Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby Zosherooney » May 18th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Many thanks LTC, looks tasty :chops:

Nice social tonight, Ckx & Chorizo with cheese, red peppers and very tasty it was too. A bobble each of clotted cream and one of salted caramel ice cream, now I am stuffed and ready to sleep for the world !

Well done Sue, good luck for 2moro

ESC winner was not my choice..... It's still a bit of a long drawn out programme.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 19th, 2019, 5:53 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, PP I love the image of you chucking A Ridgley and G Michael out of the music room.
Warm here and the heat is forecast to increase at the end of the week :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2019, 6:07 am

Good morning Moira and everyone else as you arrive :D :mug:

It was foggy here earlier but it’s lifting quickly ... think my plants should’ve been ok ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 19th, 2019, 6:31 am

Morning all! :wave:. Last night shift done as I've taken tonight off. Glorious day dawning as I drove home, sunshine and just a little mist to make the fields pretty.

Ready for my bed now. Any parcel people knocking on my door will be shot.

Sounds like a nice evening zosh - and Sue, well done even if you weren't top, you do very well!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 19th, 2019, 6:48 am

Good morning wild ones. It's overcast here again today :( it was quite chilly last night too, I had to dig out a cardigan :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2019, 8:08 am

Just a :wave: a :mug: and a :hug: for Tezza if she’s looking in :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 19th, 2019, 9:46 am

Lovely day here but a high pollen count, it is probably not the grass but more likely olive and other tree pollen that is causing my sinuses to complain, all that winter rain has made the trees flourish. Mentioning trees. I had to buy postage stamps, the current series is of "old " trees of Cyprus. The Forestry Dept keeps a register of protected old trees, you sometimes see a very gnarled olive with a little sign noting that it is at least 600 years old.

The stamp was for my brother's birthday card, I swear that we have enough cards to stock a small shop.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 19th, 2019, 10:53 am

While I was listening to the Archers I made a ginormous moussaka for supper when OH gets home from work this evening ... it ought to last us three days ... but it probably won’t :hungry: :chops: :oops:

Now to get on with my book ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 19th, 2019, 11:47 am

Zosherooney wrote:Today we went to Bradford on Avon for the Green Man Festival.

Oh how lovely Zosh! I used to visit Bradford on Avon with my dear friend who died. We went to Trowbridge Folk Festival regularly (sadly now defunct) and always called into Bradford on Avon on the way home. There was a lovely free-trade cafe we always went to, that served splendid coffee and a variety of home-made cakes. The weather always seemed to be warm and sunny and they had tables outside at the back in a pretty wee courtyard garden. There was a wee arcade of 'alternative' shops in the same complex. One sold clothes and fantastic cotton bedding and one sold hand-made cards. After the festival ended we went to Bradford on Avon once for a weekend and stayed in a wee hotel. We had great fun properly exploring the area and we walked along the Kennet & Avon Canal to Bath one day and caught the train back. Many happy memories... :luv:

LTC- I make that very chicken liver pate recipe! It is indeed a Delia recipe (though I imagine there are many similar ones). Haven't made it for a bit but really fancy it now.. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Seatallan wrote:
LTC- I make that very chicken liver pate recipe! It is indeed a Delia recipe (though I imagine there are many similar ones). Haven't made it for a bit but really fancy it now.. :hungry:

Cheers thought it was but I've been making it for so long I couldn't remember. :D
Good afternoon everyone,
I spent yesterday afternoon filling 80l tubs in my greenhouse for this years cordon tomatoes, I was a tired teddy last night but it was worth it. This morning I got the tubs planted up so I'm ready for a couple of hours of relaxing now. :D It's very overcast but dry so far, fingers crossed it will stay that way as I want to get some more flowers planted later. I've a lovely looking free range pork chop defrosted for dinner tonight with some new potatoes and veg it should make a fine meal :chops: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 19th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Evening
Back home shattered, won one lost one (match) today so no new prizes. Met up with lots of old friends and new ones, planned trips to more distant tournaments

It’s sunny here so will go and water my pots and tidy up a bit

Would love to go to something like the Green Man Zosh, think there were a couple of good events around E LONDON this weekend. Haven’t been to an actual folk festival in years last one was some time in the last century, Cambridge. Saw Kate and Anna McGarrigle, among others

Have a good evening everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 19th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Evening all :wave:

No I haven't jumped ship but we have either been out or the internet has been malfunctioning - for a change.

Our ballot paper for the Euro elections arrived late Saturday morning so absolutely no chance of posting them abck before Monday and our Post box doesn;t get emptied until lunch time so Mr R made a trip into town before we went to lunch to make sure (/) they would get there before Thursday , We could vot here but, as this will be our very last chance to vote in a UK election we opted for that.

Glad all went your way on Saturday Sue shame about today. I bet you are tired now.

It is cold again today and has been drizzling on and off the locals, including us are grumpy the tourists still optomistic in their shorts and open sandals.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 19th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Evening all :wave:

No I haven't jumped ship but we have either been out or the internet has been malfunctioning - for a change.

Our ballot paper for the Euro elections arrived late Saturday morning so absolutely no chance of posting them abck before Monday and our Post box doesn;t get emptied until lunch time so Mr R made a trip into town before we went to lunch to make sure (/) they would get there before Thursday , We could vot here but, as this will be our very last chance to vote in a UK election we opted for that.

Glad all went your way on Saturday Sue shame about today. I bet you are tired now.

It is cold again today and has been drizzling on and off the locals, including us are grumpy the tourists still optomistic in their shorts and open sandals.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 19th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Well, the garden's getting a good watering this afternoon, it's pouring. I was going to go for a walk but think not.

My coffee and walnut cake is in the oven. I have made so many cakes in my lifetime but am stupidly nervous about this one. It's a bit like Bake Off, six people unknown to each other asked to present a decent cake with very little brief on what is required and one doesn't want to let the side down! I have plenty of extra ingredients just in case. The mixture tasted nice anyway.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 19th, 2019, 5:41 pm

I'm sure it'll be lovely EM :luv:

But I know exactly what you mean. When you bake a cake for home consumption it invariably comes out a treat but when you bake it for a special occasion.... :rolleyes:

We've had no rain at all- indeed, the sun has been out for most of the day (though it has clouded over now). Shows how localized weather can be.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 20th, 2019, 4:41 am

Sea, I bought an ice cream in that very cafe, as you say very typical for BOA ! I also bought my leaded glass item in that parade of shops. The Moriss dancers (one of the many troups) was performing there. We were saying it would be a nice place to live.

I will make pate today, so thanks for the recipes. Looks like the Douglas Fir arrives this Wednesday - another bit should hopefully be finished this week.

I have a bit of a sticky head today :oops: :oops: It was Scarecrow thanks yesterday lunch time, I ended up at my cat sitters house and had another glass of red, got home at 4pm, brought the washing in and ironed and put it all away, then the heavens opened. Mr. Z got home at 4.30 and was starving so had an early supper and was tucked up by 9pm.

I think we have builders here today?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 20th, 2019, 5:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have to go over to Paphos this morning so will take the car in to the car wash, that's the one with the excellent café. I shall be forced to have a bacon roll whilst waiting for the car, oh dear :rolleyes:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 20th, 2019, 6:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I slept like a log :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 20th, 2019, 6:57 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out :bounce: :bounce: I need to pop over town to the surgery to drop off my repeat script this morning. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2019, 7:36 am

Morning all! :wave:

Shuddered at your comment Suffs. Ex OH had a set of jokes which were funny and adorable when I first met him but not 10 years later when the repertoire hadn't changed :lol:. 'Slept like a log, woke up in the fireplace', was one :rolleyes:.

Calm after the storm this morning and it's looking nice out there. Hoping it stays that way, it's the funeral this afternoon. Cake is waiting for icing, I made 3 layers in the end as I used an 8" mixture in a 9" tin and it looked a bit thin. Off for a walk to the shops first. Have a meeting to go to tonight, busy day.

I like visiting Bradford on Avon (the Green Man day sounded great) but wouldn't want to live there. Prone to flooding at river level and steep hills to climb everywhere else. I do have a favourite cafe though and the Arts are thriving there.

Better get moving ... have good day.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 20th, 2019, 7:54 am

I am back. :D The traffic was horrific the morning, I think everyone seemed to be taking the same shortcuts as me too. :rolleyes: But it's done now. OH has just taken the beasts out so I shall have a quiet :mug:
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 20th, 2019, 8:33 am

suffolk wrote:While I was listening to the Archers I made a ginormous moussaka

That has inspired me Suffs as I have all the ingredients :tu: I can't remember what I did while listening to the Archers yesterday .. probably not a lot ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 20th, 2019, 8:37 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Rather dull here but washing has gone out and fingers are crossed for the meteo to be correct. IA triumph of hope over experience if ever there was!

I hope the funeral goes as it should em and I'm sure the cake will be yumptious. I made a good old fashioned Victoria sponge on Saturday and filled it with a jar of 2016 strawberry jam which was lurking in the cellar and I found when putting away this year's batch. I took some to our uni friend who is going back to the UK this week to vote. He rarely has homemade cake because he has done all the cooking since his wife was no longer able,
Mr R has cousins in Bradford on Avon it is indeed a very pretty place.

I hope everyone has a good week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2019, 10:37 am

Good morning
It was clearly the night for sleeping like logs, I managed 10 hours actual sleep with only two brief wakes.
Glad I tidied up last night, I needed to do something pottering to unwind. All I have to do now is a thorough vacuuming and a bit of damp mopping

Out to local history society tonight, then off to Oxford for a jolly tomorrow, it’s forecast to be the one warm sunny day this week, so might head for the Botanic Gardens

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 20th, 2019, 11:42 am

Will be thinking of you EM- bet cake is delicious. Hope all goes well... :luv:

Zosh- never had an ice-cream from that cafe but bet it was lovely! :D I think I know the shop you bought the glass from. :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 20th, 2019, 11:47 am

Good afternoon everyone,
Hope all goes well today EM, your cake sounds lovely :)
I've spent the morning doing chores and getting a sourdough loaf underway in preparation for the kids arriving tomorrow. If it stays dry the garden beckons this afternoon.
I'll most likely be AWOL until next week and I get the house to myself again. We are hoping to get more done at my Dad's and just generally have a potter about as well as getting organised for a family gathering on Sunday. My son asked me to pop together a list of things I struggle to manage in the house and he'll do them for me - he may well regret his offer..... :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 20th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Morning all. I have been AWOL for a while but I am now done with school. Hopefully for good :shock: .
We went camping this weekend it was lovely to get away Mainly set by the fire and did nothing so nice and relaxing.
t is supposed to rain and possible hail and tornadoes here this afternoon so i need to get a move on and get the shopping done before it gets here.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hi mimi :wave:

Good luck with the tornadoes, but the camping trip sounds great, I’m trying to organise some trips for later in the year but won’t be camping, no longer have any equipment apart from one sleeping bag.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 20th, 2019, 12:56 pm

I have just put on a pot of beans to simmer in ham stock, Ham & Bean Salad for supper.

The car is gleaming.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 20th, 2019, 2:26 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I have just put on a pot of beans to simmer in ham stock, Ham & Bean Salad for supper.

Moira

On our way .... :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 20th, 2019, 2:45 pm

We bought a new tent this spring it is very nice and sturdy.
Hopefully a few more weekends in the cards for this summer.
Moira those beans sound good :hungry:

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Good to see you Nursemimi :wave:

Night night all ... sweet dreams ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 21st, 2019, 5:19 am

Good morning Wild Ones, avocado on toast for breakfast

The Ham & Bean salad was excellent, we were discussing how long it actually took to make. The ham was cooked together with an onion and peppercorns for three hours on Saturday, we had some for supper that night retaining a large jug of stock. Yesterday morning I soaked the dry beans, the soaked beans were then simmered twice, first in water then in the stock together with sliced onion and carrot, that took most of the afternoon. A classic case of only being able to make a dish if you had the time to make it, obviously I was doing other things at the same time.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 21st, 2019, 6:29 am

Moira you’re making me very hungry :hungry:
I’m sitting in bed (listening to a song thrush :luv: ) and aiming telepathic instructions to make coffee towards OH who is asleep and mlissfullh unaware of my need ... much more of this and I’ll have to get up and make it myself :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 21st, 2019, 7:05 am

Good morning wild ones. :mug: there you go Suffs ;) It's a tad overcast at the moment but we are promised sunshine later :bounce: it was lovely yesterday, the beasts were lay in it topping up the vitamin D :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 21st, 2019, 7:47 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun is shining from a clear blue sky, the birds are singing-except the swifts who are screaming around the hameau. our lovely Sonia is doing her usual hurricane act through the house today instead of Thursday because she has an appointment. We are also expecting the sweep. We have to have a certificate twice a year to keep the insurance going. Woe betide you if you have a chimney fire and you haven't got a valid certificate - and it has to be an approved sweep. No longer DIY or those log things you burn to get rid of the soot.

Hope you got the :mug: Suffs. Mr R just sticks his arm out of the bed and turns on the machine !
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am

Morning all! :wave:

Presumably you've consumed coffee now Suffs! If the weather is as nice there as it is here then getting out of bed may not have been such a chore.

Nice to see Mimi - hope the studies have gone well

Put like that Moira, the ham and bean salad sounds a real labour of love. Also a reminder of all the reasons why a 'simple' meal isn't always so cheap for those on a low income.

Pleased to say that yesterday's funeral went well and was very fitting. The sun shone throughout which makes huge difference in that particular church and was nice for the burial. The cakes all looked lovely, I was pleased with the appearance of mine and when DS had a slice I was relieved to find that the actual cake part was quite decent too.

A couple of days to myself now. Collecting new glasses this morning.

Rats- you have whirled my memory back to the great excitement of standing outside my grandmother's house waiting to see the sweep's brush appear at the top of the chimney!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 21st, 2019, 8:40 am

Ratatouille wrote:-except the swifts who are screaming around the hameau
We don't get swifts here, just swallows, the swifts go elsewhere on the island

Back from Lidl so cleaning materials have been topped up. I bought some cherries so that this evening we can sit on the terrace and chuck the stones over the railings. Apricots and peaches are also for sale but they are not ripe yet, I will leave it another couple of weeks. Next week if you go up to the mountains when you drive through the villages you will find elderly ladies sitting under parasols with a table in front of them selling cherries, do not trust the scales but the cherries are gorgeous.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 21st, 2019, 8:42 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad all went well yesterday EM.
The ham and beans sound delicious Moira :chops:
The sun is shining and I think I'm more or less ready for the kids arriving :D. Huge Tesco shop arriving in a bit so noone should starve.
I'm looking forward to a few days of "R&R" :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 21st, 2019, 9:00 am

Thanks for the :mug: Ice :D

A couple more had since then while I listened to the first of the 2019 Reith Lectures on Law and the Decline of Politics ... highly recommended ... listen again https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00057m8
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 21st, 2019, 11:25 am

Glad things went well EM :)

I remember the delight of waiting for the sweep's brush to appear from the top of the chimney when I was a child too! :D Talking of which, it's probably high time ours was swept again.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 21st, 2019, 11:47 am

Just heard on the news - it's not looking too good for Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 21st, 2019, 12:08 pm

Nope :( it’s sad ... there are too many restaurants in our towns ... folk just can’t afford to eat out as much as they used to and those that can are either going ‘high end’ or cheap and cheerful. We’ve lost several good ones in Norwich... including Carluccio and Jamie’s Italian, both of which were very good. Fortunately it looks as if Fifteen Cornwall has been protected. We’ve reallh enjoyed our visits there even if Newquay itself isn’t our favourite place.
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 21st, 2019, 3:38 pm

And now I see that Nan Winton has died at the age of 93. The first female newsreader on the BBC. It took the BBC to catch up with ITV and then went back to men only after "audience research". Times change...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-48348661
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » May 21st, 2019, 8:19 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Ratatouille wrote:
-except the swifts who are screaming around the hameau
We don't get swifts here, just swallows, the swifts go elsewhere on the island

We get House Martins in our area. Swooping around like mini fighter-jets.

Saw a Jackdaw at the weekend, not in the garden, but when I was out.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 21st, 2019, 9:36 pm

Very late today ! Stunning start to the day, clear, cool and sunny. Cooked a rhubarb, custard and cardamon polenta cake, Mums malt loaf and a large amount of pate (thanks LTC) Wuzzle gave it a :tu: Decided to have afternoon tea with Earl Grey with cat sitting fiends on the patio. Short notice but we put the world to rights again.

We also, started to create my temporary kitchen in the snug with the old Kushari table located near plug sockets.

Mr. Z. was brushing Scrumpy outside and he was not happy to have his tail brushed so he bit Mr. Z. on his thumb :o :o Scrumpy had his nose tapped !!!! Sally Anne Bandersnatch is slowly being accepted into the clan, She is obsessed with Scrumpy's tail too.... I suspect she will receive a swipe if she is not quick... Wuzzle is still 'complaining' bitterly... with a lot of glaring... :|

Tomorrow is porch day....! excited to see how the wood looks....

:cry: Scrumpy got a long tail tit fledgeling :cry:

EM glad your cake was :tu: at the funeral...

Moira would have liked to try the beans :hungry:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 22nd, 2019, 5:26 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we are in one of our hot spells. The ever helpful has put up a map showing an arc of hot weather stretching from Libya to Iraq, there is no breeze but luckily the humidity has yet to descend. Minimal cooking for the next couple of days.
The A/C has been serviced, we will not need it for at least another six weeks but it worth it. George said that he would be here within the hour, he kept his word, Cypriot hours have been known to stretch for a couple of days.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 22nd, 2019, 5:39 am

Just like Mr. Z's 'in a mo' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I woke up at 4am and let the fluffs out at 6am then watered new plants and beans. Sally Anne has beaten up my elbow again and is bouncing around the bed.

Lots happening today and we need to do more kitchen prepping/sorting.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 22nd, 2019, 5:49 am

An early start for a coach trip to Constable country ... must find something semi decent to wear ....
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 22nd, 2019, 6:08 am

Morning! Covering a sickness shift at work today so was hanging out washing at first light. I surprised a fox on my way to the car - he'd had a field day opening all the rubbish sacks in the neighbourhood put out for the dust man. All the foxes I see seem to have a slight limp, this one looked quite young.

Wish I was going on a trip to Constable country. I love that area.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop