Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » May 11th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Afternoon all :hug:

I was going to go back out to shops but it started to rain and as I had my hair done this morning I don't want to get it wet.

I love singing, I have been in a choir for over two years now. We do a mixture of mainly rock, pop and gospel but also (certainly recently) classical. We have a a big show on in a few weeks, a couple of other choirs are joining us plus special guests. I need to get my laptop on and put the playlist together so I can learn and practice. I do have a memory stick which I use in the car but it's got all the songs we have done on it so it can take a while for me to find the songs I specifically need to be doing. Practising in the car is known as car-e-oke.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 11th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Very impressive Scully. I wish I could do better
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Last time I looked, singing was on the National Curriculum both at Primary and Secondary level, as is learning songs which reflect cultural heritage - therein lies the hymn-singing problem. When I was teaching class music (up until 3 years ago) about 70%, maybe more, of the students were from non-Christian homes. I was only ever asked to specifically teach hymns in the Christian faith schools. In the others we used a wonderful series of books called Voiceworks which drew on the musical culture of many faiths. There are some fabulous songs, worshipful and non-worshipful, out there.

In my, very extensive, experience a school which does not teach singing is a rotten school. I think you’ll find that OFSTED is also of that opinion.

I am so pleased to read this PP. I am so glad you posted. Those of us with little connection to schools these days sometimes get the feeling that traditional singing is disappearing. I quite get that they won't be singing hymns or even purely British folk songs, but if we are to lose some of our traditional cultural heritage and embrace that of our multi-cultural society I think we need things we can sing as a community at any kind of event and know the words because we have sung them so often as children. Hymns used to serve that purpose but no longer can. I hope we're not doomed to look towards ABBA songs instead - the Voiceworks books sound hopeful!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 11th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I'm a singing widower... :o

Yesterday OH had the second recital of her "world tour" in Southwell Minster, this morning she was a soloist in a performance in St Marys Church, Cambridge. This afternoon she was a soloist along with Lucy Balderson at a performance of Beethoven Mass in C in Harrow. Tomorrow there are two local Church services with a trip to St Albans Abbey for the "Herts Musical Memories" service where she is helping to lead the singing with the dementia sufferers.

I'm dashing to a car show in Somerset tomorrow. I wonder if she will notice!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » May 12th, 2019, 4:55 am

Morning all, phew! Such a busy day with a bit of a bad start.... Wuzzle came in with one eye very closed and he was obviously in some discomfort. He was briskly whipped off to the vet and it seems he might have either been in a tiff or got something in it. The inner lid was completely over his eye ball. £48 later !!! :o with a Metacam injection and some drops, a spell on the bed and he seems to be in a better place.

French drains are all done and so is my sphere patio. All site rubble has been removed and Mr. Z. dug out my 3 flower beds under the front of the house windows, so all we need now are some sleepers cut to fit. In the Autumn I will buy daff bulbs and fill boarders with them and earth so they should look good next Spring.

Thankfully supper was a ding dinner as I was completely shattered, then an early night.

I don't sing well, it hurts others ears.... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 12th, 2019, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild ones, reading through the posts if there is one place that a solar cooker would work it is Cyprus. I have never heard of anyone using one but on the other hand it is probably useless for souvla.
Yesterdays Strawberry Chutney is a bit runny but I do not feel inclined to reboil it as strawberry jam is notoriously runny. We shall just have to eat it ourselves.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 12th, 2019, 6:42 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again. The beasts are goofing at OH to take their beds out so they can soak up the rays :lol: :lol: :lol:
We did have a frost last night frost last night, the heaters were on in the greenhouse. The plants are looking good, growing nicely. Hopefully we get another bumper crop this year.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 12th, 2019, 7:11 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A lovely morning full of sunshine 8-) OH is at home today :D we will cut the grass :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2019, 8:46 am

Good morning
The sun is out, and I’m looking forward to a plant sale this afternoon

Zosh, poor Wuzzle but £48 sounds pretty good for me, that’s the minimum cost of a decent cut and blow dry round here, and a vet is hopefully better qualified, plus the equipment and treatments are more expensive

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 12th, 2019, 9:19 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lots of sunshine but also a fierce Mistral so we will not be eating on the terrace today :(

[quote="aero280"]I'm a singing widower... :o

Yesterday OH had the second recital of her "world tour" in Southwell Minster, this morning she was a soloist in a performance in St Marys Church, Cambridge. This afternoon she was a soloist along with Lucy Balderson at a performance of Beethoven Mass in C in Harrow. Tomorrow there are two local Church services with a trip to St Albans Abbey for the "Herts Musical Memories" service where she is helping to lead the singing with the dementia sufferers.

I'm dashing to a car show in Somerset tomorrow. I wonder if she will notice!! :D[/quote
Mr R was a chorister in Southwell Minster and a boarder at the choir school. It's a beautiful place.
Zosh I am glad woozle is feeling better and I agree with Sue £48.00 seems very cheap for a vet.s bill. You are talking figures with at least 2 zero here for the slightest thing.

Have a pleasant Sunday all.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 12th, 2019, 10:01 am

That's the I****** done, the washing dries quickly at this time of year.
I have been told that we have too much chutney, can a household have too much chutney :? I counted the jars, all containing mature chutney, I stopped counting at 30 jars. Hmm, I think that I shall give some away.

earthmaiden wrote: I am so glad you posted. Those of us with little connection to schools these days sometimes get the feeling that traditional singing is disappearing. I quite get that they won't be singing hymns or even purely British folk songs, but if we are to lose some of our traditional cultural heritage and embrace that of our multi-cultural society I think we need things we can sing as a community at any kind of event and know the words because we have sung them so often as children. Hymns used to serve that purpose but no longer can. I hope we're not doomed to look towards ABBA songs instead

I was listening to BH on R4 earlier, we heard the Liverpool FC Fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone, which I believe is their anthem. Not exactly choral but definitely community singing.

We are having Smoked Trout (Greek) for lunch together with a rocket and herb salad, probably a tomato salad dressed with local EVOO, courtesy of Effie's Father, we had it in return for all the carobs that came from our trees.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 12th, 2019, 10:15 am

Good morning everyone,
Frosty again first thing but lovely & sunny now. More frost tonight, hopefully the last one of this season, before it's supposed to warm up a bit.
The garden beckons again but I'll hold off planting up containers etc, until tomorrow as I'd hate them to get frost nipped.
Pollock in parsley sauce witn jersey royals, french beans & broad beans for dinner tonight. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 12th, 2019, 11:27 am

StokeySue wrote:Zosh, poor Wuzzle but £48 sounds pretty good for me

I agree. Not bad at all for a vet visit. Hope dear Wuzz perks up soon. It's not been his week really has it? How is he dealing with the Little Pickle now? I do hope they're getting on a little better.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 12th, 2019, 7:22 pm

I've been looking after next door's moglet this weekend - a sweet young lady named Mia, who seriously needs spaying, as every Tom (barring Dyllan, of course), is hanging around and spraying everywhere :sprout:

I've been popping round to feed her and clean her tray out. She's very well-behaved & even bumped noses with me :luv: Dear old Bagpuss was the last of ours to do that.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 13th, 2019, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, bright and sunny. The pomegranate trees are flowering, they are small trees and have lovely clear, red flowers. The demand for pomegranates has increased so more orchards are being planted, they are a pretty sight.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2019, 6:03 am

It’s a glorious sunny morning here 8-)

A bit of light pottering and reading are among today’s plans ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 13th, 2019, 6:27 am

Morning all, a lovely clear and bright one here.... Spent time planting dwarf beans yesterday, then found my slug pellets had gone mouldy and in a solid lump so 'borrowed' some from a close gardening fiend, I owe her !

For Moira...https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ry-reeling Although I expect you have heard about most of it locally.

Sea & EM Wuzzle is much better now, but Sally Anne has learnt how to tease the big gang, Think that is the Bengal in her coming out. Wuzzle is still hissing but the growling seems to have subsided a little. The weather having been good, means they boys are spending time outside.

I am going to try Aeros instructions and resize a photo of our now finished water sphere patio which we are rather enjoying
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 13th, 2019, 6:41 am

Zosh: yes, we know all about those murders, I have been following it since they found a second body. They are still searching for a second suitcase.

I am cooking onions for an onion tart

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

Good morning wild ones. Dare I say it again, the Sun is out :o I have a ironing mountain to do today after the washing done yesterday. I have been down the garden this morning and the dwarf lilacs are full of blossom and smell Devine :luv:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 13th, 2019, 7:04 am

Morning all! A lovely sunny day here too and no work 8-). With the M4 closure I have at least properly investigated a particularly rural route home which works well and is rather nice in sunshine.

Glad that Wuzzle is on the mend. I think that is quite enough to pay at the vet and the reason I choose not to have any more pets. Mia sounds sweet - definitely needs to get to the vet fast!

Shopping, finding a funeral jacket and housework on the cards today. Hopefully I can do it all without the car and incorporate a nice walk.

30 jars of chutney Moira? That would last me beyond the grave!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 13th, 2019, 8:00 am

earthmaiden wrote:30 jars of chutney Moira? That would last me beyond the grave
Yes, we are getting to the state that visitors do not leave the house without a jar of chutney :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 13th, 2019, 8:34 am

We too have sunshine but i suspect the temperature is lower than in a lot of the UK. Anyway the first load of washing is blowing in the breeze.

I have 3 terra cotta pots on the house wall under the pergola. They don't get much light but they dry out quickly in the heat - when we get some.
Has anyone any ideas for planting ? I am wondering about succulents preferably flowering ones.

I hope everyone has a good week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 13th, 2019, 9:11 am

Sedums might work … they come in various colours (leaves from green to purple and flowers pale to bright pink)

Just had a google and they suggest Hostas .... you could line the clay pots with plastic ones to hold the moisture in.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 13th, 2019, 9:28 am

Good morning everyone,
No suggestions re plants but a disposable nappy popped at the bottom of the pot is great for helping pots to not dry out.
Touch of frost here again this morning but lovely and sunny and to get quite warm this afternoon. I've a couple of letters to post and then I'll be getting started on planting out my annuals. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 13th, 2019, 9:58 am

What a great tip ltc! I've been wondering what to do with the few I have left from GD!

Getting on with chores very slowly here. Trying to decide what kind of cake to make for funeral - 6 people (unknown to each other) have been asked to make one each but no-one knows what the others will be making :evil:. My choice will be chocolate, coffee and walnut, cherry almond or fruit. I think someone is bound to do chocolate and have heard someone else might be doing lemon drizzle. Decisions .....!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2019, 10:33 am

My vote is for cherry almond ... love a good cherry cake :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2019, 11:17 am

Yes, I'd be tempted by the cherry one. Or could you do a fruity tea-bread rather than a classic cake? Can imagine that would work well at a funeral bun-fight.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2019, 11:21 am

Whose funeral is it EM? I've picked up that you're going to a funeral but missed the post about who had died... sorry.... :oops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 13th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Cherry almond for me too em.

These pots are semi spherical and hanging on the wall - they are not very big. I can't see wet nappies adding to the decorative effect!!
We have lots of sedums in the containers outside the front wall and they do well but the pots on the wall are too small. We are going to sally forth to the local nursery and ask advice this afternoon - they only open after lunch because they are at various markets in the morning.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 13th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Cherry almond for me too em.

These pots are semi spherical and hanging on the wall - they are not very big. I can't see wet nappies adding to the decorative effect!!
We have lots of sedums in the containers outside the front wall and they do well but the pots on the wall are too small. We are going to sally forth to the local nursery and ask advice this afternoon - they only open after lunch because they are at various markets in the morning.

Possibly not :lol: :lol:
Though mine are similiar and you don't see the nappy .......
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I think it’s the pee retaining gel in the nappy that’s supposed to hold water in the pot - you can buy just the gel at garden centres to mix with the compost

For that kind of pot I’ve done well with ivy leaved geranium, they like sun but don’t seem that fussed. Impatiens New Guinea or various kinds of begonia might also work?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 13th, 2019, 6:27 pm

I've got water retaining gel but quite honestly these pots are far too porous and on the wrong wall. eE've now got some succulents to try it really gets horribly hot under there. The pots are quite high up on the wall, and need to be uber resiliant. It is very very shady under there under a vine and the wisteria. My herbs do really well under there even when the temperature gets to 100C
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Sweet dreams all ..,,,
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 14th, 2019, 5:07 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we reached 28C yesterday but only for a couple of days and the humidity is still low.
We have a lot of succulents, some in the garden but most in pots on the terrace or the gravel beds. The plants are mature,producing beautiful flowers, very clear reds and yellows, some are creamy white. They will survive a little frost.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2019, 5:36 am

Morning Moira, We BBQ'd lovely local lamb chops and a very meaty burger yesterday lunchtime and I have areas of pinkness today :oops: :oops: might have to get the aftersun out when I get up. Mr. Z. watered all new plantings last night. The airliners are steaming in across the sky making a huge naughts and crosses grid!

We are having a tidy up today, the lady and gent at 'my other house' have requested a kitten viewing session early afternoon and I do feel bad that we are still clearing up some parts of the build. Some bits we don't know if they have finished with so there is stuff all over the place.

This evening Mr. Z. is going to meet Eric and see if he can do some grass cutting on a big grass cutter instead of doing the horrendous night work that has knackered him recently. 10 hours per week and locally that saves on fuel and time, and it's only in the Summer, could be a much better situation.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 14th, 2019, 6:58 am

Good morning wild ones. We have sunshine again :bounce: :bounce: Not to much to do today, I might have to join the beasts sitting in the Sun :D

Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for beetroot chutney ?
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 8:19 am

Good morning
Lovely summery sun here warming up the pots of seeds I planted yesterday

Off to the British Library tonight to hear Felicity Cloake talk about “the perfect”,, think I’ll walk to the tube via the wildlife reserve. Stuff to do before then, laundry etc

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 8:22 am

Lovely morning and, like Moira's weather, low humidity. We had the bedroom window open last night for the first time this year. As a result the birds woke us up at silly am
I didn't go to the nursery yesterday because it was Monday and everything is closed on Monday :rolleyes: I think succulents are the way to go though. Mr R is currently attacking the wisteria with his telescopic hedge trimmer. The balcony tends to get a bit like Sleeping Beauty's castle then the geraniums get swallowed up.
The DVD of The Favourite has just arrived, to add to the list of things we must see.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 8:25 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
Lovely summery sun here warming up the pots of seeds I planted yesterday

Off to the British Library tonight to hear Felicity Cloake talk about “the perfect”,, think I’ll walk to the tube via the wildlife reserve. Stuff to do before then, laundry etc

Have a good day

Saturday's Kitchen Cabinet was from the BL It is repeated this afternoon. I assume it is the Food and Drink festival which you kindly told us about last year. We really enjoyed the talk we went to.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 8:53 am

Morning all! Deep envy (again) at being able to get to the British Library easily!

Lovely and sunny here, washing is on the line. Meeting GD from nursery today. They are having their first 'school photo' today. I can see the point of a group photo but now that every child has already had a trillion photos taken on mobile phones by the time they reach 4 years old I doubt there is the demand there would have been once for anything else.

The bluebells are just about over so it's time to attack the garden. The hooped poles I bought for the clematis have worked a treat. The trouble is, I am expecting a parcel and won't hear the bell from the garden so may have to do something indoors :cry:. I ordered a jacket online in the end but will still have time to go to the shops if it's no good.

Talking of trying to order a nice navy jacket online, I got the distinct feeling that they were 'end of season' with only the dregs in style and sizing left. Navy used to be quite popular teamed with white in summer.

The funeral is for my GD's 'other granny's' husband Seatallen, he was terminally I'll for some time and died mid-April, the funeral is over a month later! I am still pondering over cake - cherry almond is tempting, I used to make a good one with drizzly water icing. I'm thinking that other people might not make fruit cake though .. :?:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 9:07 am

I did say good morning earlier ... I obviously didn’t hit Submit :oops:

Since then I’ve been reading .., we’re both hooked on Val McDermid ... odd really cos neither of us ‘does’ crime fiction :?

It’s a gorgeous morning ... I must make some pastry for an asparagus and cheese quiche for supper ... and then I’ll probably finish this book ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 9:09 am

em, navy and white is my go-to colour combi in summer. In fact that, apart from a few bight tee shirts, is just about all I have.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 14th, 2019, 9:32 am

Back from the Bank and the big supermarket, the reason that I could not find the credit card that I use for household expenses was because somehow or other it had got stuck inside my passport :rolleyes:
A number of the big frozen food cabinets in the supermarket were empty, very little imported stuff, I suspect that the freezer ship is sitting outside Limassol harbour.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 10:13 am

Ratatouille wrote:em, navy and white is my go-to colour combi in summer.

... and I know you're not alone!

Postman has just delivered my jacket. I am a between size and ordered the smaller one as the larger was out of stock. Very often the smaller is fine but this time it is slightly small. I will try it on with the dress in a minute but may end up looking round the shops and save gardening for tomorrow. It will do if there is nothing else. This is where being a perfect size 6 or 8 is particularly helpful - there always seem to be lots of those left!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 14th, 2019, 10:20 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Back from the Bank and the big supermarket, the reason that I could not find the credit card that I use for household expenses was because somehow or other it had got stuck inside my passport

At least you found and can use yours Moira … mine has somehow been cloned and someone has taken £5000 cash out, which was my credit limit. I first found the problem when I tried to book a couple of tickets for the Tower of London back at the beginning of April … this for my friend who is coming over from California in August. The payment got rejected and I made a call to JL Finance to find out why … only to be told to stop using it until their security/fraud department had sorted the problem. I have now received the statement for April containing this transaction, including all the relevant charges for withdrawing cash, going over my credit limit and other sundries … :shock: I am puzzled as to how the scammers managed to withdraw cash as my PIN would have been needed and no-one know that 'cept me. The mystery continues - I am hoping I don't have to provide proof that it wasn't me ! :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 14th, 2019, 10:24 am

I have just come back from the fracture clinic. It appears that I have got a break as well as the ligament damage, to be honest I’m quite cross that it wasn’t spotted, it was a very easy spot when I looked at the x ray. Another x ray taken today confirms things, upshot is that I have to see the orthopaedic surgeon next week.

I was pinning my hopes on being able to drive when OH goes on holiday next week, guess I will have to rely on the kindness of others, which has been most forthcoming, it just doesn’t sit well with me - I’m usually the one running around. I’m used to being the ‘ legs’.

I’m roasting a chicken for tea, to be served with jersey royals and salad. I even need help getting things in and out of the oven!

I feel like kicking something in a most childish way ...........

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 14th, 2019, 10:26 am

Oh Patsy I do hope you get things sorted ASAP, it must be worrying.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 14th, 2019, 11:02 am

Oh Lordy Patsy, I do hope you can get it resolved soon.... :hug:

And BB- sorry to hear you do have a fracture after all. As you say, how did they manage to miss it? Good luck with the surgeon next week. :hug:

EM- I think you should go with the cherry cake because it sounds perfectly scrummy :chops: . If no-one makes a fruit cake, so be it. I hope you're able to sort out the jacket issue. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 11:04 am

Oh Patsy :shock: :hug: and Oh Bb :shock: :hug: Sincere commiserations to you both ... what PITAs :evil:

I had one of those phone calls yesterday ... from a lady who said she was called (but didn't sound like) Hannah James ... apparently a man in Devon called David Thomas has taken control of my Amazon account via my phone and is trying to buy a mobile phone for £300 on my account ... she needed me to log into my emails and then into my Amazon account and she would sort it all out for me. I said I didn't believe that she worked for Amazon and she gave me her ID number and phone number and told me to hang up and ring her back and she would get her manager to vouch for her ............ :shock: :rolleyes: :lol: Oh yeah!?!?!? Did she think I was born yesterday???

I hung up and put the number she'd given me into Google ............. pages and pages of folk reporting the same names and the same scam ... apparently it's always that David Thomas in Devon who is after our money :lol: :lol: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 14th, 2019, 11:09 am

Oh Dear, just imagine if you really are David Thomas from Devon :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop