Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby earthmaiden » May 26th, 2019, 8:50 am

Morning all! :wave:. Nothing like a free concert when it's welcome!

Glad Sally Ann is ok zosh :o.

Looks an ok sort of day out there. I shall be going to the garden centre later as they have weekend offers. Got the garden all tidied up yesterday and although I go by the 'ne'er cast a clout ..' rule I think it's near enough to June to be safe to plant a few flowers in pots and gaps and to get a couple of tomato plants. Some say the May relates to May blossom but we don't see much of that in the town without going for a walk to suitable places.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 26th, 2019, 8:59 am

It is the Pilgrimage season here, the coaches are going up to the mountain monasteries. It is also the wedding season, when I went to check what was happening on the beach I passed St Ermogenis taverna. There were tables, chairs and pergola tent set up the artificial turf football pitch, at least the noise will not upset the neighbours, the field is directly below the ruins of Ancient Kurion.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 26th, 2019, 11:39 am

Gruney.... :hug: :hug: :hug: Will keep all crossed....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 26th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

We voted at about 9.00am and it seemed as if the entire commune were there 0r, according to the elctoral register had already been. Highly amusing quite different from voting in the UK more formal and complicated but much more friendly with the "officials" stopping to ask after one's health, family etc. Everyone in the queue wanted to know about Brexit and what we were going to do - genuine interest too. Several people retired to the local bar afterwards to continue the discussion. We reckon thta everyone who was entitled to vote would have done so before lunch - which of course is still sacred here. It's Mothers' Day too.

I got back in time to put the all ready prepared duck on a high heat to roast. We have just enjoyed a lovely lunch a deux - rare treat.
Crispy roast duck with an orange and port sauce, fresh peas, bordelais turnips and new potatoes, followed by cheese and fresh strawberries.

Neither of us enjoyed The Favourite last night. We admired much about it, but it just didn't hold together and some bits including the "music" and the chapter titles were just plain annoying.

I'm deep in the French Open tennis at the moment but no matter if I watch on French or UK channels there are endless commercials.

Enjoy the rest of the day and look after those adventurous or poorly animals.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 26th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Nice sounding lunch Rats. :chops: We are just back from the pub quiz, didn't do very well but it was a giggle. No chips at half time just some nibbles.

First of the trades is here at 8am so getting an early-ish night. Mr. Z. is channel hopping :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He won't remember in the morning what he watched..... It's a warm night, lots of open upstairs windows as we walked home.

Sleep well all....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 27th, 2019, 4:54 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it is a working day here. We are going out for breakfast, Deb's Monday group is not meeting so it is posh breakfast at one of the big hotels.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 6:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

It’s a working day for OH too ... but I’ll make him roasted chicken and butternut squash and we’ll have broad beans from the garden so hopefully that’ll make it a bit special this evening. :D

We went to bed listening to Razorlight and then Noel Gallagher and his High Flying Birds performing in the park over by the UEA ... they sounded great ... problem is I now have Don’t Look Back In Anger as an ear-worm :lol:

Had a lovely day in the garden with DD yesterday ... she’s done some of the clambering and reaching stuff so I can get on with stuff more at ground level :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 27th, 2019, 7:11 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit drizzly at the moment, typical bank holiday weather :rolleyes: but we are told it will be better a little later. You will find me in the garden, several large shrubs were blown over in the wind yesterday afternoon, as quick as I righted them over they went again :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 27th, 2019, 7:26 am

Morning all! A dreary, damp day and I'm at work 'living the dream' as they say. 21 shifts to go ... :scared:.

You're certainly being treated to some good stuff Suffs.

A posh breakfast sounds wonderful.

Interesting election results .....
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 27th, 2019, 8:11 am

earthmaiden wrote:Interesting election results .....

indeed, it's a good illustration of how having one party with one aim can make it look like that's the will of the country when actually, adding up the totals of the pro remain parties it comes to more than five percent more of the vote than the brexit party got (discounting conservative and labour who aren't really sure what they want anyway - and who both did rather badly).
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 27th, 2019, 9:16 am

Yes, a very good result for “remainers”. Maybe the £ will be worth more when we drive off to Sweden soon.

The BBC show that the combined results for remain was 40.4%, with leave on 34.9%. The Conservative and Labour votes making up the rest.

EM - Only 21 shifts to go? Good luck! You will feel the relief and wonder how you ever had the time to go to work. :) I see the CEO left last week because of the leakage results. It’s possible that the inability to fix the problem is that they don’t employ many qualified engineers any more... :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » May 27th, 2019, 9:21 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lovely morning here and the sheets etc are already drying. But then it's not a bank holiday. Bet it rains on Thursday when there i!

We were fascinated to find that on the dot of 8.00pm after the polls closed there was an exit poll in France which gave the numbers to within a very few points as final result. 30 minutes laterthe results for our village popped up on their website. Interestingly they bucked the national trend En Marche came first and the Greens second.

Back in the uk if Labour want to get anywhere soon the bearded one is going to climb off the fence and say what their policy really is.
and are now going into vinegar and some evoo.
I've just been given a basket of tiny globe artichokes and the have been trimmed and simmered
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 9:48 am

Ratatouille wrote:if Labour want to get anywhere soon the bearded one is going to climb off the fence and say what their policy really is.
and are now going into vinegar and some evoo.

That might focus his mind a tad ;) :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 27th, 2019, 9:54 am

Good morning
Lovely sunshine here today
Not feeling very sunny about the election coverage though, think I might turn over to the French Open

:hug: :hug: :hug: for Gruney and the collies.

Think I’ll clear up and go for a stroll.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 10:02 am

Yes Sue ... thinking of Gruney :hug:

Also hoping that Tezza is getting back to full health and will be with us again soon :hug:

Here he veggies have been prepped for supper - potatoes for roasting are peeled and sitting in salted water, butternut squash is peeled and has been coated with olive oil and chilli flakes,I've picked the broad beans and parsley and the chicken has been massaged with garlic, thyme and olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt and pepper. Bread dough is proving and will go in the oven in about half an hour, the kitchen is clean(ish) and all I'm going to do now is sweep the floors ... then the day is mine to play with as I wish ..........
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 27th, 2019, 10:08 am

aero280 wrote: EM - I see the CEO left last week because of the leakage results. It’s possible that the inability to fix the problem is that they don’t employ many qualified engineers any more... :o

Very sad. He did more for the Company than any other since 1991 in so many areas, a great loss. The rest of the discussion probably not for here ... :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

We went to the Four Seasons for breakfast, they remembered us from last time, tripping and throwing a plate of smoked salmon in the air is pretty memorable. We had a different combination of items this time, I started with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Deb had fruit, beautiful thick local yoghurt and honey in the comb, the honey was still in the frame , the cells were still capped and no detritus such as dead bees. She then went on to the cold meats and a lovely little mange tout salad

You are always offered fresh orange juice, I amused the lady on the next table by adding a glass of prosecco to mine, DIY Bucks Fizz. Filter coffee comes in nice little vacuum jugs, refilled on request. The coffee goes very well with the little viennoiserie type pastries including tiny kukulhupf style brioche.
As before I was amused by the children, some were very good with their bowls of fruit and cereal but what most of them to want was American style pancakes and Nutella.
We will not be eating lunch, supper was going to cheesy biscuits but Popi next door has handed a bag of apricots over the fence so it will be a handful of apricots for supper.

Suffs, I have to disagree with you, I would find the noise from the park very intrusive.
EM: I know exactly how you feel

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 27th, 2019, 10:24 am

suffolk wrote:Yes Sue ... thinking of Gruney

Thanks both. He's coming home this afternoon, and will need to be carefully watched - there could be a peritonitis problem if the intestinal stitches fail, and immediate action required.. Apparently the nurse has fallen in love with him - that's such a very easy thing to do.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 27th, 2019, 10:36 am

Good morning everyone,
:hug: :hug: Gruney
I've just waved my younger son off, my elder son and his fiancee left first thing, so time for a quick :mug: before I get cracking on the laundry and tidying needed to put the house back to rights. It's been lovely have them here but I'm ready for a quiet few days.
There was nine of us for dinner yesterday and we had a veritable feast of superb venison sausages & burgers from https://www.winstonchurchillvenison.com/ (the best I've ever tasted) and a selection of lovely fish from the fishmonger in town including a whole cod which I baked with harissa, squid, langoustine tails and salmon. We had to hoped to bbq but the weather wasn't good enough. With salads and a big bowl of Jersey Royals it was a lovely meal which we all thoroughly enjoyed.
There's bits and pieces of leftovers so I'm not planning on cooking today :D .
With the help of my son I finally managed to get my flower garden finished and the greenhouse filled. He set my veg tubs in my veg plot so getting it planted up is my next challenge, like the flowers I'll try and do a bit every day.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 11:19 am

Moira ... with the double glazed windows shut and the tv or radio on you’d hardly notice the music if at all
... however we liked the music ... we have very eclectic tastes ... we sat in bed with the windows wide open 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 27th, 2019, 11:25 am

Hope all is well Gruney :hug: :hug:

Ratatouille wrote:Back in the uk if Labour want to get anywhere soon the bearded one is going to climb off the fence and say what their policy really is.

Both Mr S and I tactically voted Lib Dem (most unusual for us). No choice really- we're dyed in the wool Labour but let's face it, these Euro elections were a one trick pony as far as the UK is concerned and we had to vote for a party with a clear remain stance. I was glad to see that the remain total vote was so healthy.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 27th, 2019, 11:46 am

Has any one noticed that a baby is due :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 27th, 2019, 11:47 am

Me tool Sea. Labour still just beat them here though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby uschi » May 27th, 2019, 11:48 am

Guten Tag everyone!!!
Get well soon Gruney's doggie!!!

Axel voted Social Democrats (more or less labour) and I voted Green, as usual. We both sit a bit on the fence with our choices, each leaning to the other's favoured party a bit, so we make a good team.
I am a bit chagrinned that the AfD (far right) got 10%, but there's nothing to be done.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I think/hope that if the more extreme parties (within the law of course) have a legitimate arena for their views and a modicum of responsibility for a range of policies rather than being able to rabble rouse on a one platform basis, it may reveal their feet of clay.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 27th, 2019, 12:34 pm

A German politician pointed out that the queue for the PM is larger than the number of conservative MEPs :lol: :lol:

The thought of the charming coalition of Farage, Marine Le Pennand and the Italian party led by Salviniti is not an apealing thought at all.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » May 27th, 2019, 1:11 pm

If ever they win the majority, we will have to get up into the trees by the count of three. :?
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Oooh, not sure if my knee’s up to that Uschi :scared:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 27th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Mine neither Suffs. French news is very interesting tonight. It would seem they are very cross about Farrage trying to take over everything without a national mandate to speak . I still haven't heard if our votes arrived but there is now a cloud funding attempt to challenge the failure to get the ballot papers in time/

Never mind there is nothing on telly tonig ht so it's back to Game of Thrones,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 27th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Got home in time to watch local news and some national. Seems we're in even more of a muddle than we were before :rolleyes: :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 27th, 2019, 8:10 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Has any one noticed that a baby is due :D

Moira

Yep - and I wanted it, as it's my B-day soon, but it looks like I'll miss it - again :( Even had a name in mind.

:(
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 27th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Keep an eye on it Grassy.
It might be your day.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Will be out most of tomorrow tho.
*sigh*
:(
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 27th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Just dropped in to say hi the weather here has been awful but we are fine

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 27th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Evenin' all, very late, a day of emptying a kitchen, cleaning cabinets and clearing greenage with Eric. The deed is done with some help from a local farmer and some heavy equipment being used. We are both knackered but elated that the job has been completed.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 28th, 2019, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Zosh, what will you do when the house is finished?
I must go down the hill for some routine shopping otherwise there is nothing exciting on cards.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 28th, 2019, 5:39 am

Hi Moira, hopefully sit back, take it all in and enjoy not having a list as long as your arm.....We are off to Istria at the end of Aug. so that is our goal, hopefully everything will be done by then. I booked a B&B close to Stanstead last Sat. we can leave the car there as well for our time abroad, it looks a nice place http://www.littlebullocksfarm.co.uk The owner was very accommodating.

Today I need to attach some mosaics (the same as are in the new ensuite) to a large bevelled mirror that Mr. Z painted blue for me yesterday. I had repaired the wood previously so he rubbed it down and painted it to match. Then it can be put up in the ensuite - another tick off the list !!!

A slight contratont (sp) with :evil: yesterday. We were clearing long whippy branches from the access road and :evil: walked down, I got a whip branch caught on a hedge and she accused me of aiming for her, I was doing the exact opposite ! Thankfully there were independent witnesses there. It's a very controlling situation, he will speak and acknowledge us/me if he is on his own but if they are together, he will totally ignore us. I think he is under strict instructions to ignore us/me, I think :evil: is grooming him !!! :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 28th, 2019, 5:44 am

Morning all! Fine but chilly this morning. The work air con appears to have been set to summer mode too. Brrrrr ... :rolleyes:.

Hope the 'birth' goes well. I don't think we'll stem it out until grassy's birthday. I can't remember which way we're going with letters for the name.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 28th, 2019, 6:13 am

earthmaiden wrote: I can't remember which way we're going with letters for the name
It should be a female name starting with W

Zosh, I bet that you start another project :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 6:23 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

OH has got 3 days off in a row!!! :bounce: it’s short notice ‘cos they need him to open up over the weekend :rolleyes: but the new manager starts his induction next week :tu:

I’ve just tiptoed down and made my own :mug: so OH can sleep in ... I realised that the garden waste bin should go out today so I did that while in my dressing gown (well ... my summer one, so more of a ‘silk peignoir’ rather than a fluffy one : )

It’s around 12C and rising out there.

Good to hear from you Mimi :D :wave: ... glad you and yours are ok. :hug: I was aware there had been tornadoes over there but to be honest our news has rather been taken up with UK and Europe etc ... we’ve not given the US much attention.

Female names beginning with ‘W’ .... well, East Anglia has a saint ... she has churches and roads named after her ... so why not ... :?:
Last edited by suffolk on May 28th, 2019, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 28th, 2019, 6:54 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining, heavy rain, the plants are loving it. The potatoes have sprung up a good two inches overnight. :o
:wave: hi Mimi, glad you are ok.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 28th, 2019, 8:21 am

It will be Watermelon & Feta salad for lunch, the lad was just bringing a tray of fresh cut melon when I got to the shop, the rolls originally intended for lunch are in the freezer.
There is a smell of cooking bacon coming from the kitchen, Deb is making Quiche Lorraine for supper.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 28th, 2019, 8:42 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is lovely and sunny but there is a strong Mistral and the sky looks as if it is full of flying saucers - lenticular clouds. I'm not al all surprised that they have been taken for UFOs.

I love watercress and feta Moirs. we are getting rather nice Spanish melons which are seedless at the moment. The bonus is the hens love the skin

I cooked the duck carcass last evening and I am going to make duck and green pea soup for lunch with some fresh scones. Tonight Mr R is getting his heart's desire - Cunberland sausages which Paul brought from the UK. Not that Mr R deserves them because he had a disastrous day yesterday - broke my precious ceramic measuring spoon, left the freezer door open overnight and knocked one of my hanging baskets off the pergola when he was watering it.

Enjoy the backgammon Sue
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 28th, 2019, 9:39 am

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining before what looks like a few days of wet weather coming in. I have few housey/admin things needing done but they can wait until it's raining and I'm heading into the garden. I want to get some tubs ready for my various beans and plant some salady bits and would prefer not to get soaked doing them ;) .
My fridge is still full of post-kids being home bits so not much by way of cooking is needed today. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 10:11 am

We have rain and will have it until Thursday evening ... the duration of the Suffolk Show ... as is usual for any event Bro has a hand in :lol: hopefully this year East Anglia will avoid the strong winds that have plagued the show for the past couple of years!
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 28th, 2019, 10:18 am

Should I put the kettle on?

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 28th, 2019, 11:04 am

Good morning. It should be a fairly good day today. Sounds like you are all having a busy day
I have tomatoes and peppers to plant out. So that will keep me busy this morning. But not
Till :mug:

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 11:34 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Should I put the kettle on?

moira

If you’d be so kind Moira ... warm towels at the ready ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 11:59 am

Someone’s not pushing .........
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 28th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Ratatouille wrote:the sky looks as if it is full of flying saucers - lenticular clouds. I'm not al all surprised that they have been taken for UFOs.

I do love lenticular clouds Rats. :luv: There's nearly always one sitting above Cross Fell when we're up that way.

Oooh- birth getting very close!! :D
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop