Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby Ratatouille » March 5th, 2019, 9:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun is out again and the birds woke me at 6.00am.

Glad the shoulder is healing jrc but as Suffs says don't overdo it. Sounds as if you should have a grabber stick. Brilliant things. You could even use a roll-on deodorant using one.

It must have been a night for foodie type dreams. I dreamt about trying to find my truffle shaver to add slicess to something I was making which was a bit strange because I had been making a Pavlova. Maybe I;ve invented a new dish :chef:

How annoying Moira. You don't get that problem with coffee capsules :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 5th, 2019, 9:21 am

The asparagus season has started, so asparagus and poached eggs for supper. It was going to be Moussaka as I have to make one for the freezer, the large one being made in readiness for our visitors at the end of the month will be frozen as planned, we will have the small one for supper tomorrow instead.

Decent weather at last, we should have sun all day, I can dry my washing outside :D

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 5th, 2019, 10:24 am

It’s so frustrating isn’t it? You have my sympathy.

I’ve got calcific tendinitis in my left shoulder and arm (had it on my right side a couple of years ago ... all linked to thyroid probs). Sleeping is tricky, doing those lateral movements you’ve spoken of are incredibly painful and putting on a bra or putting my left arm into a sleeve are :shock: :cry: Very annoying, but at least it’s my left arm this time and it will get better ... but it may recur of course :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 5th, 2019, 10:42 am

Good morning everyone
:hug: :hug: to jrc & suffs you have my sympathies, I dislocated my shoulder many years ago and from time to time it gives me a bit of bother, so painful and restricting in so many ways.
Yikes Moira how annoying you'll be finding granules for months.....
Cold, wet and miserable here this morning, I think the wheelie bin will be as far as I'm straying!
Easy soup being made for lunch using a bag of veg & butterbean stew from the freezer as the base. Should make enough for a couple of lunches
I'm undecided if I can be bothered to make pancakes, if not the ham & veg in mushroom sauce from the freezer I was planning to stuff them with will be used with pasta instead.
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » March 5th, 2019, 10:50 am

Suffs :hug: in the past I have had severe thyroid problems. Is it worth asking for further assessment? Bearing in mind I have had a stroke plus heart condition and a Vitamin B12 deficiency I would value your thoughts.
Don’t tell anyone but I haven’t worn a bra in the last fortnight. :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 5th, 2019, 11:01 am

TeresaFoodie wrote: am watching Rick Stein in Palermo. Me and a friend are hoping to go to Sicily this year or next. Have any of you been? The food absolutely speaks for itself. Is it a good destination for two single ladies who both want something quite serene, cultural, slow paced but also picturesque?

StokeySue wrote:My friend and I went to Sicily four years ago, loved it. The amount of food as well as the quality was amazing

I was thinking the same thing …. I would have to find a friend who wants to do the same thing though …. ;) :lol: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 5th, 2019, 11:31 am

Grasshopper wrote:Wherever did you dig that up from? Do tell!

Yes, Fanny was indeed a bigamist and her love life was a wee bit chaotic to say the least! :)

http://jaquo.com/fabulous-fanny-cradock-love-life/
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 5th, 2019, 11:45 am

Thank you for finding that Seatallen, I knew that I heard that somewhere, also that she and Johnnie were not married for many years either. Michael Bond, the author of Paddington Bear was a BBC cameraman before he took to writing full time, he said that she had a terrible temper and an extensive vocabulary.
Anyone remember Fanny's blue dyed hard boiled eggs with an anchovy on top?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 5th, 2019, 11:50 am

I have caught up! Still no internet in our corner of Anglesey! We survived a very wet and windy weekend, but as we had moved from one pitch at the bottom of the field to one at the top, we had to move the 'bunker' and its contents. Luckily, we had several willing helpers, otherwise it would have taken us hours.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby jrc » March 5th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Not a good afternoon. Sat in Bobs bedroom whilst aerial man here. Struggling today now. :(
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 5th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Hello all!

Ooh all this talk of shoulders! :scared: Physio is so important to stop it seizing up jrc! The worst thing with mine is, as suffs says, putting on a bra or anything with sleeves. The first time I tried to put a swimming costume on......took me about half an hour in a sweaty cubicle. :lol:

Got into work this morning and my pride and joy spreadsheet had gone! Well, it was there, but most of the data was lost. I had to get IT to restore it back to 5pm last night. I could have kissed whoever it was that remotely fixed it from our head office. :hug: A lovely hummus and cucumber wholemeal sandwich now for lunch and I thought I would also indulge in the asparagus season too - a Sainsbury's asparagus cuppa soup. :lol: Not quite as nice as I remember them to be. Oh well. At least the sandwich has been tasty.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 5th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Jrc do you get your thyroxine levels checked annually?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Tezza, asparagus is my favourite Cuppa Soup. I am not usually fussy about the brand (I only have it ocassionally) but Batchelors asparagus is much nicer than Sainsburys IMO.

Glad you're in one piece Sloe!

I have just discovered that it's Shrove Tuesday. I trust you've all been participating in pancake races today? ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 5th, 2019, 3:35 pm

It must be national shoulder week, have been hearing of frozen shoulders elsewhere

Yes, if you have had thyroid problems in the past I would expect either regular monitoring or a clear explanation of why it is now unnecessary for you

Have braved the great outdoors, quite pleasant but the wind is getting up a bit. My cold seems to have almost gone, almost record rapidity for me.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 5th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I have been struggling with our patio door (only means of access ATM) and have 'pulled' something, feels like my lung has moved..... :scared: sleeping last night was uncomfortable.

Nuther wall removed today which will give us access from new to old. New loo arrived today with a dinky ickle sink on top of a reduced cistern. New tap arrived yesterday and very pleased we are with it.

Went and visited the lady at my 'other' house today as I missed her Birthday last Friday.

We have taken advantage of a sale at Travis Perkins and ordered a shedload of block paving and more Indian sandstone for extending our patio to incorporate our rainbow sandstone sphere water feature.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Good work Zosh. :tu:

Here comes storm second wind this end. Absolutely howling. I am hoping it will lull me into a delightful sleep. I feel quite protected so a good bit of shut eye should ensue. The sound of pure nature is so easy to fall asleep to. Here's hoping, and happy sleeps one and all :hug: zzz
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 6th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, for anyone interested the Asprokremnos dam started to overflow on Monday evening, the local school children have been taken to see it.
The asparagus was delicious, I must keep watch for more.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 6th, 2019, 7:20 am

I am off to Ladies brekkie today. Studwork and floor boarding and levelling happening this morning. We now have outside brickwork ledges on most of the new downstairs windows. Erik the Polak has been and looked at the outside grafting that needs to be done and will be returning at the w/e. He is my new 'brother' and will be 'helping' us out with patio and associated work!
He is nothing to do with the builder.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » March 6th, 2019, 7:40 am

Morning all :hug:

My thyroid has not been checked for about 8 - 9 years. :shock:

Being very decadent sitting here without my sling. :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 6th, 2019, 7:50 am

Good morning wild ones. :wave: JRC. It's raining, has been all night :rolleyes: Tomorrow is new carpet day, :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 8:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Jrc I’m puzzled ... you say you’ve had thyroid problems in the past ... AFAIK most thyroid conditions tend to be long term needing lifelong treatment. I’ve been taking 150 microgrms of thyroxine daily for getting on for 20 years and I have my levels checked at least annually and I am regularly monitored for the conditions which those with a hypothyroid condition are susceptible.
I’m not a medic, but I can’t help thinking that your levels should be checked.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » March 6th, 2019, 8:27 am

Hi, it was years ago. I had the tests done. I had to go down for a bp check and I asked the nurse to give me the results. She looked on the screen and said they were fine.

About six months later I had to see the GP about something different. He insisted on a repeat test and gave me the results a week later himself.

He said the original result said the thyroid was right out but it had returned to normal levels without the need for treatment.

I queried why I was told the first result was ok when clearly it wasn’t. He couldn’t answer that but in hindsight I was actually in litigation with the nurse as she owed me quite a lot of money. I had sold her something and she had offered to pay in instalments. She failed to keep up the payments so I had to sue her. I thought being a responsible person she would honour the agreement and be professional at work. :?
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 8:54 am

Jrc my first tests varied ... I was told that could’ve been due to ‘time of the month’ ... also that the condition could change and worsen with the menopause etc etc etc. my symptoms increased and my GP left and my new one retested and I was by then quite poorly indeed due to my very low levels. I suggest you have a look here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/underacti ... /symptoms/
and ask to be retested.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 6th, 2019, 9:00 am

J has been taking thyroxin for 25 years or more.
He has a blood test every year to check the dose remains correct.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby jrc » March 6th, 2019, 9:07 am

Hi Suffs :hug:

I have an appointment with a new GP tomorrow afternoon. The one I was allocated when we moved has retired. I haven’t seen this one yet but have been told she is very thorough. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The wind changed round completely overnight which usualy means rain. We really could do with some as it is ridiculous to have to water the garden every day.

Hope you enjoy your breakfast Zosh. I was meant to go to the annual ladies lunch last week but thankfully we had already invited our tame chefs so didn't have to go. I'm sure we had much more fun. I'm not a great one for single sex events.

jcr let's ope your new GP is as thorough as she is reported to be. One so often hears of a change of GP pratices mens loss of contiuity. I think our system of always having your own records is good in that respect. When we moved here our GP was horrified that we hadn't been given them and, what's more refused to send them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 9:45 am

jrc wrote:Hi Suffs :hug:

I have an appointment with a new GP tomorrow afternoon. The one I was allocated when we moved has retired. I haven’t seen this one yet but have been told she is very thorough. :D

Brilliant! There are loads of little things that go wrong that on their own may signify nothing but added all together could mean you have a problem.

I had constant itching of my hands and feet for ages ... thought it could be due to cat fleas in the carpets of the student digs where I lived ... but when I moved the itching continued for several years so that I became used to it ... then when my thyroid medication kicked in the itching stopped ... then I read up and found it's a symptom of being hypothyroid ... along with many other symptoms ... tricky pregnancies, rough skin, heavy periods, flaky nails, lacking in self confidence, low body temperature ... there are loads and loads of them apart from the more well-known ones. I'd had lots of them all my adult life ... it seems that my thyroid levels have always been slightly under .... and then, when I hit my 40s they crashed ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 6th, 2019, 11:22 am

Good morning

When you said you had thyroid problems jrc, I assumed you meant something that had been diagnosed and treated. Presumably GP thought the first lab test was just one of those random tests that are out of range for no good reason - with some tests that can be as many as 1 in 20 results. As the second test was in the normal range and he didn’t consider you had obvious signs or symptoms of thyroid disease he might see no reason to continue investigation and nothing to treat

A single lab test result is very much not the same as having a disease or problem, I spent years generating and then reviewing lab test results though I was never much involved with thyroid testing, and I’ve seen a lot of odd one off results

Worth mentioning when you review your medical history with your new doctor but probably not top of the agenda

Overcast here with a good chance of showers. Will be out later so planning my day, have a good one everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 6th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Another cold, wet and misrrable day here and to get much more wintery over the next few days.
No pancakes made yesterday a combination of apathy and getting waylaid on the phone ruled. My son is home this weekend and might "require" some to be made then as he loves them :D .
A "numbers" day for me today trying to unpick some of my Dad's finances and sort out pension changes for the out of school care group. My Dad has never been interested in money management as my Mum did that and he got "pocket money" he was quite happy. Consequently he has been paying over the odds for many things and reached that point in his like that while he still very capable needs a hand especially with so much being done online these days. He definitely prefers cash or face to face transactions though does use a debit card but definitely one of those that would struggle if we do becomes "cashless" society as indicated in the news today.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 6th, 2019, 1:40 pm

The postie arrived this morning with a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody which wasn't supposed to be released until March 11th. So thats Saturday nights entertainment sorted.

It is blowing up a hooley and we are on orange alert for high winds this afternoon. Mr R is on his way to chess club so I'll batten down the hatches and hope the electricity doesn't go off.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Wow! At about 3:15pm this afternoon and told Anglian Water that the cover to our water meter was badly cracked and needed replacing. She asked if it was a hazard to anyone? I said that it wasn’t a danger to life or anything but as it’s on the edge of our lawn right by the pavement and there’s an infant school at the top of the rise, I suppose a grandparent or small child might step on it and rick their ankle. She said she’d mark it as an. Emergency ... there’s a chap out there now fixing it! :shock: :tu:
Last edited by suffolk on March 6th, 2019, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Wow again! He’s finished ... fitted a new lid and cleaned out the chamber ... OH has completed a Customer Satisfaction form and he’s gone ... talk about prompt service. I suppose once they know that there’s a hazard they become liable for any injury ... but even so ... that’s quick! :shock: :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 6th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:Wherever did you dig that up from? Do tell!

Yes, Fanny was indeed a bigamist and her love life was a wee bit chaotic to say the least! :)

http://jaquo.com/fabulous-fanny-cradock-love-life/

Omg bit of a trouser-chaser, wasn't she! :o

:o
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 6th, 2019, 8:12 pm

It's Dolly-pop's b-day today!

She's 10! She got 1'st dibs in a bowl of tuna.

:luv:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Night night all ... sweet dreams Zzzzzz
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2019, 6:03 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Early to bed and early to rise .... well, not ‘risen’ exactly ... propped up on pillows and gazing meaningfully at the sleeping coffee slave ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 7th, 2019, 6:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I hope that your coffee is being made for you, Suffs. Nothing much planned for today except a trip to buy groceries, we have run out of paper towels :o

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 7th, 2019, 7:35 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining again. :( New carpet day :bounce: :bounce: we just have to find somewhere to put two sofas, a 6ft sideboard and two heavy coffee tables whilst they fit the carpet. The garage is packed to the gunnels with all of the other furniture, as is the hall and spare room upstairs, not that we could get what is left to move upstairs. :rolleyes: But, by lunchtime we will be bringing it ALL back in :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » March 7th, 2019, 7:46 am

Hello. :hug: On my first :mug: I have a GP appointment later to determine if she will put me on the exercise referral scheme. Obviously not able to take part yet but they want me to do all the assessments and induction to make sure I am ready as soon as. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2019, 7:58 am

Ice :idea: you need a removals pantechnicon parked outside for a few hours ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 7th, 2019, 9:12 am

Morning all! It is very wet on the ground but the sun is shining and I'm hopeful it's going to be fine.

Busy few days at work but now back to the spring cleaning - tomorrow. Today I've a hair appointment and a few other things that need doing and I must have a decent walk. Last night at a meeting of the women's social group I belong to, we got onto the subject (which had been on Radio 2 when I was driving home) of embarrassing / silly things that had happened to us. I haven't laughed so much for a long time.

Icey ... the big day! Excited for you :bounce: :bounce:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 7th, 2019, 9:40 am

Good morning
I’ll finish waking in a minute

Thinking about a trip to Amsterdam we are planning
Need to find accommodation for 10
I’m beginning to think a big budget hotel would be best and let people book their own rooms as we will be flying separately

Will go for a walk soon before it starts to pour

Good luck with various appointments jrc and iced

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 7th, 2019, 11:46 am

Good morning everyone,
Decidedly cold here today and we've had some sleet & hail showers.
I'm waiting for a parcel to be delivered and as my door bell is unreliable trying to make sure I don't miss it as it part of my son's birthday pressie!
I have a bit of a tidy but don't want to start hoovering as I doubt I'd hear the door over it. Might just have a sweep through with a broom instead. ;)
Last of the soup I made earlier in the week for lunch and either corned beef stew from the freezer or sausages this evening.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 7th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Hi all!

I hope the carpet fitting is going well ice! I will have the same problem re furniture if and when I get round to getting mine down. Eek!

jrc - good luck with the exercise referral. So important to keep that joint moving. I joined a gym under a similar scheme a year ago then the council moved me to a different town and the referral couldn't follow me. Last week in hospital the rheumatology consultant referred me for exercise and last night I did the telephone enrolment to a gym of my choice for exercise (or so I thought) back in the area I just came from! Left arm, right arm? When I told him where I live now he said I probably wasn't eligible. Anyway, I thought things were a bit odd when I was being fired questions such as 'in the last week how many times have you eaten.....' followed by 'fried food, crisps, chocolate...' and 'do you understand the importance of.....' salt in the diet, fats, sugar.....'how often do you cook from scratch? how often do you have take aways?' how many fruits and vegetables do you include in your diet?' I queried this. It turns out he was enrolling me for a weight loss programme where I would commit to one day a week in a classroom environment with a weigh in with like minded people who struggle to eat healthily. I stopped him in his tracks. No thanks. I'll keep up the walking. :rolleyes:

It was freezing cold this morning, it's warmed up now, the sun has been shining all day. Busy, busy, busy, roll on 5pm!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 7th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

It absolutely poured last night off and on throughout, It was very much needed. However by the time we opened the shutters the sun was shining again so despite the dire warnings from Meteo France we have had another warm sunny day. It was 17C at noon.

Lovely Sonia is coming tomorrow but we went into town as usual. Leclerc is just too hectic on a Friday. The almond blossom is so pretty at the moment and there is one house on our route with a beautiful magnolia in the garden. It too is looking fabulous. There are several weeping willows growing along the spring lines and in the space of just a few days they are all that lovely bright fresh green and the pyramid orchids are about to bloom in the orchard. Lovely time of year.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 7th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I’ve been for my walk
It’s very windy but mainly sunny here. I went on a walk that took me to the big (Clissold) park, and intended to spend a while there strolling around but the wind blew up some big dark clouds so I came back, by the time I got to the far gate of the cemetery park about 10 minutes later it was sunglasses on again, so I wondered about in there listening to the wrens and blackbirds

Got home to find a delivery of recycling sacks, ordered online yesterday evening :o. :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Ratatouille wrote: pyramid orchids are about to bloom in the orchard.

The orchids are coming out here too, My Bro and SIL will be able to see them when they come out at the end of the month. Had an e mail from my SIL, because of the timing of their visit, the UK may have left the EU by then, my brother is hiring a car so needs to get an International Driving Licence.
Mentioning my SIL, Deb happened to mention something about Globe Artichokes, it seems that they are one of SIL's favourite vegetables. That helps the catering as Deb can make her Chicken, Artichoke and Parmesan dish.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 7th, 2019, 7:44 pm

I went for an interview today.
6 of us for 3 positions.
I don't know if I will be offered one of them but I will not accept.
It's only 24 miles away, 23 of which are on the M1 but today's trip tells me to expect to spend about 2.5 hours travelling each day.
The role does not pay enough to compensate for that.

In addition they made me make a bl%%dy paper tower.

And another thing... The boss man was so hyperactive I would deck him within a week.

Definitely not for me :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 7th, 2019, 8:00 pm

A paper tower.

That’s not one I’ve come across
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 7th, 2019, 8:10 pm

I thought HR departments had dispensed with that "team building" activity 20 years ago.
WWordsworth
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop