Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby icelesley » May 22nd, 2019, 6:49 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :D Have a good trip Suffs :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » May 22nd, 2019, 7:35 am

Hello :hug:

Have been nursing a very poorly moo. :(

We are hopeful she is on the mend now. I was very poorly on Saturday. When I have an episode she gets very upset but looks after me like a trouper. She won’t leave my side. Saturday afternoon she started with an upset tummy. As most of you know she has a very sensitive tum and normally we can medicate her ourselves and normally within 36 hours she is back to normal.

This was different. Normally she is sick but this was the other end. :sprout: the weirdest thing was she was still begging for food which is unusual as her appetite is the first thing that goes. Anyway, we were in constant contact with the vets but because she gets so stressed in the car and even worse at the vets we took a joint decision to keep her at home. She was also drinking nicely but not to excess so we were keeping an eye on her hydration levels.

Anyway, for piece of mind yesterday we requested a home visit for her. The vet came out and reaffirmed we were doing the right thing. Normally you starve a dog for 24 hours but we had been advised to offer her small saucers of chicken and dry biscuits. The vet said she was well hydrated and to continue as we are but has issued very strong antibiotics. If this carries on past tomorrow we would have to re-evaluate.

We have planted sleepers in the garden and moo is always accompanied in the garden but occasionally jumps up into the beds but is immediately removed.

The reason for this long post is it is a very long shot but for the first time ever Bob planted some primrose plants. As said moo is always immediately removed from the beds but there may be a chance she had snaffled a leaf or two. She can be very fast. She had shown an unhealthy interest in them.

It is the only plant that has been introduced into the garden this year. She is always kept on a lead whilst on walks (absolutely no recall) so the chance of her picking anything up was remote.

Moo has responded very well so far to the antibiotics and had a really good night and so far her tum has settled so far.

The upshot of this post is I googled primroses and found that they are highly toxic to both dogs and cats. We removed every one immediately and while we cannot prove they were to blame it could have been the cause. :?

Just giving you guys a heads up if you have pets. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2019, 8:37 am

our garden and hedges have loads of primroses. the cats never bother with them either in flower or leaf. i realise dogs are more stupid than cats but it would surprise me if your dog had eaten primrose leaves; usually instinct overcomes stupidity in animals.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 22nd, 2019, 8:43 am

It does sound unlikely I must say. We have loads in the garden and I've never seen any of our cats take an interest. May just have been a coincidence jrc? Hope she's on the mend now :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby jrc » May 22nd, 2019, 8:55 am

Moo was showing an unhealthy interest in them. A bit like a small child if you forbid them to do something. :lol:

Because other friends with dogs have them in their garden it didn’t occur for us to check.

We just can’t find any obvious reason. As long as moo is on the mend. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 9:02 am

Good morning
Had a good sleep after walking round Oxford in the sun yesterday, it was much warmer than forecast, pleased I didn’t take a coat or jacket. I went to the Botanic Gardens, had a look at the architecture and walked around and looked at dresses in the shops. Bizarrely tried on one that was the same size and make as the top I was wearing but it was a fraction too tight, I’ve got several things in that size and make too. Will look at mail ordering the size up, I sometimes get discount codes for Lily & Me. I made the fit more difficult by having a good cheap Thai lunch in the covered market.

Need to get on a bit today

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 22nd, 2019, 9:20 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Thiere are 2 absolutely furious people here this morning. I expect some of you will have heard the news this morning that certain councils sent out their postal ballot papers , via a firm based i the Netherlands and that many people in France have not receivedd them in time to ensudre they are returned by tomorrows deadline. I mentioned i=on Saturday that ours had arrived late on Saturday morning and Mr R went in to town to try and catch the first post on Monday. After hearing the news, I spent most of this morning trying to contact the electoral office in Newcastle civic centre. They have not, to date, received our papers.

I have rung BBC Newcastle who aare going to do an item later and Mr R has been firing off cross emails to our MP and the leaders of the parties so we await responses.

Glad the puppy dog is getting better jrc hope you are too. -
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 22nd, 2019, 11:53 am

Ratatouille wrote:I have rung BBC Newcastle who aare going to do an item later and Mr R has been firing off cross emails to our MP and the leaders of the parties so we await responses.

Oh well done!! Do let us know how things continue. :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

I heard it mentioned on Victoria Derbyshire this morning, though I switched her off before I got to the long news items
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 22nd, 2019, 2:21 pm

Good morning. We have survived the flooding here so far but they are saying
More rain this week. Just what we do not need. Coffee being drunk here
waiting on grandson to arrive for the day. I have a turkey carcass simmering
For broth.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 22nd, 2019, 2:29 pm

Hello Mimi, I hope that you do not have much more rain.
My American friend in Pissouri is a keen member of Turtle Watch, no turtles so far, they usually hatch at around the time of the full moon. My friend tells me that there is a new hazard, visitors who come to watch the turtles emerge and find their way to the sea, they have seen it on TV and want to see it for themselves. The nests are easy to find as they are marked by cages put over them to deter foxes. Basically the visitors get in the way, some shine lights which disorientate the little creatures.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 22nd, 2019, 5:18 pm

Good Evening wild ones. Hi Mimi :wave: :wave: Hope you are OK. JRC I hope the moo is OK. We have had several deliberate dog poisonings here, one dog died. We have to be so carefull .
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 22nd, 2019, 6:47 pm

Well I did get a good slot on local radio this afternoon. Unfortunately so much else was going off this afternoon it didn't get on PM . However Newcastle city council did admit that they has boobed big time. Not that it did help all that much. Significantly the only party leader we have heard from in support was the Lib Dems.

Hi Mimi . I hope all the studying will prove fruitfull :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 22nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

I arrived home tonight to find assorted mail, several political leaflets and a brand new blue baseball cap lying on the doormat :? . I can't decide if it is a gift from a political party (that'd sway my vote for sure! :lol: ), a mischievous child posting it to play a trick on a friend or something to do with DS.

Rats :evil:.

Hope Moo is feeling better jrc.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 22nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

Hello folks I’m back after a lovely day out ... must put my feet up ... will read back properly tomorrow but for now :hug: :mug: and :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: as needed :D Was
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 22nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Carpenter called to say that due to his house sale and calls from Sols. porch delivery will now be tomorrow. Thankfully it will not hold up anything. I varnished the door frame, it looks so much better, might need another coat on the outside bit. Tidied up around the GH - it was an utter mess. Cleared some geraniums around young growth and sat in the sun with a bevvie !

Woke up at 4am so early night for me.....Yawn...

Frustrating Rats. We will be voting thanks to a call from a fellow neighbour. We had forgotten......

Town tomorrow and a dentist appt.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 23rd, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild ones, a bit murky here this morning.
Deb has a clinic appointment this morning, the clinic is about 200metres from Georges Material Shop, I shall pay them a visit as I need a another sun dress and a couple of sleeveless top.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2019, 6:57 am

Good morning
Bright and sunny her, no excuse for not walking to the polls

Actually off for a walk around the Thames and Battersea park

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 23rd, 2019, 7:10 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out :bounce: I have a dentist appointment at 11 o'clock so I may leave food shopping until tomorrow morning. I like to go early to miss the crowds. This afternoon we will walk down to the polling station to vote.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 9:18 am

Morning all! :wave:. Was so tired last night I went straight to bed when I got in from work and slept for 12 hours. It will be funny to adopt a regular sleep pattern when I retire.

Looks as though you had a lovely day out Suffs.

Sue's walk sounds lovely in the sunshine.

Sun out and everything looking nice here. Must get some shopping today - a night shift tonight which will confuse my body clock further :lol:. Yesterday's shift was one of the extras we have to do over the year, I will need to do 3 pro rata up to the time I leave and that was the third!! :bounce:
Tonight's is to pay back the person who covered Sunday night for me so I had time to do the cake and prepare myself for the funeral on Monday.

I am still none the wiser about the baseball cap.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 23rd, 2019, 10:03 am

It's true, IKEA are coming to Limassol, their sign is up on the side of the building :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I had to go into the bank, I tried to pay my CYTA bill and was told very firmly by the bank teller that he would have to charge me E2 and that CYTA was only 200 metres up the road, I did as I was told

Moira

Just found this on the BBC web site http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2019052 ... esar-salad
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 23rd, 2019, 10:12 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
Bright and sunny her, no excuse for not walking to the polls

I should be ashamed to admit this, but would someone care to enlighten me ? I have received nothing in the post, or through the door and neither seen not heard anything about this … I only found out this morning (while walking the latest 4 legged paying guest) that our local community centre is today a polling station … What are we voting for ? :oops: :oops: :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 10:27 am

Members of the European Parliament Pat. Because we missed our Brexit deadline we have to spend oodles of money on an election for representatives who won't have a job if/when we do leave. Important to vote all the same - maybe we'll get our moneysworth 8-). I'm surprised you haven't had any literature, if I get one more piece of paper with Nigel Farage's face on it I'll scream.
Last edited by earthmaiden on May 23rd, 2019, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 23rd, 2019, 10:30 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Yesterday was lovely ... the weather was great and the coach (brand new Merc) was very comfortable and well driven, and the tour guide pleasant and knowledgeable with a very good 'manner'. We explored the Long Melford/Lavenham area, stopping for coffee and lunch at The Bull at Long Melford and afternoon tea at The Swan at Lavenham. I teamed up with an older Austrian woman who was also unaccompanied and we had a hoot ... she readily agreed to my suggestion that rather loiter out in the street in the sunshine for 45 mins until lunchtime, an aperitif G&T on the terrace was called for ... she said she'd never have done it on her own ... I'm afraid I admitted that I would have ;)
Now for a day sorting out tomato plants etc etc etc :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

as long as you remember, patsy, that you don't need to have a polling card to go and cast your vote. you can do it without - you may need to take some form of identification - i think there was talk of bringing that in some time back.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 11:59 am

There was talk of bringing ID but I don't think it's been introduced anywhere here, I didn't need ID or card when I went to vote earlier in the month. One of my friends is a person who sits at the table (can't think what they're called), she wishes very much that people had to bring their card or ID - she says it makes it so much easier with names which are difficult to understand and spell because you can just read them and it saves the awkwardness of any communication problems too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 23rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

It is a beautiful and the bee eaters are in fine voice. I have never seen as so many poppy fields as there are this year. Everytime we go out there seem to be more. We got to the shops early this morning but it is rather w atse of time because the shelves are still being stocked. The stackers don't arive until 30 minutes before the stores open.

I had several messages form firnds and e- colleagues after last night's programme. Also if our papers didn't arrive in time we can vote again in the French Euros on Sunday

Glad you had a lovely day Suffs . It sounds very well organised. Unlike the tourits coach who flagged us down when we were we coming back home and wanted to know the way to the , then wanted to know if he could park up there and was quite miffed when Mr R told him - in his best German - that tourist coaches have to have a pre-arranged parking permit otherwise it was a very long walk!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 23rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

It seems that Ikea will only be a collection point for stuff ordered in Nicosia which is a disappointment but on the other hand a large shopping complex is reopening. There is an connecting shop arcade that has already started to reopen, I wonder if my favourite shoe shop will reappear?

WE have a yellow weather warning here because of the heat, the temperature is due to drop on Sunday.

Rats: I love Bee eaters

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 23rd, 2019, 2:00 pm

We have voted. Very little info, but we got a polling card at the same time as the ones for the local elections.

Difficult to know what to vote for. There's a choice of nine. Five are anti-immigrant or openly racist, one is a lone independent and the other three are on the sidelines looking on. At least the sales of milkshakes might help the farmers a bit. :)

The only hope is a confirmatory vote.

And lets hope that the exchange rate improves before we travel to Europe...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Busybee » May 23rd, 2019, 5:01 pm

Back from seeing the orthopaedic surgeon, the good news is that I don’t need surgery. The not so good news is that I am still sporting Cyril the cyber boot, back to see the consultant in two weeks for further assessment, that will be almost six weeks. I’m hopeful to shed Cyril at that point.

It does mean I’m a bit isolated as OH has gone to Greece sailing. Will have to rely on others to ferry me around. My best friend is also off to India on Tuesday so I’ll probably end up talking to the dog! Luckily I have got a fabulous dog walker that we use when we are in holiday so Archie will still get his exercise.

Trying to remain positive.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 23rd, 2019, 5:09 pm

aero280 wrote:
Difficult to know what to vote for. There's a choice of nine.

You’re lucky Aero. There were 21 on our voting slip! :o :o :o The last nine or so were just names so you hadn’t a clue. One surprising one was Animal Welfare.

We had propaganda from the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems. You’d think the other 19 might have mustered something. :? :? :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 23rd, 2019, 5:13 pm

BB, have you got Netflix? Time to have a binge.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2019, 5:49 pm

I voted without a card as I did it on the way home from the walk. The polling card is long, but you just need to put your X against the political party you favour as it’s proportional representation

Will be interesting to see how many people don’t vote as usual but go for a party more strongly Brexit (for example Brexit or UKIP) or more strongly Remain (such as Lib Dem or Green)

No results until Sunday evening when the last EU polling stations close

Was a lovely walk. We did part of the Thames path, taking a train out to Chelsea Harbour and walking back into Central London via Battersea Park.

Tired now of course
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 6:58 pm

I think that the parties are starting to appear on ordinary and social media in place of leaflet dropping these days dropping leaflets only where they think they'll have a chance with a bit of a push. I like the European elections as I can vote for who I really want with a good chance of them getting a seat (because of it covering a wider area and PR) rather than my usual tactical voting because this town only ever chooses one of the big two. I wonder who would win a general election at the moment. All the stuff through my door was Change or UKIP, neither of which attracted me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 23rd, 2019, 8:32 pm

The Conservatives apparently refused to canvass. They said that it would be a waste of time because, when Mrs May's deal was accepted, the MEP's would be redundant. Not sure about Labour. I think that the smaller parties are saving funds for the Confirmation Vote or a General Election. I see we had a UKIP leaflet, but I didn't see it until last night when I was emptying the bins. OH had already made the decision... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » May 23rd, 2019, 11:39 pm

Just in from processing postal votes.
I started at midday.
Winding down with a glass of wine then bed.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2019, 11:58 pm

Fell asleep
Someone just Tweeted the official list of candidates for NE England. The Brexit Party candidate, Brian Montieth, gives his home address as somewhere in France
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 24th, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, European elections are viewed differently in Cyprus, the island has done well on various benefits even if the EU does try to enforce H&S rules.
Mentioning H&S, we did go to Georges Material Shop yesterday, his sons and grandson have had complete tidy and rearrangement and replaced the highly dangerous stair carpet. You still have to navigate the bolts of material by the front door. I bought two dress lengths and material for two sleeveless tops

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 24th, 2019, 5:37 am

My douglas fir porch in 3 HUGE pieces arrived yesterday whilst I was in town. It is going to be a big beast when it is in situ. Looks glorious tho' - very very pleased with the look, large bowed gallow braces at the front and they are all pegged which just sets it all off perfectly, can't wait until the 3rd when it goes in.

It seems a professional (Polish we think) chap is coming to wash down the brickwork of the house, as the bricks went up in wet weather there is a fair amount of cement staining on the brickwork and the builder wants to showcase our property as his work so needs it to look good.

Sally Anne escaped thru the cat flap yesterday morning !!!! :o :o I was painting my table on the patio and the patio windows were closed behind me, she came haring past me - full tilt around the side of the house and out to the front, I caught up with her behind the recycling boxes....... So now she cannot be left unattended near the cat flap. She does not have her injections until later next month because if she goes out thru CF she is not big enough to reach it to come in again. She is at the moment trying to play with Griggia but she is having none of it....and is glaring at her as she lies on her back with her legs in the air. Nothing like a spot of kitten watching !

We have booked seats @ New College Oxford to see Agamemnon next month, a Greek Tragedy, right up Mr. Z.'s street.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2019, 6:26 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Sitting in bed with my coffee listening to a songthrush :luv:
Writing group this morning then maybe a trip to the coast ... perhaps ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 24th, 2019, 7:02 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again :bounce: I went to the chemist to collect my prescription only to be told it's not here. I dropped the repeat request off at the surgery on Monday, I usually collect on Thursday or Friday. Ah the rules have changed, you drop off on Monday you now collect the following Monday. But I run out of tablets on Saturday,so do I need to drop the repeat off earlier, no they will reject it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: she said come back tomorrow see if it's here then. If they think I am going back and to daily they can think again, I will ditch the tablets first.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 24th, 2019, 7:18 am

StokeySue wrote:Fell asleep
Someone just Tweeted the official list of candidates for NE England. The Brexit Party candidate, Brian Montieth, gives his home address as somewhere in France

:lol: You couldn't make it up, could you?
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2019, 8:22 am

Must get a lottery ticket https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/monks- ... -1-6068690

The Retirement Home for Dissolute Aging Wildies might just be on ... :bounce:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2019, 8:33 am

Good morning
Lovely day here, and few plans, so just pottering around, been gadding around too much

I think Jonny the builder is going to come and remove Jiminy Cricket today. Maybe.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 24th, 2019, 8:47 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Mr R has declared summer and removed his vest !! It's bound to rain now.

Gruney wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Fell asleep

:lol: You couldn't make it up, could you?

Oh yes I could! We know an expat here who voted leave :evil: It could have been him! He thinks Mr F is th best things since sliced bread and he will sort everything out.

I've just sorted out both fridges so I know exactly what I need from the market tomorrow. Mr R wanted to take me out for lunch on Sunday but it's the elections and La Fete des Meres so a tranquile restaurant lunch seems highly unlikely.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2019, 8:57 am

StokeySue wrote:.... I think Jonny the builder is going to come and remove Jiminy Cricket today. Maybe.

:bounce:

Keep us informed :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 24th, 2019, 9:01 am

Ratatouille wrote:Oh yes I could! We know an expat here who voted leave :evil:

Lordy!! :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2019, 9:08 am

Teresa May is announcing her resignation effective 7th June

Unleash the hounds
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 24th, 2019, 9:21 am

She showed more emotion than she has ever done. One couldn't help feeling for her as a human being.
Last edited by Ratatouille on May 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 24th, 2019, 9:24 am

Ratatouille wrote:She showed more emmotion than she has ever done. One couldn't help feeling for her as a human being.

I know. I'm not with her politically but I do feel sorry for her. She may not have handled things brilliantly but she's one of the few that's shown any real integrity or bottom throughout this sorry affair.
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop