Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby Seatallan » May 7th, 2019, 10:43 am

Morning Wildies :wave:

Had a lovely day yesterday- went to Wisley (craft fair was on) with dear friend and her husband-to-be and afterwards we went into London and saw Imelda May at the Palladium. Very splendid time! :D Mr S enjoyed doing his own thing at home.

I'm with Suffs re the latest royal baby though will be secretly interested to see how badly his maternal relatives can behave... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 7th, 2019, 11:28 am

Zosherooney wrote:my flamed heart splash back
sounds painful :D
Ironing done, there will be more tomorrow, that's what happens when you wear a lot of cotton.

Chicken salad for supper, I bought a cooked chicken from the Aphrodite Roastery, Michele's chickens are always good, sometimes I get a mixed salad too but they were not made yet but I am making potato salad

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 11:47 am

What a nice day Seatallen!

Zosh, I thought the splashback was in situ when you posted a pic recently. It will certainly make a difference.

Has anyone been watching The Street - a Grand Designs programme where individuals are creating a street of self builds? I am finding it quite fascinating especially as they seem to be allowed to flount many building regulations. DD used to work for that local authority and still has building inspector pals. I must find out more.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Seatallan wrote:Had a lovely day yesterday- went to Wisley (craft fair was on

Oooh, if I had known, I would have popped in .. was just passing J10 on M25 at 11 am … on my way home from visiting a friend in Folkestone ! ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2019, 12:42 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Has anyone been watching The Street - a Grand Designs programme where individuals are creating a street of self builds? I am finding it quite fascinating especially as they seem to be allowed to flount many building regulations. DD used to work for that local authority and still has building inspector pals. I must find out more.

Yes and thoroughly enjoying it … Some lovely projects :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 7th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Good evening everyone,
Another day spent mainly at my Dad's but thankfully the furniture folk came, though there were a couple of things they didn't want . It's been surprising how hard it has been to actually give (very good quality) things away. I can see the difficulty if it was tat or badly worn/damaged!
Despite a forecast for a rainy day there's only been a couple of showers and it's definitely slightly milder though getting chilly now. I managed to get four wall baskets planted up. These ones are sheltered on the deck so will be fine though it doesn't look as though there's anymore frosty weather due. Just another 12 wall baskets and a couple of hanging flower pouches to go. Of all the gardening tasks I struggle with these ones as I need to stand to do them but I do love how they look when the flowers bloom so worth the effort. I just need to work on them in smallish bursts. Ground pots are much easier- just as well as I have rather a lot of those. :lol:
I finished the sourdough as toast for breakfast so starting another one tonight (well mixing up the starter) which will get baked on Thursday.
"Use it up" pasta tonight to finish off lurking asparagus & green beans, I've home made pesto in the freezer so will add some of that, a blob of cream cheese and some frozen spinach and hopefully it will be a tasty meal.
liketocook
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 7th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Is it suitable to put on the pavement? That used to be common round here and is experiencing a revival. I have 'given away'' several surplus things and acquired one or two as well.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 7th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I put an old bureau on Freecycle, I specified it had to be collected and it went the following day.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 8th, 2019, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, there is an official "heavy items" collection on the first Tuesday in the month, in practise the first week but if you put things outside someone will usually pick it up. Deb put out an old wheelbarrow, it took four days but it went in the back of some ones pick up truck. The real problem is garden waste, especially the more solid stuff like tree trimmings.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2019, 6:58 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

OH has already gone to work and isn’t expected back until between 6 and 7 tonight. He has one day off tomorrow then it all starts again. This is not the part time hours he signed up for ... hope they get their staffing sorted out soon ... he thinks that another part time worker will leave soon ... he is an actor and has a job coming up. Hey ho ...

I shall go to tennis this morning ... not sure what I’ll do this afternoon ... it may involve knitting, reading and/or faffing around in the studio ... supper will be marinated pork and vegetable kebabs so not a lot to do there ... I may well pop to Wrose and get OH a couple of beers :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 8th, 2019, 7:09 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: Looks like it's set in for the day. I hope it passes before tomorrow, my new sofas are being delivered in the morning :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2019, 8:34 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's raining here too. Of course it is it's a public holiday! It is very welcome though because it has been so dry.

Garden waste can be a problem here too Moira. There is a shredder thing at the recycling centre but it doesn't take latge branches etc. Because we burn wood we or rather mrR just cuts them up and leaves them to dry for a couple of years. We are no longer permitted to burn garden waste unless we have a permit and even then only at certain times of year outside nesting season and forest fire danger times. Of course there are those who ignore it but they are usually caught and fined quite heavily.

Fantastic footie match last night. I know of to Liverpool fans in Jersey , GS and his uncle, who are probably completely hoarse this morning.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 8:59 am

Morning all! Rain is here as forecast but not a good downpour for the garden. I think, from the forecast I saw last night, that those further north and in Ireland may be having rather more than they want.

If you leave items in the pavement here, the jobsworths who don't do things we'd like them to would probably have you for flytipping :rolleyes:.

ltc - your garden must look wonderful through the summer.

icey - at last! :bounce: :bounce:.

Last lazy day before going back to work tomorrow. Have got full details for funeral on 20th now. Thankfully they have not stipulated the wearing of certain colours or anything so they will get an outfit they've seen before which I must try on today. I could do with a new jacket. It is a burial and we walk some way from church to cemetery so I'll take a biggish bag and slip some flat shoes in - and I hope it doesn't rain.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 8th, 2019, 9:24 am

earthmaiden wrote:If you leave items in the pavement here, the jobsworths who don't do things we'd like them to would probably have you for flytipping

Even if it was labelled eg "Free, please take"? How mean spirited.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 8th, 2019, 9:33 am

The good news here is that IKEA are opening a depot type shop in what was the ground floor of a large supermarket, they will sell the smaller items, eg cutlery but the heavy stuff will have to ordered, possibly Click & Collect. It also means that the small shops in the arcade could be reinstated, there used to be a good shoe shop there. :D
Also a DIY shop Ellinas, has closed, mainly because new roads caused a change in traffic flow but Leroy Merlin, a French firm is moving into the site, that will save everyone driving to Nicosia.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 8th, 2019, 10:32 am

miss mouse wrote:Is it suitable to put on the pavement? That used to be common round here and is experiencing a revival. I have 'given away'' several surplus things and acquired one or two as well.

Not allowed here unfortunately unless it's for a pre-arranged bulky waste uplift from the council. :(
Good morning everyone,
Thanks for the suggestions re my Dad's remaining stuff, I was trying to avoid the hassle of Freecycle etc. mainly because my experience is folk don't turn up! It would be easier for this if his stuff was here but it's means I've got to get to his house which is £7+ in taxi fares each time. I don't mind the spend but not for wasted journeys.
Wet & cold here this morning but I'm more than happy to have a "house" day and catch up on my admin "to do" and get a sourdough loaf underway.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 10:40 am

Good morning
Pouring here, at least the tree pollen level has dropped significantly

Getting rid of stuff responsibly is a nightmare, the guest bed is hidden under a whole mountain range of green bags that I will arrange a charity collection for sometime

Must get on
, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 11:37 am

I like Freecycle because people come and pick the stuff up! I haven't had too much issue with timewasters.

Yes Miss Mouse, some local authorities like the easy pickings! Never mind those unknown people who dump untold stuff and are never caught. I had a real argy-bargey with an uncharming women on the phone once. I wanted to get rid of a fridge. I have nowhere to leave it at the front so put it (dealing with the door safely first) at the end of the small, private communal path that leads to our back gardens. It was completely out of harms way. Miss Uncharming told me that in that case I had put it on public land and might be had up for flytipping. I pointed out that it was not flytipping as I had told her I had placed it there and why and was asking for collection. If she didn't like it perhaps I could take it in again and make an appointment. I was informed they don't make appointments and cannot say which day they might come .... :evil:. I told her I would risk being prosecuted as long as she put it on the collection list. It was collected :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 8th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Has anyone heard from Tezza after her post ? Saw she lady visited yesterday morning but couldn’t see an update on her condition anywhere
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I have been wondering too. I have her postal address but not an email or telephone number. If you are looking in Tezz we are all thinking of you :hug: :hug: :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 8th, 2019, 2:09 pm

I have ordered a Christmas Tree :xtree: :lol: One of our craft group, the one who knits Nativity Set figures is making Christmas trees. She and her husband took a cruise last Christmas, it started at Barcelona, they stayed in the city for a couple of nights before the trip, visiting a Christmas Market where they saw the trees. She made a sketch of the trees, essentially fabric with button decoration, raffia comes into it some where, they are free standing.
We already have one of her knitted trees, she will bring a choice of fabric next week.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Back from tennis via Wrose and I have beer and chocolate for OH :D

We’ve had some proper rain at last :D ... I got soaked in Wrose car park fumbling for the car keys ... totally forgetting that the doors will unlock if the key is near to the car :rolleyes:

It’s chilly so I’ve put the heating on and now I’ll get the knitting out ...

Keep your pecker up Tezza! if you’re looking in :tu: :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 8th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Pouring here too, that will mean full water butts Hurrah !

I have scrubbed the new rainbow sandstone floor in the snug and the bit infront of the kitchen, I started at 9am and finished at 2.30pm That is all for today or I shall not be able to move tomorrow.

Mr. Z. went off to work at 8.50 and they have lied to him again, the 3 drops have now been added to and the promised 7pm finish will now be nearer to midnight, he is not amused !

Because of the rain, Eric has not turned up, I am not surprised.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Oh Moira really .... we are still freezing here, we don't want to think about :xtree: :lol: .

I think I have wasted the day, just renewing a few things that needed to be done online, changing bedding and cooking something that some would call savoury mince and others a British bolognese ;). The rain came in the end and the heating has had to go on - the woolly jumper wasn't enough. This time last year I was in Australia basking in sunshine.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

We have had a load of rain all day. I thought it had finished, but it seems to have found its second wind

My big black cat seems to have deserted me - I think his humans were probably away from Easter to Bank Holiday Monday. Well, he knows where I am now, when he needs another cuddle

I feel I haven't achieved much today either, trying to get on with the final push on the filing, I really should finish the worst of it today, but then again it should have happened months ago.

Onwards and upwards, rather slowly
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2019, 6:45 pm

It has been throwing it down since about 4.30pm. Everything keeps going off. We have had the fire on since lunch time. Climate change strikes again.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm

When the builders were getting rid of stuff, any metal would disappear quite quickly if you left it outside. The local “rag and bone men” would take it.

But other rubbish is more difficult. The tips are OK but not open every day. And now we have a newly elected local councillor whose first pronouncement is that the council should charge for emptying green bins. It’s an idiotic idea but he’s a Tory, so only to be expected, I suppose. It’s one way to encourage fly tipping. Maybe he has shares in a company that the council employs to clear up fly tipping.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » May 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm

A neighbour had a small fridge that was not required. He put it on the drive with a label “Good working order. Free to a good home”. It was still there a week later!

He changed the label to “Good working order. £10. Put money through letterbox”. The fridge was “stolen” that night.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Aero - they started charging for green bin emptying here a while back. It was then that I discovered that it was already quite usual in many places so you're lucky to have got off the hook for so long. It's an annual fee and they just go to the addresses of people who've paid. We had the flytipping argument to no avail but the worst aspect is that in the summer, if you want to take a car load of stuff to the tip, you have to wait in a huge traffic queue of people taking in small bags of grass cuttings :rolleyes:. My garden is too small to merit paying, I compost weeds and go to the tip with my and my elderly neighbour's snippings twice a year.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 8th, 2019, 7:54 pm

£35 per year here, been in force for three years. We paid the first year but haven’t bothered since, we compost what we can and any excess is taken to the tip which we pass when on the way to/from food shopping.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Harrow have been doing it for at least three years. We pay £75. We do compost but there’s still enough to fill the bin once a fortnight.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Ours started off as £40 but now its £50.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 8th, 2019, 9:21 pm

We have a sizeable garden and we have 2 green waste bins which are emptied free every 2 weeks.
We compost as much as we can but the bins are full every time.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 11:22 pm

we don't have green waste bins (or wheelie bins of any colour come to that - other than a couple we were given by someone upcountry, which are used as worm bins).
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 9th, 2019, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the Cypriot government has been fined by the EU for lack of recycling facilities. There used to be a method of recycling green waste in the countryside, it was called goats. The EU made the Cypriots reduce the number of goats so this picturesque facility is no longer available.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 6:36 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Dry and bright so far today and the water butts are full :D and OH is at home today :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2019, 7:00 am

Good morning wild ones. It's stopped raining ....for now :D my new sofas are being delivered this morning :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: so I hope the rain stays away for at least this morning.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby dennispc » May 9th, 2019, 7:45 am

Green bin here £56 but not sure where we'd put it. Small front lawn only, grass cuttings use as mulch round tree and a few shrubs. Compost Bin for soft cuttings - hard stuff waits for a tip run.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 9th, 2019, 10:18 am

Good morning everyone,
Garden waste is collected monthly and food waste weekly here for no charge. I do compost but still end up with some stuff for both, mainly weeds for the garden bin and bones, fish skin etc. for the food bin. We have five wheelie bins and the food caddy and keeping track of what goes out when is quite hard. I'm not sure how/if the proposed deposit scheme for glass & plastic bottles and drink cans will affect this.
Cold grey and showery here this morning, I need to post a letter today and think I may have reconcile myself to getting wet as every time I think about doing it the rain comes on.
Groceries have been delivered and put away and the sourdough loaf is nearly ready to bake so fingers crossed it turns out as well as the first one. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 9th, 2019, 10:37 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Harrow have been doing it for at least three years. We pay £75. We do compost but there’s still enough to fill the bin once a fortnight.

I'm surprised you pay anything PP as we don't in Harefield. We don't get bins supplied either, only a small green caddy for food waste. This is put out weekly and collected with garden waste (in a large white bag). Recycling goes in a clear bag provided by LBH that clearly lists what you can and can't put in it. The remaining waste is put into our own black (or white) bags and also collected weekly. I understood there was a councillor at the Civic Centre who positively hated bins and forbad them ever being issued. I must say I don't know how I would cope with getting bins out to my gate - 2 steps up to that, then another 4 steps up to the road :( :rolleyes: :td:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 10:51 am

Here we have two wheelies ... blue for recycling and green or grey for stuff that will have to go to landfill or incineration. (Small electrical goods, containers of used batteries etc can be put out next to the recycling bin.)They are collected alternate weeks.
The small food waste caddy is collected weekly.
We pay approx £40 p.a. to have a wheelie for garden waste and this is emptied fortnightly throughout the year. We use ours for perennial weeds or ones with seedheads, broccoli/sprout stalks, rose pruning etc.
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 9th, 2019, 11:23 am

We have four bins. Black for anything. Green for garden and food waste. Brown for bottles, tins, cardboard and and plastic. And a blue box for paper.

If they start charging for green bins around here, the patch of open ground behind our house will become a waste tip. It's already got a problem with the allotment people dumping stuff. It's off a bridle path and not overlooked by houses.

I have tried to argue the case with the council that charging for waste disposal will double they costs. people won't pay the charge. Fly tipping will increase and the council will have to pay for cleaning up and then dispose of it for free. If they allowed free tipping of anything, fly tipping would drop to almost nothing. The cost of disposal of building waste could be covered by a disposal charge at the planning stage.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PurpleLuv » May 9th, 2019, 11:24 am

Afternoon all :hug:

Sorry I've been about much :hug: I hope you are all well :hug:

Life has been hectic & I can't remember when I last popped by, I'm sure I told you that Molly had very sadly passed, 2 weeks ago "Bea" came into our life, she's a little love. I'm very busy with work as usual & the house refurbish starts in 2 weeks for 16 weeks, I should at least get a bit of time to catch up with you guys then.
Attachments
Bea.jpg
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » May 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

Purps: what sort of dog will Bea be when she grows up?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 9th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Hi Moira, a cross, Her dad is a black lab & her Mum a Mudi Hungarian shepherd, a Mudisheprador :lol:

This is a Mudi, quite rare compared to other shepherds, she's certainly very cleaver https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/mudi#/slide/1
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » May 9th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

After a full night's heavy rain one can almost hear the weeds growing!

We don't have any household rubbish collections at all. There are bins for general rubbish and recycling bins for certain things at the south end of the hameau, fir ecerything else it has to be taken to the local recycling centre or for really complicated things like garden waste to the recycling centre on the outskirts of town :wave: for which one has to have a residents permit, It's just a way of life.

We compost everything compostable if the hens won't eat it , food scraps go to the outside cats. les autres were encouraged!f course there are those who ignore the rules but on the whole they are very much jumped on. There is a cctv camera at the local centre and, after a few people were fined for illegal dumping t We pay for watse collection etc quite seperately from the "rates" and it is not expensive - less than €200 a year.

We have had hilarity over the past 36 hours. Yesterday I heard something scrabbling about, I thought in the cellar. A search revealed nothing but I kept hearing it. Mr R said I was getting paranoid :rolleyes: The, this morning when he came down to the kitchen he found a little frog having a swim in Jules water bowl. It was too quick for him and it hid behand the dresser. We got back from shopping Sonia said it had reappeared but she didn't want to pick it up. It finally emerged and was trapped under the collander and gently removed to safety.It was incredibly fast.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 9th, 2019, 12:58 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I'm surprised you pay anything PP as we don't in Harefield. We don't get bins supplied either, only a small green caddy for food waste. This is put out weekly and collected with garden waste (in a large white bag). Recycling goes in a clear bag provided by LBH that clearly lists what you can and can't put in it. The remaining waste is put into our own black (or white) bags and also collected weekly. I understood there was a councillor at the Civic Centre who positively hated bins and forbad them ever being issued. I must say I don't know how I would cope with getting bins out to my gate - 2 steps up to that, then another 4 steps up to the road :( :rolleyes: :td:

I’ve heard that about the Hillingdon councillor too Pat, mainly from Hillingdon chums at the gym. Harrow’s is a very good and well maintained system. Blue Bin for recycling, Brown for garden waste, Green for general waste and a large black caddy to tip the stuff from your small kitchen caddy into. This is allegedly turned into some sort of fuel by the white dustcart that collects it.

We have to leave our bins within 5 metres of the gate. As we have a small front garden we never have to move ours.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 9th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Bea looks beautiful Purps, the Mudi dogs look a bit like Australian blue heelers, another very intelligent herding dog.

On the ankle front, I feel much better today and much reduced pain. A better nights sleep, I don’t know if it was coincidence but I didn’t elevate the foot last night. Back to the fracture clinic on Tuesday for assessment
- I’m hoping to reduce my reliance on crutches.

BB

P.s. whisper it but I could get used to the being waited on hand and foot.
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 9th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Our LA started charging for garden waste collection a couple of years ago. We pay £60 per year. I don't have a problem with it to be honest- LA is very strapped for cash and I can understand why they made the decision to start charging. Bin is emptied once per fortnight and most of the year I manage to fill it every time (I have a compost bin too but that's mainly for food waste). If it wasn't for the collection we'd be taking the bulk of the garden waste to the local recycling centre and whilst it isn't far away when you factor in the number of trips and the associated petrol costs we just about break even with what we pay for the LA to collect it.

Bea is gorgeous!! :luv:

Glad you're bearing up BB :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 9th, 2019, 4:21 pm

EM, that splash back was a link from the website, ours is presently sitting in the garage waiting for the new kitchen to be installed..... Now I have shades of 'flame' I feel I can now order the paint tints to give the 'Cashmere' a HUGE splash of colour otherwise it would be a very dull kitchen (colourwise).

We don't pay for any Green bin recycling, thankfully we have enough space to hide the compost and let it do its own thing over time and we don't have to look at it !
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop