am getting more than the average interest rates. I like getting that winning letter through the post, though I am in no way a gambler! It’s also good to know that I can’t lose my money, and also it’s very easy to withdraw if I needed it for anything urgent.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 4th, 2019, 4:25 pm

No experience, but recently I read about the downside of them not being transferable, if someone dies prematurely for example. No idea if it was right, but worth checking.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm

What was the downside? I can't think of one unless the person has not made a will and left the value to the rightful person, then that will probably be the least of their problems anyway.

https://www.nsandi.com/what-do-i-do-if- ... r-has-died
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm

When my Father died, we were able to leave his bonds in, for, I think it was 6, months. They won a few small prizes!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 4th, 2019, 5:24 pm

patpoyntz wrote:When my Father died, we were able to leave his bonds in, for, I think it was 6, months. They won a few small prizes!

I think it's a year. In the event of the holder's death it's no more difficult to deal with than any other bank account or form of savings - and a lot easier than some!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby WWordsworth » February 4th, 2019, 6:51 pm

J and I have about £20k each.
We both won £25 this month.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 5th, 2019, 5:40 pm

They keep reducing the odds of winning the larger prizes, I believe (is that right? ie making it less likely that you'll win a big prize?), but making it more likely that you'll win a £25 prize. I wouldn't say we've done particularly well out of ours, probably just our inertia that's keeping them there! And each time you do win £25 it's nice to get more bonds rather than take the money. I think there's a calculator on the Martin Lewis site that will analyse how "successful" your own bonds are compared with what you should be able to expect.
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Thanks to you all for putting me straight. I went through the recycling box and found the article I'd mentioned :oops: I'd confused the PB bond bit with three year senior rail card one :rolleyes: which has no rebate if unused.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop