Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby Ratatouille » May 16th, 2019, 6:42 pm

We rarely use credit cards here because in France they are no a common thing - debiyt cards yes. You can get into really bad trouble if you go overdrawn in France. Thankfully it has never happened to us but we do know of people who have with fairly disastrous consequences.

We too have two! one for the UK and one for use here, but we only tend to use them when buying stuff from UK.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 9:06 pm

I only use my one credit card when paying for things online, booking hotels, that sort of thing, and pay it off every month.

If I fell asleep on the sofa and have been sent to bed ... sweet dreams all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Yes, we pay ours off every month, it has been HUGE recently with buying stuff for the build.

Mr. Z. has just text, ETA midnight ! I have hit my sack.....Scrumpy has just joined Wuzzle and me. Gridge has gone to her chair and Sally Anne is shut in her bedroom with all she needs otherwise it would be bedlam.... :?

Night all...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2019, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have two credit/debit cards, one Cypriot, one UK used for on line purchases. Consequently I have two separate bank accounts.
Warm again, we had strong gusts of wind in the night which made everything rattle.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 17th, 2019, 6:52 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: the Sun is lovely, but the plants love rain. You just cannot water them enough yourself, they need a good downpour :tu: As we were hedge cutting and gardening yesterday, I will be shopping today, veggies are all eaten and need replenishing. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 17th, 2019, 9:17 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's raining and not very warm at all. Hope it improves because we have been invited to a "Cocktail dinatoire" this evening to celebrate our lovely carpenters, a husband and wife, 25years in business. I wonder if any of the Lindleys will be there because they did all their wardrobes in the house where Kate was filmed topless just after the wedding. It's a beautiful place but very well hidden and there was outrage amonst the locals at the intrusion.

I've just made 6 jars of strawberry jam and cleared away the resulting stickiness. I've got natural smoked kippers as a treat for lunch.The cook's candle is standing by
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2019, 9:23 am

Good morning
Grey here

I have a debit card which I use for day to day stuff like shopping; some pubs, bars and restaurants round here are going cash free. As one barman said, better not to handle cash in a puddle of beer
Then I have a charge card which is really a limited credit card, it is automatically paid off on the due date every month without the option of carrying it forward. Useful for buying large items, I only move the money from my savings account when I know exactly how much is required.
Then I have a conventional credit card that I use once or twice a year to keep the account live, but occasionally useful when travelling.

Need to get some cash for backgammon later, will pop to the bank

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2019, 9:24 am

Morning all! Seems quite quiet here today. Very dull outside, I have been told to expect showers.

Slept in late as am back on night shift tonight. A few things to do - but not more gardening it rains.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 10:33 am

Whoops! I’ve not said good morning yet :shock: :oops:
Good morning all :D :mug:
My excuse is that I’ve been making a cake ... Mary Berry’s marmalade tray bake ... I had a quarter jar of marmalade in need of using up ... just enough ... nearly ready to come out of the oven ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 17th, 2019, 11:19 am

Afternoon all!
We have been contacted by someone from utilities warehouse about saving us money. We were sent a questionnaire on our month to month expenditiure.
Mob phone contract? £8.26 a month, so not a biggie. Hub is on PAYG
Credit cards - neither of us have one
Phone provider and expenditure - about 1/6 a quarter!!
We probably could make savings on our gas and leccy bills though
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby scullion » May 17th, 2019, 11:37 am

we had people coming round delivering a leaflet about that. there was nothing we could change. i suppose we could have gone for a cheaper electric company but we choose to pay a green generating company.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 17th, 2019, 11:57 am

suffolk wrote:I only use my one credit card when paying for things online, booking hotels, that sort of thing, and pay it off every month.

StokeySue wrote:I have a debit card which I use for day to day stuff like shopping; some pubs, bars and restaurants round here are going cash free.

Suffs, how do you pay for petrol and shopping ?

Sue, isn't a debit card just as vulnerable to being scammed?

My young neighbours don't use cash at all ... it's cards or phones 100% for them
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2019, 11:59 am

I know people worry about credit cards, but it would really worry me not having one

You see, for example, those ads for pay day loans where someone is suddenly hit by a bill for a boiler repair or a car problem. It’s not that I wouldn’t usually have funds to cover it, but they wouldn’t necessarily be in my current account, and sometimes I might be able to get reimbursed by insurance before I paid it off

And that goes double when travelling where if something goes wrong it’s often a case of pay upfront and argue with the insurance later.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 17th, 2019, 12:04 pm

StokeySue wrote:I know people worry about credit cards, but it would really worry me not having one

I always pay my credit card off every month and being a John Lewis one, I got loyalty points/vouchers on my purchases …. JL Finance has always been extremely efficient if I have ever had reason to query any purchases, immediately taking up the fight on my behalf and refunding without question. Do banks do the same thing ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2019, 12:22 pm

I get NatWest Rewards on my card, cash or vouchers, though I usually take the cash as the vouchers are often for things like Alton Towers or don’t save anything much over spending on the card.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 17th, 2019, 12:25 pm

The locals here seem to pay with debit cards, cash and cheque in equal numbers. The trick is to try to gues what each customer is going to do when selecting a queue to join. Last week we chose wrong and got behind an old dear who paid all in coins which she couldn't see or handle so handed her purse to the check out girl who had to count piles of 1 and 5 cent coins. :scared: No -one in rural France could manage without a cheque book, there are lots of places, including restaurants, that accept only cash or cheque
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 12:54 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
suffolk wrote:I only use my one credit card when paying for things online, booking hotels, that sort of thing, and pay it off every month.

Suffs, how do you pay for petrol and shopping ?

Debit card :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2019, 1:16 pm

The fun here is people who are paid by cheque but do not have a bank account. Some of the independent supermarkets, eg our local one in Episcopi will take a the cheque ,cash it provided that a specific percentage in the shop. You can imagine the queues at the till, whilst cheque and identity are validated, always by a member of management.
Cypriots especially the villagers do not trust banks, there were little local Co op banks, they were closed or amalgamated into one of the commercial banks earlier this year. If you heard about the financial shenanigans that went on, loans that they knew would never be paid, you would be amazed that they hung on so long, probably political connections.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote: JL Finance has always been extremely efficient if I have ever had reason to query any purchases, immediately taking up the fight on my behalf and refunding without question. Do banks do the same thing ?

Like others, I keep credit cards for booking things like holidays and for unforeseen sudden expenses.

I have been contacted by phone when cards have been used in what they deem to be a strange way. Nowadays it's usually a text. I had a debit card stolen and used once and got a refund with no question. Funnily enough, when I called to report the theft, they immediately asked if I was in Barcelona! No, it was stolen from the boot of my car in Wiltshire :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I do tell the credit card company when I’m travelling, when I did long haul trips for work it would have been very embarrassing if the hotel had not got paid when I left
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm

I refuse to have a credit card. Heck - when my bank sent me a contactless card (which I hadn't asked for), I promptly asked them to send me a 'normal' cash-card instead.
If I don't have the funds to pay for something, then I don't buy it.
I even only write a cheque once in a blue moon.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2019, 7:55 pm

One if the points of using a credit card for various transactions, including travel, is that they cover you if something goes wrong with the purchase. You can use it and pay it off at once if you have the funds but still have the benefit.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 18th, 2019, 5:43 am

Good morning Wild Ones, are you watching Eurovision Song Contest tonight, when did the Israelis become European? as for Australia :rolleyes: at least we know that they will have good weather, Tel Aviv is under the same weather system as us, same time zone too.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 18th, 2019, 5:50 am

Grassy ... using a credit card gives protection from problems that can arise when shopping online. It also provides reassurance that if something you buy turns out to be faulty you can get your money back quickly and easily. It’s not to do with buying something I don’t have the funds to cover ... I pay the credit card bill every month (before it accrues any interest). It also means that should I get a sudden emergency big expense (huge car repairs/new washing machine etc) I don’t have to have that much money sitting in my current account doing nothing. It can be in my savings earning interest ... then when the monthly credit card bill arrives I can transfer what I need from my savings in order to pay the bill... So you see, using a credit card isn’t necessarily about racking up debt ... it can be a sensible way to manage money. :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 18th, 2019, 6:01 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

It’s damp and mild here in Norfolk ... good growing weather :D :tu:

Next week is going to be busy ... Wednesday I’ve got an early start for a U3A trip down to Constable country ... an area I know well but that I’ll be happy to revisit, especially in May :D then on Thursday DD is coming to give me a hand with some gardening stuff I can’t do because of my shoulder/knee probs and that OH hasn’t had time to do because of increased work hours. Friday I have another U3A group and on Sunday DD and I are visiting Bressingham Gardens ... busy busy busy all of a sudden ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 18th, 2019, 6:10 am

Good morning Moira :D :mug: Didn’t see you there :wave:
Yes we’ll watch Eurovision ... in a sort of vaguely interested/amused sort of way ... as for which countries can take part ... it seems that almost anywhere can as long as their tv companies contribute to the cost of putting it on. There are positives and negatives to that ... it probably works out about even ... however the Israel/Palestine situation is another aspect :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » May 18th, 2019, 6:54 am

Just to be aware, AFAIK, section 75 protection does not apply to a secondary card holder.
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » May 18th, 2019, 6:56 am

Sorry, morning all - I’m not usually around this time of day.
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 18th, 2019, 7:13 am

earthmaiden wrote:One if the points of using a credit card for various transactions, including travel, is that they cover you if something goes wrong with the purchase. You can use it and pay it off at once if you have the funds but still have the benefit.

That's my point ;) :tu: I see nothing wrong with credit cards as long as the balance is paid of each month .. at the end of the day it's still coming out of your bank account, but with some benefits.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 18th, 2019, 7:14 am

suffolk wrote:Grassy ... using a credit card gives protection from problems that can arise when shopping online. It also provides reassurance that if something you buy turns out to be faulty you can get your money back quickly and easily. It’s not to do with buying something I don’t have the funds to cover ... I pay the credit card bill every month (before it accrues any interest). It also means that should I get a sudden emergency big expense (huge car repairs/new washing machine etc) I don’t have to have that much money sitting in my current account doing nothing. It can be in my savings earning interest ... then when the monthly credit card bill arrives I can transfer what I need from my savings in order to pay the bill... So you see, using a credit card isn’t necessarily about racking up debt ... it can be a sensible way to manage money. :tu:

Exactly :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 18th, 2019, 7:15 am

Good morning wild ones. I always pay my credit card off in ful before it's due so no interest is incurred. Having said that I only use it theses days for thin g s that could technically go wrong so section 75 is a protection. Such as my new carpet and sofas. Anything else, food etc. I use my debit card. Talking of food, :rolleyes: I was shopping in Morrison's yesterday, I bought two bottles of wine from the shelf marked two for a tenner, when checked my receipt I had been charged full price for both. I went to customer service, the lady went and checked the shelf, came back and said one of them was not included in the offer. I said if they put it on the wrong shelf they should honour the price it's their mistake. Er no she said, :twisted: I will speak to the manager then, he has had to go to another store today :twisted: :twisted: by this time there was a Que behind me so I said I will have my money back then. So she did a refund. I have to say they are doing this more and more not only on wine but groceries too. Make sure you check the price on the shelf matches the size of the product if you shop there. Head office have had a very curt e-mail from me, but no reply as yet.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 18th, 2019, 7:29 am

Good morning
I don’t think my local Morrison’s makes much effort to get the shelf edge tickets to match and the stock to match. Or to fill the shelves. They clearly don’t have enough staff, and I think a few just fill where they are told to and ignore the tickets, possibly because some of them don’t read English well.

Need to dash off I have made it to the quarterfinals of the warm up tournament

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 18th, 2019, 8:58 am

suffolk wrote:Grassy ... using a credit card gives protection from problems that can arise when shopping online. It also provides reassurance that if something you buy turns out to be faulty you can get your money back quickly and easily. It’s not to do with buying something I don’t have the funds to cover ... I pay the credit card bill every month (before it accrues any interest). It also means that should I get a sudden emergency big expense (huge car repairs/new washing machine etc) I don’t have to have that much money sitting in my current account doing nothing. It can be in my savings earning interest ... then when the monthly credit card bill arrives I can transfer what I need from my savings in order to pay the bill... So you see, using a credit card isn’t necessarily about racking up debt ... it can be a sensible way to manage money. :tu:

Absolutely. :)

Also, having a credit card (I too pay mine off in full every month) helps you to maintain your credit record. In addition, it's just about impossible to purchase some things if you don't have a credit card. As for contactless cards... I really don't have a problem with it. The limit of £30 minimizes the exposure and it certainly speeds things up.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 18th, 2019, 9:09 am

Good morning everyone,
AWOL for a couple of days due to patchy internet while a local fault was fixed and glorious weather. I've mainly been gardening though enjoyed a lovely catch up with an old friend yesterday.
I use my credit card for anything I can as I get clubcard points on it but always pay it full every month. It suits me as I do most of my shopping online but also my monthly income comes at various points in the month so smooths that out. I only really use my debit card to withdraw cash or for small purchases at the local shop.
The weather has changed with quite a lot of rain overnight and by the look of the sky more to come. It's still warm though so should be good for the plants.
Today I want to gut my dining room as it has become a bit of a dumping ground :oops: and I'll want to use it when the kids are home next week.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 18th, 2019, 9:17 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is cold!
We had a great night lats night at the cocktail dinatoire. There were loads of people there and everyone of them got a straw hat with the firms name on the riddon around the crown. Loads of champagne, pastis, wines etc but the buffet was rather wonderful. Almost all local things like pissaladiere, crudittes with aioli, tapenade, anchoiade etc. cailettes- which are meat and chard balls wrapped in caul fat and fried. These were mini sized and gorgeous. There were verrines with caviar aubergine, brandade and avocado and prawns. Mini pain bagna and quails eggs filled with tapenade or goats cheese. We couldn't eat another morsel when we got home at about 9.00pm just in time to see Have I got News for You.

Mr R has been to the Somme reinaction which is town until december. Apparently it was worse than ever because of the rain.

I hope Sues backgammon goes well

We shall watch Eurovision this evening and I will watch the cup final too, much to Mr R's disgust

I do worry about tezza. Has anyone heard anything?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 18th, 2019, 9:22 am

Ratatouille wrote:I do worry about tezza. Has anyone heard anything?

It's been a fair old time since she said she was in hospital hasn't it? I do hope she's OK...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 18th, 2019, 9:34 am

Ratatouille wrote:I do worry about tezza. Has anyone heard anything

Yes, I was wondering about Tezza earlier this morning.
Sounds like a great night, Rats

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » May 18th, 2019, 10:16 am

according to her profile she visited on thursday.
best wishes when she (you) visits again.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 18th, 2019, 10:21 am

There are some side benefits to a credit card in addition to the protection. When I was working, and doing a very high mileage, I bought all my petrol at Tesco. All the business mileage was refunded by my employers, but the Tesco Clubcard points were mine to keep. The special deals they had with other companies meant that the benefit was multiplied. For many years my clubcard points funded a couple of return trips to the continent each year! :)

Sadly my mileage is so much less that I have to pay for most of the fare myself these days. :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » May 18th, 2019, 11:00 am

Good morning! :wave: :evil:. Having been on night shift I didn't want to see the rest of the morning but at 10.40am the doorbell went accompanied by loud knocking. It was, of course, yet again, a desperate parcel delivery man trying to find someone in to take a parcel for a distant neighbour. By the time I opened the door (I had been in deep sleep), he was down the road talking to another neighbour and didn't even have the decency to acknowledge me. After 50 minutes of trying to get back to sleep I've given up. Maybe I'll doze later. We don't have a place where parcels can be left I don't mind taking for an immediate neighbour and of course, they do for me sometimes. I always pick the facility where you can collect from somewhere if there is that option. Even if I unplugged the bell they would still hammer on the door. still, I am on countdown now, not many more shifts to go! Apparently we are having a month long thing at work on how to sleep better because some people said they had difficulty in a survey. I doubt anyone said they had traditional insomnia, just lack of time and too many disturbances .. no doubt we'll be told to wind down slowly, go to bed at the same time every night and have 8 hours sleep - :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:wave: :wave: :luv: to Tezza if she's looking in.

The feast looked delicious Rats!

Our Morrisons is pretty poor on all counts. We have three stores across the town, one is lovely but the others aren't. However, Waitrose are our most infuriating for shelf labelling. They just seem to omit to label anything you might like to buy if you knew the price. I do wonder if they do it purposely on items which are a bit dear in the hope that people will decide to have some anyway and forget to ask the price before it is run through the till. It could, if course, be the reason they have heaps of nice rtc items!

Cup final? Is that what all the Facebook chat regarding Watford was about? I must look and see who's playing. (you can tell I'm an avid fan :lol: ). Actually, I remember now that in some circles there was comment that Prince William would miss the family wedding. He wasn't that lucky last year!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 18th, 2019, 11:14 am

Yes, been thinking about Tezza lots ... hopefully she’s getting better and will soon be in a position to join in with the chatter again :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 18th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Perhaps they think Roman numerals would be better!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm

The dumbing down of society project seems to be going well. :cry: :cry:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm

There's no hope really is there? What scares me is that these people are able to both breed and vote... :rolleyes:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 18th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Help!

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of an earworm.
I've had it for a week now and it's doing my head in.
It's not even good music, it's a TV programme.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 18th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Evening all...... Missed popping in yesterday, it was a busy day, went twice to Pewsey to collect my auction bits. Very happy with them. I need to clean the furniture, it has been in a store for a while and needs some TLC. Glass ware has been found temporary homes until house becomes a home again..... Found some paint going cheap at B&Q it should (when mixed with tints) become the wall colour I need. Also got door bell stuff, in case it is needed when the porch goes up, also a moisture resistant spot light for the porch so that you can see to put your key in the door lock.

When I got back home, Eric was chain sawing logs and Mr. Z. was doing the lugging into and out of place. We now have enough wood cut into circles for Mr. Z. to chop in the Autumn and it should keep us going for most of the winter.

We both flaked in the afternoon while Eric carried out a job for our lovely neighbours. Thankfully a ding dinner and an early night for me, he fell asleep downstairs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: AGAIN !

Today we went to Bradford on Avon for the Green Man Festival. A very nice, low key affair with loads of troops of Morris dancers and cloggies. Lots of music, Jazz, Folk singing, drumming, belly dancers ! :o We had fish and chips in our favourite place :chops: I purposely only ate a few of my chips as we are out to supper tonight. Bought a pretty hand made leaded glass pendant that has been hung in the snug window, the colours will match the roman blinds when I get around to making them.

Stopped at ASDA around 4pm and collected a pile of RTC items, including a HUGE fresh chicken for £2.60 and a pack of chicken livers for 55p so can you let me have your favourite chicken liver pate recipes? (Mr. Z. won't eat them any other way). I can see me spending some time in the kitchen very soon ! But not tomorrow, I have arranged to dig out some buddleigha (sp) bushes with my lovely neighbour from their watery bit. Mr. Z. is grass cutting for Eric then @ 12.30 I am off to the Scarecrow thank you with my other cat loving fiend's husband as he helped out with the art gallery.

Well I had better get my skates on or we shall be late for supper........ Have only lunched (Baugettes) at the Swan at Enford before but the menu looks reasonable.

I hope to be home to see the final results of ESC. I think Albania has a good chance of winning...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 18th, 2019, 6:30 pm

What a lovely day zosh! I got some rtc chicken livers the other day but had them with veg & rice (the rest are in the freezer). Delia is usually quite good for pates.

I am at work so will miss ESC. No great loss really even though it's quite fun!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 18th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Evening all...... Missed popping in yesterday, it was a busy day, went twice to Pewsey to collect my auction bits. Very happy with them. I need to clean the furniture, it has been in a store for a while and needs some TLC. Glass ware has been found temporary homes until house becomes a home again..... Found some paint going cheap at B&Q it should (when mixed with tints) become the wall colour I need. Also got door bell stuff, in case it is needed when the porch goes up, also a moisture resistant spot light for the porch so that you can see to put your key in the door lock.

When I got back home, Eric was chain sawing logs and Mr. Z. was doing the lugging into and out of place. We now have enough wood cut into circles for Mr. Z. to chop in the Autumn and it should keep us going for most of the winter.

We both flaked in the afternoon while Eric carried out a job for our lovely neighbours. Thankfully a ding dinner and an early night for me, he fell asleep downstairs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: AGAIN !

Today we went to Bradford on Avon for the Green Man Festival. A very nice, low key affair with loads of troops of Morris dancers and cloggies. Lots of music, Jazz, Folk singing, drumming, belly dancers ! :o We had fish and chips in our favourite place :chops: I purposely only ate a few of my chips as we are out to supper tonight. Bought a pretty hand made leaded glass pendant that has been hung in the snug window, the colours will match the roman blinds when I get around to making them.

Stopped at ASDA around 4pm and collected a pile of RTC items, including a HUGE fresh chicken for £2.60 and a pack of chicken livers for 55p so can you let me have your favourite chicken liver pate recipes? (Mr. Z. won't eat them any other way). I can see me spending some time in the kitchen very soon ! But not tomorrow, I have arranged to dig out some buddleigha (sp) bushes with my lovely neighbour from their watery bit. Mr. Z. is grass cutting for Eric then @ 12.30 I am off to the Scarecrow thank you with my other cat loving fiend's husband as he helped out with the art gallery.

Well I had better get my skates on or we shall be late for supper........ Have only lunched (Baugettes) at the Swan at Enford before but the menu looks reasonable.

I hope to be home to see the final results of ESC. I think Albania has a good chance of winning...

Zosh my "standard" chicken liver pate (which I think might originally be based on a "Delia" from yonks ago) is
225 -250g livers
a large shallot or equivalent of onion finely diced
125g butter (+ a bit extra to clarify for the top of the pot- optional )
large clove crushed garlic
2 thick rashers of bacon chopped (or lardons)
2tblspns brandy or sherry or port or vermouth (I find brandy is best)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 generous tsp djon mustard
125 ml cream
salt & pepper

Melt butter and gently cook shallot, garlic, thyme & bacon until shallot & garlic are soft but not brown, add brandy and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes, add livers and cook until they are pink but not bloody. Bung in a blender with mustard & cream and blend until very smooth. Rub through a sieve to get rid of any bits (not completely neccessary but I prefer it), add s&p to taste and pop in a dish. Cover with clarified butter (optional)
I make this a few times a year and it is always really enjoyed. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 18th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Good evening
Yes I wondered about Tezza too
Had a long day
Won the warm up tournament which started yesterday either 58 players, some of them very good. Got a board, will get a trophy and some cash. Did really badly in the main event, only won 1/4 matches In another small tournament tomorrow Phew.

Have a good night everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop