Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby WWordsworth » February 27th, 2019, 8:43 am

Anyone for a MoonDance?
WWordsworth
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby cyprusmoira » February 27th, 2019, 9:11 am

Hello Van, you were very quick :D Congratulations WW, I believe that Van Morrison is actually an Ivan.

The laptop has been fixed, it was something simple, I think that I may have leaned on something :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 27th, 2019, 9:16 am

oooh, a birth since I was last on here....

Well my very own personal CH engineer/plumber has explained the new water heating system that Zosh is having fitted : A pressurised HW cylinder is just like the old copper ones, but on mains pressure (rather than being fed from a cold water storage tank) ….. but not generally used for houses with only one bathroom, rather for larger houses where there is more demand on HW. And a combi boiler wouldn't be used with Solar panels. The correct term for the pressurised cylinder is actually an 'unvented hot water cylinder'

I bet you all wanted to know that ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2019, 9:28 am

Ohh hello Van ... you were marvelous at that stadium gig I went to back in the 80s :kneel: 8-)

I should think WW could do with a :mug:

:lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 27th, 2019, 9:38 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Welcome Van and well done WW. Why do babies always seem to arrive in the middle of the night?

Thank you for the early morning plumbing lesson Pat.

I've been ordering myself some goodiess from Sephora, the big chain of make-up stores. I got a voucher for 25% of all purchases this week because I have a loyalty card and I am just about to run out for the perfume I use everyday. They always send loads of free samples too which I save for the GCs.

Hope everyone is still enjoying the sunshine.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 27th, 2019, 9:58 am

Ratatouille wrote:Hope everyone is still enjoying the sunshine.

What sunshine :!: We have had so much rain that the Asprokremnos Dam, the second biggest on the island is about to overflow. I bet that the nearest village, Kouklia are running a sweepstake as to when the water will tip over into the side channels.

Definitely soup for lunch, probably Leek & Potato

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 27th, 2019, 10:06 am

That's what we had yesterday Moira. Stay dry :wave:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 27th, 2019, 10:59 am

suffolk wrote:Ohh hello Van ... you were marvelous at that stadium gig I went to back in the 80s :kneel: 8-)

:D :tu:

Seen him many a time and has always been great. My absolute all time favorite was the main stage at Glastonbury, 1987. Me and my (sadly now deceased) best friend managed to get right to the very front. I will never forget him playing 'Summertime in England'. To put the icing on the cake, we discovered a few years later that someone had taken a pic of the crowd from the stage for a book about the Glastonbury festival and that we were very visible! We were right chuffed. :)

Welcome Van!!! :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 27th, 2019, 11:00 am

Good morning everyone,
Welcome Van :)
There was a heavy frost first thing but it's nice and sunny now. Looks as though today could be the last of the sunshine for a bit if the forecast is correct.
My balance is still playing silly beggars so apart from popping the makings of a corned beef stew in the slow cooker I plan to get myself settled in my chair in the consevatory and enjoy the good weather.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 27th, 2019, 11:10 am

Morning all! Congratulations on your busy morning WW :lol:.

Couldn't get to sleep last night so woke up late. Not what I'd planned :rolleyes: . Had a lovely lunch out yesterday, Pizza Express have revamped their menu to reflect the 21st century and veganism. I know there was a big thing about 'veganuary' but before Christmas provincial veganism was still quite a talking point. By January all the chain restaurants, supermarkets etc had embraced it commercially in a big way. Considering how long it takes to develop and launch new products, packaging, menus etc it would be interesting to know at what point all these retailers decided it was going to be 'a thing'. There was probably masses of discussion in the media early on but I seem to have missed it.

I hope you are set up to avoid summer drought Moira ;).

Sorry, I read back on the previous Chatterbox and have forgotten what had been discussed already. :hug: if needed.

Despite the late hour, today is earmarked to turn out and spring clean the kitchen and to get some washing dry on the line. My coffee cup is empty which suggests it's time to make a start.

Edited to say isn't it funny the things that make one happy. I parked my car outside the house of a very elderly gentleman who I know by sight a couple of streets away the other day and thought I hadn't seen him for a very long time. I suspected that maybe he was no longer with us and felt a bit sad. I have just seem him walk past the house in the sunshine aided by a young family member ..I do love the nice things that happen when the sun comes out!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 27th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Welcome Van! The sun has got it's hat on here just for you! :grin:

I have somehow managed a shower. It was bliss - once it was over! There are lots of things I love about having a wet room, but one thing I can never seem to stop myself doing is showering then mopping the whole room once done and I didn't have the energy today so it feels a bit half a job Harry.

I had some good news today. A council tax dispute (not for here) that I have fighting for over two years, including countless reminders, no responses to my queries, a threat to take me to court just before Christmas and just after I started my job, which has gone through the whole council complaint process (initial stage one, stage two etc) now sitting with the Local Government Ombudsman for about five weeks, have just confirmed that my appeal has gone to the next level with their assessors. Doesn't say that I will win of course but I believe that I have such a strong case on this that I will.

I am going to nip to my GP with my mum now. A load of laundry is just about to finish and I will hang it out later. It will be nice to get some current bun on my bonce.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Afternoon All

Welcome Van.... and welcome to our first great-grandchild Felicity Sophia born by C section last night, 8lbs12oz (ouch). :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Oh congratulations Chinch!! :bounce: :bounce: :cocktail: :cocktail:. I hope that all is going well. What nice names.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Ooooh I do love a Wildie Baby arrival! Fantastic news Chinch. Hope Mum and Baby both doing well. :luv:

Breaking news.... we've accepted offer on our house.... very sweet young couple who are first time buyers. A bit younger than we were when we bought current house but not by much I would say. fingers crossed things continue to go more smoothly this time. Now we need to find somewhere to move to.... :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 27th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Fantastic news Sea, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Where are you going to look?

Chinch, congratulations to all concerned, such pretty names.

Sun is shining here, but forecast is for a return to cooler weather. Going to wash my car inside and out. That should send the rain gods over!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 27th, 2019, 1:47 pm

What a day for Wildie good news. :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: all round.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 27th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Busybee wrote:Fantastic news Sea, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Where are you going to look?

Thanks BB :luv:

We're currently compiling a 'long list' of potential houses we'd like to look at. We have a bunch in the north (Forest of Bowland/Lancaster/Carnforth, Penrith, Cockermouth) and a few comparitively local ones on the Oxfordshire/Warwickshire border (the point where things start to become more affordable). We're going to look at the local ones first. Very exciting! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Seatallen ... the house next door to us is going on
the market very soon :D :bounce: :wave: ;) :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Congratulations Chinch and Seatallen :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:

Another beautifully sunny day here, been for a walk, had new passport photos taken, bought a cucumber and bumped into a chum in the greengrocers

Have also done a few chores, and I am now on the pc to sort out my email and a few bookings

Have a good afternoone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 27th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Wow, every time I look there is more happy news here! So pleased to read yours Seatallen. I wonder if, like Rats was saying yesterday, spring flowers in the garden and a bit of sun did the trick!

I've got light curtains and things blowing on the line and am rather impressed that my kitchen cupboards are cleaner, tidier and with fewer very out of date foods than I'd expected! I am about to tackle two drawers which have the capacity of the Tardis for odd bits ... should be interesting!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 27th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Congratulations on the Great Grandchild, Chich.
The ski club web cam has been repaired, lovely pictures of snow covered pines, no one has stomped across the snow yet.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Lovely lovely news Chinch :luv: congratulations to the whole family :cocktail: :cocktail:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 27th, 2019, 4:18 pm

So, Van the Man, as he is known in this house. We saw him in Santa Cruz school hall about 30 odd years ago. If he is really an Ivan, then he is really up to date.
I-Van is that like an iPhone ????? I'll get my coat.....

My front door has gone and there is a big hole where the window in the porch used to be.... I have a new cylinder and rumour has it that I will have hot water at 5pm !

I went to town to see if Boots really did have a 90% discount sale, they did not but i did manage to collect some RTC goods and some nice stuff from Maison du Charitie..... Mr. Z. has a new linen striped short sleeved shirt, I have 3 new tops. Morrisons had 600gr. bags of dry roasted P nuts reduced from £2 a bag to 10p!!! I got 3. I might make some P nut butter or maybe a satay sauce. They also had a pack of spiral chips and southern fried chicken for £1 so that was (large) lunch sorted. Will not need much for supper...

Nuther smashing day weather-wise.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » February 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Fantastic news to all :hug:

New project for Sunday. Bob has been amazing looking after me. We have had quite a number of ready meals / takeaways / cheap meals out. Like a donut I have promised him a Sunday lunch. :oops:

I can stand for reasonable lengths of time, and I can use my left hand reasonably well but any exertion has a knock on effect to my shoulder. I had to sit at the computer for about an hour and a half this morning and have really compromised my shoulder. The logic being that it was largely only moving my left hand. I didn’t take into account leaning towards the keyboard, so have to accept I am more limited than I thought. Even having the use of my fingers has a knock on to the shoulders as I found out trying to open medicine bottles the other day.

Even lifting using my good arm I have found this puts a strain on the bad one. :?

Any thoughts on a simple but tasty Sunday meal I could cook to show my appreciation??? Also bearing in mind I am still only using either a fork or spoon myself?

On a positive note, I haven’t dribbled my food down my sling yet. :lol:
Edited to add Bob isn’t keen on cured meat / cheese platter type things. :rolleyes:
Last edited by jrc on February 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Zosherooney wrote:So, Van the Man, as he is known in this house. We saw him in Santa Cruz school hall about 30 odd years ago. If he is really an Ivan, then he is really up to date. I-Van is that like an iPhone ????? I'll get my coat.....

According to Wiki
Birth name: George Ivan Morrison
Also known as: Van the Man, The Belfast Cowboy, The Belfast Lion

Ivan does seem like an unusual choice in Belfast in 1945 but perhaps his parents met E Europeans during the war

Getting chilly as the sun goes down now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I knew several Ivan’s back in the day ... most would’ve been a bit older than me so born shortly after WE2 ... if if hadn’t been for the sacrifices Russians made the outcome of the war would’ve been very different ... we owed them a huge amount and many British soldiers knew that.
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 27th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Sea :hi5: Chinch :hi5:

What a lovely day all round for Wildies really, apart from my med cert was still not ready when we got there to collect - again. It just meant a wait for a repeat to be printed. I hope that the new GP Hub which will take the pressure off the staff of three surgeries in town opening in about 18 months.

Actually something made me chuckle when my mum turned up earlier than planned. She rang me from downstairs. Told her before we left I needed to visit the Jug and Bottle for a quickie. :lol: No problem, she was happy to soak up the sun in her car. It was just about to happen in the wet room (not easy for us girlies is it?) when my phone rang in the kitchen. Better answer in case it was my GP. Stopped myself short, ran awkwardly to the kitchen to find it's my mum. ' How long you going be?' How long is a piece of string?' :lol: To which she replies 'Can't you bring it with you?' 'What, a two litre bottle, a one litre jug and a funnel? No! Just let me get on with it and I'll be down...' :lol: Afterwards we chuckled for a bit but still she asked me why I couldn't have just brought the sample bottle out with me.....:rolleyes: :lol:

I am going to make a simple broth with veggies for later on. More fluids and fuss free. Just what's needed! :tu:

Oh by the way, my sunglasses made an appearance today for the first time. :bounce:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 27th, 2019, 5:41 pm

suffolk wrote:Seatallen ... the house next door to us is going on
the market very soon :D :bounce: :wave: ;) :lol:

That would be splendid wouldn't it? :D

Thanks all- I think you could be onto something Rats. All my early spring bulbs popped their little heads up just at the right time (as with your neighbour too by the sound of it). We were so lucky with the weather (unlike last year, when going on the market coincided with the various Easterly Beasts).

jrc- how about something like a steak casserole? You could use cubed steak and ready-prepared veg. :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 27th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Sea Chinch - Congrats all-round I am really a Zofia so not so far away.... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » February 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Sea, thank you. That was the line I was thinking of. Bob would have to do the lifting etc plus help with the mash. I just want to recognise how exceptionally kind he has been.

I agent any decent stock in the freezers though? :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 27th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I am afraid I am totally ignorant of all this talk of Van. Have I had a too sheltered life?? The only Van i could think of is Van Helsing in Dracula.

I'm thinking braised steak jrc or pot roast brisket if you have Bob to lift stuff in and out. You could always get some Auntie Bessies YPs.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 27th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Hi Van, congratulations WW ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 27th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Van Morrison, Rats.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » February 28th, 2019, 1:36 am

WWordsworth wrote:Anyone for a MoonDance?

any time - one of my 'desert island' songs.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 28th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, nothing special planned for today except some routine shopping. According to the local forecasts it is going to be cold today.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby jrc » February 28th, 2019, 6:51 am

Hello :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 28th, 2019, 7:08 am

Today we are going on a Great Bustard Hunt (with bins and cameras) ! Hicks +2 are due to arrive with us at midday for soup, sarnie and cake (amidst trades and all associated gubbins) then at 2pm we are off to a secret place to see if we can spot them.

Lots to do beforehand, must crack on... Builder has asked me to design what I want in the garden with measurements.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 28th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning wild ones. No frost today, but overcast with rain predicted for later :( . But it is apparently the last day of winter ;) Today is shopping day, so that is my task for the day :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2019, 8:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Another bright sunny morning and this time no frost :D
I had quite a wakeful night, my arm/shoulder is still painful but I didn’t want to take Solpadeine as the ‘side effects’ were beginning to take effect :rolleyes: Hope other folk with aches and injuries were able to get a reasonable night.
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » February 28th, 2019, 8:48 am

Hello :hug:
I have managed to cook some carrots and green beans. I will peel some spuds for mash but Bob will have to help with that. We also have the meat part of a Tesco meal deal so chicken in Cabernet Sauvignon sauce to go with it. It will be the first time I have ‘contributed ‘ to cooking in ten days. :oops:

Physio later. :?

Just had an email. One of our colleagues passed away yesterday. Mid sixties. Leaving six children aged eleven upwards. Lovely guy. :cry:
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 28th, 2019, 8:52 am

Good morning all,

Ouch suffs! I hope that eases off soon :hug:

A most peaceful sleep here albeit disturbed a few times by a trip to the Jug and Bottle. That's it now and I cannot wait to 'go' in the toilet today. How much you take that for granted. So I'll drop that off later, have the blood test to go with it. I'll settle my mum down in the hospital cafe / restaurant first as the trek to do those things is hard enough for me in such a big hospital. I want to collect the latest Suguru puzzle book up from my PO, oh and also collect more meds from Boots. A busy day so a restful evening will be needed!

A foggy day so I hope my mum doesn't struggle through traffic.

Happy day to you all.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 28th, 2019, 9:24 am

I think Van is the harbinger of spring and good news - congrats to Chinch and Sea.

My oven engineer is scheduled between 12.18 and 3.18. Very precise times! So I decided to give art group a miss, just in case he's a bit early. I hope he can resolve this problem. So glad I have 3 videos of its 'performance'.
Or she..... even.

I'm absurdly excited about siting the van on Saturday. The man who is storing it for us, washes it, sites and levels it. What luxury! The dogs are booked into kennels and I have made a chicken tagine to have on Saturday, though there is some question of whether we'll stay or not.

Dewi Sant tomorrow. I can't believe they were playing cricket in whites yesterday (it's half term here). Back to being dull today.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 28th, 2019, 9:52 am

Morning all! :wave:. I had no idea that was the date, Sloe! Feb seems to have dashed by in a flurry of snow and unwellness :rolleyes:.

As forecast, the sun has gone today and rain and drizzle are about to start. I was going to go out and about on a field trip recce but think I will stay in and tackle the next room. I am tidying out drawers and cupboards in each as well as cleaning but think I can get through two rooms today. That will just leave the bedrooms which will take a lifetime each :oops:.

Hope the day goes well for all, especially for those dealing with pain. I hope those birds come out in the rain for Zosh and hicky and good luck with the oven, Sloe.

Ah, the rain's arrived :evil: . Toodleoo :mug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 28th, 2019, 10:12 am

More snow on the mountains overnight. Cold here, a very sharp wind, Deb has decided that it is too cold to garden so has gone to visit the local garden centres instead :rolleyes:
I mentioned yesterday that the Asprokremnos is almost full, a local fiesta is developing, the loukamades and crepe vans are already there, the plastic toy stalls are in situ, you have bring your barbecue trough for souvla. People will stay there until the water tips over into the spillway, even if it is the early hours of the morning, I suspect that the whole thing will last until the weekend.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 28th, 2019, 10:49 am

Good morning everyone
Congratulations to Chinch & Sea :hi5: :hi5: :cocktail: :cocktail: and :hug: :hug: to those with aches and pains :hug:
We had a heavy mist yesterday evening which as lingered overnight so it's a cold and gloomy morning here. Looks as though the day time temperatures are back to single figures which is much more the norm for this time of year.
"Pay day" for me today so I've bills to pay and accounts to up date, I also need sort out my Dad's gas/electric as his current tariff ends soon.
I made a big pan of corned beef stew yesterday, I had some last night and it was :drool:, I'll have some more for lunch or dinner today and then freeze what's left.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 28th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

It was 20.4 C at noon today and not a breath of wind. However we are promised a Mistral tomorrow. I wore my sandals this morning because it was warmer first thing. How I hate wearing shoes and what a relief to free my poor feet

Did a fairly quick supermarket shop this morning, have had lunch and after a short rest I'll tackle the main for tomorrows big meal. I made shortbread and appero gougeres yesterday evening while the oven was on. If it all truns out all I need to do tomorrow is make the cranachan, the leek puddings and some salad dressing.

WWordsworth wrote:Van Morrison, Rats.
I had to look him up WW :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Blanket chest sorted ... a pile of stuff for the charity shop plus a few things that were ‘lost’. My stash of knitting wool ‘sort of’ organised for future hats, scarves and mittens etc, and two pairs of jeans that had been hidden cos they were too small are now the perfect fit :D

But it’s now overcast and chilly ... heating has gone back on brrrr!
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Have a listen to Moondance, Rats.
Like Scully said, definitely a desert island disc.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 28th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I am afraid I am totally ignorant of all this talk of Van. Have I had a too sheltered life??

You must google him Rats …. you might find that you know more of him than you realise … (Brown Eyed Girl, as well as Moondance ) ;) :bounce: 8-)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 28th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Right I have done that and asked Mr R to listen too. We both have vague recollections of Brown Eyed Girl but Moondance means nothing to either of us. As I say, we must have lead sheltered lives.
Ratatouille
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop